• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT2| Welcome to NG+, Unkindled One

Status
Not open for further replies.
just beat the game. Beat
Soul of Cinder
before NK. Ended up getting help for NK and the champ b/c I didn't really want to go through those fights. Overall liked the game except I felt that builds didn't really open up till end game (at least the ones that I wanted, faith+spears). At least getting cool weapons like the
dark knight glaive
or
dragonslayer spear
. I also didn't like how obtuse some of the side quests were since I ended up somehow messing up Anri's and Seigwards even though I was trying to do them both. Other than that I liked the game, but idk if I would do ng+ or another character.

patchday

finally beat that
tree boss thing at undead settlement.
Feels good. I'll finally find the time to be done with this game by end of this year at this rate o_O

Freeman76

Hit a wall at the Princes. FuCK!! TBH after 4 games series fatigue is settling in, when i came up against Flamelurker for the first time all those years ago i just tried over and over until he was beaten, as much as i love these games im starting to lose patience and rush shit now.

Need a bit of advice here for anyone who's finished the 4th ending or at least trying it

I killed Horace after defeating Wolnir and when I left to go back to Anri near the bridge there was only a prim stone. I went back to the firelink shrine and she isn't there. Did she move ahead to the church of Yorshka?
Just need some kind of answer/confirmation here

Kyuur

Finished this on Friday. Checked online, didn't miss any content other than NPC storylines (so I can't judge there yet). Overall (without having played BB and DaS2 DLC yet) I would it falls like this:

BB = DaS > DaS2 = DaS3 > DeS

My main complaint is linearity and lack of world inter connectivity. I probably would have been satisfied with a real link from
Anor Londo back to the High Wall
or somewhere before that, but we didn't even get that much. There is a nice option in
being able to kill Emma early to progress to Lothric Castle immediately
but given the rest of the game's linearity and the difference in enemy power, its still rather limiting.

I was impressed with the game's itemization in loot from the beginning, a huge breath of fresh air after BB, but towards the end of the game it sort of dwindled. Lots of titanite, recycled armor sets (
Nameless King
should have had his own stuff, come on). Still, the weapon skills add a lot of diversity and magic was done better than ever, so props on that.

Visually the game's environments were top-notch as usual. I absolutely hated the lack of any explanation or reason for the end-game environments. Maybe its a lore thing that I have yet to uncover, but coming from BB its kind of disappointing to not have even a slight nod in the main story.

The ease of invasions really amped up the PVP experience in the game. Was a blast using Dried Finger in heavily populated areas. Mound Makers is a really neat idea as well. Seems pretty balanced on a whole too.

Lastly in regards to the very-very end game:
The final boss was very uninspired. Felt like something I'd find it any other generic JRPG. Felt just as underwhelming as Nashandra, which is a bummer.

Still an amazing game, but I yearn for more interconnected worlds. Given Dark Souls being the first title I played, its one of the main things that made me fall in love with the series. Going to finish up DLC for BB and Dark Souls 2 before I replay and go through the NPC storylines more carefully.

Alo0oy

Banned
You, luck builds are badass and extremely underrated, 40LK/25ST/25DX Anri's sword does insane damage. Not only that, but it also adds health regeneration (+stackable with the Sun Princess ring).

AND can inflict poison/bleed within ~4 hits if you use lacerating or poison resin.

This shit is dope, best build in the game!

Korosenai

Couple questions about my intelligence build

1. Should I infuse my weapons with the crystal gem, or should I just buff them with the magic weapon spell?

2. Should I be infusing or reinforcing my staffs with gems and shards, or just leave them as is?

2AdEPT

Holy man! I was so chicken of facing the Pontiff solo that I started the new Hypermode character and all that stuff...but now that I got all that sorted out I had to do it...yes I tried him out a couple times, and watched a few poeple parry him with hornet ring etc. but this just my twin sellsword +7 character in NG (uses carthus ring for extra frames but gets punished on the damage absorbtion).....I remembered to put on more armour than just he Sword master scraps, but forgot to buff tears of denial, did it mid fight, forgot to bring weapon buff, normally this ends in epic fail for a first try...but somehow I pulled it off.....feels so good but vulgar language watch on the video!!!!!

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Yeah if you give any pale tongues, that INCLUDES respeccing, she will hate you. I know because I stupidly just respecced and this happened to me, I didn't think that would count...

I accepted the covenant in a previous playthrough but never used a tongue and she never hated me.

It's funny because I played the japanese version first, and I didn't mess up ANY NPC questlines even though I didn't read how to do anything. I never finished playing the japanese version, got the PC version in english, and messed up EVERY SINGLE ONE lol.

I miss no fall damage :(

ah major bummer then. i selected respc, not even knowing what it was. i didn't even really change anything, but I did use the feature. that's lame. what did I miss out with Sirrus?

2AdEPT

You, luck builds are badass and extremely underrated, 40LK/25ST/25DX Anri's sword does insane damage. Not only that, but it also adds health regeneration (+stackable with the Sun Princess ring).

AND can inflict poison/bleed within ~4 hits if you use lacerating or poison resin.

This shit is dope, best build in the game!

...and if you incorporate the morion and tearstone hyper mode variables (which you can get early) or caress of carthus(sp?) and PW, then its lights out OP. I started three early hyper mode characters incase they patched the
sword master
glitch...the very first one will be a luck/bleed path...but I dotn know anythign about where to get Anri's etc. ..
I hope I can go backward from Lothric!!!

Cyrano

...and if you incorporate the morion and tearstone hyper mode variables (which you can get early) or caress of carthus(sp?) and PW, then its lights out OP. I started three early hyper mode characters incase they patched the
sword master
glitch...the very first one will be a luck/bleed path...but I dotn know anythign about where to get Anri's etc. ..
Anri's
is the best straight sword in the game for a Luck build and you can get it very early if you're really good at backstabs (or willing to spend some time respeccing and abusing Hidden Body).

jjonez18

Pontiff
with his shadow clone jutsu, my god. On another level compared to the other bosses so far. Took probably half the day to take him out. I've gotta get my stats up. SL48 with a greatsword that does 140 per swing. Took an eternity and near perfection and ALOT of luck.

Cyborg

Pon
tiff
1st try and Ald
rich
3rd try down.

I was farming the Silver Knight set, damn it. It took me 1.5h

Cyrano

Pontiff
with his shadow clone jutsu, my god. On another level compared to the other bosses so far. Took probably half the day to take him out. I've gotta get my stats up. SL48 with a greatsword that does 140 per swing. Took an eternity and near perfection and ALOT of luck.
You need to level up your weapon as well. There is no way a Greatsword should only be hitting for 140 in
Irithyll

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I apologize in advance, but I tried making a black character for my new run and...

This is fucking hard. I just can't get him to look right, and it's bothering me a lot. I tried modeling it off of my friend Omar and he's just laughing his ass off at the pic I sent him and is like "lol well at least you tried"
My friend made a decent one, I thought.

laq9rHS.jpg

He felt the skin was too unnaturally dark and changed it somewhat at Rosaria's later but I didn't notice a huge difference... skin tone looks weird under some lighting conditions and okay in others, for some reason.

This and this don't look bad. I'll probably try to make a black dude if I get the game.
Those are amazing!

Yesterday I had 2 times in which my riposte didn't worked, the first time it was because I couldn't hurt the invader. Which not sure if was a glitch or a cheater, and the second one only the first hit of connected.

Sucks much, still I plan to keep using dried finger and way of the blue in this NG+ run.

Alo0oy

Banned
sword master

I tried the Morion Blade, it's pretty good.

But the utility around Anri's Sword makes it easily the best weapon, it has high AR, has blessed properties (stackable with Sun Princess, great in very long levels, not really useful in PVP though).

And besides all the above, you can poison or bleed your opponent extremely quickly with resin, make sure you have poison and/or bleed knives with you as well.

There are still plenty of weapons to experiment with, and my luck level is still around 25, so things might change, but right now it gives you all the advantages of STR/DEX/QLT straight sword builds AND more with poison/bleed scaling and a staff that scales with luck (if you're willing to put points into INT, you only need the minimum because the staff scales only with luck).

Ugh, should I be scared of PvPing on PC? :(

Apparently there are soft-banned players running again on PC and if they hit you it can cause all sorts of funky things like giving you embers every time you hit them/they hit you, change your character into a dragon (normally a covenant effect IIRC), doubling your HP when they hit you, stuff like that.

Always back up your save regularly. If you encounter any of these players and your character gets illegitimate items / afforded weird effects, simply rewrite your save with your back up.

TheBear

I am getting my ass handed to me by Aldrich. Why can't I summon two players? I've been summoned into that fight with two others a few times now

Jombie

I'm doing a SL1 and I'm just trash at this game. I've done one for 1 and 2 (no pyro on both), and I just can't beat Pontiff or the Dancer. There's just too much shit to constantly dodge and I can't keep pace. I'd take O&S or Manus Sl1 any day over this shit. I'm so frustrated.

jjonez18

You need to level up your weapon as well. There is no way a Greatsword should only be hitting for 140 in
Irithyll

Yeah I know. Dude a couple above my post was doing more with daggers lol. Its the sword from
abyss watcher
with base stats. Dnot know if I'm gonna stick with it, so I'm not sure if I want to invest the resources to make it better.

leehom

Not like this From Soft....

They need to fix Darkmoon. Left my game on for hours while I was doing other stuff on my computer and never got summoned once. I put on the Aldrich one and get summons right away left and right.

Tried to farm them from the knights and only got 2 in an hour....

There has to be a better way to get the concords, there has to be......

I am getting my ass handed to me by Aldrich. Why can't I summon two players? I've been summoned into that fight with two others a few times now

You're limited to 1 summon in that fight. You have to use a dried finger to be able to summon 1 more (but you'll also be prioritized for invasion, as you may know).

You're limited to 1 summon in that fight. You have to use a dried finger to be able to summon 1 more (but you'll also be prioritized for invasion, as you may know).

How many areas do this? After being told that you can have two summons or three with a dried finger, it's not cool that random areas limit this number without saying a single thing

Meccs

Any suggestions for a good anti gank weapon? Something that is good against multiple people? It seems a lot of invaders are using the Glaive to good effect.

Cyrano

Yeah I know. Dude a couple above my post was doing more with daggers lol. Its the sword from
abyss watcher
with base stats. Dnot know if I'm gonna stick with it, so I'm not sure if I want to invest the resources to make it better.
You will eventually be able to purchase every type of upgrade material, so don't worry too much about not having the materials.

About to finally enter NG+ and I have just passed the 100 hour mark on my main character. Doing all the covernant stuff took me longer than my first playthrough.

Cyrano

Any suggestions for a good anti gank weapon? Something that is good against multiple people? It seems a lot of invaders are using the Glaive to good effect.
Farron Greatsword
is great against multiple opponents, and some pyromancies are also really good. Weapons with special abilities, like
Moonlight Greatsword or Profaned Greatsword
also work really well. Basically, boss weapons are probably your best bet.

Straight swords and daggers will get you killed if you're not in a 1 on 1 situation.

Unit24

Is it possible to parry the lightning powered attacks of the
black/silver knights
that use non-greatswords? I've been trying to for a while now and it just seems impossible.

Ruuppa

Rush him solo. Never stop rushing him. If he's on the screen? Rush him. If you can't see him? Wait for him to appear, then rush him. He only gets two proper counters to that, and both of those only come to play in his later form.

Two-handing a Katana (Washing Pole/Uchi) with Carthus Rouge has a really good chance of getting Bleed to trigger, so use that for some extra oomph. Compared to other bosses he doesn't have all that much health, and he frequently runs away if you get close, allowing you to get extra hits. Staying at range will just kill you outright.

Cyrano

Is it possible to parry the lightning powered attacks of the
black/silver knights
that use non-greatswords? I've been trying to for a while now and it just seems impossible.
Not the lightning-powered attacks, but any of the non-lightning-powered ones can be parried. The greatsword-wielders can be parried as well but missing their timing might also kill you.

Beating Yohrm with
Siegward by my side
was epic despite it trivializing the fight a bit.
Glad I was able to complete his quest

Anyone else feel the
profaned capital
was an underwhelming area? After emerging from the hell that was
irithyll dungeons
I was expecting something more interesting.

How many areas do this? After being told that you can have two summons or three with a dried finger, it's not cool that random areas limit this number without saying a single thing

The 2 covenant areas; the forest (Watchdogs of Farron) and the area after Pontiff (Aldrich Faithful).

Unit24

Not the lightning-powered attacks, but any of the non-lightning-powered ones can be parried. The greatsword-wielders can be parried as well but missing their timing might also kill you.

See, this confuses me because I can parry the lightning powered spear/halberd attacks, but not the sword ones, and I have a friend who swears up and down that he parried a lightning sword attack.

Is it a good idea to make a new character a Pyromancer ? I never played magic build in Bloodborne and I want to try something new. Any tips ? Recommandation ?

Ladekabel

What's a good enemy to practice parrying? I could do it with my eye closed in Dark Souls but never found the window in 2 and having problems in 3, too.

Cyrano

See, this confuses me because I can parry the lightning powered spear/halberd attacks, but not the sword ones, and I have a friend who swears up and down that he parried a lightning sword attack.
Hm... well, I can't seem to find video of this but you could very well be right. I've never personally been able to parry their lightning strikes, and after a certain point just decided it was better to not waste my time trying when it was easier to just parry their regular strikes.

Cyrano

What's a good enemy to practice parrying? I could do it with my eye closed in Dark Souls but never found the window in 2 and having problems in 3, too.
The window was much wider in Dark Souls 1 than in 2 or 3.

Are you practicing for PvP or PvE? Because for either, I'd say training on the enemy you want to parry would be the best practice. Parrying a straight sword is very different from parrying a greatsword, and PvE parrying is much easier than PvP parrying, but also different (due mostly to not having latency).

edit: apologies for double-post.

tskeeve

I'm enjoying DS3, but I think this is going to be the game that burns me out on Soulsborne. Even though the multiplayer connectivity was borked, Bloodborne was such a breath of fresh air from a gameplay perspective - specifically, the weapons had fresh movesets. Here, so many of the movesets are recycled, except for the weapon arts. I dunno, but the variety is just not there. We've been using similar variations of these movesets for 4 games now (DeS, DS1, DS2, and DS3). I know it must seem ridiculous given how much people criticized Bloodborne for lack of build variety, but I'm actually starting to feel that Dark Souls has a melee gameplay variety issue.

Ruuppa

Lothric Knights are ok, and so are Silver Knights for PvE. For PVP, you just need to do it. Currently the "best" parrying item is the Caestus, because it has no start-up frames, which allows for instant parries.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom