• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT2| Welcome to NG+, Unkindled One

Status
Not open for further replies.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
how should i level as a pyro/sorcery character? I wanna try a magic build and i know pyro is easier to start with as you level up, what should i prioritize besides faith/int?

mephixto

Banned
Yeah, when i first tried to grind in NG, i got like 3 of those in 20 minutes. Now i have really bad luck. Beating the game 7 times might actually be faster hehe. If not faster, at least more enjoyable i'd say.

I think its just based on being lucky with the drops or not. I've gotten better drop rates earlier on, and i've read that one user here got all of them (30 units) in like 7-8 hours. I really wish that all convenants had items tied to manual summoning instead. That works fine and it would make things so much easier and plesant. If the auto summoning worked more frequently, then it wouldnt be a problem though, but it doesnt, at least not for me :\

I got lots of those after being invaded so much on the whole Ithyrill zone, especially in area with lots of dead giants.

Dimmle

Can someone break down elemental advantages in these games?

I know Dark > Fire and Lightning > Dragon... and Fire > Gooboys...

tariniel

Anyone try a run through the game as dual wield only or no shield? Viable/fun?

My first character was my usual greatsword character but I've never done a no-shield run in these games.

Is it weird I'm already considering my 2nd character when I still haven't beat the game on my first? I'm close though, I think.
At Lothric Castle, and finished Untended Graves.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
that game is a joke.
had it since launch, couldn't get past first boss, was out 10m after and haven't touched it since.
today I picked it up again, discovered that I had firebombs, so use them, died, whatever, new try. are you fucking kidding me? they are gone? no option to reload save either. so I try again and again and always die with 1/5 health left. been going at it for 1:30h
so I then said fuck this, created new character and used magic to cheese him, beat him in no time.
now I can finally enjoy the game, even if it is not the character I wanted.
lol good luck trying to beat the second boss with magic cheese.

go back and learn the sword and shield combat. the game is pretty much designed around it. learn the bosses. that first boss' second form is pretty easy after you figure out his range.

test_account

XP-39C²
I got lots of those after being invaded so much on the whole Ithyrill zone, especially in area with lots of dead giants.
Oh, in that case it should be possible to get more of them frequently, indeed. I thought maybe you got many from farming. I've hardly been invaded myself because at NG i played through that area relatively quickly, same thing in NG+. Its a bit pity that you cant get invaded in an area after beating the boss.

Kazuhira

So,any other way to get seeds of giant trees? besides firelink shrine of course.
That item and the one that prevents estus recovery are a must against invaders.

Dimmle

So,any other way to get seeds of giant trees? besides firelink shrine of course.
That item and the one that prevents estus recovery are a must against invaders.

Undead Hunter Charms are also a must against invadees. :>

But no, no other way. Just that tree.

Balphon

My first character was my usual greatsword character but I've never done a no-shield run in these games.

My only previous experience was with Bloodborne so I found myself not using the shield I started with at all and dropped it. It's worked fine and I think I'm closing in on the end. I use a rapier in my left hand to parry, though (used a parrying dagger for awhile but it seems to have the same parry animation as the rapier so I'm not sure what the point of it is).

Beat P
ontiff
S
ulyvahn
on my fifth or so attempt. That was a fun battle, although I felt he should have had a bit more health. The move set
in the first phase reminded me of False King in Demon's Souls though even more relentless and aggressive. The second phase, in comparison, wad a lot easier I thought. The attacks came out much more slowly, and you could always depend on him to repeat what the shadow version just did, which made him predictable.
Though even if it was a bit on the easy side, it was very fun! I hope I'm not overlevelled. I'm level 55.

mephixto

Banned
Oh, in that case it should be possible to get more of them frequently, indeed. I thought maybe you got many from farming. I've hardly been invaded myself because at NG i played through that area relatively quickly, same thing in NG+. Its a bit pity that you cant get invaded in an area after beating the boss.

Yeah its better get all of those before NG+, too bad I joined the mound-makers so late in the game, now I hate to farm it from the
red eye skeletons on the Ithyrill dungeon
but the drop is rare took me all day yesterday to get 24.

Bollocks

lol good luck trying to beat the second boss with magic cheese.

go back and learn the sword and shield combat. the game is pretty much designed around it. learn the bosses. that first boss' second form is pretty easy after you figure out his range.

well, at least I can level up now, should make it easier albeit more time consuming

Is it weird I'm already considering my 2nd character when I still haven't beat the game on my first? I'm close though, I think.
At Lothric Castle, and finished Untended Graves.

I havent messed with dual wield yet but my first character is always no shield. Actually in DS2 I cant remember the last time I used a shield. It is def viable...I havent looked into if powerstancing is a thing again or not. Dual wielding is fine without it you just have to know your movesets and how to conserve stamina for rollouts. Its just as viable as using a shield.

Also, I just tested last night to see if two handing a str weapon would cut down the requirements? Does it not essentially double your str allowing you to uss heavier weapons in this one?

test_account

XP-39C²
Yeah its better get all of those before NG+, too bad I joined the mound-makers so late in the game, now I hate to farm it from the
red eye skeletons on the Ithyrill dungeon
but the drop is rare took me all day yesterday to get 24.
I have a small hope that FROM will patch in an increased drop rate later on :) Or maybe i'll try my luck in NG++.

Its possible to get the vertebra shackles from simple 1vs1 PVP by the way. Just use the red soap stone in a popular PVP area and you should get summoned fast. I really sucked at PVP in DS1 and DS2 though, but at least it might be faster to do PVP than grinding.

KorrZ

Latest ENB episode OMG im losing my mind.

how many times can you try to run THROUGH something and fail before just going around it! They even put an item on the path around it to lure your attention!

Amirnol

I think I am going to quit my playthrough as a sorcerer. Bosses and enemies in general are just way too quick and aggressive for these slow ass soul arrows, which are also extremely weak. Also forget PVP, how the hell am I suppose to hit another player with a soul arrow? Flash sword is the only viable option and it's weak as crap. Pretty disappointing, I hope they buff sorceries, both speed and power need increases.

silva1991

Holy CRAP!!!!

You can farm TITANITE SLABS!!!!

I'm sure other people knew this, but I just discovered where to get these things just now

The fat golden angels on the roof.

Edit: Damnit, just read that they drop one for beating them!!!!!!!!

It's ok alot of us thought the same at first :p

Armaly

So how do I get to the upper balcony in
that house in Irithyll? I'm talking about the place that has a painting of Gwynevere with a black knight chilling there and then up above opposite him is an archer. How do I get to the archer?

Arjen

Latest ENB episode OMG im losing my mind.

how many times can you try to run THROUGH something and fail before just going around it! They even put an item on the path around it to lure your attention!

Lol, this was driving me absolutely nuts as well

Finnroth

Are shackels no longer drops as of 1.04? I have killed well over 200 of the respective enemy type but didn't get a single one - which seems a little too unlucky.

Edit: Acutally far over 600 by now, I think something is either wrong with my game or they really don't drop anymore.

GulAtiCa

So,anyone tried to farm those covenant items with very high luck?
Collecting Sunlight medals is pretty easy though.
The wolf covenant seems easy enough for me to grind for.

Proofs are annoying to get currently.. I'll wait till NG+ with all luck items and redone luck increased.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
that house in Irithyll? I'm talking about the place that has a painting of Gwynevere with a black knight chilling there and then up above opposite him is an archer. How do I get to the archer?

There are stairs, right there in that room, not even hidden.

Arjen

There are stairs in the building? Go to the left just before the exit

Rocketz

Man people freak out if you roll into them with thorn armor in PVP. They almost always take off running like a chicken with their head cut off.

Khezu

Any opinions on Halberds/glaives?

Can't decide between Black Knight, Gundry, or Red Hilted.

All seem really good for different reasons.

I've been rolling with Gundyr's Halberd+5. It's quite good. The Red-Hilted is really good too, though, as that one has a thrusting attack not present in the movesets of the others. I reinforced both to max.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
should have just made them 10mil souls to buy or something

Should have just done things like DS2. I find myself saying that about a lot of things in this game. Fuck even 1 allowed you to farm slabs, even though it was like farming for concords in 3.

Toxi

Banned
that game is a joke.
had it since launch, couldn't get past first boss, was out 10m after and haven't touched it since.
today I picked it up again, discovered that I had firebombs, so use them, died, whatever, new try. are you fucking kidding me? they are gone? no option to reload save either. so I try again and again and always die with 1/5 health left. been going at it for 1:30h
so I then said fuck this, created new character and used magic to cheese him, beat him in no time.
now I can finally enjoy the game, even if it is not the character I wanted.
You're probably going to actually have a harder time using magic. Magic damage is super low until later levels.

Learn to roll through attacks; in Dark Souls 3 you are invincible for the majority of your roll.

Gundyr's Halberd is a beast PVP weapon. That running 2H R1 is relentless at catching those dodge rollers. Plus, its weapon art has a massive span.

Kazooie

Banned
What armor are people rocking?

Currently using Artorias' armor. Got Ornstein's today but it's too heavy for me to use efficiently.

Some really beautiful sets on this game

Tarkus

Currently using Artorias' armor. Got Ornstein's today but it's too heavy for me to use efficiently.

Silver Knight Helm, Lothric Knight Armor, Alva gauntlets and leggings.

Novocaine

I was rocking Faraam and Harold's for a while but since respec I've gone back to the good old Elite Knight for now. I might drop a few points into equip load and put Faraam back on.

My character is a Sunbro through and through, so naturally:

armor_of_the_sun_set_1.jpg

Though I do switch up the hand and leg armor. Most knight-style gauntlets/legs (Lothric, Exile, etc.) look good with the set.

I'm also missing the shield. Haven't gotten to A
rchdragon
P
eak
yet.

Skatterd

how long did that take

So I left the game on and what I would do is grind the knights until I got a drop, then stopped for an hour but left the game on in the background.
All the while keeping the ring on, invading when I can. Ended up getting 5 from summons.

This took, idk, 9-10 hours in all I guess (over 3 days or so)? 9-10 hours counting the waiting I mean.

I don't think the Luck stat on grinding this out matters as much as people think it does though. I tried with lots of luck and with little luck, seemed to drop at the same rate. I realize it could come down to (lol) luck though.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
My character looks like he hasn't eaten in months, I died before and he didn't have this appearance. What's wrong?

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
absolutely loving this game btw, after playing all the souls and bloodborne I still don't get tired of this formula.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom