• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT2| Welcome to NG+, Unkindled One

Status
Not open for further replies.

pa22word

Fuck this fucking piece of shit P
rince
boss and his fucking cheap teleport-lose-lock on ability.

you know the right stick is camera control right

Also, use your ears. The ding you hear when he reconstitutes is clear as day and means it's time to roll.

Farron Keep is a fun place to invade in. Plenty of strong enemies to hide behind when you encounter a scrublord host party that refuses to fight one on one, there are plenty of really strong enemies to help you out. So you've got a little sun bro friend? Well isn't that cute? How do you like my Stray Demon friend, bitch?

Now, come on, that Stray Demon isn't your friend, he's just tolerating your existence for a fragment of time.

pa22word

What the heck do I have to do next? I've done the following bosses:

Vordt, Greatwood, Crystal Sage, Deacons, Wolnir, Sulyvahn, Abyss Watchers, Aldrich

I have absolutely no clue where to go next.

Go back to where you got some estus soup in Irithyll. Go outside, and hug left.

Ertai

you know the right stick is camera control right

Also, use your ears. The ding you hear when he reconstitutes is clear as day and means it's time to roll.

I know, i've just been killed by that plunge attack from the sky way too often. It just seems to come out of nowhere.

Sullichin

So in (optional boss fight)
Ancient Wyvern fight.. the big snake guys with a flail and chain weapon...
tell me that weapon can drop??

MilkBeard

One thing I found hilarious, that I never noticed before:

I was invading in
Grand Archives
, looking for the host. There was a red-eye knight walking around, and I was rolling around him and I knocked over some stuff that was sitting on tables/the ground. The knight heard the noise, stopped and looked over. he of course found nothing, so he resumed his walk. Did the same thing again. Pretty cool, didn't know that they were sensitive to sound. Felt really funny because I was like a ghost in the world messing around with the enemies.

Sullichin

I was invading in
Grand Archives
, looking for the host. There was a red-eye knight walking around, and I was rolling around him and I knocked over some stuff that was sitting on tables/the ground. The knight heard the noise, stopped and looked over. he of course found nothing, so he resumed his walk. Did the same thing again. Pretty cool, didn't know that they were sensitive to sound. Felt really funny because I was like a ghost in the world messing around with the enemies.

The AI is **slightly** better than previous games. It's still really old school, but I've noticed some stuff like that as well. Once I was able to hide from a group of chasing enemies by breaking line of sight. And some enemies actually have walking paths instead of being perfectly still.

I also like the monster infighting in this one, it comes up a lot more. I especially like how other enemies can trigger mimics and they'll fight each other.

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
Fuck this fucking piece of shit P
rince
boss and his fucking cheap teleport-lose-lock on ability.

1. Stop relying on lock on.
2. 99% of teleports don't even break it. Only the long range power attacks do.

You should be more worried about the broken roll timings and random comboing.

I was invading in
Grand Archives

Yea, I'm surprised that they have more then just a simple aggro mechanic. I noticed much of the same with another enemy when I missed my knife throw and it hit the floor to the enemies left. Never aggroed but just sorta investigated.

NeoBob688

I have a question about the Dark Sword. I am doing a survivability build for my first playthrough, focusing on vigor and endurance and then investing leftover points into STR. I plant to go on to NG+ with this. I am wondering if I should focus on the regular or heavy version (latter having lower base damage but increased STR scaling). How much STR investment is needed to make the heavy version better than the regular version at equivalent weapon levels?

Sullichin

I have a question about the Dark Sword. I am doing a survivability build for my first playthrough, focusing on vigor and endurance and then investing leftover points into STR. I am wondering if I should focus on the regular or heavy version (latter having lower base damage but increased STR scaling). How much STR investment is needed to make the heavy version better than the regular version at equivalent weapon levels?

I want to say around 23-24 str, heavy starts being better. You can see what the attack rating is going to be when you go to infuse, and see if heavy will be better than raw at the moment, before you commit.

I was invading in
Grand Archives

One of my tricks with the walking mobs is just shooting a bolt nearby so they freeze, look over and then I can just plug 'em without having to lead 'em.

Uuuuuuhhhhhh

I just reached the U
ntended
G
raves.
I'm 5 feet in and weirded the hell out because it's built
exactly like the Cemetery of Ash
. Since this is, I assume, optional I'm about to see some deepest lore shit go down aren't I?

finalflame

Uuuuuuhhhhhh

I just reached the U
ntended
G
raves.
I'm 5 feet in and weirded the hell out because it's built
exactly like the Cemetery of Ash
. Since this is, I assume, optional I'm about to see some deepest lore shit go down aren't I?

Just keep going :)

JDB

Banned
Just helped out with a tree boss fight and it was so laggy that I didn't drop down in the pit along with the others players and the boss. So... that's a thing I guess.

generic_username

I switched to an alt account to ditch my embarrassing tag so I could be an embarrassing Naughty Dog fanboy in peace. Ask me anything!
I just finished the game. Why were people complaining about the final boss? I thought it was really well done. Lots of variations. Not the toughest in the world but still cool.

w0s

Started ng+ today. Why aren't all the rings +1? Was hoping for a better cloranthy. Was hoping everything was plus one.

JDB

Banned
I just finished the game. Why were people complaining about the final boss? I thought it was really well done. Lots of variations. Not the toughest in the world but still cool.
I thought he was amazing. Especially if you compare it to the other games' final boss fights.

FaintDeftone

Just stepped foot into the
Catacombs of Carthus
. Oh man this area looks intimidating. Should I be scared?

The
Decons of the Deep
boss was so pathetically easy. I killed it on my first try. I don't even remember getting hit once.

generic_username

I switched to an alt account to ditch my embarrassing tag so I could be an embarrassing Naughty Dog fanboy in peace. Ask me anything!
I thought he was amazing. Especially if you compare it to the other games' final boss fights.

Yeah he was very cool. He was one of the best boss fights in the game. Still have two optional bosses which I will prob do next week whenever I get time.

DSmalls84

Went on a tear today and beat
Aldrich, Yhorm, Dancer, Consumed King and Champion Gundyr.
Glad I made a lot of progress I was hoping to finish this before Uncharted.

kagamin

What have I stumbled upon this time...
374320_20160424182059uqc8x.png

Nerokis

What the heck do I have to do next? I've done the following bosses:

Vordt, Greatwood, Crystal Sage, Deacons, Wolnir, Sulyvahn, Abyss Watchers, Aldrich

I have absolutely no clue where to go next.

Remember the water area preceding
Anor Londo
? Go back, except this time, keep going.

Servbot24

Banned
I got to the part where you need the d
oll
. Ugh... no idea where to look for it. The only things I haven't covered yet are some random items scattered in the swamp, and the 20,000 soul key at the vendor. Guess I'll get that key.

JTCx

S
iegward
of C
atarina

Hes both hilarious and awesome, i love what FromSoft did with this character.

Sullichin

I got to the part where you need the d
oll
. Ugh... no idea where to look for it. The only things I haven't covered yet are some random items scattered in the swamp, and the 20,000 soul key at the vendor. Guess I'll get that key.

There's another way you can go in
Crucifixion Woods
. If you see
Mage enemies
you're going the right way.

I'm a little annoyed with PVP balance. Yeah, I know, "git gud" and stuff. My problem is with hyper armor.

Giving big, slow weapons hyper armor instead of depending on poise from armor makes it seem like big weapons are absolutely the way to go in PVP. My problem is that basically any time I get near a big weapon user, they just have to start throwing out attacks and all I can do is roll and try really hard to get in an attack (straight sword for me) but it seems like no matter what, they always have time to get away. If I try to take advantage of the slow movements of the weapons and attack first, it always just results in a trade, taking over half my health. I just can't find any openings to actually get in there and do some damage. It feels like if they see my attack animation start, all they have to do is start theirs before mine finishes, and they're guaranteed to get a better deal out of the trade.

Now with DS2 I could use the Stone Ring and a quick weapon to get in my quick attacks during their slow animations and break poise - or if they were wearing big armor to compensate, their really short rolls allowed me to have time to close the distance and catch them at the end of their rolls.

With hyper armour and the 70% fat roll threshold, people can have decent damage resist, unbreakable hyperarmour, and still roll just as effectively as I can with my tiny sword. Also, I've never successfully landed a parry against an UGS. Is it like DS2 where you can't parry 2 handed UGS attacks?

Maybe I'm just missing something but does anyone else have this problem in PVP? I'd gladly take any tips for dealing with this - I'm sure there's just some tactic I'm forgetting about/overlooking.

MilkBeard

I'm a little annoyed with PVP balance. Yeah, I know, "git gud" and stuff. My problem is with hyper armor.

Giving big, slow weapons hyper armor instead of depending on poise from armor makes it seem like big weapons are absolutely the way to go in PVP. My problem is that basically any time I get near a big weapon user, they just have to start throwing out attacks and all I can do is roll and try really hard to get in an attack (straight sword for me) but it seems like no matter what, they always have time to get away. If I try to take advantage of the slow movements of the weapons and attack first, it always just results in a trade, taking over half my health. I just can't find any openings to actually get in there and do some damage. It feels like if they see my attack animation start, all they have to do is start theirs before mine finishes, and they're guaranteed to get a better deal out of the trade.

Now with DS2 I could use the Stone Ring and a quick weapon to get in my quick attacks during their slow animations and break poise - or if they were wearing big armor to compensate, their really short rolls allowed me to have time to close the distance and catch them at the end of their rolls.

With hyper armour and the 70% fat roll threshold, people can have decent damage resist, unbreakable hyperarmour, and still roll just as effectively as I can with my tiny sword. Also, I've never successfully landed a parry against an UGS. Is it like DS2 where you can't parry 2 handed UGS attacks?

Maybe I'm just missing something but does anyone else have this problem in PVP? I'd gladly take any tips for dealing with this - I'm sure there's just some tactic I'm forgetting about/overlooking.

It would be better if there wasn't so much phantom range and delay in attacks. If PvP was as tight as PvE, it would be a lot easier to stand a chance. But as it stands, if you want to hold your own you have to have a weapon with good reach.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Anyone else think the collection of bosses in the second half of the game (starting with
Pontiff
) is SPECTACULAR? Like, it was just one amazing fight after another, each boss carving its place in Souls history as one of the series' most memorable. I'm really, REALLY impressed.

By the way, any of you manage to beat any bosses on your first try?

Only
Abyss Watchers
for me.

It would be better if there wasn't so much phantom range and delay in attacks. If PvP was as tight as PvE, it would be a lot easier to stand a chance. But as it stands, if you want to hold your own you have to have a weapon with good reach.

Yes, reach is also a problem...

Washing Pole - speed and moveset of a Katana, reach of a spear - the only disadvantage of it is seems to be the durability, which doesn't matter at all in PVP/Duels.

I really hope upcoming patches make adjustments for PVP.

On one hand I like that it makes heavy weapons more viable in PvP, but on the other hand in a 2v1 scenario dealing with two large weapons is really tough for a lighter build. It's why on my Dex build I have a Sharp infused Astora Greatsword for when I need to secure that last hit with hyper armour.

As for parrying big weapons, it's not quite as cut and dry as it was in Dark Souls 2's PvP (where any large weapon being two-handed was unparryable, except for rolling attacks). I know that when it comes to UGSs you can parry the ones the swing vertically but not the ones that swing horizontally, but like DS2 you can parry the rolling attacks no matter what. It's still early days of PvP so there's a fair bit of trial and error involved when it comes to figuring out how to deal with certain weapons.

I like it quite a bit. You can farm for the Swordgrass right near the Keep Ruins Bonfire where you'll see 3 of those shaman looking enmies with spears - they drop 'em, but they're rare.

Swordgrass is by far the easiest to farm. I was done farming 30 rather quickly with around 380 Item Discovery. I think other covenants have better items though.

Thanks, I'll give it a try then. Only need 8 more of them. Doesn't seem too bad.

Now, come on, that Stray Demon isn't your friend, he's just tolerating your existence for a fragment of time.

That's enough when fighting the kind of scrubby host party that thinks bow and arrow is the solution for this pretty much any tricky situation.

ramyeon

Aesthetically and conceptually I think T
win Princes
are my favourite boss fight in this game, and perhaps one of the best in Souls period.
I don't know why but something about the visuals and the cinematics, coupled with the piggybacking of the second phase just made it so damn awesome. It's hard as nails as well.
Plus the arena and the soundtrack!

I don't even know, there are just so many good bosses in this game.

BraXzy

Woooo! Just defeated the
first boss (Ludex Gundyr)
with NO deaths! Damn that was intense. Had a sliver left at the end with no flasks left. That was half luck, half roll xD

3241063.gif

MilkBeard

Aesthetically and conceptually I think T
win Princes
are my favourite boss fight in this game, and perhaps one of the best in Souls period.
I don't know why but something about the visuals and the cinematics, coupled with the piggybacking of the second phase just made it so damn awesome. It's hard as nails as well.
Plus the arena and the soundtrack!

I don't even know, there are just so many good bosses in this game.
Yeah, in terms of creative design, one of the best in the series.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom