• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT2| Welcome to NG+, Unkindled One

Status
Not open for further replies.

Defect

Just "spedrun" NG+ and got the Usurp ending today.

Just need to get 5 more gestures, the rest of the sorceries, pyros and whatnot.

I wanna do a Morne's Greathammer build, not sure if it's worth it or not, I'm having fun with my luck build, but every time I do a new build I keep thinking of the next one lol.

Morne's Greathammer battle art is godlike, but the stat requeriment is high. Definetly tons of fun.

Cyborg

Saw few players handling a sword that I dont know the name of: its a longsword I think, the handle is round like this ) I thought he was also glowing, but not sure about that

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
They put a ring behind it. It's bullshit.
Haha. Can't help but find the tears of salty trophy hunters and their self-inflicted misery amusing. Besides you can just summon and gank the boss easily so w/e...

Speaking of TNK, holy shit he was so much easier with my sorceress. Same with the last boss and Champion G, they got utterly wrecked. The
two princes
were still tough though,
Lorian dies very fast to soul spear, but Lothric himself is super resistant to magic; had to kill Lorian like 3-4 times, getting hits on Lothric all the while, and even ran out of magic but luckily he was 1-2 MLGS hits away from dying. Still, not an easy battle.
Maybe pyros would have worked better...

BeeDog

Finished NG and have most items aside from the Covenants (I dread the farming, though I finished the first level of Aldrich). The last boss was nice and the scenery there was amazing. Great game overall, quite close to Bloodborne but BB inches ahead of it thanks to its more focused art and tighter gameplay.

I have a couple of Covenant questions:

- Do your Covenant ranks carry over to NG+(+++...)? I wanna bite off as much as possible while I remain in NG, but I dread the boredom and might just move on, especially for the + rings.
- Is there any particular Covenant that needs to be grinded online, or can all items be found offline?

Finished NG and have most items aside from the Covenants (I dread the farming, though I finished the first level of Aldrich). The last boss was nice and the scenery there was amazing. Great game overall, quite close to Bloodborne but BB inches ahead of it thanks to its more focused art and tighter gameplay.

I have a couple of Covenant questions:

- Do your Covenant ranks carry over to NG+(+++...)? I wanna bite off as much as possible while I remain in NG, but I dread the boredom and might just move on, especially for the + rings.
- Is there any particular Covenant that needs to be grinded online, or can all items be found offline?

- yes, you even keep the items so you don't need to join again.

- All items can be farmed offline, but I strongly recommend online.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Juggling this with Overwatch this week is going to be rough. I'll try to spend more time on DS3 since I've been in the Overwatch beta for months, but man that game can be hard to get away from sometimes.

Toxi

Banned
Well, past games, even small weapons can break poise in 2 hits if you're wearing medium-weight armor. You would need to stack points into vitality to get enough poise to matter for more than 2 hits if we had the same system as in Dark Souls 1. Plus, poise values are much lower now. I think i was only able to reach like 25 poise with my SL120 build, while my Dark Souls 1 SL125 build i'm rocking 82 poise, enough to tank even a 2 Handed UGS.
Oh dang, you're right.

I just had a dark souls moment

Remember that crocodile/gaping dragon thing on the irythyll bridge. Yeah i skipped him for speedrun..... and then as i went under the bridge to get to the distant manor.....mutha****** jumped me and one shot me....

YUP

Lol thats tough. When i did my speedrun i managed to roll like crazy there because my friend got jumped by him. Managed to do it in about 80 or 90 minutes though but that was the section where i was sweating from nervousness.

Guys I have a question regarding progress: I just went to
Consumed King's Garden
and defeated the boss there. So now I have 2 options regarding the next locations I should go:
Lothric Castle
and
Untended Graves
. Without spoiling anything, could you tell me which path I should take first?
Thanks.

BeeDog

- yes, you even keep the items so you don't need to join again.

- All items can be farmed offline, but I strongly recommend online.

Thanks!

Guys I have a question regarding progress: I just went to
Consumed King's Garden
and defeated the boss there. So now I have 2 options regarding the next locations I should go:
Lothric Castle
and
Untended Graves
. Without spoiling anything, could you tell me which path I should take first?
Thanks.

Take
Untended Graves
first. Disconnected from everything else and there's some good loot there.

Why? Those are big rats and if they gank you, well...

They stunlocked you in Bloodborne too.
You didn't wear 50lbs of metal in Bloodborne. ;)

It's just the principle of it: they're among the weakest enemies in the game, and one of them can continuously stunlock you to death even if you're wearing the heaviest armor. Makes no sense.

High poise should at least let you brush off ONE of the weakest attacks in the game.

Anyone try a run through the game as dual wield only or no shield? Viable/fun?

My first character was my usual greatsword character but I've never done a no-shield run in these games.

Is it weird I'm already considering my 2nd character when I still haven't beat the game on my first? I'm close though, I think.
At Lothric Castle, and finished Untended Graves.

I have used the Sellsword Twinblade for 70 hours on my main dude so far. Fucking looove them. Anything with a big shield is still hard for me, but everything else is fun to kill with super quick and aggressive attacks.

I was built for sorcery second, so I could have magic dual blade, but I eventually bumped up faith as well, and brought the pyro hand too. 4 different types of weapon infusions and great heavy soul arrow for when I need some range.

Dual weapons are amazing, highly recommend them.

Long startup that's easily interrupted for shit damage that hits less than a regular r1 and yet it costs FP... :

Hits multiple people easily and attacks in quick succession though.

I use it a lot, and it does me just fine. I usually do it while running into a group of mobs, it's treated me real good.

Edit: never really had issues with damage on my guy either. I felt pretty OP on the damage front for most of the game.

Rottmer

Neo Member
Dark Souls 1 used to have balancing issues where players with full Havel's were able to use the Dark Wood Grain Ring to have the best fast rolling while still benefitting from the poise.
I know that, I just fail to see how that's relevant to Dark Souls 3. The games are completely different. You need a lot of VIT investment to wear Havel's Armor, even with Havel's Ring (+2). You give up too much now if you try to be the guy with heavy armor, fast rolling and casting magic. Its not optimal.
It means DS1 poise can stay dead and we're better off for it. :)

How do you make the weapon arts, ahem, not suck?
Nobody wants DS1 poise, but some kind of poise is necessary in this game. I'm sick of getting staggered by stupid things in this game.

Robiin

I went through all of Smouldering Lake yesterday. Defeated the boss, turned off the ballista, killed Horace and found two undead bone shards. What was the point of the area, did I miss something? I figured it was a callback to demon ruins and Izalith.

And there was lava that I couldn't walk on, will I get a ring or something later?

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
I went through all of Smouldering Lake yesterday. Defeated the boss, turned off the ballista, killed Horace and found two undead bone shards. What was the point of the area, did I miss something? I figured it was a callback to demon ruins and Izalith.

And there was lava that I couldn't walk on, will I get a ring or something later?

You need to suck it up and use flash sweat plus fire resist armor.

Footos22

Concords farmed.

Thankfully, I only needed 20 because I already had 10 from multiple playthroughs -- and luckily, it only took about 3.5hrs.

I had 465 item discovery with the Mimic hat, Sage rapier, gold serpent ring +2, 60 luck, and hollowed Dark Sword.

Tried farming the skellies for shackels, but they didn't drop anything after 45min. Looks like I'm gonna have to find someone to boost with.

I got all 30 shackles in about 3 hours last night just invading in lothric castle.

I haven't seen anyone reference Ash Lake yet, which seems the most obvious call back. I mean arch trees, a SMOULDERING. LAKE, what do embers and things that have been on fire turn in to if not ash?

I'm not a lore hunter, I just play the games and then look up lore shit afterwards, but this one jumped out at me immediately.

re: the lava - I just used flash sweat and Estus chugging to get the treasures. I haven't found a ring, and I doubt there is one since there is so little lava in the game.

Ferr986

Where's that havel ds1 gif when you need it?

Dark+souls+lore+comp+havel+the+rock+havel+the+rock_acb031_5453906.gif

bati

N
ameless
K
ing
down. Never again.

That's what I said at first. And I just beat him again on NG++ :\. Fwiw, bleed builds make very short work of phase two. Dodge first hard swing, get a couple hits in, dodge again, couple more hits, riposte time! Few more swings after that and it's over.

5 more rings from NG++ and I'm done with this game. I don't know if I'll make a new character or not, I'm just not enjoying the pve in this game as much as I did in DS1 and DS2. It probably didn't help that I did NG+ and NG++ (most of it, not done yet) without a shield, it really highlights some of the bullshit in this game.

Toxi

Banned
I haven't seen anyone reference Ash Lake yet, which seems the most obvious call back. I mean arch trees, a SMOULDERING. LAKE, what do embers and things that have been on fire turn in to if not ash?

I'm not a lore hunter, I just play the games and then look up lore shit afterwards, but this one jumped out at me immediately.
Yeah, Smouldering Lake references three areas: Ash Lake, Demon Ruins, and Lost Izalith.

JDB

Banned

re: the lava - I just used flash sweat and Estus chugging to get the treasures. I haven't found a ring, and I doubt there is one since there is so little lava in the game.

Those trees are so tiny though. :/

konjak

Made this GIF after hours of trying to beat this asshole at Soul Level 1. I didn't dare try to learn parries for phase 2 because phase 1 was inconsistent enough for me, but it was the answer all along.

GIFS.gif

Parrying in these games is just one of my favorite and most rewarding mechanics in games.

Made this GIF after hours of trying to beat this asshole at Soul Level 1. I didn't dare try to learn parries for phase 2 because phase 1 was inconsistent enough for me, but it was the answer all along.

Parrying in these games is just one of my favorite and most rewarding mechanics in games.
Kudos on that! I gave up my blind SL1 playthrough by the time I got to Abyss Watchers, and having now got through the whole game on a separate leveled character I can say this is the first Souls game I have no desire to do an SL1 run on! Big props to anyone who can though!

konjak

Kudos on that! I gave up my blind SL1 playthrough by the time I got to Abyss Watchers, and having now got through the whole game on a separate leveled character I can say this is the first Souls game I have no desire to do an SL1 run on! Big props to anyone who can though!

I've never done a SL1 before. Even with Bloodborne being my favorite of the games! Thanks!

Barakov

GIFS.gif

Doubly so when you do it to a boss.

Sanctuary

I'm wondering how this game is going to be viewed by the majority after the paint finally dries. I can't say I didn't get my money's worth out of it, because I definitely did. Although, unless the DLC is goddamn amazing (as in the best they've ever done), I'm not sure if I'm going to care enough to revisit it later on, unlike the first three games. So it's not just series fatigue for me.

Man, the Knight's default armor is a little too good. I have to find something better.

Fallen Knight is just as good. It just trades slashing for striking (which a great many enemies do) and I think piercing (rarer) for improved fire resistance. Plus, it's one of the best looking outfits in the game, and you get it pretty early too.

It means DS1 poise can stay dead and we're better off for it. :)

Do you even know what the problem with poise was in Dark Souls? It wasn't Havel fast rolling; that was a ring issue that got patched. It was people intentionally walking through an attack to backstab. END/VIT were also a combined stat compared to this game where they are not only seperate, but they take a huge investment of levels (even more than Dark Souls 2). Way more than what was required in Dark Souls. Havel Mages were a thing in Dark Souls 2 simply because of the way armor actually made a difference, unlike this game for the most part. Armor is barely above Bloodborne level for protection, and poise does jack shit, which can't be intentional.

PvP in this game right now is a complete joke because of the armor and poise issues. Straight swords and Estocs dominate right now due to how easily you can stagger someone. Parrying isn't the answer either, because that only works against people that just mindlessly mash R1 relentlessly (sometimes, if there's no lag). Even Demon's Souls had better PvP despite not having poise. Even discounting PvP, the way you get staggered in this game is fucking stupid, especially in heavier armors. The rat example was spot on. The game is just broken in that regard, and they forgot this wasn't Bloodborne 2.0, while also forgetting to give the player a quick dodge too along with the regain mechanic.

JDB

Banned

GIFS.gif

I only dared parrying him on his initial attack in my SL1 fight. He's surprisingly manageable in his first phase, though. Getting up close means he misses a lot of his swings.

konjak

I only dared parrying him on his initial attack in my SL1 fight. He's surprisingly manageable in his first phase, though. Getting up close means he misses a lot of his swings.

I can be terrible by dodging too late A LOT, so this was the way I seemed able to do it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom