• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT2| Welcome to NG+, Unkindled One

Status
Not open for further replies.

Minamu

Man, I just don't get the pvp in this game AT ALL :/ I get super wrecked no matter what I do :lol And I used to be pretty good at Bloodborne pvp (but none of the DS ones). Sure, I don't wear the best armor, I only wear the painted guardian outfit at the moment, but I do have a Gotthard Twinswords+10. Should I perhaps use gems on it as well?

GulAtiCa

Guys, I feel a giant hollow inside.

Should I buy Scholar of the First Sin? (I only played DS2 base game and loved every second of it)

YES! 60FPS on consoles, unlike Bloodborne or Dark Souls 3..., all the DLC (which are awesome), improved areas & changes that make everything better. A lot of new enemy placements means less annoying multiple mobs.

Only thing that really got worse, was Iron Keep, those re-arranged placements sadly made the area worse in a little way. (though area still not bad, just not as great as it was originally)

NEO0MJ

PC player here, the 60 FPS was already there on the first time around.
(But with that dreadful durability bug. Although it was fun sometimes having to carry multiple weapons)

Well, it was the only time in the series history were durability was actually something you had to consider if you didn't use a weapon with a unique skill that ate it.

Syder

Should I buy Scholar of the First Sin? (I only played DS2 base game and loved every second of it)
If you loved DS2, I don't see why not. IMO, the changes between DS2 and SotFS, in terms of enemy placements, should have been made for NG+ playthroughs. Also, the story isn't as obtuse.

LiK

If you loved DS2, I don't see why not. IMO, the changes between DS2 and SotFS, in terms of enemy placements, should have been made for NG+ playthroughs. Also, the story isn't as obtuse.

Heard they clarified some stuff so I'm sorta excited to replay it cuz I didn't like the lore in vanilla at all.

Not sure I'll Platinum it his time. I Platinumed vanilla and I had fun throughout. Not grindy like DkS3.

It far easier to go to back to then Dark Souls 2 -> Dark Souls. All the really significant quality of life changes were made with Dark Souls 2 and you can still roll omnidirectionally. Did you know you can only roll in four direction in Dark Souls. That takes some getting used to if you go back.

I'm going to respec to a Luck build and use
Anri's
Sword. I think a Luck/Faith build might be fun.

And this is exactly why (post from GameFAQs):
My first build was 40 luck/60 faith and using Lightning Clutch Ring and casting Lightning Blade and Sacred Oath gave me a AR of 759, which is pretty ridiculous on a straight sword. I could also get about 865 AR with Flynn's Ring and Lloyd's Shield Ring on top of that, but of course that is inconvenient. Regardless, even without the faith buffing, only 40 luck for ~400 AR is one damage stat for great damage on a straight sword. Anri's Straight Sword also has a native blessed infusion on it, meaning slight HP regeneration, doesn't allow the skeletons to respawn, and does 10% extra damage to enemies classified as "reanimated".

Up to 865 AR is bananas.

Arkanius

I think the Dark Souls 2 lore was great actually. It referenced DS1, but it was it's own thing. And there was an actual dialog between major characters.

I heard the DLC improves and gives even more answers.

It far easier to go to back to then Dark Souls 2 -> Dark Souls. All the really significant quality of life changes were made with Dark Souls 2 and you can still roll omnidirectionally. Did you know you can only roll in four direction in Dark Souls. That takes some getting used to if you go back.

I'm mind blown with that statement.

GulAtiCa

Not sure I'll Platinum it his time. I Platinumed vanilla and I had fun throughout. Not grindy like DkS3.

Well, in a way DK2 is grindy to get platinum. You have to go through to the end of NG++ to get all the last spells. So, it's just grindy of a different nature (time).

Just keep in mind, that obviously this time you need to get all spells (like last time), but includes are the spells from the DLC (since now part of the base game). I did this just before DK3 came out, took me about 65 hours to 100% everything in NG and then 80 hours total to get platinum in NG++

ApharmdX

Banned
I just have one thing to say: fuck Arch
dragon Peak.
Seriously.

I had some trouble with the enemies there. Ended up just running through, beating the boss, then going down to clear and get treasure. It's easier that way because you can kill the summoner immediately.

Kaibutsu

Heard they clarified some stuff so I'm sorta excited to replay it cuz I didn't like the lore in vanilla at all.

The platinum is fairly easy to get in SotFS. The only real difficulty is getting all the various spells, i'm still short those 3 and only 3 trophies to get the platinum. They included the dlc spells in the platinum so it makes it a little more difficult than the vanilla verison

LiK

Well, in a way DK2 is grindy to get platinum. You have to go through to the end of NG++ to get all the last spells. So, it's just grindy of a different nature (time).

Just keep in mind, that obviously this time you need to get all spells (like last time), but includes are the spells from the DLC (since now part of the base game). I did this just before DK3 came out, took me about 65 hours to 100% everything in NG and then 80 hours total to get platinum in NG++

The platinum is fairly easy to get in SotFS. The only real difficulty is getting all the various spells, i'm still short those 3 and only 3 trophies to get the platinum. They included the dlc spells in the platinum so it makes it a little more difficult than the vanilla verison

Mmmm, okay. So SothFS requires spells from DLC now. I'll check a guide and see how bad it is. Mighty just take an extended break from Souls after DkS3. I almost feel burnt out already from Concord/Shackles farming lol

johntown

Banned

Not if your good at PVP. You can get all the spells without going through 3 times.

Tarkus

Why do people summon a red for a duel and then heal like a BITCH?!?

BTW, this little area just as you go down the stairs into the Catacombs is a nice little duel area.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Anyone play any of the other Souls games after Dark Souls III?

Any immediate differences you picked up on?

gaugebozo

Pre second Lord spoilers:
Why is there a dead Rosaria maggot in the water beneth the bridge in Ithryl, and is there a good way to beat the double croc-dogs one at a time? I can't pull just one.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Why is there a dead Rosaria maggot in the water beneth the bridge in Ithryl, and is there a good way to beat the double croc-dogs one at a time? I can't pull just one.

Just stay in the little alcove you drop down in and hit the one on the right with an arrow. I've been able to do it that way every time. You just have to stay in that little alcove for the first fight.

This is how I do it.

Use a bow, shoot one, climb up the stairs, do plunging attack, should take at least half the HP. Repeat.

LiK

Go back when you're more powerful. I went back post last boss and destroyed them.

SkylineRKR

I did the end game with a Luck build and it was way too easy. Higher damage than my STR build while my Luck was lower so I had more END etc. Farming also went easier with the extra 40+ luck on top of Avarice etc. Got loads of mats. People rave about Dark Sword but Blueblood equivalent is faster, uses less stamina and has higher damage potential on just 40 Luck.

I specced back to STR because I have all those lovely weapons maxed such as Gundyr, DA Greataxe, Swordspear etc. Luck comes down to one weapon, or hollowing some.

Scholar is excellent especially if you're just dying for more Dark Souls right now. 60fps and hardly noticable load times on console, its pretty good.

GulAtiCa

Not if your good at PVP. You can get all the spells without going through 3 times.

You would have to be VERY good and to be very fast... As the Brotherhood of Blood cov required 500 rank points to get the spell Great Chaos Fireball... That's 500 wins in the arena only (though you get +2 for killing blues in someone else's world while invading). Getting defeated in the arena takes a point away, and invading does nothing (unless you kill a blue). So.... That will take a while. Though maybe some people are that good. But then they have to do that for The Blue Sentinels too (150 points).

Faster to just go through NG+ and NG++ IMO.

I should note that it only took me like 2 hours to get to the Drangleic Castle in NG++ due to just farming souls from The Rotten over and over again. So in relality, I could have gone to NG to NG++ end very quickly.

Productive evening last night.

Took down Yhorm, Aldricht, Oceiros The Consumed King, Dancer of the Boreal Valley and Champion Ghundyr.

Dancer is one of my favorite Souls fights of all time. Beautifully designed, challenging and fun. I just love the visual design of the boss (and the music!)

The return to
Anor Lando
was too short but great. The feels hit when you find the body of the
Giant blacksmith
. Great callback to the original game.

I'm currently exploring Lothric Castle though I did unlock Archdragon's Peak and plan to make that my next stop.

I feel like I'm closing in on the end game. Am I close?

ZangBa

I must have stumbled upon some kind of fight club a few times while invading last night. Normally I don't care for this sort of thing, but I went along with it and it was pretty fun. At one point I beat my opponent and as I was bowing someone in the crowd killed me with some magic spell, lol. It was pretty funny to me, and they all chased him down and ended him. Eventually I was on such a huge winning streak I felt a little bad and left, I hope I invade them again sometime.

anyone who's good(even if you're not, I suppose) at N
ameless King,
willing to coop with me? I'm having a lot of trouble, and the soap stones keep getting taken before I can get them(Yes, I've helped other people already).

Doop

Productive evening last night.

Took down
Yhorm, Aldricht, Oceiros The Consumed King, Dancer of the Boreal Valley and Champion Ghundyr.

Dancer is one of my favorite Souls fights of all time. Beautifully designed, challenging and fun.

The return to
Anor Lando
was too short but great. The feels hit when you find the body of the
Giant blacksmith
. Great callback to the original game.

I'm currently exploring Lothric Castle though I did unlock Archdragon's Peak and plan to make that my next stop.

I feel like I'm closing in on the end game. Am I close?

Yeah, you're pretty close. I think you should spoiler tag some of those boss names, though. Just in case.

No one is that good especially now that the community is likely far smaller. It's likely way faster to save all the consumable souls from NG and NG+ pop them in NG++ to get through the shrine of winter early. If you aren't at 3 million with consumable souls use bonfire aesthetics and soul farming gear to get what you need from The Rotten.

The fact that there is so little sequence breaking in Dark Souls 3 is kind of a bummer for me and it's one of the thing keeping me from starting NG+.

I was wondering this too.
I mentioned it earlier you can only roll in the four cardinal directions in Dark Souls when locked on. That is super strange feeling. 60 Fps also makes a tangible difference to me when going back. Obviously you can mod it in, but that does things to fall damage and weapon durability that aren't worth it.

LiK

ok, i'm gonna wait for them to fix that one quest before i play. i might just do the other ones. don't want to hit that bug.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom