• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT2| Welcome to NG+, Unkindled One

Status
Not open for further replies.
More people need to invade the P
rofaned
C
apital
with me, I have the gank squads to keep me company but I haven't seen another red at all since I started invading there.

Thankfully the ladders are on my side.
https://my.mixtape.moe/tfawvt.webm

And my first double parry which gave me brief respite from all the R1 spam, haha.
https://my.mixtape.moe/crtdnw.webm

What level and system are you on? I ended getting out of there since I kept running into gank squads. At level 50 with a +8 weapon Irithyll before Pontiff Sullyvahn has been pretty great.

Gundyr's Halberd has become a big favorite as a weapon for pvp. People usually aren't ready for the weapon skill since its a charge into a 360 spin.

What level and system are you on? I ended getting out of there since I kept running into gank squads. At level 50 with a +8 weapon Irithyll before Pontiff Sullyvahn has been pretty great.

Gundyr's Halberd has become a big favorite as a weapon for pvp. People usually aren't ready for the weapon skill since its a charge into a 360 spin.

I'm on PC, level 81 with +7 weapons. I don't seem to have much trouble invading anywhere but I've just found this place to be the most fun so far.

Uh, what?

Both of those areas are noticeably easier than the one he was having issues with. The only difficult thing about the
dungeon is the jailers
, and that's more annoying than hard. Even the boss is a pushover...

The next thing that ups Irithyll is Lothric
round 2, not dungeon.

Or did people seriously have problems with
rats, basket monsters we fought in the first area of the game, a copy pasted giant fight, and human wall things that you have to try to get hit by. I don't see how anyone could say anything that area, even Yohrm himself, is harder than the regular Irithyll warriors to take down.

Ah, yeah, I was wanting to see if it was a difficulty dip. I've seen a lot of people talking about the
Jailers
but thought they were super easy to deal since I could rush and combo them, and even
Yhorm
wasn't really as hard as dealing with two
Irithyll Warriors
at once. I think I died three times on those two areas, two being for environmental issues, haha.

ramyeon

Is there some weird mad spirit etiquette I'm missing? I'm placing my red soapstone down in the last area of the game to grind shackles. Half the time I get summoned when there are red spirits dueling while others sit and watch, other times it's just a red spirit and the host. If I attack the host they always team up and gank me.

LiK

Shackles completed! So happy to be done with this shit. Never again. Now to FINALLY go to NG+ and clean up the rest of the trophies.

generic_username

I switched to an alt account to ditch my embarrassing tag so I could be an embarrassing Naughty Dog fanboy in peace. Ask me anything!
Anybody else feel like the game ends out of nowhere? Also I think I got the bad ending because I had 5 sigils. So I probably never fought the "real" last boss(if there is one, dunno). The boss was a joke, I had people summoned and we just traded off tanking to beat him. Fight doesn't seem like it would be too hard solo aside from the
magic phase
. Also the boss was just... uh...
a fire man
? Nothing really epic like Gwynn with that music and his relentless assault, the DS2 boss was pretty bad too though, but Bloodborne had an awesome last 2 bosses, and a fantastic optional boss in the chalice dungeons. And all of it was story/lore related.
I can't remember any npc saying anything about the last boss of this game or any item lore either.

Thought the game was great otherwise. I'll have fun trying other builds and get the good(?) ending solo.

How is the last boss a joke when you used summons? Every boss in DS3 is a joke if you use summons. As it is they are easy enough when going solo. The last boss solo was quite relentless. In fact I would argue more so than Gehrman. Not very difficult but fun nonetheless. Out of all the shitty Dark Souls 3 bosses ( and there are a lot of shitty ones in this game ) I think the last one was by far one of the least shitty ones.

Anybody else feel like the game ends out of nowhere? Also I think I got the bad ending because I had 5 sigils. So I probably never fought the "real" last boss(if there is one, dunno). The boss was a joke, I had people summoned and we just traded off tanking to beat him. Fight doesn't seem like it would be too hard solo aside from the
magic phase
a fire man
? Nothing really epic like Gwynn with that music and his relentless assault, the DS2 boss was pretty bad too though, but Bloodborne had an awesome last 2 bosses, and a fantastic optional boss in the chalice dungeons. And all of it was story/lore related.
I can't remember any npc saying anything about the last boss of this game or any item lore either.

Thought the game was great otherwise. I'll have fun trying other builds and get the good(?) ending solo.

Seems silly to say it was easy when you used multiple summons.

sjay1994

Do your covenant items (sunlight medals, shackles, etc) stay with you when you go to NG+?

I don't want to grind out the lothric knights for medals, and its rare for people to pick my summon sign infront of boss doors.

I really feel like I fucked up because I summoned a sunbro for the dragon slayer fight, and it was so trivial. I want the medals, but I feel like I ruined that boss fight for myself

bronk

Banned
invading as a mad phantom in the area after
Pontiff
is exactly as hilarious as I expected it to be.

- half the people I invade have a group of white phantoms and sunbros, but that just means they also get red invaders AND faithful after them. PURE FUCKING CHAOS.
- in the unlikely event they don't have summons, protect them from the aldritch guys (but pretend I'm helping kill the host until the last minute)
- if they're alone and there's no other invaders,
Silver Knight cosplay with a greatbow
and hang out with the squad

and then like one in every 5 invasions you find a fight club which is also fun.
I had a fight club running today and one red phantom won 12 times in a row. He was a beast! He used a short sword and small crossbow. I just clapped the whole time. So much fun. If anybody healed during a duel ill jump down and throw the anti estus item at them lol. If it wore off and they healed again I would throw firebombs at them nonstop. So awesome.

ramyeon

Okay, getting there with the Shackles. About 10 so far. If I can get summoned for 1v1 duels it's not too bad. Not sure I understand the makeshift fight clubs going on though.

sjay1994

For being a Lord of Cinder
Yhorm the Giant
was a pretty boring boss fight. There were no moves that were hard to dodge or not see coming, and it took me a while as the only way it seemed to do damage was to
hit his head

The hardest part of that fight was figuring out
how to use stormruler

The hardest part of that fight was figuring out
how to use stormruler

I stupidly fought it for about 20 minutes straight despite doing minimal damage. I figured there had to be a gimmick when I noticed how little damage I was doing, but I challenged myself to see how long I could stay alive, haha.

Do your covenant items (sunlight medals, shackles, etc) stay with you when you go to NG+?

I don't want to grind out the lothric knights for medals, and its rare for people to pick my summon sign infront of boss doors.

I really feel like I fucked up because I summoned a sunbro for the dragon slayer fight, and it was so trivial. I want the medals, but I feel like I ruined that boss fight for myself

NG number doesn't dictate if you can be summoned or invaded, just level range. As long as you're SL 50-100 you should be seeing plenty of summons in front of that boss. All Covenant Ranks and items carry over into NG+. I would probably stick my sign there since that boss imo is pretty easy even if the host is bad. You could always invade as a sunbro too that gives you medals.

As a Blue Sentinel/ Blademoon can you be summoned to anywhere or is it only in the level you currently are? Also can you be embered and still summoned?

How is the last boss was a joke when you used summons? Every boss in DS3 is a joke if you use summons. As it is they are easy enough when going solo. The last boss solo was quite relentless. In fact I would argue more so than Gehrman. Not very difficult but fun nonetheless. Out of all the shitty Dark Souls 3 bosses ( and there are a lot of shitty ones in this game ) I think the last one was by far one of the least shitty ones.

I've had full teams die on bosses in all of the souls games. lol

You can shield, you can roll right or left. He doesn't really do anything crazy outside of the magic phase. Even then it's just about timing rolls. Playing solo doesn't change that. It's just a trial of patience. I could summon so I did. :D

Also this dude is nothing compared to Gerhman. If you said Moon Presence, sure.

Finally got to my first boss that has taken me more than three tries:

A
ldrich
: D
evourer
of
Gods

This god damn piece of shit cheap ass move:
arrows of fucking death

It doesn't help that getting to the door is a royal pain in the ass.

Korosenai

Do hollow gems make weapons scale off luck, or do they just give you +5 luck when you get a hollow weapon to +10 as well as 16 hollowing?

BeeDog

So, I'm exploring Smouldering Lake (pain in the ass area, by the way) and managed to turn off the ballista. But while exploring the lake, I noticed I missed one of those destructive walls that cover an item towards the farthest cave wall :(

Does anyone know what item this is, and is it possible to get it after the ballista's been shut down? (I guess not)

Thanks in advance.

Dimmle

So, I'm exploring Smouldering Lake (pain in the ass area, by the way) and managed to turn off the ballista. But while exploring the lake, I noticed I missed one of those destructive walls that cover an item towards the farthest cave wall :(

Does anyone know what item this is, and is it possible to get it after the ballista's been shut down? (I guess not)

Thanks in advance.

Turn it back on!

BraXzy

I played for an hour or two so far, didn't really get very far but I feel like I have a decent grip on the game now. I've beaten the first boss and gotten to the
Shrine
? I even went back to the start and managed to kill the
crazy (but awesome) ice wolf thing.
Very excited to keep playing :D

Thanks in advance.

I've noticed this has happened to quite a few people (myself included). I went back to see if you could turn it on again, and surely enough, you could.

At
Irythyll Dungeon
after beating
Pontiff Sulyvhan

How much of the game do I have left?

worried that I'm getting pretty close to the end.

It's almost like the fight should be actually balanced for when there's more than one person. Weird.
Ain't bragging or nothing, just stating a fact. When using the mechanics the game has offered, it was pretty easy.

Well, pretty much all the bosses are a joke in co-op. Not much of a surprise as they were designed around solo play first and foremost.

jett

D-Member
That boss was epic IMO. Yeah he`s a bit on the easier side to dodge but Siegward and you using DeS Storm Rulers to fight him was epic. One of my favorite moments in the game.

I`d kill the NPCs that are wonky to get like Yuria and give her ashes to the Handmaiden before NG+ though.

What's the point of giving the ashes before NG+?

Anyway, I murdered everyone. I mistakenly thought I could get another ending just by touching the thing again, but I guess not. The only thing left to do is the one bonus boss, but I'm not really feeling up to it.

Sullichin

Is there a tutorial guide for the game? I got my friend into it and it's his first souls game but his complaint is the same as mine, you have to live off of I-frames from rolls to be able to do anything. Everything is a 4-5 hit combo and they all swing wildly. We were doing ok until we fought that infected zombie on the rooftop in the first area, then the next problem enemy was the ice soldier thing right outside the door to Road of Sacrifices. He can kill you in 1 hit and will instantly destroy your guard, I got lucky when I fought him and his attacks somehow missed me but it took my friend a very long time to beat him(he fell down the elevator).

His spirit is broken per se, there's no better equipment, or weapons, so aside from blocking what exactly do you do to really progress?

A rule of thumb in these games is that if an enemy seems too difficult, you can just skip it for now. The game almost never makes you kill everything to proceed. Actually I don't think the series has ever done that now that I think about it.

But there's usually enemies who are clearly harder than the regular mobs. In this game they're either gigantic and usually a little out of the way (ie giant crabs or a dragon), or they're regular looking enemies with red eyes. Red eyes mean that guy is going to fuck you up aggressively.

Not saying to run past everything, but the game does make that possible too. It can be a good strategy to do a suicide run just scouting out an area and picking up items on the ground, so that your next run is more informed and a little less stressful. You might even find a bonfire because they're so plentiful in this game too.

With that guy in particular, if you're having trouble it would be easier to run past him and activate the bonfire that's right after him. This way you'll have a much shorter walk to fight him again. He drops a pretty decent sword.

Rottmer

Neo Member
123 hours later, and I finally found my best weapon, armor setup and finished up my build. I'm satisfied. Now I can PvP for the rest of my life like all the cool kids.

cIsl7Z8.jpg

Sullichin

123 hours later, and I finally found my best weapon, armor setup and finished up my build. I'm satisfied. Now I can PvP for the rest of my life like all the cool kids.

cIsl7Z8.jpg

Looks nice, what sword and helmet are that?
28 faith for sacred oath I guess?

20 END seems so low! I pumped more into that in my strength build but don't have as much health as a result.

justjim89

For real? I hear everyone talking up the N
ameless
K
ing
and what a bad ass fight it is, when all it is is some more 2-stage bullshit where
he gets to sit on top of a fucking turkey while you burn through all your estus and then step down and 2-shot you.
Fuck that, that's not cool. Maybe I'll just jump to endgame and forget this.

Also, is there an alternative to
ringing the bell
? I couldn't find a way onto the bridge proper so I figured ringing the bell was the only way out.

Rottmer

Neo Member
Looks nice, what sword and helmet are that?
28 faith for sacred oath I guess?

20 END seems so low! I pumped more into that in my strength build but don't have as much health as a result.

Hollowslayer Greatsword and the Billed Mask. You can get the mask from
Yuria, by killing her and giving the hand maiden her ashes.

Believe it or not, but after testing, you only get one extra attack at 40 endurance, and nothing at 30. So I just kept it at 20 and threw on the Ring of Favor. Stamina regens really fast in Dark Souls 3 as well, so having less is barely noticeable since I used to have 40. Stamina and endurance is very weird in this game.

BraXzy

Quick question, does this game have a way to reset your stat distribution and reallocate your levels or is it all set in stone?

Sullichin

Hollowslayer Greatsword and the Billed Mask. You can get the mask from
Yuria, by killing her and giving the hand maiden her ashes.

Believe it or not, but after testing, you only get one extra attack at 40 endurance, and nothing at 30. So I just kept it at 20 and threw on the Ring of Favor. Stamina and endurance is very weird in this game.
Yeah I think I brought endurance to 40 so I could get one last swing out of my BKGA. Probably not really worth it in practice but I'm used to maxing out my stamina in a build like that

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
What's the point of giving the ashes before NG+?

Anyway, I murdered everyone. I mistakenly thought I could get another ending just by touching the thing again, but I guess not. The only thing left to do is the one bonus boss, but I'm not really feeling up to it.

If ashes aren't key items then maybe you keep them for NG+. Still I think it's preferable to hunt down the "rare" npcs and get their gears ASAP. Removes the stress of meeting them in the next playthroughs.

Rottmer

Neo Member
What sword is that?

EDIT: Hollowslayer Greatsword. Gonna have to check it out.

Its a great weapon. Works best for quality builds, and does 50% more damage to undead-like enemies, apparently. Makes certain areas easier.

Yeah I think I brought endurance to 40 so I could get one last swing out of my BKGA. Probably not really worth it in practice but I'm used to maxing out my stamina in a build like that

I used to mess with
Yhorm's Great Machete
which is where I found myself testing out if I really needed max stamina or not. High endurance is still pretty good for heavy attacks though.

magic phase
a fire man

Yep last boss was shit so was the final area. DS1 had a Fucking epic area that felt so awesome to walk around in. Felt so dark an ominous and the way it all looked. Then the fight was cool as the character had a back story. This guy was just. Random boss number 10 lol. He's dead easy even solo. I used dry fingers are he got ganked hard by 4 players lol.

Mindlog

Haven't really felt bad for a boss since Sif but (mid-late game boss?)
Four Storm Rulers vs Yhorm is a bit much.
Sweet cheesus. It's also the craziest place to farm souls/sunlight medals. So quick.

I don't understand what hollowing does, other than change the ending, even after reading about it on the Dark Souls 3 wiki. Are there any negative effects to having a ton of hollowings if I don't care about the ending? I just want to be more powerful, at any price.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom