• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT2| Welcome to NG+, Unkindled One

Status
Not open for further replies.

test_account

XP-39C²
Are there any "hidden" challenges in DS3? Like a no death run or no-bonfire run? I guess that the latter is impossible due to the Firelink Shrine being more like a hub alá Demon's Souls rather than a place in the gaming world like it is in Dark Souls 1 and 2.

Can anyone offer advice for someone struggling to adjust to DS3 post-Bloodborne? I didn't have any problems with the latter, really, but I am getting *destroyed* by DS3. I don't know how to properly manage my stamina with a shield, and the roll just feels totally inadequate. I'm stuck at the High Walls of Lothric bonfire, which is only a few minutes after fucking Firelink.

What do y'all think?

I have fast roll, btw. I'm just using the default Knight gear.

Keep your shield up as much as you can, but learn to realize the seconds when you can afford to drop it and let the stamina recharge. Even if it's only 2-3 seconds. It's a pattern you just have to get a feel for.

For the most part, stayed locked on to enemies and constantly be trying to get behind them. I honestly don't roll that much. But I'm always trying to circle behind enemies.

JDB

Banned
Decided to just summon a bunch of phantoms and let them fight while I watched. It was kinda amazing how people just instantly understood that it was just going to be 1v1s with the rest watching.

QuToA2y.jpg

5qIIvXV.jpg

G3Xkxal.jpg

8Mod6bQ.jpg

5qIIvXV.jpg

Abyss Watchers
was a really disappointing boss :/ i expected something awe-inspiring like Four Kings. fight was ok though, took me like an hour at lvl 44. fucker would not let me heal in peace so i just didn't at the end lol.

LiK

Waited 10 min to ambush a group of 3 and they use a seed. Fucking lame when they can't even go 3v1 without enemy help

Decided to just summon a bunch of phantoms and let them fight while I watched. It was kinda amazing how people just instantly understood that it was just going to be 1v1s with the rest watching.

it's the norm to do duels. It's more popular at the point after P
ointiff Sullivan
as there's a circular arena and an upper area you can have the spectators sit in and watch/clap/throw 'very good' carvings

What levels are fight clubs happening at?

I'm at level 70ish and always getting summoned. so probably 50 and above after the point I mentioned above.

Orcastar

Can anyone offer advice for someone struggling to adjust to DS3 post-Bloodborne? I didn't have any problems with the latter, really, but I am getting *destroyed* by DS3. I don't know how to properly manage my stamina with a shield, and the roll just feels totally inadequate. I'm stuck at the High Walls of Lothric bonfire, which is only a few minutes after fucking Firelink.

What do y'all think?

Posts like this make no sense to me. I've completed all of the Souslborne games and I don't see any fundamental difference between the dodge in Bloodborne and the roll in Souls games. They're both functionally the same, the dodge is just a bit faster and has a different animation. Am I missing something?

LiK

it's the norm to do duels. It's more popular at the point after P
ointiff Sullivan
as there's a circular arena and an upper area you can have the spectators sit in and watch/clap/throw 'very good' carvings

That's pretty cool. I guess I'll max out Pyro one day and Firestorm everyone.

ps4 controller is a piece of shit. i killed the guy who gives you boss weapons because i had to walk away for a moment
Haha, first time I played Bloodborne in a friends house I placed the controller down on the sofa and the R2 trigger was pressed so fucking easily I killed that lady in the Hunter's Dream. I thought I had fucked up hard but she "revives"... which wasn't too bad, but I feel your pain.

test_account

XP-39C²
Yeah, i've yet to run into someone who just starts attacking the host in those cases. Havnt really PVP'ed that much though, but still. Also, almost everyone do a gesture when doing PVP. Only a few have started attacking at once, from my experience.

Tarkus

A very large part of the community, including myself, plays through the game once and then does nothing but PvP for the next year.

Posts like this make no sense to me. I've completed all of the Souslborne games and I don't see any fundamental difference between the dodge in Bloodborne and the roll in Souls games. They're both functionally the same, the dodge is just a bit faster and has a different animation. Am I missing something?

The only game I never played/beat was DS2, and normally I'd tend to agree with you. It's worth mentioning that I played Demon's Souls and DS1 at the time of release for each game, so I don't know what it is about BB that ruined me for DS3.

phierce

Dude, I have to say, if you aren't completely careful to an extreme amount with that controller, the button will absolutely press itself.
and you are aware of this just like me. When I step away, I make sure it's done carefully and/or I'm faced away from an important NPC.
If you put it down carefully, it won't happen. Only point I was making.

and you are aware of this just like me. When I step away, I make sure it's done carefully and/or I'm faced away from an important NPC.
Right, but that is just dealing with it being a piece of crap as far as trigger sensitivity goes when setting it down. If you are being as careful as you are in this case, you must have had a close call with it as well.

I don't disagree that being careful is the way to go. But I don't believe we should have to be as careful as that to just set the controller down.

Sullichin

what's the ideal faith/int investment for pyromancy? I specced into it hard with 35/35, three rings for Fire dmg + dusk crown ring. But I'm thinking of making my build more versatile for PVP now that I've done PVE with pyros.

24hr

Just downloaded it off of Xbox store. So confused already, isn't there a compass or anything to direct you in which direction you should be heading?

LogicStep

There's no run back. There's a shortcut elevator right next to the boss door. You need to go through the Boletarian style staircase once.

How many lords have you beat yet? I think you missed one in Irithyll.

Run back is very short - how come you're not using the nearby elevator?

Loved that fight. That fucking theme stuck with me for quite a while, amazing stuff.

Also, I'm pretty sure there's a shortcut.

I know there's a shortcut but when I go to use it, it takes me down instead of up. I had to run quite a ways to the boss after each death.

The theme is fucking fantastic, love it, and the fight is really fun.

Just sharing my winning attempt:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c54Dfd5u7FU

Toxi

Banned

What do y'all think?

Your stamina goes up slower if you're holding the shield up, so keep it down when you're not blocking an attack.

When leveling up, prioritize Endurance first. You'll get some pretty big gains in your stamina bar as soon as you start leveling up that stat. It will help you attack more, roll more, and shield more.

I've noticed shielding is a lot less useful in Dark Souls 3 than Dark Souls and Dark Souls 2. The roll might seem awkward at first, but it's packed with invincibility frames. Shielding is your safe way to test out attacks and deal with crowds of weaker foes, but rolling and positioning are your best bets for fighting enemies with big powerful attacks chains that eat through your stamina while shielding. Make sure you're dodging into attacks and not away from them so that you pass through them while your invincibility frames are active.

Also, don't feel like you have to fight difficult enemies. Getting past them without aggroing them or simply running away are both valid if you don't think you can win or if you don't want to waste the Estus Flasks.

The Lamp

Just downloaded it off of Xbox store. So confused already, isn't there a compass or anything to direct you in which direction you should be heading?

Nope. That's part of the core appeal of the series. The world is connected in many ways and it has linear and non-linear paths. You're just supposed to explore and progress. If you find something absolutely impossible to overcome for you, look for alternate routes and come back later.

I talk to NPCs facing away. I still feel bad about rocking Giant Blacksmith bro with a Zweihander R2 in DkS1. Luckily, he's all heart, and forgave me after a little donation to Oswald.

E92 M3

lol, first Souls game? There is no compass or maps - you have to find your way on your own. It's a big hallmark of the series. Also, when you're fighting, make sure you watch your stamina bar.

I know there's a shortcut but when I go to use it, it takes me down instead of up. I had to run quite a ways to the boss after each death.

The theme is fucking fantastic, love it, and the fight is really fun.

Just sharing my winning attempt:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c54Dfd5u7FU

Step on the elevator and step off quickly. It will change orientation.

test_account

XP-39C²
Right, but that is just dealing with it being a piece of crap as far as trigger sensitivity goes when setting it down. If you are being as careful as you are in this case, you must have had a close call with it as well.

I don't disagree that being careful is the way to go. But I don't believe we should have to be as careful as that to just set the controller down.
Its really not that sensitive, in my opinion. I feel like i'm putting down the controller normally and it wont register it as a button press. Best way is to not be close to any ledges or NPCs regardless though, just to be on the safe side.

Randam

srsly, all these extremly long combos, you can't get away from suck.
you get hit once and you are done..
nothing you can do..

These two
dragons
in L
othric
C
astle
. Should I kill them?

edit: I mean, is there any downside to killing them?

srsly, all these extremly long combos, you can't get away from suck.
you get hit once and you are done..
nothing you can do..

the issue is the stunlock. It's an issue with big great weapons. get hit once and they can hit you twice, take off 2/3rds of your health bar and in a duel with no healing you're done. In invasion it wouldn't bother me, no need to be honorable in that

F0rneus

Tears in the rain

Or you could you know....step on it once, step off and take the elevator that goes to the top. Just saying haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom