• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT2| Welcome to NG+, Unkindled One

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zeliard

DEX-focused characters who want to try a big weapon - check out the Exile Greatsword. Swings deceptively fast, good range, infuse with Sharp and it gets an A in DEX scaling at +9 (maybe even lower), outputs stupid amounts of physical damage depending on your stats, can be buffed. Pretty low stamina cost - at just 25 endurance you can get four 2H R1 swings off. Good weapon art, difficult to defend against if the first hit gets through.

Downsides are its weight (17 units), and it requires 24 STR if you want to one-hand it, though only 16 to 2H it.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
Just checked my hollowing and its at 99 lol
I've not even done abyss watchers yet

does dying in pvp count?

Voidwolf

Is there co-op scaling like in Bloodborne? In Bloodborne they patched in the ability to co-op with anyone regardless of level so long as you did it through password matching. Your partner would have a little bell with an arrow pointing down meaning he was scaled down so as to not be overpowered in your world.

I noticed one of my friends had a similar symbol next to their name when I summoned him and he was about 20 levels above me at the time. However, when some other friends of mine have tried summoning me it just doesn't work. That said, I'm 112 and they're not even 30 yet.

DEX-focused characters who want to try a big weapon - check out the Exile Greatsword. Swings deceptively fast, good range, infuse with Sharp and it gets an A in DEX scaling at +9 (maybe even lower), outputs stupid amounts of physical damage depending on your stats, can be buffed. Pretty low stamina cost - at just 25 endurance you can get four 2H R1 swings off. Good weapon art, difficult to defend against if the first hit gets through.

Downsides are its weight (17 units), and it requires 24 STR if you want to one-hand it, though only 16 to 2H it.

I'd only worry about using a greatsword for online when I'm primarily get beaten by guys with great weapons and way too much poise armor.

The Lamp

This game constantly makes me feel like I'm doing something wrong. With bullshit like Caterina's quests I'm always scared to progress that I'm causing permanent ripples of consequences in my game that I don't intend.

LiK

Got 17 Schackles so far. At least there's progress.

Also, when the session tells me to kill host or THREE phantoms, I'm leaving.

Is there co-op scaling like in Bloodborne? In Bloodborne they patched in the ability to co-op with anyone regardless of level so long as you did it through password matching. Your partner would have a little bell with an arrow pointing down meaning he was scaled down so as to not be overpowered in your world.

I noticed one of my friends had a similar symbol next to their name when I summoned him and he was about 20 levels above me at the time. However, when some other friends of mine have tried summoning me it just doesn't work. That said, I'm 112 and they're not even 30 yet.

Yup, BB style.

Toxi

Banned
Just downloaded it off of Xbox store. So confused already, isn't there a compass or anything to direct you in which direction you should be heading?
No. Think of yourself as an explorer; try to memorize the layout of areas as you pass through them and pay attention to landmarks and enemy placements. Go through every nook and cranny and you'll find a lot of stuff you never expected, like bonfires or shortcuts or cool items or NPCs.

Also, talk to the NPCs until their conversation options are exhausted and they start repeating themselves. Their dialogue often gives relevant tips.

z1ggy

Finished my first run at lvl 104 and i got to say this is (by far) the most beautiful game i ever played in my 30 years of gaming...

Tho i was a bit dissapointed that some areas were too short.

Still Demons Souls da king.

Tecnniqe

Banned

Oooo might give this a go tomorrow then

Finished my first run at lvl 104 and i got to say this is (by far) the most beautiful game i ever played in my 30 years of gaming...

Tho i was a bit dissapointed that some areas were too short.

Still Demons Souls da king.

I played Demon's Souls after Dark Souls, so the hub world format really threw me off.

Toxi

Banned
I talk to NPCs facing away. I still feel bad about rocking Giant Blacksmith bro with a Zweihander R2 in DkS1. Luckily, he's all heart, and forgave me after a little donation to Oswald.
I always make sure I'm not holding a weapon in my right hand and am facing away when talking to a NPC.

Also, I've accidentally attacked two NPCs thinking they were enemies so far; thank God they didn't get pissed off. Meanwhile, I tried to talk to one enemy and nearly got myself killed because he looked like a NPC with how he was standing. LOL.

RedSwirl

I have an issue with the visuals in this game: A lot of places tend to look like they're one color. Not just one color, but the same shade of one color.

The catacombs in particular kinda have that clay mold look that's reminiscent of early CGI or modern graphics that aren't fully lit and colored. Eyegon of Carim has the same problem.

24hr

I'm in Firelink Shard, spoke to all the people but now what? I just keep running into an enemy who kills me instantly...

y did I buy this </3

EDIT: Nvm, just dodged straight past him and he disappeared now at a gate. 'Does not open from this side'

So I summoned a purple phantom. Also summoned a clear (white?) phantom. Then got invaded by a red phantom. All at the same time. White attacked me immediately, purple held off and then attacked too. Then red came and attacked.

So what happened and what is the difference between all these? I had no idea what was going on.

Tecnniqe

Banned
Onikiri and ubadachi + luck build + carthis rogue = none can defend

Try
Havel
:p

So I summoned a purple phantom. Also summoned a clear (white?) phantom. Then got invaded by a red phantom. All at the same time. White attacked me immediately, purple held off and then attacked too. Then red came and attacked.

So what happened and what is the difference between all these? I had no idea what was going on.

Purple = Coop and versus (they can do whatever)
White = Coop
Red = Versus / hostile
Gold = Sunbro
Gold/Red = Versus / hostile sunbro
Blue = Here-to-help-ya-out-from-invader-bro
Blue/Red = Hostile hiding-behind-mobs-cause-scared-to-1v1-bro

Toxi

Banned
I'm in Firelink Shard, spoke to all the people but now what? I just keep running into an enemy who kills me instantly...

y did I buy this </3
If you're talking about the naked Katana guy, he's super difficult and you don't have to fight him yet. There's nothing past him you can access yet anyway. It's common for Souls to throw super-difficult enemies off the beaten path; they're kinda a way for the developers to tell you "You're not ready to do this yet, come back later after you've leveled up and upgraded your gear and gotten better at the game." While it's technically possible to beat them, it's not recommended.

The Fire Keeper tells you to use the bonfire to warp to the next area, so go to the bonfire in the middle of Firelink Shrine and use it to travel to the High Wall of Lothric.

Haribi

Why isn't there a Star Wars RPG? And wouldn't James Bond make for a pretty good FPS?
A recommendation for a fast/dex weapon?

I love the Irithyll Straight Sword but unfortunately it's a strength weapon.
Currently alternating between the Sharp Uchigatana and the Pontiff Curved Sword but was wondering what you guys use with your DEX build?

LiK

Invader dilemma: host summons while fighting or running away from you.

Invader dilemma 2: host uses seed while running or hiding.

Fun...

Zocano

LOL, another great invasion ending:

https://youtu.be/HwkKzB_0qug

He tried though. But not exactly the smartest move I'd say.

dLQEUOJ.gif

Prodigal

Banned
Not sure if I should go to FKeep or Cathedral first...leaning towards the former but I know the latter has a ring which makes the poison more tolerable.

Skii

He does call out as you walk out of that chapel bonfire. It's the well right where there's like 4 people praying to a tombstone/item. I met the NPC I mention, AFTER killing Deacons so you might still be ok.

Well it's lucky you told me as I would've never gone to the chapel again after the boss I just killed. I'm assuming his story must activate after the boss is killed but it's an odd place to have him rather than somewhere you visit next.
Also, is the second door in the chapel something you're supposed to open now or later?

LiK

Think I had my fill of invasions. It's okay altho maybe I should've done this when I was lower lvl so it would be easier to get the Shackles. Gonna farm again later and see if the RNG is better.

Is anyone aware of any rings or other items that you can ONLY get on your first playthrough (regular NG)? I'm trying to tie up any loose ends before continuing on to Journey 2.

Randam

the final boss is hard

he's harder than
nameless king (who I beat)
but this one... man idk
Beat him just now.
On my 4th, or 5th attempt too.
Thought he would give me way more trouble.

Tried nameless king before him and always died after only a few seconds on that 2nd phase.

laxu

God, this game has so much fanservice for Dark Souls and Dark Souls 2. I love it and really hope this is the last Dark Souls game, because it's the perfect sendoff for the series.

I constantly get a feeling that a specific area or enemy or whatever is something that ties it to the earlier games. DS3 is my first Dark Souls game, before that I've only played Bloodborne. So maybe I'm not getting the most out of DS3 but it is nowhere near as good as BB IMO. Overall BB feels more consistent in theme and it has few truly shitty levels and perhaps more clever enemy placement.

So far no boss in DS3 has made my heart beat so hard like BB did.

Haribi

Why isn't there a Star Wars RPG? And wouldn't James Bond make for a pretty good FPS?
Completed Bloodborne and Dark Souls 2, but I'm not really enjoying this early on. Should I plough through? Still very early on at the 2nd bonfire in the first world proper.

Doesn't help I've wasted about an hour trying to kill that katana guy!

If you don't mind cheesing your way through that guy, just stand on that platform to the left right infront of the stairs and hold your shield up. He will charge at you and just fall down to his death.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member

y did I buy this </3

EDIT: Nvm, just dodged straight past him and he disappeared now at a gate. 'Does not open from this side'

Use the bonfire on the shrine to warp to the high wall of Lothric.

Raw64life

Finally beat that fucker
Nameless King
and wrapped up the game at the 48 hour mark. Went with the Lord of Hollows ending since I had set myself up to pick any ending I wanted and LoH is easily the most complicated ending to get. Dark Souls games have been perennial GOTY contenders for me and this one was no different.

Zeliard

Purple is a neutral party. They can help or harm you as they see fit. If you summon them they can attack anybody except bosses - you, other phantoms, enemies.

I always protect the host as a purple phantom if they've summoned me, but plenty of others won't care to, or will betray you later.

Red is the generic bad phantom. They just want the host dead.

White is the generic protector, but if this one attacked you then they were only wearing a ring that makes them look like a white phantom.

If you want to ensure you get a co-op partner who won't attack you, look for the white signs on the ground, or equip the Way of Blue covenant to get a Blue when you're invaded.

Tak3n

Banned
Thats it, I am done invading on the rocky path to the final boss, on paper it should be perfect for excellent PVP, but it is just become a gankers paradise, people hiding behind rocks and all sorts, just ran down to one fight to suddenly have 4 v 1

ridiculous

Jrmint

Could someone tell me:

That room after the Heavy Archers at the end of Ithiryll with all the notes that said "This seems familiar". I assume it was some call back to DS1 or 2, but I didn't play those. Could you guys clue me in?

LiK

Thats it, I am done invading on the rocky path to the final boss, on paper it should be perfect for excellent PVP, but it is just become a gankers paradise, people hiding behind rocks and all sorts, just ran down to one fight to suddenly have 4 v 1

ridiculous

They should quickly let invaders get in when the host decides to summon 2 guys to help. It's impossible to take on all 3 even with enemy AI to help in some cases.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom