• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT2| Welcome to NG+, Unkindled One

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
FINALLY
I enjoyed that a lot. Not many games where you can die 20+ times and still get enjoyment from it

Now time to kill everyone and go onto ng+

Cyrano

No there wasn't any Estus animation... He just got to full health. It must've been an item... Or hacks.
If you didn't see a running animation it could have just been the crappy netcode. I've had many situations where players don't animate at all while playing online. I'm not sure what causes it and it's very inconsistent, but when it does happen it tends to basically make PvP impossible (since you can't see how or what they're doing at all).

If there was animation (you saw the run animation as they sprinted away), then yeah, probably hacks. There are also, of course, some players who use lag switches as well. Which aren't "hacks" per se, nearly so much as exploiting the netcode.

Goddammit, *final boss spoiler*
Soul of Cinder
is really
disappointing
after
The Nameless King

That would have been
one hell of a final boss.
I think it might be my favourite in the series (Bloodborne excluded).

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
So if you miss a ring on NG are you fucked?
And does covenant alleigance carry over into ng+?

I need the rings from darkmoon and farron annoyingly

Cyrano

So if you miss a ring on NG are you fucked?
And does covenant alleigance carry over into ng+?

I need the rings from darkmoon and farron annoyingly
1) Depends on the ring.
2) Yes, covenant allegiance carries over.
3) For those two, you might have to go to NG+, depending on where you are in the various stories/quests in the game.

Either way, if you're going for the all rings achievement, you need to do both NG+ and NG++.

Ohnonono

I beat the game! Also I got the "dark" ending. Do you get a gold trophy for each ending? Game was really fun but I have kept playing in NG because I missed some estus upgrades and want to grind out weapons as much as I can. I maxed out Dark Sword (Which I am pretty bored of), then the Dragonslayer Spear and Gundyrs and the Wolf Greatsword. I think it will be really fun replaying with those weapons. I also really like the spear weapon you get from NK. Looks like I would need to level up a magic stat to get it to work though. Right now I am a basic quality build. I thin I would need to devote 9 full levels to that statwhich would get to almost to lvl 100. Is it worth it to do that? Either way game is cooool.

tskeeve

Melee is great actually. You can't expect wacky ass weapons like Amygdala's Arm or Whirligig Saw in Dark Souls, that doesn't mean the melee is inferior.

I agree that the melee is great - I mean, this is the stuff that thrilled me back when I first started Demons' Souls, and the mechanics and 'feel' still satisfy me - but truthfully, I feel like Bloodborne opened up Pandora's Box for me.

I agree with you that many of the trick weapons wouldn't "fit" in Dark Souls. I'm not saying that Dark Souls should have trick weapons and expanded weapon movesets. Maybe Dark Souls should remain the way it is. What I'm saying is, sadly, I think Bloodborne is making this return to Dark Souls a decent bit less satisfying than I expected.

I hope it's not blasphemous for me to say here (not trying to rain on anyone's parade), but as a long-time Soulsborne fan, this game - while entertaining - is really making me want another fresh game out of FROM, one decoupled from series conventions, perhaps even moreso than Bloodborne.

ExReey

Finally brought my strength up to 24, enough for wielding the butcher's knife.
But after properly checking its stats, I'm a bit disappointed: it does a lot less dmg than my +3 longsword.

If I upgrade the butcher's knife to +2 (I only have 6 shards for the moment), its base attack value is 114, against 132 for a longsword +2.

I'm not sure the A strength scaling will be enough to compensate the lower base value; is there a way to exacly calculate the total dmg a butcher's knife +2 will do with 24 strength?

Is there a reason I shouldn't stay with the longsword, and keep upgrading that?

The knife's sharpen skill is nice, but it comes instead of my shield's parry and block, so I dunnow...

Ruuppa

But after properly checking its stats, I'm a bit disappointed: it does a lot less dmg than my +3 longsword.

If I upgrade the butcher's knife to +2 (I only have 6 shards for the moment), its base attack value is 114, against 132 for a longsword +2.

I'm not sure the A strength scaling will be enough to compensate the lower base value; is there a way to exacly calculate the total dmg a butcher's knife +2 will do with 24 strength?

The knife's sharpen skill is nice, but it comes instead of my shield's parry and block, so I dunnow...

The Longsword is absolutely top-tier in weapons. Good moveset, good damage, amazing coverage with the sweeps, massive R1 spam possibilities..

Most of the cool weapons are there for you to get your individual style going, if you just want to wreck face, stick with the basics. Because they are amazing.

Sarcasm

Weird I Got a LS+3 and a Knife at +4. Knife does more. Maybe my DEX is bare min for the LS.

(I like the LS moveset more, I only have the knife at +4 because my wife trolled me and did it while I was AFK)>

Alo0oy

Banned
I agree that the melee is great - I mean, this is the stuff that thrilled me back when I first started Demons' Souls, and the mechanics and 'feel' still satisfy me - but truthfully, I feel like Bloodborne opened up Pandora's Box for me.

I agree with you that many of the trick weapons wouldn't "fit" in Dark Souls. I'm not saying that Dark Souls should have trick weapons and expanded weapon movesets. Maybe Dark Souls should remain the way it is. What I'm saying is, sadly, I think Bloodborne is making this return to Dark Souls a decent bit less satisfying than I expected.

I hope it's not blasphemous for me to say here (not trying to rain on anyone's parade), but as a long-time Soulsborne fan, this game - while entertaining - is really making me want another fresh game out of FROM, one decoupled from series conventions, perhaps even moreso than Bloodborne.

I understand, the limited movesets of dual weilding weapons is disappointing to me too, I don't like how there's only one button tied to dual weilding attacks, so there's definitely room for growth in Dark Souls 3's combat for certain weapons.

The regular non-paired weapons feel great though, the only class that feels inferior to Bloodborne is the Katana, and that's only because the Chikage was the GOAT Katana in the series. The other weapon classes feel just as good as they did in BB.

Things that use titanite to upgrade dont worry about using the mats too much you will get more than you know what to do with before end of the game. If you're going straight strength your best bet is probably going to be go woth a heavy gem infusion on a broad sword dark sword or even your long sword would be ok i imagine. I know that a dex and str build with refined dark sword dmg is tough to beat in pve. Just a str build with heavy gem isnt to far off from it though. If possible get your pyromancy to point you can use flame weapon on it as well. Fire tears a good bit of the enemies up. In reinforce menu at blacksmith it shows you what the upgrade will do on the right where numbers are blue so you can get a good idea how many points each upgrade will give you with whatever stat youre trying to check out.

Venom Fox

Banned
How do you repec your character?

Also, I want to go for a pure meaty build that can wreck shit in PVE and PVP. Are there any tips on what stats are best to level up or weapons I should be looking at? I'm currently using the Masters Katana+1.

Also, I want to go for a pure meaty build that can wreck shit in PVE and PVP. Are there any tips on what stats are best to level up or weapons I should be looking at? I'm currently using the Masters Katana+1.
You have to join Rosarias covenant to respec. For pvp the demons great axe is pretty good. Pve straight swords like dark sword broad sword and long sword are all good.

Meaty build in this game is the same sort of quality build as the others. 40 in vigor/endurance/str and dex.

Venom Fox

Banned
You have to join Rosarias covenant to respec. For pvp the demons great axe is pretty good. Pve straight swords like dark sword broad sword and long sword are all good.
Also my class is knight, I keep hearing people say to put a ton of points into DEX and STR. Should I also upgrade my stamina and health a little as well? Thanks for the weapon suggestions!

Meaty build in this game is the same sort of quality build as the others. 40 in vigor/endurance/str and dex.
So just a pure melee brute? Sounds good!

So just a pure melee brute? Sounds good!

Yeah. If you want to PvP don't touch any magic other than weapon buffs and try to avoid weapons that do anything other than purely physical damage. Health is very important in PvP nobody is going to respect your awesome "glass cannon" build and not hit you first.

ExReey

Weird I Got a LS+3 and a Knife at +4. Knife does more. Maybe my DEX is bare min for the LS.

(I like the LS moveset more, I only have the knife at +4 because my wife trolled me and did it while I was AFK)>

Could you share your current knife +4 dmg stats and STR and DEX? I want to know what to expect when I start upgrading the knife!

Joey Ravn

Banned
lol okay, the Dark Sword is pure BS. They have the speed of a straight sword and staggers like a UGS. /salty

I love my Heavy Dark Sword for PvE. It'a absolutely amazing. I got it and never looked back.

I don't know what Stomp does, to be honest. I never used it, though I'm carrying a Shield of Want to get more souls. I should just use a regular shield and parry everything...

lcap

Guys, sorry to ask again, but since it wasn't answered.

I booted DS3 for the first time on my PS4 yesterday, it updated normally, but I can't connect to its servers. Tried rebooting, rebuilding database, nothing.

This happened yesterday and today.

Alo0oy

Banned
Yeah. If you want to PvP don't touch any magic other than weapon buffs and try to avoid weapons that do anything other than purely physical damage. Health is very important in PvP nobody is going to respect your awesome "glass cannon" build and not hit you first.

Glass cannon builds are legit, you can kill people with one well timed spell, I did it with a Sunlight Spear, see here:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=QaR7up7zVcY

ExReey

Things that use titanite to upgrade dont worry about using the mats too much you will get more than you know what to do with before end of the game. If you're going straight strength your best bet is probably going to be go woth a heavy gem infusion on a broad sword dark sword or even your long sword would be ok i imagine. I know that a dex and str build with refined dark sword dmg is tough to beat in pve. Just a str build with heavy gem isnt to far off from it though. If possible get your pyromancy to point you can use flame weapon on it as well. Fire tears a good bit of the enemies up. In reinforce menu at blacksmith it shows you what the upgrade will do on the right where numbers are blue so you can get a good idea how many points each upgrade will give you with whatever stat youre trying to check out.

How does a heavy gem work? Does it remove previous regular upgrades? Can you still further upgrade afterwards?

I want a pure STR build using weapon, shield and heavy armor (but stay under the 70% encumbrance limit).

LiK

The NG+ and NG++ play-through doesn't bother me, the covenant rings and spells are what makes the Plat harder than it should be.

I'm about to finish NG+ so I hope I can persevere.

yea, grinding for the covenant stuff is the worst. collecting the +1 +2 rings is no big deal. they're just sitting there and you can make suicide runs to some of them.

Soulhouf

Also, anyone looking for a challenge for NG+ should be playing fully embered and with dried finger/way of the blue. Lots of invaders up in that range and it will make it an interesting experience.

That's what I'm doing right now with my SL75 character in NG+3.
I'm having a blast with invaders while allowing Darkmoon Blades to have some action as well.

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
Hrm that's odd. Orbeck
vanished from the Firelink Shrine before I could buy "Repair" and "Hidden body." They were the only two left before I bought all the spells (I already gave him all 4 of the scrolls). He said "Promise to stay safe. Its been nice running our own little school." and now he's gone, and his ashes aren't where they're supposed to be.

Baraka in the White House

2-Terms of Kombat
I kind of hate invasions these days.

Latest experience:

1. Invaded

2. Give them that work, they reach for estus.

3. Give them more work, they start running looking for enemies to help them.

Oops! Power blipped. My bad, asshole.

Nameless King
down. I feel dirty for resorting to upgrading a great shield specifically for use in the fight, but in the end I really didn't need it more than once or twice but I did run out of Estus by the end of the fight. I ate the bastards soul as soon as the fight ended, I don't care if it gives the best weapon ever, I want nothing more to do with that boss, lol!

Tingle

I kind of hate invasions these days.

Latest experience:

1. Invaded

2. Give them that work, they reach for estus.

3. Give them more work, they start running looking for enemies to help them.

Oops! Power blipped. My bad, asshole.

I don't really blame you for that, but just as a warning they will ban you from online if you over do that.

Also giant's seeds and lloyds talisman are helpful for those types of invaders.

w0s

Nameless King
down. I feel dirty for resorting to upgrading a great shield specifically for use in the fight, but in the end I really didn't need it more than once or twice but I did run out of Estus by the end of the fight. I ate the bastards soul as soon as the fight ended, I don't care if it gives the best weapon ever, I want nothing more to do with that boss, lol!

Kinda funny. This was the only boss I used a summons for in my first run. I got him down to halfway once in stage 2 but other than that I was just frustrated. Anyways in my NG+ I was running out of steam to finish the game a little so I decided to just summons. Well the asshole just sat in the corner for 80% of the fight while I beat him first shot. After stage 2 started he decided to help me but really just got hit a lot. I was like man wtf I could have done that myself and feel redeemed about my only summons.

Echoplx

I don't really blame you for that, but just as a warning they will ban you from online if you over do that.

You can roll back your save and be unbanned, the entire system is a joke.

Giants seeds are rare and undead hunter charms are incredibly easy to dodge and leave you open for attack.

Ruuppa

As an invader, may I say that Giant's Seeds are damn effective. Especially if the invader spawns far away. I don't really get how to make them spawn, however. Killing invaders/Getting killed by invaders should trigger a new seed, right?

Momentary

Banned

I have 5 on me at all times and have it set on my quick bar. I wait for them to run into a horde of enemies and just laugh. I've only had 3 people run off like that so far.

Dimmle

I like to use Lloyd's Talismans as an invader. Nothing more satisfying than seeing them reach for that forbidden Estus.

Momentary

Banned
As an invader, may I say that Giant's Seeds are damn effective. Especially if the invader spawns far away. I don't really get how to make them spawn, however. Killing invaders/Getting killed by invaders should trigger a new seed, right?

They have a 50% chance to spawn at the tree after being invaded. You can go back as many times as you want. It's not rare. I have 5 on me and 3 more in storage. I only use them on run aways. I would have more but I got tired of running back and forth.

Soulhouf

Nameless King

Too bad, the Falchion type weapon you make with his soul is awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom