• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT2| Welcome to NG+, Unkindled One

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tarkus

Sorry about kind of trivialising that boss for you.

More than happy to help though.

I can help. Throw on a password and I'll be there.
That's ok. There will be many playthroughs. That was the first boss that I've summoned for. Seems like a good one for co-op.

patchday

Feels bad man yall so much farther along then me. I just beat
Vordt
and figured out how to get
6 estus flasks

I should play more. wish Steam cloud worked with Dark souls 3. it supports steam controller but not cloud :(

roytheone

So, it is just me or are the catacombs one of the hardest dark souls levels ever? I probably died more there already then in all the previous areas combined.

laxu

BB's bossfights can get more intense simply because the game forces you to play without a shield, but if you opt into that playstyle in Dark Souls then I think you get the same feeling.

I barely know how to use the shield or parry with it. I'm pretty good with my rolls though. Still I don't find the bosses in DS3 as exciting. Maybe it's how most of them can take off almost half a health bar with one hit whereas in BB you were constantly at the edge of dying in many of the fights.

Tecnniqe

Banned
The last boss is fucking hard. Goddamn.

127D52309550FBE71FA8A6E0E88040707851DC0C

patchday

So, it is just me or are the
catacombs
one of the hardest dark souls levels ever? I probably died more there already then in all the previous areas combined.

use spoil tags. but yeah I am not looking forward to going there.
I still remember that area from DS1

Try to stay to the right of the boss especially the spear variant. Those attacks are really avoidable, but also hit hardest. I struggled with the scimitar part even when I beat it so I'm no help there.

Assuming you're getting to phase 2 the windup for the long combo is very protracted. Watch out for it and back up. Assuming you avoid that and the grab the fight is pretty manageable even taking hits here and there.

Is there any reason not to infuse a weapon with a Raw Gem if I plan on upgrading the weapon to 10+, does that matter

Generally speaking once you get past 20 in Str, Dex, Int, Fth, or Lck the scaling on the weapon will always be a better way to go then raw. I'm sure there are exceptions, but it's good rule to follow.

Ah.. so.. despite the status, I can still summon up to X amount of people without restrictions?
Yes.

jett

D-Member
Is there a point to infusing weapons with magical damage gems? Dancer's Enchanted Swords have kind of made me believe that the shit is complete garb. True or false?

mstevens

So, it is just me or are the catacombs one of the hardest dark souls levels ever? I probably died more there already then in all the previous areas combined.

It's interesting how people have completely different experiences in these games. Catacombs was very easy for me, but other areas that are easy will probably end up being a problem.

I can't think of any other games or series that have such different opinions on which parts are hard. I feel like most games have notorious, unanimous hard areas or bosses.

Ugh - I found a swamp area filled with those black goo undead guys. Those are the WORST.

They can't be staggered outside of firebombs and their attack range is nuts. They're the only enemies I don't enjoy fighting.

Any tips?

Fire resin is pretty cheap at that point, so you can use hit and run type tactics to fight them while staggered. Get some hits in, retreat, then roll to their back to stagger them again. Being in front of them is pointless, since they are so aggressive, and they take up the entire damn screen. :)

NEO0MJ

Welp, I got my ass handed to me by the
Princes. Big bro moves so fast and has wide range on his attacks while little man just spams spears when i try to heal away from them and lose more than half my health to it. Gotta practice again.

Dahbomb

Is there a point to infusing weapons with magical damage gems? Dancer's Enchanted Swords have kind of made me believe that the shit is complete garb. True or false?
If your build scales off of stuff like Intelligence then sure. Otherwise no.

N° 2048

Holy shit that guy at the bottom of Undead Settlement lol with the tricky elevator.

Roll roll roll.roll..roll.lorlrorlrorlrlrrroll

If you are a Int,Fth, or pyro build then it is very likely better to go with an infusion that scales with its respective stat over raw or no infusion at all. There are obviously going to be exceptions. It's also important to keep in mind different weapons will take to certain infusions better than others.

For example the Astora Greatsword jumps to B+B scaling with a refined infusion at as low as +1 if I remember right. In contrast Ricard's Rapier actually gains A in magic and loses little in Dex when infused with crystal weapon. Making it a great Sorcercy weapon.

Pejo

In case anyone is interested, there is an upcoming patch that mentions performance fine tuning and bug fixes:
http://www.darksouls.jp/information_more.html

Translation from reddit:

App Ver 1.04
Regulation Ver 1.05

• Fixed a bug where you might not get items properly while accessing a covenant when a player joins your game.
  • Some NPCs questline events have been made easier to trigger.
  • Made the requirement for joining the Rosaria's Fingers less strict.
  • Fixed a bug when teleporting to Untended Graves.
  • Amended an issue where kicks were being parried.
  • Fixed a bug where Crystal Sage would not re-appear after warping in.
  • Fixed a bug where Dragonslayer Armour would die on its own before you fight.
  • Fixed a bug where Knight Slayer Tsorig would continue to gesture.
  • Fixed a bug where Siegward would fail to save Greirat even though the conditions have been met.
  • Fixed a bug where, when wearing a ring that increases Max HP, the change would not be reflected in some menus.
  • Fixed a bug where the voice chat icon would show (or not show) according to the settings.
  • Fixed a bug where the voice chat icon would continue to display when HUD display is set to AUTO.
  • (Xbox One) Fixed a bug where you can't access the functions Quit Game, access bonfire, or use online play items when failing to connect to an online session.
  • (Xbox One) Fixed a bug where the game would crash to the title screen when you fail to connect to an online session.
  • Fine tuned various other things, fine tune performance, and corrected various bugs.
Patch release time still to be determined.

Hopefully it includes a fix for the auto-save stutter.

Figures, I literally just ran into that Siegward bug last night. Ah well, it's not like I don't have to do another playthrough anyways. Still frustrating.

GulAtiCa

Question about having 99 hollowing:

Is there a way to purge the status (purge stones?) without pissing off the lady and ruining the ending? I want to be able to summon 2-3 people but I think the status will prevent me from doing so.

Like others said, hollowing doesn't prevent summoning/etc. Just use the
Purging Stone to reset counter back to 0. Using that stone is fine, as hollowing just begins anew.
DO NOT CURE IT via the Firekeeper. That will screw things up.

Also, to summon a 3rd person, apparently you need to use Dried Fingers item to get a 3rd summon in, in some areas. Warning, also opens you up to a 2nd invader too (plus more frequent invasions).
Some areas apparently you can summon 3 without it

Like others said, hollowing doesn't prevent summoning/etc. Just use the
Purging Stone to reset counter back to 0. Using that stone is fine, as hollowing just begins anew.
DO NOT CURE IT via the Firekeeper. That will screw things up.

Also, to summon a 3rd person, apparently you need to use Dried Fingers item to get a 3rd summon in. Warning, also opens you up to a 2nd invader too (plus more frequent invasions).
Depends on the area you have to use a dried fingers to summon a 3rd. For example you need to use the dried fingers to summon a 3rd phantom in the posion swamp. But in Other locations you don't have to use the dried fingers to summon a 3rd.

ApharmdX

Banned
For a sorcery build, simple or crystal infusion? I'm doing a pure sorcery build, started Deprived, using a flame estoc currently, thinking I'll do another estoc with INT scaling. I picked the estoc because the low requirements (2 points invested in DEX and I was able to use it) and the overpowered state that it's in makes the early levels much easier.

If you're going for that ending, purging will ruin the quest.

You can kill her, then purge, once you finished her questline, correct?

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination

Welp, soon after making this post I took the bastard down. Finished this baby up in 38 hours with SL at 93.

Very fun game, and supremely enjoyable. The last couple of bosses (particularly
Nameless King
and
Soul of Cinder
) were pretty damn tough, but my Broadsword carried me to victory yet again (and my rolling and my shield and my buffs, etc.).

Not quite sure how I'd rank this game compared to Demon's Souls and Dark Souls, but I think it'd fare favorably. Reasons being are I think the soundtrack is the best of those three, the combat is the most refined, the bosses are more interesting (especially in the second half of the game). I think the game falls flat in terms of story and weapon variety. Demon's Souls is still the most gripping when it comes to story and lore, and the weapon variety in Dark Souls is more fleshed out than in III.

Overall, a fantastic game!

Arkanius

Guys, I feel a giant hollow inside.

Should I buy Scholar of the First Sin? (I only played DS2 base game and loved every second of it)

ApharmdX

Banned
Yea, I confused healing and purging. Purging should be fine. Healing screws it up.

Purging via the stone is fine. Curing however is a big no no.

Gotcha. I just played through with a LCK/Bleed build, so I wasn't able to purge at all, but I'm glad that I can purge on this playthrough.

Prepare to Die! Enjoy!

Yeah, great fight. Shame about that camera, though. I found that the key to this fight is actually
the first stage. When I was able to get through that stage withotu taking too much damage, I won.

zethren

Banned

Should I buy Scholar of the First Sin? (I only played DS2 base game and loved every second of it)

Yeah definitely. Scholar of the First Sin adds a lot, and even changes up what was in vanilla DS2 aside from adding DLC.

LiK

Sure, I enjoyed DkS2 vanilla as well and heard remaster is better. Different enemy placement, all DLC and 60fps.

neoism

In case anyone is interested, there is an upcoming patch that mentions performance fine tuning and bug fixes:
http://www.darksouls.jp/information_more.html

Translation from reddit:

App Ver 1.04
Regulation Ver 1.05

• Fixed a bug where you might not get items properly while accessing a covenant when a player joins your game.
  • Some NPCs questline events have been made easier to trigger.
  • Made the requirement for joining the Rosaria's Fingers less strict.
  • Fixed a bug when teleporting to Untended Graves.
  • Amended an issue where kicks were being parried.
  • Fixed a bug where Crystal Sage would not re-appear after warping in.
  • Fixed a bug where Dragonslayer Armour would die on its own before you fight.
  • Fixed a bug where Knight Slayer Tsorig would continue to gesture.
  • Fixed a bug where Siegward would fail to save Greirat even though the conditions have been met.
  • Fixed a bug where, when wearing a ring that increases Max HP, the change would not be reflected in some menus.
  • Fixed a bug where the voice chat icon would show (or not show) according to the settings.
  • Fixed a bug where the voice chat icon would continue to display when HUD display is set to AUTO.
  • (Xbox One) Fixed a bug where you can't access the functions Quit Game, access bonfire, or use online play items when failing to connect to an online session.
  • (Xbox One) Fixed a bug where the game would crash to the title screen when you fail to connect to an online session.
  • Fine tuned various other things, fine tune performance, and corrected various bugs.
Patch release time still to be determined.

Hopefully it includes a fix for the auto-save stutter.

damn this makes me not wanta not play until its out...

Arkanius

Yep. The dlc is great. Plus the new locations for enemies and 60 fps ( if you are on consoles)

PC player here, the 60 FPS was already there on the first time around.
(But with that dreadful durability bug. Although it was fun sometimes having to carry multiple weapons)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom