• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT2| Welcome to NG+, Unkindled One

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm at Mr. xXDaEdgeM4staXx himself
Pontiff Sulyvahn
and I feel like this asshole escaped from Dark Souls II. Seemingly limitless stamina, pivots constantly, he even has the Pursuer's busted stab hitbox. I know people have said you can parry him, but that doesn't seem like the fight is just meant to be a parry test. Yet I see no other strategy other than being extremely patient and getting in one hit at a time.

Bossun

I'm a little annoyed with PVP balance. Yeah, I know, "git gud" and stuff. My problem is with hyper armor.

Giving big, slow weapons hyper armor instead of depending on poise from armor makes it seem like big weapons are absolutely the way to go in PVP. My problem is that basically any time I get near a big weapon user, they just have to start throwing out attacks and all I can do is roll and try really hard to get in an attack (straight sword for me) but it seems like no matter what, they always have time to get away. If I try to take advantage of the slow movements of the weapons and attack first, it always just results in a trade, taking over half my health. I just can't find any openings to actually get in there and do some damage. It feels like if they see my attack animation start, all they have to do is start theirs before mine finishes, and they're guaranteed to get a better deal out of the trade.

Now with DS2 I could use the Stone Ring and a quick weapon to get in my quick attacks during their slow animations and break poise - or if they were wearing big armor to compensate, their really short rolls allowed me to have time to close the distance and catch them at the end of their rolls.

With hyper armour and the 70% fat roll threshold, people can have decent damage resist, unbreakable hyperarmour, and still roll just as effectively as I can with my tiny sword. Also, I've never successfully landed a parry against an UGS. Is it like DS2 where you can't parry 2 handed UGS attacks?

Maybe I'm just missing something but does anyone else have this problem in PVP? I'd gladly take any tips for dealing with this - I'm sure there's just some tactic I'm forgetting about/overlooking.

And they're fast, seeing a guy in Smough'S armor, and the UGS swinging almost as fast and running as fast as you is kinda annoying.

UGS is the only weapon I have trouble against, mostly because of the lag in the game I think. Even when I roll, get behind the guy, his sword still in the earth in front of him I take the hit. It's infuriating.

Not as much as the lag though. On one on one it's okay, and I have something like 80% win, expect against some guy where lags get really bad.
More then one summon though and the game is almost unplayable :(

Sullichin

I'm a little annoyed with PVP balance. Yeah, I know, "git gud" and stuff. My problem is with hyper armor.

Giving big, slow weapons hyper armor instead of depending on poise from armor makes it seem like big weapons are absolutely the way to go in PVP. My problem is that basically any time I get near a big weapon user, they just have to start throwing out attacks and all I can do is roll and try really hard to get in an attack (straight sword for me) but it seems like no matter what, they always have time to get away. If I try to take advantage of the slow movements of the weapons and attack first, it always just results in a trade, taking over half my health. I just can't find any openings to actually get in there and do some damage. It feels like if they see my attack animation start, all they have to do is start theirs before mine finishes, and they're guaranteed to get a better deal out of the trade.

Now with DS2 I could use the Stone Ring and a quick weapon to get in my quick attacks during their slow animations and break poise - or if they were wearing big armor to compensate, their really short rolls allowed me to have time to close the distance and catch them at the end of their rolls.

With hyper armour and the 70% fat roll threshold, people can have decent damage resist, unbreakable hyperarmour, and still roll just as effectively as I can with my tiny sword. Also, I've never successfully landed a parry against an UGS. Is it like DS2 where you can't parry 2 handed UGS attacks?

Maybe I'm just missing something but does anyone else have this problem in PVP? I'd gladly take any tips for dealing with this - I'm sure there's just some tactic I'm forgetting about/overlooking.

I see what you mean but as a heavy weapon user (and having tried plenty of straight swords), I feel like straight sword users have it easy. Feels like I have to time my swings much more deliberately, and spend more effort baiting their attacks or setting up things on purpose (ie expect the first hit to miss while I change direction on the second hit). Whereas straight sword is just mash R1 as soon as you get an initial opening.

Frimaire

Why though? Some sort of personal challenge?

I don't know why he did it.
I did it because I just put every point in to dex and then strength until reaching the caps.
You do a bunch of damage but pretty much die from any direct hit from a boss.
In terms of serious build quality it's probably pretty dumb, but I like it so far.

Grexeno

Man, I put 2 levels into the Lucerne and then I found the Great Scythe and it's moveset looks fucking rad

now I have to get all that Titanite again.

z1ggy

Anyone else think the collection of bosses in the second half of the game (starting with
Pontiff
) is SPECTACULAR? Like, it was just one amazing fight after another, each boss carving its place in Souls history as one of the series' most memorable. I'm really, REALLY impressed.

By the way, any of you manage to beat any bosses on your first try?

Only
Abyss Watchers
for me.

Yes, a few:

1 - Iudex Gundyr (was pretty easy, but it was awesome when i saw his second phase)
2 - Vordt of the Boreal Valley (Not really hard, just rolling under him to attack, not a memorable boss tbh)
3 - Crystal Sage (Super easy, i barely had any health left when i enter the boss arena..., again, not memorable...i even forgot about the boss untill i saw your post :v)
4 - Deacons of the Deep (Another easy fight...)
5 - Aldrich, Devourer of Gods (Not that easy, but i don´t understand why so many people has issues with this boss...and kinda memorable, i like to help others in this battle because it´s pretty fun to fight)
6 - Dancer of the Boreal Valley (Another boss that i dont really know why people has issues with...just aim at her butt and thats all...in my NG+ run i'm helping a lot with this boss because it gives a shitton of souls at the start...)
6 - Soul of Cinder (kinda dissapointed, but well...)

And i agree, there are some bosses here that are amazing.

Really no series can compare to the Soulsborne one. I wish other japanese devs could follow From´s dark fantasy style. Enough of moe and school girls Japan.

What i love about all this is theres barely any cutscene, no map or indications where to go. No fucking hand holding. No fucking QTEs.

I hope this kind of game design becomes a trend.

Soul Level 1 runs are kind of a Souls series tradition. There are players skilled or crazy enough to undertake them. It's a testament to the design of these games that such a pursuit is even possible.

I don't think that character is SL 1, but I could be wrong.

pa22word

And they're fast, seeing a guy in Smough'S armor, and the UGS swinging almost as fast and running as fast as you is kinda annoying.

UGS is the only weapon I have trouble against, mostly because of the lag in the game I think. Even when I roll, get behind the guy, his sword still in the earth in front of him I take the hit. It's infuriating.

Not as much as the lag though. On one on one it's okay, and I have something like 80% win, expect against some guy where lags get really bad.
More then one summon though and the game is almost unplayable :(

I've been parried constantly with my BKGS. Usually when people start spamming the parry though I bust out the delayed R2 attacks the thing has. Two handed R2's hard knock down usually leads to an insta kill combo if I catch someone with it, so if you try and parry you better make sure it lands >.>

Gorillaz

just invaded and found a dude with 3 different phantoms

4 People for 1 boss.

Im amazed they allow that many in one world. 2 is overkill in alot of cases but jesus

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Finished the game at around 41 hours according to Steam. Very satisfied for this game to the final entry(?) in the souls series. Great bosses, great exploration, lots of secrets oh my. My favorite boss has to be
Abyss Watchers
. From the cutscenes, to the music, their moveset, oof soooo good. Worst boss is probably
nameless king
phase 1. You're fighting the camera more than the actual boss. The second phase is legit though.

Can't wait for the DLC bosses.

4 People for 1 boss.

Im amazed they allow that many in one world. 2 is overkill in alot of cases but jesus

Took 4 of us to take down the fucking
tree
last night and it was a blast! Doesn't the game scale the health of the boss as you add people? It sure seemed like it last night.

finalflame

4 People for 1 boss.

What difference does it make to you?

I like to fight all the bosses solo my first playthrough, but will gladly summon away for successive playthroughs. Who cares.

Also, to summon 3 phantoms you need to use the dried finger, which makes you a high priority target for invaders and allows 2 invaders to come into your world at a time.

Tarkus

On one hand I like that it makes heavy weapons more viable in PvP, but on the other hand in a 2v1 scenario dealing with two large weapons is really tough for a lighter build. It's why on my Dex build I have a Sharp infused Astora Greatsword for when I need to secure that last hit with hyper armour.

As for parrying big weapons, it's not quite as cut and dry as it was in Dark Souls 2's PvP (where any large weapon being two-handed was unparryable, except for rolling attacks). I know that when it comes to UGSs you can parry the ones the swing vertically but not the ones that swing horizontally, but like DS2 you can parry the rolling attacks no matter what. It's still early days of PvP so there's a fair bit of trial and error involved when it comes to figuring out how to deal with certain weapons.
I'm fairly certain I've parried two handed horizontal UGS swings.

Gorillaz

Took 4 of us to take down the fucking
tree
last night and it was a blast! Doesn't the game scale the health of the boss as you add people? It sure seemed like it last night.
the tree was def a pain had help on that one after awhile felt stupid and didn't know about the weak points. felt like I was just swinging away at shit for awhile and he was just fuking up or something

What difference does it make to you?

I like to fight all the bosses solo my first playthrough, but will gladly summon away for successive playthroughs. Who cares.

Also, to summon 3 phantoms you need to use the dried finger, which makes you a high priority target for invaders and allows 2 invaders to come into your world at a time.

Didn't know it was a touchy subject asking about why there were 3 other people and not knowing it was possible to begin with

Thanks tho, Imma write that one down to not bring up again, thanks breh

Cyrano

You get extra iframes at 50% and 30% equip weight during rolls. This also provides an added bonus to Flynn's Ring, which sees dramatic damage increases at those weights.

You can parry two-handed attacks, but the timings are different and it doesn't seem to be every attack. There are some which can't be interrupted and some which can. This is technically true of all weapon types, there are certain weapons that have abilities (usually a set of swings) that can't be parried.

Probably also worth noting that nothing has unbreakable hyper armor in Dark Souls 3. This even include boss enemies. Poise matters less, but honestly I would consider that a good thing when in the past players would just swing through anything you did and kill you while in their unbreakable combo. This isn't the case in DS3.

I just finished
The profaned captital and killed Yhorm with Siegward. It was super bad ass and totally unexpected.
I can't get over how great this game has been so far.

Anyway in the dungeon, right at the start there is a one-way door that I have never opened. Anybody have an idea how you actually get that door open?

I just finished
The profaned captital and killed Yhorm with Siegward. It was super bad ass and totally unexpected.
I can't get over how great this game has been so far.

Anyway in the dungeon, right at the start there is a one-way door that I have never opened. Anybody have an idea how you actually get that door open?

Explore the floor around the giant's feet with all the rats

Cyrano

Can anyone give me a good dex/pyro build? Breezed through the game on a quality build but I'm struggling with this playthrough.
You can't really expect to be very effective if you're dividing your points between two builds. Would suggest picking either Pyro or Dex and sticking with it. Both are very powerful and will get you through a NG easy. Pyro sees major returns once you get to
Smouldering Lake and beat the Old Demon King
, a Dex build can be made to work at pretty much any time, since there are good Dex options even at the beginning of the game. Get
Astora's Straight Sword
and Raw infuse it if you're at the beginning and having trouble.

Worth noting that a Pyro build gives you access to
Hidden Body
, which is easy mode for 99% of the game.

psychotron

I need some help. I may have missed something but I'm at the
Irithill Dungeon
trying to get to the
Profane Capital
and I've reached a literal
sleeping giant
. What should I do?

Tevious

So I'm doing the A
nri
quest line. I killed
her partner in the Smouldering Lake
after already defeating
High Lord Wolnir and Pontiff Sulyvahn
. I talked to her in the church since then, but the
pilgrim
is not showing up where she is supposed to be. The next boss for me is A
ldrich
(fought and died once already). There is no
soapstone sign
there, so what am I missing to advance the quest?

What's the Fight Club area? How do I go fight in the fight club?

Right after Pontiff Sullyvahn. Place is more happening than the Iron Keep bridge.

So I'm doing the A
nri
quest line. I killed
her partner in the Smouldering Lake
after already defeating
High Lord Wolnir and Pontiff Sulyvahn
. I talked to her in the church since then, but the
pilgrim
is not showing up where she is supposed to be. The next boss for me is A
ldrich
(fought and died once already). There is no
soapstone sign
there, so what am I missing to advance the quest?

Is Anri gone?

After having incredibly trouble with I
thryill
in general, I find I
thryll
D
ungeon
and P
rofaned
C
apital
one of the easiest areas of the game. Am I missing something or did it just 'click'? The only thing I know I didn't go to yet is the
toxic poison with the spider peeps

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
After having incredibly trouble with I
thryill
in general, I find I
thryll
D
ungeon
and P
rofaned
C
apital
one of the easiest areas of the game. Am I missing something or did it just 'click'? The only thing I know I didn't go to yet is the
toxic poison with the spider peeps

Click!

MilkBeard

Anyone looking for a fun battle to co op, head to
Dragonslayer Armor

With more summons his health grows exponentially. I was summoned into a fight where we were ganking him with four people and he still held up with a good fight. Probably a harder fight co op than the final boss.

Noobcraft

Praise the rainbow dragon!
screenshot-original-6d9k0p.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom