• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT2| Welcome to NG+, Unkindled One

Status
Not open for further replies.

LiK

Invasions in Demon's and DkS1 felt like events and made me super tense. Invasions in DkS2 and DkS3 feel more like annoyances. Also, why are invasions so common in this game when there is supposed to be a coodown?

So me and my friend finally beat the game the other day. We did not get a trophy for the ending. Is this a bug? Or did we get an ending that rewards you with no trophy?

Ending Spoilers below:

We summoned the Firekeeper and killed her.

Edit: According to a wiki it is intended to not get a trophy for this ... :(

Have I missed Anri's quest line?
I spoke to her in the catacombs once and found Horace and killed him. I didn't find her anywhere after that and apparently I was supposed to encounter her in the Church of Yoshka bonfire but she's nowhere to be found. When I go back to the catacombs where she was standing there's a shining light on the ground.

zma1013

I spoke to her in the catacombs once and found Horace and killed him. I didn't find her anywhere after that and apparently I was supposed to encounter her in the Church of Yoshka bonfire but she's nowhere to be found. When I go back to the catacombs where she was standing there's a shining light on the ground.

You're supposed to go back and talk to her after you kill Horace. I don't know if not doing that messes up the questline though.

Raw64life

As long as you didn't kill
Wolnir
yet you're still good. She's
before you cross the bridge to Wolnir

Wolnir

I actually managed to continue the quest after Wolnir. I think the Wolnir requirement was just an assumption on the website guide's part and not something that's actually true.

Wolnir

Unfortunately I beat that boss already. This game is mocking me. I just spoke to Yuria and she asks if I know Anri and that I should wed her. I'm taking it that doesn't mean anything and she's gone
?

myco666

Baraka is right. PvP invasions or whatever is a joke in Dark Souls. I only lost once and that was because I was on 1v2 and i still almost beat them. Killed one and had the last guy on a one hit left and he killed me as i killed the other. I also had to deal with them running to enemies because apparently 2v1 wasnt enough.

If people just fight 1v1 without help its decently fun, but flask healing and running to enemies, or invading multiple people is annoying.

I disagree with the bolded. That is the most boring part of PVP. It is just two guys circling around each other while sometimes trying to poke the other one. Popping a Seed and battling in the middle of a enemy mob is much more interesting and fun.

neoism

What's a good enemy to practice parrying? I could do it with my eye closed in Dark Souls but never found the window in 2 and having problems in 3, too.

for me for some reason this is the hardest game to parry in... I was really good in ds2 but not this game.. :(

Syder

Just completed my first playthrough. Deliberately missed some optional bosses so that I'd have reason to do subsequent playthroughs. I plan on seeing all possible endings.

Right now I'm kind of in the camp of 'better than DSII but still doesn't touch Dark 1 and Demon's'.

582B639F281E10BCD6AF2461323E787EEE2F41ED

GeeTeeCee

Oh joy, I think I've buggered up my first npc sidequest. Joined a covenant in the C
athedral of the Deep
, and when I went back to Firelink some npc whose name I don't even recall told me
the next time we met would be as adversaries

I also
healed the dark sigil after only two free levels
, but I'd already decided I didn't want to do that ending path anyway.

Vitor711

It is good for PVP considering how often you encounter 2v1 situations as a invader. With 1v1 it is really a non issue since you can always use a Seed and put the invader onto same playing field as you. And all those points you made against Estus applies to you too and you will have double the amount of Estus.

My issue is that it just drags on fights that should be over fairly quickly. I don't want a protracted 10 minutes of chasing - I want a gripping 1/2 minute adrenaline rush like it was in DeS or DkS1.

And if he had? Seriously, I don't understand why some people think that a invaded host is dishonorable or a ganker when playing with others, when the first thing most red phantoms do is to run towards enemie groups to have an advantage once they see it's difficult.

Did you read what he said? This all changes of course if he didn't have a phantom, but assuming he did: He felt good about beating someone 2 or 3v1, he felt that it was cheesy by the invader to heal when he was outnumbered two or three to one, he felt good about beating even after he healed, then when the invader ran away after the host had valiantly fought him with an advantage of 2 or three to one he couldn't deal learning "to take an L once in awhile when they bite off more than they can chew" and decided to cut the power instead. gg

Of course, this all changes if he hadn't summoned, but since he still hasn't answered my question yet, I'm sure he did in fact summon.

Basically it's ironic to expect the invader to fight chivalrously, when you don't give them that courtesy yourself. When I invade, if the host is alone, I will only heal if they heal. If they let me fight them one on one, I will fight them one on one without healing except for in between rounds. If they immediately attack me together, of course I'm going to hide behind enemies. If they pretend to fight one on one, only to jump in once their friend is in danger, of course I'm going to hide behind enemies. If the host pretends to be alone, only to have friends hiding nearby that come in after awhile, I'll grudgingly admit that was a well-executed plan, and then immediately do everything I can to get out of there and hide behind enemies. If they pop a seed, I'll use that to my advantage by kiting the enemies back to the host party (more invaders should use this very effective technique).

I've never summoned myself (because I'm not a scrub) so I haven't been invaded very often myself, but every time i HAVE been invaded, and the invader notices that I'm on my own they NEVER hid behind enemies. Sure, sometimes they heal, but I don't mind, because I have more healing than them, and besides, healing is a lot easier to punish than in DaS 2.

Basically, golden rule: treat others like you want to be treated. If you want the invader to fight fairly, fight fairly yourself. If you pull dirty tricks, expect dirty tricks back. Ain't no big thing, I enjoy both honour duels or dirty, dirty fighting when I invade.

Invasions in Demon's and DkS1 felt like events and made me super tense. Invasions in DkS2 and DkS3 feel more like annoyances. Also, why are invasions so common in this game when there is supposed to be a coodown?

lol, if you feel that invasions are common, maybe don't ruin the challenge for yourself by summoning phantoms all the time? I've played 95 % of the game in ember form (without summoning) and only been invaded very few times.

I personally wish they were more common! I guess Way of the Blue plus Dried Finger could be a decent way to get more invasions without making it unfair for either side. If I do NG+, that's what I'll do

KorrZ

Beat the game last night (I know LTTP at this point).

Took me about 32 hours and finished at SL 84. I have one optional boss left to fight
Nameless King
which I plan on doing tonight. Great game, I definitely think it's my favourite one in the series.

Last boss gave me quite a bit more trouble than I want to admit - took me somewhere between 10-12 tries.

Persona7

Banned
I have been invading outside of the dancer boss fight for the past two hours and I have concluded that nobody fights this boss without at least 3 co-operators.

KHlover

Banned
I have been invading outside of the dancer boss fight for the past two hours and I have concluded that nobody fights this boss without at least 3 co-operators.
With each phantom you have a higher priority for getting invaded. If you use Dried Fingers (needed for summoning 3 phantoms) you open yourself up for nonstop invasions.

tl;dr: Very VERY biased sample

Kamina

Golden Boy
Basically it's ironic to expect the invader to fight chivalrously, when you don't give them that courtesy yourself.
I don't, thats the thing.
Basically, golden rule: treat others like you want to be treated. If you want the invader to fight fairly, fight fairly yourself. If you pull dirty tricks, expect dirty tricks back. Ain't no big thing, I enjoy both honour duels or dirty, dirty fighting when I invade.
You might be an exception then. I had my fair share of invasions, or was PvEing two on two against aldrich faithfuls as Golden Phantom, and 90% of the time during a regular duel, when the invader was losing he/she startet to retreat behind enemy lines.
My general experiances are that there are rarely any fair sutuations with invaders. Also the fact that they do actually invade into a world that cant hurt them but only the host is already unfair.
I see it this way: if i summun you to PvP then i play fair, but if you invade me then expect me to use the same dirty tricks you would use against me to get your kill.

Finished the game last night. Played a strength build (Yhorm Machete) and was around SL 100.
Nameless King
was the hardest boss for me and I needed co-op for phase 2. The game was fun but nothing really stood out. I really like the Ember system. Humanity in DS was just silly.

In terms of game play, I rate DS2 the best (in souls series). As a hex build I was destroying bosses with just Dark Orbs. I had to play as melee in DS3. I did not like weapon arts and Ashen Flask concept did not appeal to me. In terms of level design and enemy variety I really liked DS3 more. I would say I prefer Scholar of first sin over this just because I had a lot more fun playing as OP hexer.

ALL BOSS SPOILERS.

wtf is this guy's build?

Watch his other videos: the way he disposes of every boss so nonchalantly is impressive.

He's stacking damage buffs sacred oath and deep protection from miracles. The morion blade and red tearstone ring critical health buff. Flynns Ring and maybe Leo's Ring for high thrusting weapon damage. The buffs alone add 55% to their total damage output. The person is ultra fragile though one hit and they die. I don't know if all that would get those results, but I wouldn't be surprised.

GulAtiCa

I'm not even going to try to farm for Proofs until NG++. I'm going to wait till I have all the Luck increase gears and such to help increase my odds.

Davildinho

Neo Member
Anybody on xbone? Do summons work?

Been trying to help at bosses. Get being summoned to another world then unable to join session every time.

Controller going through tv in a minute!

Thanks to my brother who reminded me to visit the garden in Lothric Castle. Almost skipped some of the coolest areas in the game (U
ntended
G
raves
and A
rchdragon
P
eak
). And holy fuck was the latter cool.

I feel like I missed roughly 70% of all NPC and covenant related lore and quest lines in my playthrough.
The crestfallen warrior disappeared one day.
G
reirat
went on a second thieving spree but never came back.
My only encounter with S
iegward
was at the Undead Settlement.
And I found Y
oel
of L
ondor
simply lying dead in his corner.
A couple of other NPCs I only saw once.

Dang, there is so much more to discover in subsequent playthroughs. In my opinion the game feels much more complete and dense than Dark Souls or Bloodborne. Lots of great locations, there is no area that feels really rushed, has tons of content that improves replayability. It has the best visuals of the series, some of the best bosses, the best animations.
It only needs some more PvE and PvP balancing e.g. actual poise and magic refinement. But nothing that can't be fixed with patches and since the game will have its frst DLC in autumn and a second next year it's safe say that the game will receive decent long term patch support.
A few shortcomings in world interconnectivity and PvP balancing but I think the game is almost on par with the first Dark Souls. Most enjoyable game of the series and if FromSoftware can deliver expansions of the same quality and content we've seen in Dark Souls and Bloodborne then DS3 might even turn out as the best Souls game to date.

Edit: Extra character screens. Did my first playthrough with that. Thank From for a decent character creator this time.

You might be an exception then. I had my fair share of invasions, or was PvEing two on two against aldrich faithfuls as Golden Phantom, and 90% of the time during a regular duel, when the invader was losing he/she startet to retreat behind enemy lines.

Maybe different regions and/or platforms are different in player behaviour? I'm in Scandinavia on PS4 and only had good experiences with invaders. Might be different in other regions/platforms.

I see it this way: if i summun you to PvP then i play fair, but if you invade me then expect me to use the same dirty tricks you would use against me to get your kill.

Like I said, if you play dirty, when I invade, I don't mind. I enjoy playing dirty as well as honourably, so if you play dirty I can engage in some dirty play myself without feeling too bad about it.

What I really hate though is people whining about dirty tactics when they initiated the dirty play themselves. Makes you come off really badly in my opinion.

I don't, thats the thing.

I see you edited. Seems we are in agreement then :)

Meccs

Got the Platinum, took about 83 hours total.

The Darkmoon farming wasn't fun, but not as bad as I thought it would be. It took about 4 hours.
PC Version, on NG+ and I spend the last 15 hours with this shit equipped and still not one single summon as a blue! This shit is impossible...

hope it's not spoilers?

Advices? Continue to farm or NG+?

Got all 3 endings, got all trophies beside:

Master of Expression: Learn all gestures 23/26
not 100% sure but i'm missing
Proper Bow: Kill Yellowfinger Heysel, the NPC invader in Farron Keep. Then give a pale tongue to the Rosaria's Fingers covenant. Yellowfinger Heyzel's summon sign appears next to the tower full of slugs near the Keep Ruins bonfire. Summon her to receive the gesture. Abyss Watchers must be alive
By My Sword: Received from summoning Black Hand Gotthard. He will perform the gesture as he is summoned
Duel Bow: Received after summoning Londor Pale Shade before Abyss Watchers or Pontiff Sulyvahn

Master of Sorceries: Acquire all sorceries 32/34

Deep Soul: Obtained by Soul of Deacons of the Deep Transposition
Great Deep Soul: Aldrich Faithful Rank 1 reward

Master of Pyromancies: Acquire all pyromancies 23/27

Toxic Mist: Found on corpse in lava area of the Catacombs of Carthus
Warmth: Mound Makers Rank 2 reward

Master of Miracles: Acquire all miracles 32/35
Darkmoon Blade: Blades of the Darkmoon Covenant Rank 2 reward
Deep Protection: Purchased from Irina of Carim for 4000 souls
Gnaw: Purchased from Irina of Carim for 2000 souls

i think i screwed her by buying dark miracles and then i somehow had to kill her.

http://zkjellberg.github.io/dark-souls-3-cheat-sheet/#Master_of_Infusion

Kamina

Golden Boy
Totenacker der Asche
This is the reason why I don't play games in german. What a horrible translation.

Maybe different regions and/or platforms are different in player behaviour? I'm in Scandinavia on PS4 and only had good experiences with invaders. Might be different in other regions/platforms.:)
Possibly, but I am from central europe, Austria, so shouldn't we be plainying in the same region?
Where are you from?

Trakan

PC Version, on NG+ and I spend the last 15 hours with this shit equipped and still not one single summon as a blue! This shit is impossible...

I was in NG+ when I did it as well. I had the 4 free ones from playing the game normally twice and was only summoned 3 or 4 times. I farmed for the rest. 99 luck, Crystal Sage Rapier, GSR+1, and rusted coins.

As someone who used to hate the Dark Souls series (started with DS2) this game is fantastic. 35+ hours in, about 75% the way through and have loved every minute.

Definitely found it easier than 2, but that's possibly down to the experience learned. Have only had to summon an NPC for one boss, and have beaten rest within three attempts.

The boss weapons seem disappointing apart from a few, I think it's cooler to have them...just to have them.

Haven't really disliked any of the levels unlike in DS2, only really enjoyed a handful of them.

Can't wait to play through it again, hopefully magic builds are viable?

LiK

ROFL, poor ENB. if he only explored a lil bit more he could've gone to that bonfire right before the fog gate.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
I've been reading in here how hard it is to get proof of concord kept and I was dreading it. However, today while wearing blue sentinels I've been summoned at least once every 10 minutes and have gotten 14 proofs since I started playing 3 hours ago.

Soul level 99, does that have anything to do with it? Also PS4.

MilkBeard

That's what I'm doing right now with my SL75 character in NG+3.
I'm having a blast with invaders while allowing Darkmoon Blades to have some action as well.

It's pretty crazy, although the game takes forever to pull in a Blademoon sometimes. Should be instantaneously. Especially if I've got two invaders, lol.

Can't wait to play through it again, hopefully magic builds are viable?

Pyro gets good late game. Painful to make though.
Sorcerer gets good late but you can do the invisible backstab thing to most of the enemies till you get there making it easier going.
Not finished a faith build yet so no comment.

Easy option probably to melee your way to 100 odd levels then respec.

neoism

lol okay, the Dark Sword is pure BS. They have the speed of a straight sword and staggers like a UGS. /salty

lol even though its good if you use and bull if you dont... its reach is just terrible.. I have like 15 of them lol... but the drakeblood greatswoard is soooo good....

DeVeAn

enemies have more life, so yes, farming only takes longer if you decide to do it in NG++

Well, I am hoping the fix the drop rate or make the Covenants work. I would like to platinum this but, I can't do the farming for multiple covenants.

myco666

I've been reading in here how hard it is to get proof of concord kept and I was dreading it. However, today while wearing blue sentinels I've been summoned at least once every 10 minutes and have gotten 14 proofs since I started playing 3 hours ago.

Soul level 99, does that have anything to do with it? Also PS4.

Pretty much just luck if the covenant works or not. Most people who say that Proofs are hard to get don't get summoned at all via the covenant. Only way to get those Proofs then is to farm them with awful droprate for hours.

Continuing my new character run, I just completed S
mouldering
L
ake
. I had completely missed this area on my first playthrough. I'm glad I found out about it because it's a really cool area, both in looks and content.

19 and a half hours in and I've only recently cleared C
athedral of the Deep
, all because I'm happiest helping other players make progress in their games rather than my own.

I didn't do any co-op in Bloodborne and I've realised just how much I missed it.

That's how I did it too. And I'm doing it again on my new character. I love being a Sun bro and helping other people out.

Sullichin

Was using raw reinforced club +7 w/ carthus rogue or carthus flame arc in my Sl1 run, but I just switched to raw broadsword +5.

Fuck if it's not just better, even two levels lower. Reinf. Club is much better on shielded enemies though. Probably should have killed Anri for her sword because I think she's gone from my game now. Unless she can still be in catacombs even after you beat the boss?

VIG is the best stat in the game by far. I'm hardly gimped in terms of damage at level 1, it's only hard because of lack of health and to a lesser degree endurance.

Persona7

Banned
With each phantom you have a higher priority for getting invaded. If you use Dried Fingers (needed for summoning 3 phantoms) you open yourself up for nonstop invasions.

tl;dr: Very VERY biased sample

that area isn't good for invading in my experience because everyone starts the boss fight within seconds of joining the game...lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom