• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT2| Welcome to NG+, Unkindled One

Status
Not open for further replies.

neoism

Still no comment from FROM regarding 1.06 on PC or Hacks...

yeah there was something on reddit but dun have a link... they know about it and are working on a fix....

nevermind lol i found it..
https://www.reddit.com/r/darksouls3/comments/4hbbul/update_the_dev_team_is_currently_working_on_new/
f1sXzqu.jpg

LogicStep

I've been reading in here how hard it is to get proof of concord kept and I was dreading it. However, today while wearing blue sentinels I've been summoned at least once every 10 minutes and have gotten 14 proofs since I started playing 3 hours ago.

Soul level 99, does that have anything to do with it? Also PS4.
Do you get summoned to any area in the game or just on the area you're currently in?

I started my new character and I've had blue sentinels the whole time and nothing.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Do you get summoned to any area in the game or just on the area you're currently in?

I started my new character and I've had blue sentinels the whole time and nothing.

I've been getting summoned to various areas not just where I'm currently at. Oh also Embered/Unembered doesn't seem to matter either. Maybe I'm just getting lukcy.

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
i've had some really buggy NPC interactions. on my first run hawkwood would only ever repeat his first set of lines, after starting NG+ and reaching firelink he immediately went through the whole set of them and gave me the heavy gem.
Yeah, he said the same thing through most of the game, but then suddenly after beating
Anor Londo
he tells me all about the
road of sacrifice
and the
Farron's Keep
and then
the blacksmith was talking about him
. So yeah, buggy NPCs. (I know it's a while since the game was out, but I don't know what to and what not to spoil. Better safe than sorry.)

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Nah, melee is fine, what's bad is the atrocity people call bow combat, what a let down after Simon's Bowblade, not to mention the inability to get decent arrows even in NG+ until the mid game all because the Shrine Maiden's inventory resets.

What is wrong with the bow combat? Simon's Bowblade was pretty different, sure, but bows have always been a support weapon in DS, not a main weapon. I think it works great, I like the bows, they are useful. Hell I won my last boss fight with my bow because
I had 1 HP left, from Tears of Denial cracking, and 0 estus, and was using the Chaos Blade... if I attacked I'd die xD so I finished off the boss with my bow haha

As for the arrows, doesn't Greirat sell heavy arrows pretty early on? Not a huge deal IMO.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Did they make this game easier in the various patches? I beat it once on PS4 at the Japanese launch with the 1.01 (?) patch, but now I'm playing it on PC and feels a ton easier. Maybe I just got better after playing it once on PS4, then playing through Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin on PC before jumping into PC Dark Souls III, but I'm just breezing through it without dying much at all. I'm still only in the catacombs, but I haven't died once to the bosses, while in the PS4 version I got my ass handed to me at least a few times by all of them (except the Crystal Sage/witch boss).

I'm playing a very similar build as I did on PS4, but it feels like I'm just taking a ton less damage from everything. Maybe it's my imagination, and that 60 fps is just that much of big advantage over the comparatively choppy PS4 version.

One thing of note, I kind of hate how powerful the Fire Longsword is. It's damage output, speed, and versatile move set make it feel almost pointless to use anything else until the later parts of the game, especially considering how many enemies are weak to fire.

LiK

Did they make this game easier in the various patches? I beat it once on PS4 at the Japanese launch with the 1.01 (?) patch, but now I'm playing it on PC and feels a ton easier. Maybe I just got better after playing it once on PS4, then playing through Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin on PC before jumping into PC Dark Souls III, but I'm just breezing through it without dying much at all. I'm still only in the catacombs, but I haven't died once to the bosses, while in the PS4 version I got my ass handed to me at least a few times by all of them (except the Crystal Sage/witch boss).

I'm playing a very similar build as I did on PS4, but it feels like I'm just taking a ton less damage from everything. Maybe it's my imagination, and that 60 fps is just that much of big advantage over the comparatively choppy PS4 version.

One thing of note, I kind of hate how powerful the Fire Longsword is. It's damage output, speed, and versatile move set make it feel almost pointless to use anything else until the later parts of the game, especially considering how many enemies are weak to fire.

I read that they actually made it harder than Japanese release. Maybe you got gud.

I'm having such a tough time with the final boss. I'm at my worst in these 1v1 humanoid duels - I just can't find a time to safely attack or heal, I can get in one swing of this slow as fuck Claymore if I'm lucky, and he usually hyper-armours through it with his next attack and hits me at the end of my swing or I *just* roll through his that next attack, which means after 3 rolls, a sword swing and another roll I've no stamina left. This is like
Nameless King
all over again, I just can't find a window of opportunity big enough to get even one safe attack in.

I assume he can be parried in the second phase since
he's basically Gwyn
, but can he be parried in the first phase?

Can I also say how much I dislike bosses like this in any game, I think it's so lazy and obvious. Ever since Dural in VF I've intensely disliked this design idea.

Frustrated and venting!

2AdEPT

I tried the Morion Blade, it's pretty good.

But the utility around Anri's Sword makes it easily the best weapon, it has high AR, has blessed properties (stackable with Sun Princess, great in very long levels, not really useful in PVP though).

And besides all the above, you can poison or bleed your opponent extremely quickly with resin, make sure you have poison and/or bleed knives with you as well.

There are still plenty of weapons to experiment with, and my luck level is still around 25, so things might change, but right now it gives you all the advantages of STR/DEX/QLT straight sword builds AND more with poison/bleed scaling and a staff that scales with luck (if you're willing to put points into INT, you only need the minimum because the staff scales only with luck).

Oh I agree man, but you perhaps dont recognize what I mean...the Morion gives you the same effect as red tearstone ring (i.e. iirc 20% attack up at less than 30% health) it stacks, you do the math...keep morion in the off hand instead of the grass shield WHILE using Anri's sword is likely the highest damage output per swing in the game (with other buffs like power within.)

I show the difference in damage at low level using the dark axe +1 with Knight ring, tearstone and morion blade at the end of this video. You can use the key in the description to skip around unwanted parts. The damage almost doubles from 207 to 387. The same effect will be available to boost Anri's sword, get my drift now?

Norse360

I've been trying to get some help for the boss in
Untended Graves
, but whenever I try to summon help I get "unable to summon phantom". I've tried for a couple of days now, but it fails all the time. Is the game broken or is it me? I'm on Xbox One.

What is wrong with the bow combat? Simon's Bowblade was pretty different, sure, but bows have always been a support weapon in DS, not a main weapon. I think it works great, I like the bows, they are useful. Hell I won my last boss fight with my bow because
I had 1 HP left, from Tears of Denial cracking, and 0 estus, and was using the Chaos Blade... if I attacked I'd die xD so I finished off the boss with my bow haha

As for the arrows, doesn't Greirat sell heavy arrows pretty early on? Not a huge deal IMO.

Not to mention that Bowblade made irrelevant several bosses and levels in BB. Something similar would have been even more broken in DS3.

Gbraga

I just finished the Cathedral of the Deep on my first playthrough, what a brilliant level! Seriously one of my favorites in the series, and so is the Undead Settlement.

I'm in love with this game so far. Aldrich is one of the coolest characters in the franchise. CAN'T WAIT to meet him.

There's so much content in this game, so many equips to farm, so much to read and speculate about...

60 something hours into the game.

myco666

I just finished the Cathedral of the Deep on my first playthrough, what a brilliant level! Seriously one of my favorites in the series, and so is the Undead Settlement.

I'm in love with this game so far. Aldrich is one of the coolest characters in the franchise. CAN'T WAIT to meet him.

There's so much content in this game, so many equips to farm, so much to read and speculate about...

60 something hours into the game.

What? How? Just how is this possible?

Sullichin

Pretty sure I've mentioned this to you before but Gamesave manager is a godsend for PC users...it didnt have DS3 ready to go at launch but it does now.

Nice.

Still a total bullshit solution for them to suggest though. On the off chance that something like game save manager deletes/corrupts your save (I know it works well), they would just say that it's an unsupported third party program.

I'm having such a tough time with the final boss. I'm at my worst in these 1v1 humanoid duels - I just can't find a time to safely attack or heal, I can get in one swing of this slow as fuck Claymore if I'm lucky, and he usually hyper-armours through it with his next attack and hits me at the end of my swing or I *just* roll through his that next attack, which means after 3 rolls, a sword swing and another roll I've no stamina left. This is like
Nameless King
all over again, I just can't find a window of opportunity big enough to get even one safe attack in.

I assume he can be parried in the second phase since
he's basically Gwyn
, but can he be parried in the first phase?

Can I also say how much I dislike bosses like this in any game, I think it's so lazy and obvious. Ever since Dural in VF I've intensely disliked this design idea.

Frustrated and venting!
I had trouble with the final boss but the humanoid bosses are the best in the game. Some of the early gimmick bosses are terrible.

tariniel

I'm slow.

I've been trying to soak things in and go slow too, I'm around 25 hours now and I think I only have 3-4 areas left. I haven't gone slow enough!

Then I read some posts a few pages back about people that managed to beat the game in <15 hours on their first run and then complain. There's tons of stuff to look at and read, those people did it to themselves. I read every item I get and explore every nook and cranny.

I can't wait until I finally finish the game and go have a gander at the lore/spoiler threads. I found a few areas and items lately that have made me have an epiphany kind of moment about the games story.

jett

D-Member
So what's the deal with
the dragons in Lothric Castle?
Are they bugged?
Why do both of them die when you kill one of them? They don't give any souls or items. In NG+ I sniped the white one, both died, and I got shit out of it.

Ferr986

Soak it in. I have nothing to do now until DLC and I'm sad.

Yeah I wish I could be as slow.

My Souls 3 playtime consist on doing NG+ with my first character, without trying to speedrun it (don't you think its way easier than other games NG+?) and then log with my 2nd character to see if I'm lucky to get summoned as a Bluebro. 1 hour later I log off with 0 summons.

N° 2048

annd done my first play through. Did the
The End of Fire
ending
without killing the Fire Keeper

Took me 48 hours and finished at SL92

Honetly though the story is so confusing to me I don't really care, the gameplay is amazing that's why I play these games. Might hit up NG+ but if that Fallout 4 patch comes tomorrow I'll be busy with that.

Just wanna say thanks for everyone's help here! Might finish off the couple bosses I missed.

Tingle

So what's the deal with
the dragons in Lothric Castle?
Are they bugged?
Why do both of them die when you kill one of them? They don't give any souls or items. In NG+ I sniped the white one, both died, and I got shit out of it.

That isn't how you kill them.
They have black, hollowed arms you need to fight to kill them.

I had trouble with the final boss but the humanoid bosses are the best in the game. Some of the early gimmick bosses are terrible.
I mean, this is just a question of preference isn't it - I like the tree boss with certain points of attack, Wolnir, Deacons of the Deep - this is my kind of thing. Abyss Watchers was just Maria pt2 to me, I can take it or leave it. Gherman etc, all these kind of bosses are the least fun for me. It's just a matter of taste (yes, you might say I don't have any!!)

Maybe it's just because the humanoid bosses seem to be more relentless in their attack patterns and it grinds up against my playstyle, so until I learn their patterns I get very frustrated with them.

I'm slow.
I can dig it. I thought I was going slow compared to some people's numbers in this thread - I'm at the end boss at 50 hours, but I think you win! Soak it in!

jett

D-Member
That isn't how you kill them.
They have black, hollowed arms you need to fight to kill them.

I know, I did that in my first playthrough.
Still, dunno why both stop responding when you down one of them. I never found the "abomination" for the left dragon, he just disappeared all on his own my original game.

Gbraga

I've been trying to soak things in and go slow too, I'm around 25 hours now and I think I only have 3-4 areas left. I haven't gone slow enough!

Then I read some posts a few pages back about people that managed to beat the game in <15 hours on their first run and then complain. There's tons of stuff to look at and read, those people did it to themselves. I read every item I get and explore every nook and cranny.

I can't wait until I finally finish the game and go have a gander at the lore/spoiler threads. I found a few areas and items lately that have made me have an epiphany kind of moment about the games story.

Yep, yep! And I usually take longer than most people with any game, so I'm guessing we're probably playing similarly, I'm just slower for no actual reason.

And even going as carefully as possible, I still fucked up a few quests already, the depth in NPC quests and amount of them is, even as early into the game as I am, the best I've seen in the series. When it comes to NPC questlines, DS3 is already my favorite.

Overall I'm pretty sure I'll still prefer Bloodborne in the end, just because of its genre and the nature of its story, but Dark Souls III so far is better than I expected.

I'm finding the whole
Way of White storyline, and how Carim seems to be shaping and manipulating it with their typical shadiness
so fascinating!
Is Thorolund even around anymore? And I wonder what happened to Lloyd after Carim pretty much convinced the world that he was a fraud.

Ever since the opening cinematic reveal, I'm in love with Aldrich, simply because
he's a fucking blob who became a Lord of Cinder!
And every new bit of info on him I get, I feel like I made the right bet. What a captivating and disgusting character...

As someone who has over 100 invasion wins, I decided to write up some tips for people struggling with invasions where you are going into 1v2 or 1v3 situations. So please enjoy hydrophilic attack's guide to gittin gud at invasions

The most important tip is to get them to chase you into a group of enemies. Almost all levels have bits with groups of pretty strong enemies that are really useful when fighting several other players at once. Once you get them to follow you there, running away will often not workc for them, because some of these enemies will chase them relentlessly. To get the host party to chase you you need to annoy them enough so that they don't just choose to wait you out instead. Spam the carvings over and over. Use insulting gestures. Shoot at them with arrows. Get in there, take a few hits and then run away to make them chase you for the kill. 90 % of the time it will work, but 10 % of the time you will be unlucky enough to invade a group of friends playing together. They can usually be a bit more patient, because they are probably on voice chat shooting the shit so waiting them out is difficult. That's ok. Next invasion will be easier.

Realize that most who need to summon help are scrubs and will make scrub mistakes. Specifically, it is very common for people to R1 spam with no regards to stamina, then try to back away with their shields raised. In these situations you only need one or two hits on their shields to break their guard.

Don't wait too long to get started. It's fun to invade in the early-to-mid game. People have less healing and haven't finalized their builds. This can get you some relatively easy kills.

Choose the right spot. It goes without saying that you should choose a level you know well. That makes it easier to figure out where the host is based on what enemies are dead. Furtho, you won't have to hesitate about where you need to lead the host party to get the upper hand. Also, make sure you don't invade too close to the boss. You don't want to choose a spot where there is a high probability that the host will reach the boss within a minute after you spawn.

Try to separate the host from their summons. Try to get one of them to chase you down a drop with enemies below. That way, the summon who followed you can't quickly get back to their friends. The host will have to choose between watching their friend die or dropping down in the pit with the enemies.

Use the environment to your advantage. I described in the previous point how to use drops to your advantage. Now I'll use the Catacombs as a case study for other ways to use the environment to your advantage. It's an invader's heaven, and just a funhouse full of little tricks you can play. I'll spoiler tag it in case someone hasn't gotten there yet.
You can trick them into getting hit by the rolling skeleton ball. Since you get estus back from defeating summons it may even be worth it to take some damage yourself if it can lure an enemy phantom low on health to their death. You can trip the pressure plates to deal a lot of damage to the host or summons. Since you deliberately activated it yourself, you know when to dodge. You can start breaking the pots that release the dark damage spells. They will exclusively target the host party. You take no damage. There is an area with a lot of these pots and some pressure plate trap. This is a great place to lure them to because many people don't realize how dangerous it is before it's too late. You can lure them to the bridge just before the boss. Stick around for awhile, then watch them get ganked by the army of skeletons that appears. If they try to escape across the bridge, cut it down.

Final tip: if you encounter a host without summons, or if they have summons but let you fight one on one, for the love of god, please don't be a dick and run off to heal behind enemies. You're never getting better odds than one on one, no heals, so please don't reward their generosity with being an asshole You are giving all invaders a bad name and in the long run will make host parties feel justified in engaging in preemptive dirty play. I mean, I don't mind some mutual dirty play, but if you don't like that style of play yourself, don't encourage it.

Final final tip: if you don't enjoy invading, don't force yourself to do it for the sake of some silly trophies. Life's too short.

Tingle

I mean, this is just a question of preference isn't it - I like the tree boss with certain points of attack, Wolnir, Deacons of the Deep - this is my kind of thing. Abyss Watchers was just Maria pt2 to me, I can take it or leave it. Gherman etc, all these kind of bosses are the least fun for me. It's just a matter of taste (yes, you might say I don't have any!!)

Maybe it's just because the humanoid bosses seem to be more relentless in their attack patterns and it grinds up against my playstyle, so until I learn their patterns I get very frustrated with them.

I always liked how diverse the bosses were in DeS- in both designs and fighting style. I feel like in the recent games the humanoid bosses have been generally on the better end of the boss designs, but only because they kind have dropped the ball on the gimmick bosses.

Kalameet always stands out to me as a great non-human boss which doesn't rely on a gimmick. I think his fight has to be one of the best in the series.

That being said, I did like the
ancient wyvern
- it was a pretty unique way of handling a boss.
Yohrm
on the other hand was a total letdown just to throw in a lame reference, unless
Siegward
shows up,he somewhat salvages it.

Jamesways

Oh I agree man, but you perhaps dont recognize what I mean...the Morion gives you the same effect as red tearstone ring (i.e. iirc 20% attack up at less than 30% health) it stacks, you do the math...keep morion in the off hand instead of the grass shield WHILE using Anri's sword is likely the highest damage output per swing in the game (with other buffs like power within.)

I show the difference in damage at low level using the dark axe +1 with Knight ring, tearstone and morion blade at the end of this video. You can use the key in the description to skip around unwanted parts. The damage almost doubles from 207 to 387. The same effect will be available to boost Anri's sword, get my drift now?
Holy shit! This is fantastic. As I said on a few pages back, I just started a second character to focus on a Dex/luck build.
This is s game changer for sure. Thanks!

Tingle

I know, I did that in my first playthrough.
Still, dunno why both stop responding when you down one of them. I never found the "abomination" for the left dragon, he just disappeared all on his own my original game.

Ah, well that just sounds like a glitch or something to me, I don't honestly know. You need to
drop down off the roof onto the second dragon's abomination.

LogicStep

I've been getting summoned to various areas not just where I'm currently at. Oh also Embered/Unembered doesn't seem to matter either. Maybe I'm just getting lukcy.
I guess it's luck. I've also been invaded only once, I'm trying to stay embered, and no blue came to help and I tried to take as long as I could.

That being said, I did like the ancient wyvern- it was a pretty unique way of handling a boss. Yohrm on the other hand was a total letdown just to throw in a lame reference, unless Siegward shows up,he somewhat salvages it.
I agree with this. I think I died 5 times on Ancient Wyvern, 3 of which were failed plunging attacks, but I liked that the "boss" wasn't really the "boss". Yorhm was kind of boring though, I pretty much tanked it whilst Siegward did all the work.

I think Wolnir is a great design and perhaps the best way that kind of boss in the series could've gone (Dragon God, Bed of Chaos).

0racle

Guys, im at crossroad on what to do ! im trying to get as many trophies as I can and there seems to be conflicting info which I cant get both !

I want to get the gesture from YELLOWFINGER HYSEL but it says I need to give pale tounge to rosaria . This will block out SIRIS quest line though if I talk to rosaria right? can I complete SIRIS quest first ? what do I do?!

Jamesways

Kalameet always stands out to me as a great non-human boss which doesn't rely on a gimmick. I think his fight has to be one of the best in the series.
Agreed! One of the best boss fights on the souls universe IMO. I loved facing him in subsequent ng playrhroughs. I could not beat him on ng+++.

Arjen

Guys, im at crossroad on what to do ! im trying to get as many trophies as I can and there seems to be conflicting info which I cant get both !

I want to get the gesture from YELLOWFINGER HYSEL but it says I need to give pale tounge to rosaria . This will block out SIRIS quest line though if I talk to rosaria right? can I complete SIRIS quest first ? what do I do?!

I'm afraid you have to pick one and do the other in NG+

I'm at soul level 55, have been a Sunbro since as early as you can be, and yet I've never been summoned yet. I'm at I
rithyll
now and still nothing. What gives?

What? How? Just how is this possible?

My first run through this game took me about 54 hours. I did a lot of co-op and exploring
and yet I still managed to completely miss Smouldering Lake and Archdragon peak

LiK

One per play through. Dem's the breaks. Just save one for NG+. They're pretty easy and short.

Gbraga

About non-humanoid bosses in the series, my favorite boss in all of the Souls games is
Ludwig, the Accursed
(Bloodborne DLC spoilers). I love Kalameet as well, but this guy was something else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom