• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT2| Welcome to NG+, Unkindled One

Status
Not open for further replies.

LogicStep

I started a new character and I'm having a blast. I figured I'll solo all three bosses this time around but when I got to the abyss watchers I ended up summoning help. I feel dirty that I couldn't do it by myself. I'm sure I would eventually get it but I just wanted to move on. That's a tough fight to solo. Even with parry, if I messed up I'd lose a lot of HP.

GeeTeeCee

19 and a half hours in and I've only recently cleared C
athedral of the Deep
, all because I'm happiest helping other players make progress in their games rather than my own.

I didn't do any co-op in Bloodborne and I've realised just how much I missed it.

Lux R7

I started a new character and I'm having a blast. I figured I'll solo all three bosses this time around but when I got to the abyss watchers I ended up summoning help. I feel dirty that I couldn't do it by myself. I'm sure I would eventually get it but I just wanted to move on. That's a tough fight to solo. Even with parry, if I messed up I'd lose a lot of HP.

It's not so bad. You can stagger them/him, so the battle it's like: hit hit wait, dodge his combo, hit hit wait dodge the combo - repeat.

Tingle

You can roll back your save and be unbanned, the entire system is a joke.

Giants seeds are rare and undead hunter charms are incredibly easy to dodge and leave you open for attack.

I've never really had an issue landing lloyds' talisman. People seem to be oddly oblivious to it, I guess because nobody really uses them. If you throw it when they are taking a sip, then heal yourself it is pretty effective to me.

GulAtiCa

Disconnecting yourself is really an asshole thing to do. Will end up getting you soft-banned too.

Use a seed of the Giant or some lloyds' talisman. Both are easy to get.

myco666

I kind of hate invasions these days.

Latest experience:

1. Invaded

2. Give them that work, they reach for estus.

3. Give them more work, they start running looking for enemies to help them.

Oops! Power blipped. My bad, asshole.

You know you could just pop a Seed or just stop caring about dying and follow that person. If you don't want to get invaded then don't walk around embered.

kencey

NG+ does seem easier, although my fight with the Sword Master near Firelink Shrine was still quite challenging and fun. That guy is a beast.

The first Black Knight at the swamp area, you know?
That guy hits like a truck on ng+ (you don't want to get hit anyway :p)

aeolist

Banned
Hrm that's odd. Orbeck
vanished from the Firelink Shrine before I could buy "Repair" and "Hidden body." They were the only two left before I bought all the spells (I already gave him all 4 of the scrolls). He said "Promise to stay safe. Its been nice running our own little school." and now he's gone, and his ashes aren't where they're supposed to be.

i've had some really buggy NPC interactions. on my first run hawkwood would only ever repeat his first set of lines, after starting NG+ and reaching firelink he immediately went through the whole set of them and gave me the heavy gem.

GulAtiCa

Where is the spell inventory ? How do I select what spell in the quick menu ?

You do it at a bonfire. Only after reaching the Firelink Shrine as well. (Not that you will have new spells before then, though)

Assuming you meant equipping it. Else just view at Item menu and go a few tabs to the right.

Well I beat DS3. Took me 24 1/2 hours. Was a great game, but the final boss is a pushover. Beat him on my 2nd try.

Heavy Dark Sword is very good, but I am thinking about using Farron Great sword in the 2nd journey. Seems like a fun weapon to use

Vitor711

You know you could just pop a Seed or just stop caring about dying and follow that person. If you don't want to get invaded then don't walk around embered.

I disagree with this - the change of estus drinking speed is bad for PvP. Invaders already have an advantage in a 1 on 1 - just because they have a few less Estus charges doesn't even it out.

If I hit you half a dozen times and get you to a sliver of health, it's almost impossible for me to break the heal animation. A running attack from my broad swords/greatswords have a longer animation than the healing. It's stupid.They barely need any distance to make it a safe heal as most people's stamina levels are roughly the same so if you can't destroy them in one combo, you're likely out of juice to follow-up for the killing blow.

GulAtiCa

I'm such an asshole. lol. I'm being a mad summon in G
rand Archives
. I co-op for most part. But once the host reaches the 1st major short-cut that drops down the big long ladder. I then get behind them with my Hornet ring on and backstab them. Usually halfs their HP and the force of it pushes them off the ledge too. So they either fall from the fall or from me then landing on them. :)

So.... I did this on a guy last night for the best effect ever. I was aiming for this the whole time, but this host just wouldn't for the LONGEST time kick the ladder down. I was worried I agro him from accidentally hitting him. So while near that ladder, he kept trying to hurt me. Nothing serious, mainly kicks. I ignored it and kept pointing to the ladder to "help" him unlock a shortcut. Eventually he went on his was around the area. While doing that I stayed there and kept using the "Hey" gesture to lure him over and kept pointing.

After like 5 damn minutes. He finally saw what I was pointing to and kicked down the ladder. I then proceeded to stab him in the back (with Hornet ring + Fire Clutch for extra damage) and the fall down to the area below killed him. Yep, he was right to not trust me... :lol

Question about some questlines

1. SO I missed
Rosaria's Lair
in the Cathedral- I'm currently at Smouldering Lake- can I go back and still do that

2. Now that I am at Smouldering Lake- Can I go back still and do
Siegwards Questline
or continue it- I've done everything up to that point for him.

3. DO I have to open the door for 20K Souls at Firelink for
Patches
to continue the
Siegward Questline
if I still can at this point

Steel

Banned
I've always made Katana builds first in every Souls so far and I never even considered maining the WP in any of them (Iaito and Blacksteel were my favourites). Quality Build in 3 and it out damages (and obviously out ranges) every other katana in the game, even the damn Chaos Blade. Keep in mind that I haven't tested it against Darkdrift yet, nor a +5 Bloodlust.

The durability doesn't even come into play, so I think it's only real downside is it appears to be ever so slightly slower than the others, though that may be me.

Worth noting that it uses significantly more stamina than the other katanas. I don't care for katanas that much, though. They're easy to parry and don't have much stopping power.

Jamesways

Started a second character, doing a dex/luck bleed build, focusing on Anri's Sword and katanas.

Edit- Oh, if you have the stats for it and like straight swords, Astora's SS infused with Raw at the start of the game is insane for damage. It out performs pretty much everything even with a few shards.

Wanted the Darkdrift and armor set, so killed Yuria early. Don't want to be hollow, so grinding 50k near the beginning, used the Tower Key for the soul for her to heal.

Question- Using the Tower key early screwed up Patches my last playthrough, he never showed up at FL or CoTD the whole game. I think went in the rafters first too.
So I'm wondering if I'm screwed in this one too.
Can you use the tower key early and still get Patches?

So annoying online night last night, helping people beat the tree and dancer (people fighting it early), and had encounters where the host summoned two or even used a finger for 3, then during the boss, ran like a coward the whole time.

Happened over and over. At one point during the tree fight I'd follow the host at the edge of the map using the point gesture to the boss. What a waste, summoning that many buffs the bosses HP, the phantoms ended up dying (not surprising against the dancer with that much HP) and the host would too then.

At least make an attempt. Especially against the tree, it isn't that tough.

I don't know what Stomp does, to be honest. I never used it, though I'm carrying a Shield of Want to get more souls. I should just use a regular shield and parry everything...

It's like a guard break move. L2 then R2 and you can follow up with a normal attack if you are quick enough. I never was so I barely used it.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
I really wish this game had some sort of boss rush mode. I love testing different weapons against the bosses, seeing how quickly I can take them down. The problem is that when I DO take them down, that's it. Gotta trek through the game again to get to the next one.

Toxi

Banned
I really wish this game had some sort of boss rush mode. I love testing different weapons against the bosses, seeing how quickly I can take them down. The problem is that when I DO take them down, that's it. Gotta trek through the game again to get to the next one.
We need Dark Souls 2's Bonfire Ascetics.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Started a second character, doing a dex/luck bleed build, focusing on Anri's Sword and katanas.

Edit- Oh, if you have the stats for it and like straight swords, Astora's SS infused with Raw at the start of the game is insane for damage. It out performs pretty much everything even with a few shards.

Wanted the Darkdrift and armor set, so killed Yuria early. Don't want to be hollow, so grinding 50k near the beginning, used the Tower Key for the soul for her to heal.

Question- Using the Tower key early screwed up Patches my last playthrough, he never showed up at FL or CoTD the whole game. I think went in the rafters first too.
So I'm wondering if I'm screwed in this one too.
Can you use the tower key early and still get Patches?

So annoying online night last night, helping people beat the tree and dancer (people fighting it early), and had encounters where the host summoned two or even used a finger for 3, then during the boss, ran like a coward the whole time.

Happened over and over. At one point during the tree fight I'd follow the host at the edge of the map using the point gesture to the boss. What a waste, summoning that many buffs the bosses HP, the phantoms ended up dying (not surprising against the dancer with that much HP) and the host would too then.

At least make an attempt. Especially against the tree, it isn't that tough.

i got tower key early and patches didn't show up in the shrine or CotD, but i came back later and climbed the tower again and he appeared that time

z1ggy

Nameless King is probably one of the best fights i ever had in a videogame...it's a shame they have to put it in a "secret" area.

Jamesways

i got tower key early and patches didn't show up in the shrine or CotD, but i came back later and climbed the tower again and he appeared that time

Thanks, good to know, I never tried that the first game.

With this character I really want the black leather armor for nostalgia, I wore that a whole run in DS.

Korosenai

Couple questions about my intelligence build

1. Should I infuse my weapons with the crystal gem, or should I just buff them with the magic weapon spell?

2. Should I be infusing or reinforcing my staffs with gems and shards, or just leave them as is?

Ohnonono

What is a good build for using the NK big lighting spear weapon? Currently I am running a quality type build, and I am level 89 or so. I think I need to get to 18 in one of the magic stats to get the base for it, but is it worth pumping more than that into it? It seems like a cool weapon and I want to use it! I am not PVPing by the way. This is just for having fun playing through the game in NG+ and onward.

myco666

Or maybe dickheads can learn to take an L once in awhile when they bite off more than they can chew?

What L? If you assume that random invaders have to follow some 'honor code' then you are playing the wrong game. That is what the red summon signs are for. Seriously using a Seed is effortless and you get those like candy anyway. Either they run back and give your 'honor' duel or they die against the enemies.

I disagree with this - the change of estus drinking speed is bad for PvP. Invaders already have an advantage in a 1 on 1 - just because they have a few less Estus charges doesn't even it out.

If I hit you half a dozen times and get you to a sliver of health, it's almost impossible for me to break the heal animation. A running attack from my broad swords/greatswords have a longer animation than the healing. It's stupid.They barely need any distance to make it a safe heal as most people's stamina levels are roughly the same so if you can't destroy them in one combo, you're likely out of juice to follow-up for the killing blow.

It is good for PVP considering how often you encounter 2v1 situations as a invader. With 1v1 it is really a non issue since you can always use a Seed and put the invader onto same playing field as you. And all those points you made against Estus applies to you too and you will have double the amount of Estus.

You didn't answer me: Had you summoned phantoms? The answer to this question is very important to whom I'd consider to be the scrublord in this scenario

I wish when it said "Summoning another phantom..." that the 'another' was in italics. The summon train for a single invader can be ridiculous a lot of the time.

krossj

Started a few days ago and have just reached ithryll, which is a beautiful area especially after the areas leading up to it, enemies seems tougher as well which is good. Cathedral of the Deep was another really cool area.

Soulhouf

Is there a way to disable voice messages on PS4?
I'm getting tired of receiving hate messages from people after they get killed ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Soulhouf

There should be an option. Can't you just delete them before opening them?

You can "leave the conversation" which notifies them and they send me more messages calling me coward or what have you because I didn't reply.
It's annoying >_>

LiK

You can "leave the conversation" which notifies them and they send me more messages calling me coward or what have you because I didn't reply.
It's annoying >_>

Just add them to block list. You don't need to endure it. Also report them for abuse.

can some enemies not be back stabbed? there's this one guy I creep behind and it just wont backstab. I'm a thief and can get close to anyone, but not this one knight.

Toxi

Banned
Wow, the areas in this game are gigantic. I was watching EpicNameBro's Let's Play and it's staggering how many parts of the Undead Settlement and Farron Keep I missed.

It's really awesome. I don't actually mind the increased linearity in the order of the areas that much just because there's so much freedom in how you can progress through many of them.

(though Dark Souls' first half is still my favorite approach to world design in the series)

Kamina

Golden Boy
You didn't answer me: Had you summoned phantoms? The answer to this question is very important to whom I'd consider to be the scrublord in this scenario
And if he had? Seriously, I don't understand why some people think that a invaded host is dishonorable or a ganker when playing with others, when the first thing most red phantoms do is to run towards enemie groups to have an advantage once they see it's difficult.

Wow, the areas in this game are gigantic. I was watching EpicNameBro's Let's Play and it's staggering how many parts of the Undead Settlement and Farron Keep I missed.

It's really awesome. I don't actually mind the increased linearity in the order of the areas that much just because there's so much freedom in how you can progress through many of them.

(though Dark Souls' first half is still my favorite approach to world design in the series)
The weird thing is some of the areas are shockingly small which contrasts quite a bit with areas like the ones you mentioned. Profaned Capital and Consumed King's Garden come to mind.

That said, I think the balance is great overall.

zma1013

I just got invaded by someone, and as soon as he ran away he healed to full HP. What item does this? That fucking sucked...

Could have been someone rating his messages. You get full health back when someone rates your message. I've had it happen to me a couple times while doing fair duels. I'm sure the people I fought thought I was an ass for healing or a hacker.

Baraka is right. PvP invasions or whatever is a joke in Dark Souls. I only lost once and that was because I was on 1v2 and i still almost beat them. Killed one and had the last guy on a one hit left and he killed me as i killed the other. I also had to deal with them running to enemies because apparently 2v1 wasnt enough.

If people just fight 1v1 without help its decently fun, but flask healing and running to enemies, or invading multiple people is annoying.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom