• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT2| Welcome to NG+, Unkindled One

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meccs

I'm currently losing a lot of my invasions. Mostly to spammers and gankers. A lot has to do with bad decision making. I think I just have to stick with it and get used to the PvP. I'm losing nothing when I die but it is a bit embarrassing...

Ruuppa

I'm currently losing a lot of my invasions. Mostly to spammers and gankers. A lot has to do with bad decision making. I think I just have to stick with it and get used to the PvP. I'm losing nothing when I die but it is a bit embarrassing...

Ganking can be somewhat eased by invading in a Covenant area, like Faithful or Watchdogs. Having extra bodies to throw at parties of 3/4 is very helpful. The area for the Faithful is a really fun PVP hotspot, with 6 player free-for-all PVP matches going on somewhat frequently.

Spammers, however.. You can punish an R1 spam with a Caestus parry somewhat efficiently, if you get some practice in.

Also remember to pack some Undead Hunter Charms.

Lyng

So I just killed the
Rotting Greatwood
. Problem is I had gone ahead and gotten the
Butchers Knife
first which made that bossfight stupid easy

Alo0oy

Banned
I'm enjoying DS3, but I think this is going to be the game that burns me out on Soulsborne. Even though the multiplayer connectivity was borked, Bloodborne was such a breath of fresh air from a gameplay perspective - specifically, the weapons had fresh movesets. Here, so many of the movesets are recycled, except for the weapon arts. I dunno, but the variety is just not there. We've been using similar variations of these movesets for 4 games now (DeS, DS1, DS2, and DS3). I know it must seem ridiculous given how much people criticized Bloodborne for lack of build variety, but I'm actually starting to feel that Dark Souls has a melee gameplay variety issue.

Nah, melee is fine, what's bad is the atrocity people call bow combat, what a let down after Simon's Bowblade, not to mention the inability to get decent arrows even in NG+ until the mid game all because the Shrine Maiden's inventory resets.

Melee is great actually. You can't expect wacky ass weapons like Amygdala's Arm or Whirligig Saw in Dark Souls, that doesn't mean the melee is inferior.

Does Onikiri and Ubadachi outclass the Uchigatana? Like how does their damage work from dual wielding compared to holding Uchi two handed?

Like I can easily get them to +10 and use a Sharp Gem if it's an improvement but I don't want to waste all those materials if it's not :p

What other katanas/dex weapons are worth looking at?

Ruuppa

Does Onikiri and Ubadachi outclass the Uchigatana? Like how does their damage work from dual wielding compared to holding Uchi two handed?

Like I can easily get them to +10 and use a Sharp Gem if it's an improvement but I don't want to waste all those materials if it's not :p

Washing Pole is a good one as always.
Rapier/Estoc is a good poking weapon, as are other Rapier-class weapons. Their R1-spam is quite something.

If you're using Katanas, carry around some Carthus Rouge. It's sublimely easy to bleed foes when applied.

Yes, their L1 attacks are multihit with decent speed, uchi can't compare.

But not sure if worth if you aren't goingquality build, otherwise use thw chaos blade

Cyrano

Nah, melee is fine, what's bad is the atrocity people call bow combat, what a let down after Simon's Bowblade, not to mention the inability to get decent arrows even in NG+ until the mid game all because the Shrine Maiden's inventory resets.

Melee is great actually. You can't expect wacky ass weapons like Amygdala's Arm or Whirligig Saw in Dark Souls, that doesn't mean the melee is inferior.
I'll be the first to admit that the weapons in Bloodborne were probably the most creative I've seen in any action-RPG and it's kind of a shame they aren't back in Dark Souls 3. That said, I'd be hard-pressed to say that the combat isn't as good, because Bloodborne combat was overtly silly in just about every aspect. Only a handful of weapons felt like they had heft and the reason for that was entirely because they sped the combat up to an absurd degree. The slower combat of DS3 feels a lot better and is a good compromise between being too slow (DS1) or too fast (BB).

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
What's a good enemy to practice parrying? I could do it with my eye closed in Dark Souls but never found the window in 2 and having problems in 3, too.

They nerfed the shit out of medium shields' parry frames. Use an off-hand fist weapon like a caestus or a small shield like buckler, target shield etc and parrying is all of a sudden a lot more like Dark Souls 1 and you'll find it's much easier. It's a better balance than letting someone have a good shield with high stability and defenses that can also parry well. Now you have to choose between easy parries or a good shield.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Washing Pole is a good one as always.

I've always made Katana builds first in every Souls so far and I never even considered maining the WP in any of them (Iaito and Blacksteel were my favourites). Quality Build in 3 and it out damages (and obviously out ranges) every other katana in the game, even the damn Chaos Blade. Keep in mind that I haven't tested it against Darkdrift yet, nor a +5 Bloodlust.

The durability doesn't even come into play, so I think it's only real downside is it appears to be ever so slightly slower than the others, though that may be me.

Ruuppa

I've always made Katana builds first in every Souls so far and I never even considered maining the WP in any of them (Iaito and Blacksteel were my favourites). Quality Build in 3 and it out damages (and obviously out ranges) every other katana in the game, even the damn Chaos Blade. Keep in mind that I haven't tested it against Darkdrift yet, nor a +5 Bloodlust.

The durability doesn't even come into play, so I think it's only real downside is it appears to be ever so slightly slower than the others, though that may be me.

That's what I also found when comparing it to the others. It seems to use a tiny bit more stamina, weighs more and has a slightly lower Bleed-scaling, but other than that.. It is quite amazing. Wielded two-handed, it breaks through most poises with ease as well. Add the Knight Slayer's Ring and only really high stability shields can block a whole combo.

zoukka

Man I had way too much trouble with
Pontiff.
Hardest boss for me yet. My friends didn't seem to have any issues downing him :D

theaface

tumblr_inline_o34z2qcIv61tlih4r_500.gif

Got my 30 proof of concords from the
Anor Londo
knights, having failed to be summoned as a blue once in my 60 hour first playthrough, where I deliberately took my time.

Here's an approximation of the sum total of silver knight armor I accrued in that time.

73957420141212141032.jpg

Fix your covenants, From Software.

Ruuppa

https://33.media.tumblr.com/941f492c135527613ad86b84a635a076/tumblr_inline_o34z2qcIv61tlih4r_500.gif

Got my 30 proof of concords from the
Anor Londo
knights, having failed to be summoned as a blue once in my 60 hour first playthrough, where I deliberately took my time.

Here's an approximation of the sum total of silver knight armor I accrued in that time.

http://photo.cultjer.com/img/cache/width/1000/ug_photo/2014_12/73957420141212141032.jpg

Fix your covenants, From Software.

Congrats! Now go do the same for the Watchdogs! Just a few dozen hours to go!

PS: From, please fix the covenants..

theaface

Congrats! Now go do the same for the Watchdogs! Just a few dozen hours to go!

PS: From, please fix the covenants..

Had a way way easier time with the Watchdogs. The proximity of the mobs to the bonfire made it a lot more bearable. I even got lucky and got 3 swordgrass in 2 consecutive runs.

Starting to wish I'd not left
Nameless King
until the very end since that boss and the final boss (from the one time I checked it out) seem very similar in terms of the set up of the fight and it's really ending the game on a sour note for me. I really do prefer big monster bosses or gimmick bosses over these humanoid 1v1 sword duels.

I did expect this kind of final boss though - the final area looks amazing and the location was not really a surprise at this point given the amount of throwbacks to DS1.

Meccs

Ganking can be somewhat eased by invading in a Covenant area, like Faithful or Watchdogs. Having extra bodies to throw at parties of 3/4 is very helpful. The area for the Faithful is a really fun PVP hotspot, with 6 player free-for-all PVP matches going on somewhat frequently.

Spammers, however.. You can punish an R1 spam with a Caestus parry somewhat efficiently, if you get some practice in.

Also remember to pack some Undead Hunter Charms.
Which areas are that exactly? The ones where you join them I guess? I thought they can be summoned everywhere? And yes, Undead Hunter Charms are awesome.

After I kill
Emma
the boss there is so tough! Like I'm not even close to taking off an 1/8th of his health.

Oh and summoning isn't an option cos I don't have playstation plus - and those signs don't appear in my game anyway for some reason.

zoukka

After I kill
Emma
the boss there is so tough! Like I'm not even close to taking off an 1/8th of his health.

Oh and summoning isn't an option cos I don't have playstation plus - and those signs don't appear in my game anyway for some reason.

Use an Ember for the glyphs to appear. (also invaders)

Ruuppa

Which areas are that exactly? I thought they can be summoned everywhere? And yes, Undead Hunter Charms are awesome.

Farron Keep
for the Watchdogs and the area after
Pontiff Sulyvahn
for the Faithful.

I prefer the latter, because Watchdog-summoning is bugged, at least on the PC. It also has the advantage of the hosts dying to the normal enemies somewhat often, making it easier to get the Covenant items (if you're after those).

Alo0oy

Banned
I'll be the first to admit that the weapons in Bloodborne were probably the most creative I've seen in any action-RPG and it's kind of a shame they aren't back in Dark Souls 3. That said, I'd be hard-pressed to say that the combat isn't as good, because Bloodborne combat was overtly silly in just about every aspect. Only a handful of weapons felt like they had heft and the reason for that was entirely because they sped the combat up to an absurd degree. The slower combat of DS3 feels a lot better and is a good compromise between being too slow (DS1) or too fast (BB).

I don't think weapons like the ones in Bloodborne would fit, there are a couple that would work like the BoM/Rakuya instead of the terribly limiting movesets of the current paired weapons. Amygdala's Arm would not fit in Dark Souls, not thematically and not mechanically.

What they should have certainly borrowed is Simon's Bowblade's bow part, Bow combat improved tremendously in BB, and it's sad to see them go back.

pa22word

After I kill
Emma

How far are you otherwise?

If you're already at the swamp you can nab a shield there that will eat that boss for lunch. Behind the SD miniboss you can drop down to a secret area that nets you a shield with like 87% fire damage reduction + 100% physical added to like 56 stability. It's good enough that you can pop a few green grass items and tank that boss from like level 30/40 on pretty easily if you're a melee character.

Alo0oy

Banned
Oh ok. So soloing it then it is. 3 hours of tedious avoiding that one shot arm grab from the
Dancer
it is then :/

Go back to Firelink Shrine and kill the Katana guy to the right of the Shrine's entrance (your left if you're facing the Shrine entrance).

After you do that, the Summon will be available.

Thanks for advice; I think I'm just going to come back to her later though. I've only just got to Road of sacrifices, so I guess I'm too low level.

Ruuppa

Go back to Firelink Shrine and kill the Katana guy to the right of the Shrine's entrance (your left if you're facing the Shrine entrance).

After you do that, the Summon will be available.

Sword Master's summon disappears after killing
Vordt
, though. So it won't help him.

Cyrano

I don't think weapons like the ones in Bloodborne would fit, there are a couple that would work like the BoM/Rakuya instead of the terribly limiting movesets of the current paired weapons. Amygdala's Arm would not fit in Dark Souls, not thematically and not mechanically.

What they should have certainly borrowed is Simon's Bowblade's bow part, Bow combat improved tremendously in BB, and it's sad to see them go back.
I dunno, I think certain trick weapons like Ludwig's or the Kirkhammer would be just fine in Dark Souls. Most of them wouldn't make a lot of sense (any of the gun-related ones or electricity weapons), but the few that do definitely feel like they could have been in DS and no one would have batted an eye. The bowblade would have been cool but it would be massively overpowered in a Souls game.

I just noticed it but you don't get the bleed burst damage when you're in a backstab or riposte animation. Has it always been like that? o_O

Alo0oy

Banned
I dunno, I think certain trick weapons like Ludwig's or the Kirkhammer would be just fine in Dark Souls. Most of them wouldn't make a lot of sense (any of the gun-related ones or electricity weapons), but the few that do definitely feel like they could have been in DS and no one would have batted an eye. The bowblade would have been cool but it would be massively overpowered in a Souls game.

Certain weapons could definitely fit, the hammer part of the Kirkhammer would be perfectly fine, it functions like a great hammer in Dark Souls.

As for the Bowblade, what I meant was the bow combat and how smooth it was, not the weapon itself, Bow combat in DS3 is clunky, slow, and not very fun.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
Final boss is wrecking me
I dont mind too much though because the fight is pretty fun

I'm determined not to summon. I did for Gwyn in dark souls 1 and always regretted it

The lance stance never fails to fuck me up

Cyrano

Certain weapons could definitely fit, the hammer part of the Kirkhammer would be perfectly fine, it functions like a great hammer in Dark Souls.

As for the Bowblade, what I meant was the bow combat and how smooth it was, not the weapon itself, Bow combat in DS3 is clunky, slow, and not very fun.
Well, I always thought the purpose of bow combat in Dark Souls was to see how you could cheese stuff, and for that purpose, particularly the
Pharis
bow, it works very well. If it was practical as a style of combat unto itself I'd want to see it executed as something like Legolas in Lord of the Rings. But that's almost a DMC style of fighting and wouldn't fit in the slow, methodical combat of Dark Souls.
Final boss is wrecking me
I dont mind too much though because the fight is pretty fun

I'm determined not to summon. I did for Gwyn in dark souls 1 and always regretted it

The lance stance never fails to fuck me up
I have had trouble with every last Dark Souls boss except the boss in DS3. And I have no idea why. I always play a Sorcerer on my first playthrough of a Souls game and DS3 was the first game where I beat the last boss on my first try. It was weird. The boss was cool, but I kept thinking, "there's gotta be more right?", and then there wasn't, and it felt really odd. Later on after doing some research I would just discover that Sorcerers are extremely overpowered against most of the bosses in the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom