• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT| Thy path has been tested, now fight unkindled ash

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hugstable

Banned
forever.

dark souls 2 was still very busy up until the launch of this game, and Dark 1 & Demon's still had online activity when I played them last year (including multiple invasions in Demon's!)

I can confirm Demon's online still has tons of people playing! Been going for the plat recently to hype me up for DS3 and had a bit of fun duels with others in Demons

Does the over-grown Crystal Lizard drop anything useful?

Beat the first boss on my first try and went back to check out this thing and he's killed me twice.

Hypron

Cool, I guess I'll stick it out. I'm also trying to force myself to use the stance more. Are there any other cool quality swords I can look forward to that you know of?

I don't know the name of the sword since I played in Japanese but I used a fast straight sword for more than 50 hours. I think it dropped from knights in the first area after the tutorial. I'm not entirely sure it was from them though. It scaled with both dex and str. It did good damage (~50 less than the Claymore when fully upgraded, but it was faster and had a lower stamina cost).

There are some pretty good bows as well. I had one that did more than 400 damage. Pick up some
Kukris
when you find them. They're good for finishing off enemies and do 300+ damage when you have decent str and dex.

tariniel

Where's a good starter STR weapon? I started as Warrior. Should I just start upgrading the starting axe? Im on the 2nd boss and dont think I need the damage yet (did a dry run because when I got to him I was out of estus, got him to half health without getting hit).

This game is extremely fun so far. It looks and runs great after some initial hiccups.

So far I've gone 20 vigor and 20 str, not sure how to proceed there either.

Wait, there's only a lower than 70% roll?

I'm pretty sure sub 50 gets more distance. You can totally reach a point where you can't roll at all. 60+ is a slower, 70+ Flops and at some point your dude can't move.

Where's a good starter STR weapon? I started as Warrior. Should I just start upgrading the starting axe? Im on the 2nd boss and dont think I need the damage yet (did a dry run because when I got to him I was out of estus, got him to half health without getting hit).

This game is extremely fun so far. It looks and runs great after some initial hiccups.

Just to the right of the first bonfire on the wall of lothric there's a dude with a great axe. He drops it if you're persistant, thing's a monster but it needs 32 str. It made most bosses a "hit it 10x and win" scenario.

KingKong

Gotta say I'm a little dissapointed theyre letting you fast travel right away again, it really takes away from the atmosphere and doesnt give you that feeling of dread that DS1 had

I don't know the name of the sword since I played in Japanese but I used a fast straight sword for more than 50 hours. I think it dropped from knights in the first area after the tutorial. I'm not entirely sure it was from them though. It scaled with both dex and str. It did good damage (~50 less than the Claymore when fully upgraded, but it was faster and had a lower stamina cost).
Hmmm, might it be the standard longsword?
http://darksouls3.wiki.fextralife.com/Longsword

Moaradin

What do I do to make it so I can wear heavier armor without fat rolling? Playing a lot of Bloodborne made me completely forget about the equip load system.

Wow, choosing deprived makes the game so hard in the beginning. I died to that first boss 6 times and had trouble staying alive during the first area in general, haha!

Is it that much easier with knights and the other classes? Compared to other Souls games this is by far the most challenging first part for me.

Tenebrous

Deacons of the Deep
dead. Despite it
being a bit of a freebie & going down on the first try, I did enjoy the encounter. I should've figured it out sooner, though (I was actually going after the candles originally).

What do I do to make it so I can wear heavier armor without fat rolling? Playing a lot of Bloodborne made me completely forget about the equip load system.

Increase Vitality to increase your equip load, I believe.

Onemic

So if you're talking about the one on the roof with the 3 cross bowmen. That's the Pyromancer. Maybe?

It's in the first zone where the first
Tower Shield Knight
is, I believe.

Also all those armored guys drop their shields, it's 6.5 weight but it's actually really good for lightning resist.

......omg really? Gonna have to restart my character then

Thumbs up. Looks a bit like my best DSII character.

I never will get the complaints about the character creator in From Soft games. Spend a few minutes and get a good looking character...It's so easy. My first try. Only 15 mins. Get the good looking chars rolling people!

Oh, Are we doing this already?

Ladies and Gentlemen: My character, Makoto Yuki (Twitter quality)

Cf0a0ErVAAAtoIz.jpg:large

RiccochetJ

Gold Member

Bump your Vitality and/or find some rings. When you level up, the stat that gets bumped is highlighted.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Man, was going at a good clip up until the (mild area spoiler)
forest/swamp area on the way to the undead legion crypt
- cant quite get the enemy patterns down, and the shield has shifted into a crutch instead of a tool.

Need to work on my sidestepping and telegraphing some.

Ogawa-san

In case someone's wondering what the Grave Key (that opens a door in Undead Settlement) is for:

You'll get a better halberd, a loincloth, access to that area under the bridge that you can't jump to without dying (that has a couple items plus a crystal lizard), and unlock the NPC that sells miracles

Timeaisis

Well, second boss down.

I have to say, the difficulty in this game is...different.

For me, the regular enemies are MUCH harder than previous games, while the bosses are much easier (so far).

For example, it took me like ~5 tries to beat the
big axe knight in the plaza/fountain area in Lothric
, but both bosses took me 1 and 2 tries, respectively. Huh. Anyway, I dig the game so far, but it's not quite up to DS1/BB levels yet. The combat feels fine, but the regular enemy difficulty feels a little too hard/frustrating at times, but it could be my build.

Speaking of which, I am overwhelmed with the extra stats in this game. They all seem really important (unlike previous games *cough* resistance. So I gotta ask...what are you guys going for?

I was planning on doing a DEX build with some minor spellcasting elements, so I picked Assassin out of the gate. However, looking at the stats, seems like these are all going to be important:

Vigor
Attunement
Vitality (So i can roll? Do I really need this, though?)
Endurance
Dexterity
Intelligence

Damn, that's like 3 more stats that I'm used to juggling in these games. Any advice on what do ignore? Out of habit, I've been alternating between DEX, VIG (the new VIT), and END for rolling. I added STR once to use the Katana, and I think I put like 1 or 2 in INT for funsies. So I'm kind of still all over the place.

Carl7

You can buy the havel ring and another one similar to fap ring. I almost sure you get both by trading boss souls.

Well, second boss down.

I have to say, the difficulty in this game is...different.

For me, the regular enemies are MUCH harder than previous games, while the bosses are much easier (so far).

For example, it took me like ~5 tries to beat the
big axe knight in the plaza/fountain area in Lothric
, but both bosses took me 1 and 2 tries, respectively. Huh. Anyway, I dig the game so far, but it's not quite up to DS1/BB levels yet. The combat feels fine, but the regular enemy difficulty feels a little too hard/frustrating at times, but it could be my build.

Speaking of which, I am overwhelmed with the extra stats in this game. They all seem really important (unlike previous games *cough* resistance. So I gotta ask...what are you guys going for?

I was planning on doing a DEX build with some minor spellcasting elements, so I picked Assassin out of the gate. However, looking at the stats, seems like these are all going to be important:

Vigor
Attunement
Vitality (So i can roll? Do I really need this, though?)
Endurance
Dexterity
Intelligence

Damn, that's like 3 more stats that I'm used to juggling in these games. Any advice on what do ignore? Out of habit, I've been alternating between DEX, VIG (the new VIT), and END for rolling. I added STR once to use the Katana, and I think I put like 1 or 2 in INT for funsies. So I'm kind of still all over the place.

Vitality only if you're going to be using heavy or mid armor. If you stay in leather-like stuff you'll be fine. I think the heaviest curved great sword is 17, if it's your goal, you might want vit.

I only raised STR, Vig, and Vit to 40 and dex to 18 and i'm flattening most things.

HowZatOZ

Banned
So my friend has a problem, he's new to Dark Souls being this his first title and he accidentally started attacking the guy crouching up near the steps in the "main" area. Is there a way to go neutral again with this guy or should he just start again?

Is it easy to find embers? I want to coop but I don't want to waste all my embers if I keep dying.

Should get embers if you drop your sign, or at least be reignited. That's how it worked in DS and 2. I haven't played since the Xbox's actual launch so multi's a mystery to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom