• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT2| Welcome to NG+, Unkindled One

Status
Not open for further replies.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Should I go thru
Irithyll Dungeon
area first or
finish up Irithyll of the Boreal Valley?

myco666

How the hell do you do anything with the auto invade covenants? I thought the problem was being over-leveled but even with my new character, who should be right around the ideal level, I just cannot invade as a Watchdog of Farron.

You just wait and hope that they work.

Skii

There is a
covenant
available if you look around.

Really? Rough area? Is it in the
cathedral?

I would stick around a little bit and try to find a particular NPC if you haven't. He should be near the switches you were talking about. Did you talk to Siegward in the well?

I'll have a look in that area. Sure I didn't see anyone. But do those switches doing anything special then?

I didn't see him at all. I saw a message near
the well
and tried to interact with it but nothing happened. How does his story go?
the last I saw of him was being asleep after that battle with the fire demon
...Please don't tell me I've fucked up his story :(

I have the Eyes of the F
ire
K
eeper
now,
i know this triggers an alternative ending, my question is, what are the main differences between normal ending and alternative ending? number of bosses? exclusive weapons and armor?
Thanks.

It's just a different ending, you'll still fight the same amount of bosses.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Defeated optional bosses
Champion Gundyr
and
Ancient Wyvern
. Both fights took three attempts each. The former was a really intense battle with a very formidable opponent. Very much enjoyed it. The latter took me one try once I realized the trick.

Now I'm fighting the infamous
Nameless King
. I actually got him to a quarter health on my first try, but as is Souls series fashion, every latter attempt has been less impressive. I'm able to easily
pass the first phase
, but the
second phase
is giving me some issues. I know I'll get him if I just take a break from the game for a bit.

Archdragon Peak is a stunning location, by the way.

SL 91 and 35 hours in. All that's left after this is the final boss. :)

Toxi

Banned
God, this game has so much fanservice for Dark Souls and Dark Souls 2. I love it and really hope this is the last Dark Souls game, because it's the perfect sendoff for the series.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
I'll have a look in that area. Sure I didn't see anyone. But do those switches doing anything special then?

I didn't see him at all. I saw a message near
the well
and tried to interact with it but nothing happened. How does his story go?
the last I saw of him was being asleep after that battle with the fire demon
...Please don't tell me I've fucked up his story :(

The switches have to do with the NPC I'm talking about. It's weird,
Siegward should be in the well. Maybe there's more than one well
, I don't know.

Other then that, this is no DS2.
I've just seen a post about how DSIII has the worst Souls bosses because they are all dudes in armor. Yeah this thread is pretty much in love with the game, but everywhere else on the forum it's overwhelming dislike it seems. Oh well. I just need to stop caring.

Tecnniqe

Banned
God, this game has so much fanservice for Dark Souls and Dark Souls 2. I love it and really hope this is the last Dark Souls game, because it's the perfect sendoff for the series.

Well, its a trilogy right?

Not sure if they said anything about it but id defiantly want some more souls, or BB, well, really anything like this, universe don't matter! Its great!

Apparently that's pretty widespread on PC according to Oroboro. Lots of posts on Reddit on that too. If you PvP with a hacker, they can mess with your stats, and it doesn't show up in the menus. And you get flagged and banned despite being innocent.

It's fucking awful.

Wow holy shit. I'm gonna be more careful.

Every time I play I always back up my save files at the end so hopefully I don't get boned.

Really enjoying the game. I think it's my favourite of the Dark Souls trilogy by far.

Zeliard

yeah the fight club has been surprisingly fun. Everybody respects the rule except the occasional douchebag who fucking sees you chugging your estus flasks at the beginning to show him you don't have any left, and he heals midway through the fight.

Why you gotta break my heart bro

I've only had people chug estus a couple times in fight club duels. The first time, the guy just stopped and immediately threw the I'm sorry carving, then chugged all of his remaining estus. Clearly an accident, the poor soul.

The second time a player chugged once, it was brushed off as a one time thing, and then when he chugged again on low health like 4 people including the host just rushed the arena and ganked him. It was pretty amusing to watch.

Don't do this guys. Drink all the estus you want during invasions and the like, but if you're summoning someone for a duel or you're in a fight club, don't heal. It's especially shitty to do as host because you have 2x the estus flasks of the phantom you summoned, so between two roughly similar players in skill/gear, it's a losing battle of attrition and a dull affair. I'm going to just black crystal out if I see a host chug during a duel, not even worth trying to land the undead charm on them.

Tecnniqe

Banned
Wow holy shit. I'm gonna be more careful.

Every time I play I always back up my save files at the end so hopefully I don't get boned.

Really enjoying the game. I think it's my favourite of the Dark Souls trilogy by far.

Don't matter with how its built. The moment the game autosaves (which is all the time) it uploads the save to their server and once that is done your SteamID gets flagged.

Found a massive post on steam about it.

Literally nothing you can do if you play online and these guys get ahold of you, as both uninstalling and removal of the save does nothing as its the account ID getting flagged.

Boned is what we are.
http://steamcommunity.com/app/374320/discussions/0/361787186424251460/

I have the Eyes of the F
ire
K
eeper
now,
i know this triggers an alternative ending, my question is, what are the main differences between normal ending and alternative ending? number of bosses? exclusive weapons and armor?
Thanks.

The difference is purely what cutscene you get.

I'm wanting to go faith to see how it is but the builds I see online that call themselves faith builds are really just strength builds with not that much of an investment in faith. I'm confused..

I'm doing faith and strength. Currently have each at 35. The miracles I use are mostly weapon buffs, healing, and 1 offensive miracle. I think in terms of offense, miracles aren't really viable in this game. Many take ages to cast and a lot of bosses are quick in this game. But they do good damage if you manage to hit.

Skii

The switches have to do with the NPC I'm talking about. It's weird,
Siegward should be in the well. Maybe there's more than one well
, I don't know.

I've just seen a post about how DSIII has the worst Souls bosses because they are all dudes in armor. Yeah this thread is pretty much in love with the game, but everywhere else on the forum it's overwhelming dislike it seems. Oh well. I just need to stop caring.

Okay cool. I'll go back up to the top of the cathedral again and try dropping down because there is no way that area exists without an actual purpose. I was so disappointed by it until I saw the switches and the raising "bridges".

I'll check that area out again and try and find as many of those
wells
but I've got a bad feeling about this since I've beaten the area's boss. I didn't hear anything when I went past the area. Surely he would call as no one would expect him to be there?

DS3 is easily better than DS2 for me so far and the bosses I've fought have only had Iudex Gundyr and A
byss Watchers
as "armor" bosses. I think I've faced 8 bosses so far so that it is a perfectly fine ratio for me.

Alfredo_V

Neo Member
This game.. This game is so good. Really takes me back to my days with DeS and DaS1.

I think I'm near endgame, been playing with a pure DEX-build. Not sure what to go with next playthrough.. Which of Pyro/sorcerer/cleric have you enjoyed the most?

Toxi

Banned
Well, its a trilogy right?

Not sure if they said anything about it but id defiantly want some more souls, or BB, well, really anything like this, universe don't matter! Its great!
Oh definitely, but I think this should be the end of Dark Souls, because it's such a glorious celebration of what came before it.

My favorite moment so far (I'm not very far into the game and I've been going in blind) was
trading off Siegward's beer and the Vertebra black phantom drop and unexpectedly being rewarded with Solaire's armor and Lucatiel's mask in succession.
Seeing references to my favorite Dark Souls NPC and my favorite Dark Souls 2 NPC in succession was wonderful.

And don't take this as me saying the old stuff outshines the new; the new bosses and NPCs and enemies are really memorable too.

Grudy

I'm going through the C
athedral of the Deep
with those two
Giants on the bottom floor
. I beat both of them and the D
eacons
boss and now I have the d
oll
. Is there anything else left of the area or do I go to Boreal Valley?

Btw, I activated two levers that raised some walls it looked like. Are they just there to function as barriers or something between you and the
giants
? Or do they act as ways to cross certain platforms? I'm really confused by them. I did end up in an area on top of the cathedral but after defeating the enemies up there, I jumped down on to a platform and there was nothing to do except make a risky jump to the second floor!

Go back up to the rafters and check around those platforms again.

LiK

I switched to Yhorm's Machete and this is doing better in PVP. Hits hard and isn't as slow as Fume.

Had a long battle with 3 guys but I eventually died. They applauded me lol

Trying to avoid too many spoilers, but a few questions:

1)
When does Yoel die? I had only used his power once to get a free level. I kind of know what it does, but then I thought "no point in doing this now when levels are cheap! I'll hit him up again when levels are 25K a pop". Here I am at SL60, I go back to see him and he's dead :(

2)
What is the Old Cell Key for? I can't find any door it opens. In the dungeons near the first set of stairs down there is a locked cell door with a body sitting on a chair inside that has treasure. But, Old Cell Key isn't for that door... I don't know what key is for that door?

3)
Profane Capital: a bit disappointing if I'm honest. I have not done the fog gate yet but did everything else and it was very small. I assume the fog gate is Yhorm and the end of the level. I was really thinking this was going to be where the giants were from and have some interesting things here, but there were only a few strong enemies and a small area. I guess this is not he home of the giants, and Yhorm is just hanging out here?
4) The super slow area everyone complained about at launch:
Which area is it? Is it the swamp area getting into Farron Keep? I'm running in low everything on a 560Ti, surprisingly well to be honest, and that swampy area was perfectly find for me, 45+ fps. Just wondering if that is the place everyone hated, or if it is to come later.

Hupsel

Finished!

Loved the game. My favorite From game after Bloodborne.

Some things:

. I didn´t enjoy PvP. Rolling is way too OP and it´s too easy to drink estus without being penalized. Yeah, I tried to use hunter charms but it´s a pain to aim them and hit the target.
. The locations look absolutely beautiful. The first time you get to
Boreal Valley
and see the entire city in the distance... one of the greatest sights in gaming imo.
. I liked the bosses. They were not that hard but they were fair.
. Slow weapons relly are not that good for PvE like some people say. Also, I wanted to use Smough´s Hammer, but that shit is so huge it was blocking enemies from my point of view! Kirkhammer still my fav weapon in a game <3

Don't matter with how its built. The moment the game autosaves (which is all the time) it uploads the save to their server and once that is done your SteamID gets flagged.

Found a massive post on steam about it.

Literally nothing you can do if you play online and these guys get ahold of you, as both uninstalling and removal of the save does nothing as its the account ID getting flagged.

Boned is what we are.
http://steamcommunity.com/app/374320/discussions/0/361787186424251460/

As someone who was just getting into the multiplayer of this game (something I rarely do with any games these days) this really scares me out of wanting to get more involved.

LogicStep

I'm doing faith and strength. Currently have each at 35. The miracles I use are mostly weapon buffs, healing, and 1 offensive miracle. I think in terms of offense, miracles aren't really viable in this game. Many take ages to cast and a lot of bosses are quick in this game. But they do good damage if you manage to hit.

Yeah it looks that way huh. I'll probably try out Str/Fth and make another character for magic.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Okay cool. I'll go back up to the top of the cathedral again and try dropping down because there is no way that area exists without an actual purpose. I was so disappointed by it until I saw the switches and the raising "bridges".

I'll check that area out again and try and find as many of those
wells
but I've got a bad feeling about this since I've beaten the area's boss. I didn't hear anything when I went past the area. Surely he would call as no one would expect him to be there?

He does call out as you walk out of that chapel bonfire. It's the well right where there's like 4 people praying to a tombstone/item. I met the NPC I mention, AFTER killing Deacons so you might still be ok.

SkylineRKR

Farming shackles is a pain, got 5 via invading now.

Most of the times they are already with 2 or 3. Sometimes the host pointed me towards his guardian, sat down while we duked it out. I won that one, waved and disappeared. That was great.

Tecnniqe

Banned
As someone who was just getting into the multiplayer of this game (something I rarely do with any games these days) this really scares me out of wanting to get more involved.

Yeah its a shame, I really like the MP aspect of it, both coop and invasions can make it more fun.
Sadly in the hours I played today someone either edited my stats or had it themselves because I got that message today when I logged back in.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
I'm fighting the
brothers
right now. What a fight. The boss music in this game is amazing. The run back is annoying...

There's no run back. There's a shortcut elevator right next to the boss door. You need to go through the Boletarian style staircase once.

I've just defeated
Yhorn the Giant

Where do I go next?

How many lords have you beat yet? I think you missed one in Irithyll.

Can anyone offer advice for someone struggling to adjust to DS3 post-Bloodborne? I didn't have any problems with the latter, really, but I am getting *destroyed* by DS3. I don't know how to properly manage my stamina with a shield, and the roll just feels totally inadequate. I'm stuck at the High Walls of Lothric bonfire, which is only a few minutes after fucking Firelink.

What do y'all think?

I have fast roll, btw. I'm just using the default Knight gear.

I'm fighting the
brothers
right now. What a fight. The boss music in this game is amazing. The run back is annoying...

Loved that fight. That fucking theme stuck with me for quite a while, amazing stuff.

Also, I'm pretty sure there's a shortcut.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom