• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT| Thy path has been tested, now fight unkindled ash

Status
Not open for further replies.
For all people playing Strength builds, there is an incredibly powerful weapon available in the
Road of Sacrifices
, which is accessible straight after beating the second boss.

Well, second boss down.

I have to say, the difficulty in this game is...different.

For me, the regular enemies are MUCH harder than previous games, while the bosses are much easier (so far).

For example, it took me like ~5 tries to beat the
big axe knight in the plaza/fountain area in Lothric
, but both bosses took me 1 and 2 tries, respectively. Huh. Anyway, I dig the game so far, but it's not quite up to DS1/BB levels yet. The combat feels fine, but the regular enemy difficulty feels a little too hard/frustrating at times, but it could be my build.

Speaking of which, I am overwhelmed with the extra stats in this game. They all seem really important (unlike previous games *cough* resistance. So I gotta ask...what are you guys going for?

I was planning on doing a DEX build with some minor spellcasting elements, so I picked Assassin out of the gate. However, looking at the stats, seems like these are all going to be important:

Vigor
Attunement
Vitality (So i can roll? Do I really need this, though?)
Endurance
Dexterity
Intelligence

Damn, that's like 3 more stats that I'm used to juggling in these games. Any advice on what do ignore? Out of habit, I've been alternating between DEX, VIG (the new VIT), and END for rolling. I added STR once to use the Katana, and I think I put like 1 or 2 in INT for funsies. So I'm kind of still all over the place.

Ideally you want to end up with 30+ Vigor, 30+ Endurance and 40 Dex if you're going a dex build, the rest is all optional. Unless you're planning to wear heavy armor, in which case you'd need more Vitality too, but I didn't bother.

Soulflarz

Banned
hmm
which one?
Farron Greatsword or Wolf Knights Greatsword?

Also getting that left eye, too useful and I don't use maces.
Got havels ring too
THANKS GUYS <3

So my friend has a problem, he's new to Dark Souls being this his first title and he accidentally started attacking the guy crouching up near the steps in the "main" area. Is there a way to go neutral again with this guy or should he just start again?

Dude's not important on a first playthrough, tell your friend to just kill him. Murdering people gets you new shop items in firelink.

Kalentan

So maybe it's just me and it's because this is the first area after reaching the
Firelink Shrine
, but outside that Katana enemy, this has been easier than most of the other Souls games. Like, stupid easy.

Jobbs

Banned
Legit cannot beat the first boss. Dozen attempts so far, can barely get it below 50%. Wow.

in his first form it's pretty easy to roll out of the way of his attacks or block them (this is more advisable if you are a knight or herald).

once he mutates, stay CLOSE and keep circling and move when he attacks and then let him have it!

Just getting off for bed, but decided I'd try a Mercenary out first because I was thinking about rolling a Katana character instead of my Knight. After dying three times to the Crystal monster at the start of the game I have changed my mind on that.

Rokal

Coming immediately off Bloodborne and having a hard time adapting to DS3. I picked the dual wield starting class which has no parry without a shield and seems to offer almost 0 benefit when you do dual wield. Additionally, all the enemies seem to have longer reach in DS3 compared to Bloodborne so I'm dying pretty often.

I can make progress much easier with sword + board but I'd prefer to avoid that build since I got bored of it after Demons Souls. Any tips for getting a build to work that makes this play like Bloodborne? I want a reliable fast parry and dodge combat at the end of the day

Kalentan

Choose deprived, then. Huge difference :)

Yeah but... I feel like the others were harder even when you choose anything else. This is... Like... Really easy...

I don't know, maybe cause I just played over 15 hours of Dark Souls 2 in the past 2 days and coming from that...

MUnited83

For you.
So maybe it's just me and it's because this is the first area after reaching the
Firelink Shrine
, but outside that Katana enemy, this has been easier than most of the other Souls games. Like, stupid easy.

Oh, it is. So far it's the easiest early game of the whole series. The enemies seem to have almost no poise whatsoever, so you can just mash R1 away lol

edit: I'm using Assassin.

Jobbs

Banned
I feel like Knight is straight OP early game lol

definitely one of the easiest starting sets. Nice armor, strong shield, and a longsword which is a solid easy to use weapon.

Herald is the other newbie friendly one. Also has the armor and shield and can heal.

in his first form it's pretty easy to roll out of the way of his attacks or block them (this is more advisable if you are a knight or herald).

once he mutates, stay CLOSE and keep circling and move when he attacks and then let him have it!

Once it mutates I can't tell what it's attacking or in what direction and I'm dead in seconds. Out of flasks at that point too.

There's no way to summon for this fight is there? :I

Yo what is it that causes the
big pyromancer women with clubs
to appear near the (early boss spoiler)
rotting tree boss
?

They weren't spawning originally but after dying to the boss there is one there every time, really makes it difficult to retry the boss. Is this a new "fuck you go try something else" mechanic or have I missed something
?

Insaniac

anyone having issues with multiplayer using passwords? can't seem to find my friends. We're just starting out, so there's very little level difference

rotting tree boss
?

They weren't spawning originally but after dying to the boss there is one there every time, really makes it difficult to retry the boss. Is this a new "fuck you go try something else" mechanic or have I missed something
?

She patrols that whole road leading up to the boss, seemed to be random to me. You probably just didn't see her before.

Rokal

Once it mutates I can't tell what it's attacking or in what direction and I'm dead in seconds. Out of flasks at that point too.

There's no way to summon for this fight is there? :I

Best suggestion for any souls game will be to observe from safer distances and use your dodge. You can be close enough to cause bosses to attack but still safely roll out of harms way. Once you learn how it attacks you'll see openings. Running in and praying for the best will never get you far.

MUnited83

For you.
rotting tree boss
?

?

weird aggro. She is usually on that area outside of the boss, right at the end, but sometimes she aggros all the way up to the boss door area.

Lyng

definitely one of the easiest starting sets. Nice armor, strong shield, and a longsword which is a solid easy to use weapon.

Herald is the other newbie friendly one. Also has the armor and shield and can heal.

Ah so as someone who never played a Soulsborne game before Herald would be a good choise.
Going to do that then.

Cant wait till I get off work so I can get home and try this. Really stoked.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
rotting tree boss
?

?

Depending on how you try to approach the boss, she spawns at the bridge where you come out from the shortcut with the rats in the sewer. Sometimes she falls down into the pit of her own volition. Are you talking about seeing more than one? There's only ever been one for me.If you don't see her on the main path, then if you go down to the pits, she's always been there for me unless she died in the fall.

Soulflarz

Banned
oh- do greatswords have the amazing joke spin of DS?
I can't explain the sheer joy it brought me in DS to run through enemies tapping R1 and insta killing 4 as I spun through them.

Just started playing. This seems to be the perfect fusion of everything FROM has learned from Demon's, Dark, and Bloodborne.

I think I'm in love.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom