• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT2| Welcome to NG+, Unkindled One

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Lamp

Are you sure you fought the right demon? There are several demons, each with their own souls.

Yes, because it was the big fire one, and his transposition choices unlocked, but it says the soul is missing.

Edit: LOL Nvm, I unlocked the fire spell and totally forgot about it. I'm an idiot.

Tingle

Yes, because it was the big fire one, and his transposition choices unlocked, but it says the soul is missing.

Edit: LOL Nvm, I unlocked the fire spell and totally forgot about it. I'm an idiot.

Ah, glad it worked out. Its a pretty strong spell, so it would be a shame to miss out on it.

What about the playtime/length of Demon's Souls compared to Dark Souls / Dark Souls 2? (Thinking in one playthrough, no NG+) I'm thinking of playing it first since I have it for free thanks to PS+ and wait for a Steam sale for Dark Souls III.

It's shorter than Dark 1/2. Maybe shave off 15-20 hours off of your Dark 1 playthrough.

Styles

Yeah, you needed Sif's soul 3 times. It was a problem back then too. People complained because it was a bad idea then, just like it is now.

That's true.

I have personally enjoyed the grind in these games, because it's just fun to experiment with new builds and weapons every time you start a new playthrough.

pa22word

Yeah, you needed Sif's soul 3 times. It was a problem back then too. People complained because it was a bad idea then, just like it is now.
Or you people can stop caring so damn much about a meaningless virtual pat on the back and move on with your lives.

I actually love it when developers have grindy cheevo lists because I know there's going to be that subset of gamers who just think they have to do it, and will end up doing it even though they hate the time they're putting in on the virtual treadmill to do it. The schadenfreude is real my friends. Like watching a real life Skinner box experiment where everyone knows it's a trick but do it anyway.

As for this game though, the ring cheevo is not that bad. Ng+ in this game is a joke anyways, especially if you don't stop leveling. Anyone with a non total shit weapon will blow through the game without much trouble.

Tingle

That's true.

I have personally enjoyed the grind in these games, because it's just fun to experiment with new builds and weapons every time you start a new playthrough.

But if you need to stick to the same file, you are stuck using that same character. At least you could respec in Dark Souls 2 and 3, but I liked Bloodborne's method a lot more. It had a trophy for getting each ending, but no trophy would ever require you to go onto NG+. So if you wanted to do it on one file, you could just go to NG++ to get all three, or you could make 3 different characters.

It was really the best of both worlds, and I saw very few complaints about it.

Or you people can stop caring so damn much about a meaningless virtual pat on the back and move on with your lives.

I actually love it when developers have grindy cheevo lists because I know there's going to be that subset of gamers who just think they have to do it, and will end up doing it even though they hate the time they're putting in on the virtual treadmill to do it. The schadenfreude is real my friends. Like watching a real life Skinner box experiment where everyone knows it's a trick but do it anyway.

As for this game though, the ring cheevo is not that bad. Ng+ in this game is a joke anyways, especially if you don't stop leveling. Anyone with a non total shit weapon will blow through the game without much trouble.

I don't care about trophies, I just think there is a good way and bad way of handling them. If you don't care about them either, fine. I don't think complaining about other people having different preferences form you is worthwhile, though. Like seriously, if people enjoy getting them, let them do their own damn thing.

.Anema

I think my first play through was around 50 hours, that's doing all bosses. Dark Souls was around 65 for me.

How Long to Beat has it at around a similar playtime.
https://howlongtobeat.com/game.php?id=2439

It's shorter than Dark 1/2. Maybe shave off 15-20 hours off of your Dark 1 playthrough.

Just checked my times and I have 48 hours (plus DLC) in DS and 47 hours in DSII (Without DLC), so I should expect something like the same for Demon's Souls I think.
Thank you guys, I'm going for Demons's Souls first, then Dark Souls III. And Bloodborne when the PS4K arrives haha.

Echoplx

Well actually beyond just the achievements if you want to remain competitive in PvP getting the +2 rings will be pretty important.

Dimmle

It almost seems like they went out of their way not to integrate the good ideas from Dark Souls 2. An interesting NG+, bonfire ascetics, power stance... ratbros...

Holy fucking shit, I just beat O
ceiros
. Am I playing Bloodborne all of a sudden?! Dude was like a combination of
Seath
and
Ebrietas
or something. Hype fight, but rather easy.

MilkBeard

J. Kartje is contacting FromSoft to ask if the poise stat doing absolutely nothing is intended or not now. Hopefully we get some sort of news soon

https://twitter.com/JKartje/status/727205465852006400

Will be interesting to hear a response, if anything. Might be a 'brush under the rug' sort of thing. Could be a case of 'we imported DS1 mechanics and turned it off' as well. But the stat still existing is strange, although they completely removed any way to level up poise using levels, which they probably thought was good enough.

2AdEPT

Hey GAF!
I finished Dark Souls like 3 weeks ago and tonight I just finished Dark Souls 2. My body is ready for more Souls so, should I play Dark Souls III or try Demon's Souls?
I don't want to make a LTTP thread, please help me :D!

As much as I would rather have done Demon's first, the multiplayer for 3 is full on crazy now and it is fun to be part of this this thread while it is moving...its fun to share a video or a tip while its still fresh and not as many others have already covered it.....go with what's hot. If you can finish off Demon's quick as an experienced souls player then go for it, but it will always be there to go back to and then you can relax and enjoy your Demon's playthrough without feeling rushed. Right now is when you get the most out of the game, sure you can save a few bucks but the experience is less fun when the hype has cooled off.

MilkBeard

As much as I would rather have done Demon's first, the multiplayer for 3 is full on crazy now and it is fun to be part of this this thread while it is moving...its fun to share a video or a tip while its still fresh and not as many others have already covered it.....go with what's hot. If you can finish off Demon's quick as an experienced souls player then go for it, but it will always be there to go back to and then you can relax and enjoy your Demon's playthrough without feeling rushed. Right now is when you get the most out of the game, sure you can save a few bucks but the experience is less fun when the hype has cooled off.
Yeah, I agree with this. It might be better to strike while the iron is hot and the game is still fresh in the community.

Zomba13

Will be interesting to hear a response, if anything. Might be a 'brush under the rug' sort of thing. Could be a case of 'we imported DS1 mechanics and turned it off' as well. But the stat still existing is strange, although they completely removed any way to level up poise using levels, which they probably thought was good enough.

Seems weird if it was just some leftover stat they turned off and ignored when certain weapons/items increase it.

Definitely seems like some bug or something or it was turned off because it messed with the balance and they forgot to remove references to it on gear.

Anyone got a Murakumo or Carthus Curved Greatsword they are willing to trade? I can offer any ring and almost all armor and weapons. PSN Puggsly.

Alo0oy

Banned
I wanna do a Morne's Greathammer build, not sure if it's worth it or not, I'm having fun with my luck build, but every time I do a new build I keep thinking of the next one lol.

MilkBeard

I have to say, in terms of simply being a spectator for PvP matches, Dark Souls 3 is probably the most fun to watch out of all the Dark Souls games, because the animations simply look better. Dark 1 has decently quick animations, but the nearly broken backstabbing makes the fights appear a bit goofy. Dark 2 has somewhat sluggish animations that seem to take away any sense of impact. Dark 3 has great animations and everything seems to come together well. The only problem they still really need to fix is the phantom range/lag, then it would be ace.

It's not an import stat. If it was, there would be no UI element for it added into the game, armor would not have varying poise values, and there wouldn't be a ring made JUST to increase poise. My best bet is that either poise was scrapped at the last second, and From not wanting to admit they scrapped a system at the last second. Or, they turned it off so they could fine-tune it. From has barely any transparency so the latter is possible.

MilkBeard

It's not an import stat. If it was, there would be no UI element for it added into the game, armor would not have varying poise values, and there wouldn't be a ring made JUST to increase poise. My best bet is that either poise was scrapped at the last second, and From not wanting to admit they scrapped a system at the last second. Or, they turned it off so they could fine-tune it. From has barely any transparency so the latter is possible.

Yeah, in a way like the Lighting fiasco where they seemingly had to scrap it at the last second. Could be the same thing here. I mean, they could still have turned it back on in a patch, although it might appear drastic and create too much commotion if they did. Who knows. I have a feeling we will get a generic response about it.

I just had a dark souls moment

Remember that crocodile/gaping dragon thing on the irythyll bridge. Yeah i skipped him for speedrun..... and then as i went under the bridge to get to the distant manor.....mutha****** jumped me and one shot me....

YUP

MilkBeard

Don't we know that poise still affects unflinching wind-ups and animations? It's not completely ineffectual.

The only thing it affects, I think, is a spell that increases poise.

Even the animation coming out of a roll, which was previously suspected to be affected by poise, was later found out to be affected by equipment weight.

Poise is a complete mystery at this point.

Toxi

Banned
I feel like just turning on armor Poise would trivialize the game just because of how lightweight heavy armor is. You can fast roll with full knight armor without even leveling up.

So any fix to Poise would probably have to come with a general balance tweak for equip load.

Concords farmed.

Thankfully, I only needed 20 because I already had 10 from multiple playthroughs -- and luckily, it only took about 3.5hrs.

I had 465 item discovery with the Mimic hat, Sage rapier, gold serpent ring +2, 60 luck, and hollowed Dark Sword.

Tried farming the skellies for shackels, but they didn't drop anything after 45min. Looks like I'm gonna have to find someone to boost with.

Toxi

Banned
Also, can From please raise the enemy poise values for
the Abyss Watchers
?

There is no reason an awesome boss should have less poise than a fucking axe hollow.

Finished A
rchdragon
P
eak
yesterday.
Beautiful scenery, but maaaaaaaan, fuck those
Lizard men
and their relentless attacks & reach. Uggggh. >(

NK encounter was dope. Loved the
change of scenery
. Jolly cooperated a few times to help out some folks then finished him with a fellow Sunbro.

All in all, since I'm nearing the very end, I can safely say that this is the Souls game I least enjoyed (yes, even compared to DS II).
Can't really put my finger on it, but the sense of discovery and joy just isn't there. Guess I'm Souls-fatigued. The game is beautiful and playing it on a PC with 60fps is really something coming off of PS3, but still... that spark...is gone. ;_;

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Kind of scared of what will happen to my Dex/Faith build after they patch poise. Fast weapons might get FUBAR'd.

Don't we know that poise still affects unflinching wind-ups and animations? It's not completely ineffectual.

Nope. Equipment load effects some hyperarmor, and all weapon arts that "grant poise" are not actually related to poise. People have tested it with Cheat Engine open, and the poise modifier did not get switched on, and existing poise didn't help those buffs at all. They are simply buffs that just make you un-staggerable through the entire duration

I feel like just turning on armor Poise would trivialize the game just because of how lightweight heavy armor is. You can fast roll with full knight armor without even leveling up.

So any fix to Poise would probably have to come with a general balance tweak for equip load.

Well, past games, even small weapons can break poise in 2 hits if you're wearing medium-weight armor. You would need to stack points into vitality to get enough poise to matter for more than 2 hits if we had the same system as in Dark Souls 1. Plus, poise values are much lower now. I think i was only able to reach like 25 poise with my SL120 build, while my Dark Souls 1 SL125 build i'm rocking 82 poise, enough to tank even a 2 Handed UGS.

Kind of scared of what will happen to my Dex/Faith build after they patch poise. Fast weapons might get FUBAR'd.

Most likely it'll be like Dark Souls 2 poise, where it buffs your hyperarmor frames. I can't imagine From NOT tweaking poise.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Goddamn it. I was following a guide and Greirat still died after I defeated Pontiff Sulyvahn. Not going to count on Siegward to save him next time I do a playthrough.

edit: so poise does nothing in this game? I kind of suspected as much. Almost like how armor value seemed to do next to nothing in Dark Souls II. At least armor value works in this game.

Styles

Ew, so I got summoned in for WoF covenant and encountered a host with infinite health.

And I just got summoned to their world again. Ugj.

Meccs

yeah there was something on reddit but dun have a link... they know about it and are working on a fix....

nevermind lol i found it..
https://www.reddit.com/r/darksouls3/comments/4hbbul/update_the_dev_team_is_currently_working_on_new/
f1sXzqu.jpg
This is so generic, it doesn't mean anything. It doesn't even mention what the issue is. Could mean anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom