• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT2| Welcome to NG+, Unkindled One

Status
Not open for further replies.

Audioboxer

I hear a lot of people praising the Cathedral UGS, however I have no idea how you go about finding one. Based on your description, it seems like you have to farm for materials? If you could walk me through the steps it would be a big help. Currently bashing my head against a wall on
The Nameless King
and have seen people take him on with UGS with little issues. My axe which I had equipped throughout pretty much the whole game is no longer cutting it with this bastard.

All enemies who wield a weapon (or like 95% of them anyway) can drop their weapon. Given the name of the Cathedral UGS, there's your clue to where the enemies are that have them ;)

My opinion of this game is dropping fast like a rock in the water. I've reached the boss in Lothric Castle and honestly haven't enjoyed anything since I beat Aldritch. That was a definite high point for me and it's just been downhill ever since.

Irithyll Dungeons were terrible. That area has one redeeming quality...it's quite short. Then Profaned Capital was the smallest, most pointless area in the game. Seriously, 2 buildings, one of which
loops back to the start of the Dungeons, god only knows why because who would want to go back there?
. Then after clearing that area and beating the boss, I was
forced into a cutscenes then another boss fight
, which seems like a bit of a dick move. Whatever, I got through it and pushed on. Next I discovered the Consumed King's Garden, which felt as short and pointless as Profaned Capital had been. Then I found
The Untended Graves
and pulled up hard against the bastard that is Champion Gundyr, aka the worst boss in the game so far by a long shot. Despised fighting him but got it over with and explored
the other Firelink Shrine
hoping for some kind of reward. All I got was
Firekeeper's Eyes
...woo hoo...

To end my rant, I've now made it through the pretty boring, generic Boletarian Pala..sorry, Lothric Castle, and reached the boss...who's another pain in the backside to deal with...great. I honestly can't quite believe how hard the drop in quality has been. Maybe I'm just burnt out. Dunno, it's just very disappointing.

Sorry, needed to get that off my chest.
I didn't understand the shortcut in Profained Capital, it seemed just as long and maybe more dangerous than the non-shortcut path. The area was tiny too, it looked pretty nice from above though, and seeing that idiot's corpse from DS2 made it a pretty sweet easter egg.

Vent away, my opinion of some of the end game bosses and areas was pretty downbeat too. I liked Lothric Castle though, the Boletaria idea of unlocking a further part of the first area I always like. Once I got the hang of his moveset, I thought the
two Princes
boss was pretty great, the armour boss was a terrible idea though, completely pointless fan service in a game already drowning in it.

Kazuhira

I'll start a new character after work,my first char will be used for the dlc so i don't want to go to ng+ yet,i've had a bad experience with "the old hunters" dlc in ng++ lol.
I hope each dlc gives us 3+ new areas at least.

I played through the Cathedral of the Deep with the Greatsword, loved it! It's so cool <3

She had me at
"and I, of course, am also thine". Not only the line itself, but especially the way she says it. SO GOOD
. I have no idea how many times I've listened to this dialogue :')

Can't believe they'll actually include a marriage storyline but won't let us choose her :C

I guess a Lord can't marry for petty reasons like love. Anri is a nice dude, I guess.

Yuria would have been the best, if she actually bowed with you. So keeping that in mind, the Firekeeper is still the best NPC in the game.

Apples_89

All enemies who wield a weapon (or like 95% of them anyway) can drop their weapon. Given the name of the Cathedral UGS, there's your clue to where the enemies are that have them ;)

Forgive me, didn't realize 'UGS' was an abbreviation; not hard to tell this is my first Souls game haha.

Freeman76

Finished first playthrough, 47 Hours sL 80.

Not sure where i would rank it, not that it matters. It is certainly taking the best bits of the series and somewhere lost a bit of charm because of it for me.

Somehow the mystery of the first two games is slightly absent, not sure how to explain it. When i first played DeS i absolutely was glued to it wondering what would happen next.

DS1 took level design to the next...erm..level, and this one mixes it all up in ine pot and doesnt manage to do either of those things for me.

Great game, but the franchise is im danger of over staying its welcome for me, i think i will take a break now and play ng+ when the first dlc is released. The first 2 games stayed in my PS3 months, there is a big difference there. I havent included DS2 as i dont consider it worth comparing, and BB is slightly different (one of my favourites tho)

What is an effective way to get vertebrae shackles from PVP (not 'cheating')? Can I join the covenant, then summon purples and just fight them? Is there a good place to do it early ish game?

artsi

What the shit, I can't change gender even between playthroughs.

I guess I'll play NG again with a female then...

Gbraga

Yuria would have been the best, if she actually bowed with you. So keeping that in mind, the Firekeeper is still the best NPC in the game.

The little dance thing she does is the best!

What is an effective way to get vertebrae shackles from PVP (not 'cheating')? Can I join the covenant, then summon purples and just fight them? Is there a good place to do it early ish game?

Farmed mine leaving red signs in the C
leansing Chapel
bonfire. Instant invasions.

I think you can't get them by summoning other players, you must enter their world. Killing an invader in the host's world also works, even if you're also an invader, so it works really well with fight clubs.

myco666

You don't get Shackles from killing summoned phantoms. Just invade where you want or put you summon sign down.

Audioboxer

Forgive me, didn't realize 'UGS' was an abbreviation; not hard to tell this is my first Souls game haha.

Hah no worries. Yeah UGS is just ultra greatsword. The Cathedral one is easily farmed from Deacon bonfire and running up the stairs. There's a big brute carrying the sword.

The little dance thing she does is the best!

Farmed mine leaving red signs in the C
leansing Chapel
bonfire. Instant invasions.

I think you can't get them by summoning other players, you must enter their world. Killing an invader in the host's world also works, even if you're also an invader, so it works really well with fight clubs.

That sounds like a great point to do it. Thanks.

Gbraga

Hah no worries. Yeah UGS is just ultra greatsword. The Cathedral one is easily farmed from Deacon bonfire and running up the stairs. There's a big brute carrying the sword.

"easily" >_<

I got their entire set twice, three shields, three gauntlets and four maces before it >_<

That sounds like a great point to do it. Thanks.

so i "beat" it last night.

gotta go back and finish out
smoldering lake
and
archdragon peak
still, but beat the main game.

2 questions:
what are the best weapons that i should be dumping all my materials into before NG+?

and is there any way to go back to my completed game after starting NG+?

Audioboxer

"easily" >_<

I got their entire set twice, three shields, three gauntlets and four maces before it >_<

lol yeah drop rates are iffy. Sword dropped near instantly for me. I'm missing the shield and helmet though. Apparently the shield is the worst for drop rate.

psylah

After you beat the game once, I suggest watching a speedrun. Current any% records are at about the 1 hour mark, and that is without glitches.

You can really pick up some quick routes, my favorites skip pretty much all of the
catacombs
and half of the
dungeony prison area

S

Steve.1981

Unconfirmed Member
I think you might be burnt out, to be honest. The quality level feels very consistent to me throughout the game, I'd say it's one of DS3's biggest strengths.

Burn out is a possibility, I admit that. But I'd argue the quality of the levels just drops after Aldritch. Undead Settlement, Crucifixion Woods, Cathedral of The Deep, Irithyll Valley/
Anor Londo
, these were great areas I thought.

I think Dark Souls 3 is caught in a difficult spot where it doesn't have the dense, interlocking world design of DkS, the improved multiplayer and build diversity of DkS2 (this may come with time), or any sort of novelty factor going for it. To take a simple example, the ruined castles and cathedrals in DkS3 are perfectly nice levels, but at this point they feel obligatory rather than inspired.

In theory, building directly on the lore of DkS1 should have injected more drama into the experience, but the core narrative (age of fire, lords of cinder, linking the bonfires, etc.) is still too thin to support that kind of development. For all the changes in proper nouns between DkS1, 2, and 3 (chosen undead, cursed undead, unkindled, lords' souls, thrones, lords of cinder, etc.), the world states do not feel materially different. Nods to the past feel more like easter eggs (some of which I enjoyed very much!) than important elements in the player's story.

Gameplay wise, I think the big missed opportunity here is the covenants. The concept hasn't really expanded from Dark Souls 1. And the execution has regressed since 2.

All that being said, I've had a lot of fun with the game. I'm excited to see what From do with further patches and DLC.

Ferr986

Anyone has even be able to punish estus chug? Even against NPCs, I could hit them the moment they start the animation, and while I interrupt them, the healing goes through.

I really miss having atleast the BB shotgun to punish healing. Here it's annoying, I just take it as a given that we are going to waste all of our estus flasks in a fight.

Last saturday i finished Dark Souls II Scholar of the first Sin and even though i didn't fully finish the DLCs yet, i just couldn't wait any longer to play 3.

So i went to this store in my hometown, sometimes they have these special offers where you trade in two games and buy the brand new one for 25 euros. So i traded in The Elder Scrolls and Zombie Army Trilogy that i barely even played and got me some Souls III.

Hells yeah!

Burn out is a possibility, I admit that. But I'd argue the quality of the levels just drops after Aldritch. Undead Settlement, Crucifixion Woods, Cathedral of The Deep, Irithyll Valley/
Anor Londo
Like I said, I think it's consistent throughout but to each his own. I certainly agree with you that those areas were great, though.

If it makes you feel any better the area after the boss you're currently fighting is quite large and intricate.

Ruuppa

Anyone has even be able to punish estus chug? Even against NPCs, I could hit them the moment they start the animation, and while I interrupt them, the healing goes through.

I really miss having atleast the BB shotgun to punish healing. Here it's annoying, I just take it as a given that we are going to waste all of our estus flasks in a fight.

Punishing a chug is hard these days, since it's faster than it was in previous instalments. In DkS1/2 you could somewhat reliably backstab-punish a chug, but now it's ridiculously hard. You really need to anticipate the foe's chug, and get ready to interrupt the second you see the animation, otherwise the fight is pretty much reset.

Bleed-weapons help a bit, since even if you heal the damage the Bleed-buildup remains and deals a hefty amount of damage on activation.

GulAtiCa

Last night I beat the game! Got the U
surpation of Fire
ending, so I won't have to do that again in NG+/etc. Took me about 70 hours to do so. Was co-oping/invading a lot, so I took my time and enjoyed every minute of it.

Ended up getting all Magic spells too apparently. Looking at the wiki, just missing 1 Pyromancy, one I silly missed. I won't get all Miracles this playthrough though. Obviously missing the Blade of the Darkmoon one, but messed up the questline with the Miracle lady, so that will be fixed in NG+

I still have one area left and at least 1 or 2 bosses left. So got to do that as well as make sure I got all stuff I can currently get before heading into NG+

Kazuhira

I absolutely love this game,on par with ds1 and the level design of each area is so damn good but too much bonfires.
You kill a boss and you get a bonfire then you enter a new area and you have another one,c'mon man...i really don't want more bonfire warp from the start for ds4.
They need to break the mold and create new stuff from scratch in every way,how bonfires work,covenants,npcs(level up waifu/crestfallen are a tradition but it's always the same by now),add new stats,no more age of fire/dark cycles,hollows etc.
Glad to know that miyazaki thinks the same and the next game will be the turning point.
The definition of a interconnected world is very subjetive in this case,is a shortcut from a late area to the beginning of the game what you call interconnected? freedom to choose your path from the beginning and fight any boss you want from the get-go? or a coherent world? you can clearly see every area of the game from the high wall of lotric.
I would say that ds3 does at least 2 of these things pretty well,it's definitely a little more linear than previous games when it comes to bosses and your only branching path is when you can choose between
aldrich or yorm
(no including optional bosses) but i've never felt that linearity.

I like hybrid builds, just got the game. Been googling everywhere and cant find anything on melee-magic/miracle hybrid builds. Does anyone have anything viable?

Any class recommendations for someone who will start with the game for the first time? For my DSII playthrough i went with a sorcerer that i eventually completely changed into a hybrid of two handed (Zweihander) with bow and pyromancy.

Tingle

I absolutely love this game,on par with ds1 and the level design of each area is so damn good but too much bonfires.
You kill a boss and you get a bonfire then you enter a new area and you have another one,c'mon man...i really don't want more bonfire warp from the start for ds4.
They need to break the mold and create new stuff from scratch in every way,how bonfires work,covenants,npcs(level up waifu/crestfallen are a tradition but it's always the same by now),add new stats,no more age of fire/dark cycles,hollows etc.
Glad to know that miyazaki thinks the same and the next game will be the turning point.
The definition of a interconnected world is very subjetive in this case,is a shortcut from a late area to the beginning of the game what you call interconnected? freedom to choose your path from the beginning and fight any boss you want from the get-go? or a coherent world? you can clearly see every area of the game from the high wall of lotric.
I would say that ds3 does at least 2 of these things pretty well,it's definitely a little more linear than previous games when it comes to bosses and your only branching path is when you can choose between
aldrich or yorm
(no including optional bosses) but i've never felt that linearity.

I agree the game was way too linear, but you can also fight
the Dancer at the start if you kill Emma, and go down the entire Lothric Castle pathway.

Soulhouf

Punish with Lloyd Talisman. Very effective.

lawtowler

Loving this game so far, can't believe I didn't play a "Souls" game until Bloodborne. My pyro is currently level 58 and about to take down
Yhorm
. Been taking it really slow, putting an hour or two in when I get the chance.
I'm already excited about starting a new game as a Knight and going full STR/VGR. Pyro has been really fun so far but I want to be able to wield massive weapons. The
FUGS
looks rather tasty in particular!

Ferr986

Punishing a chug is hard these days, since it's faster than it was in previous instalments. In DkS1/2 you could somewhat reliably backstab-punish a chug, but now it's ridiculously hard. You really need to anticipate the foe's chug, and get ready to interrupt the second you see the animation, otherwise the fight is pretty much reset.

Bleed-weapons help a bit, since even if you heal the damage the Bleed-buildup remains and deals a hefty amount of damage on activation.

I swear sometimes I did hit them at the start of the animation and it still goes. But yeah I think I should do a bleed build.

Punish with Lloyd Talisman. Very effective.

Yeah but it's not to hard to avoid IMO unless you're caugh offguard wiith something (another dude/mob).

Anor Londo

basically everything after the pontiff to me just felt "less good". idk how else to describe it. walking into new areas was super interesting and then got, idk, samey? less interesting?

After beating the game and starting immediately again to do a different build, my impressions of this game are super high. While it has some definite issues, such as obtuseness of NPC quest chains, the poise issue, viability of various weapon builds, very little NPC changes in dialogue and super connection issues/multiplayer/people not rating my SUPER helpful and hilarious messages high enough, I may rank this up there with 1 and Bloodborne. I just had such a blast playing it and was ooo'd and aww'd and had some great fights and rarely was ever disappointed or let down or felt frustrated or anything. It was just such a fucking good game and I honestly believe the level design to be the most consistently good and well designed in the series when it comes to open areas with lots of ways to go that all eventually leads you back to where you should be.

We'll see how the DLC adds to it but it's definitely up there. Hard to say where until it settles and the DLC is out but considering DS1 and Bloodborne are tied for my favorites/best this is real damn close. For completion's sake, Demon's follows those two and Dark Souls 2 is last, in the sense that last is still "a really good game"

ElFly

I think Dark Souls 3 is caught in a difficult spot where it doesn't have the dense, interlocking world design of DkS, the improved multiplayer and build diversity of DkS2 (this may come with time), or any sort of novelty factor going for it. To take a simple example, the ruined castles and cathedrals in DkS3 are perfectly nice levels, but at this point they feel obligatory rather than inspired.

In theory, building directly on the lore of DkS1 should have injected more drama into the experience, but the core narrative (age of fire, lords of cinder, linking the bonfires, etc.) is still too thin to support that kind of development. For all the changes in proper nouns between DkS1, 2, and 3 (chosen undead, cursed undead, unkindled, lords' souls, thrones, lords of cinder, etc.), the world states do not feel materially different. Nods to the past feel more like easter eggs (some of which I enjoyed very much!) than important elements in the player's story.

Gameplay wise, I think the big missed opportunity here is the covenants. The concept hasn't really expanded from Dark Souls 1. And the execution has regressed since 2.

All that being said, I've had a lot of fun with the game. I'm excited to see what From do with further patches and DLC.

I think we may have played too much Souls for our own good, so now we clearly see the man behind the curtain. Gotta agree that stuff like the cathedral feels by the numbers, but if you think back to DS1, the undead parish barely only served the purpose of having a bell.

We ignored the paper thin depth of the lore in certain areas in past games (Demon is the one that stands as the best here, maybe because it is the shortest game and thus each area was filled with lore), but after five games it is starting to get grating; even Bloodborne suffered from this, with Cainhurst feeling like a misplaced Souls castle, and now DS3 suffers too.

Something else that it lacked was any impressive dramatic moment for the plot; Demon had the Maiden and the mutated king allant at the end, Dark 1 had the reveal info dumps by the serpents and Solaire, Dark 2 had finding Vendrick hollowed, Bloodborne had killing Rom and the dreams, and getting 40 insight, but I struggle to think of anything in the plot of DS3 that made an impression on me. The closest are
the hollow wedding and Anor Londo
but they feel empty and purposeless to me. Next to that is
the big eclipse and the angels, but those are nearly empty symbols; obviously the eclipse is a big dark mark...but so what. And the angels...well they are flying around. There's no much for the player there, even if you want to argue that the player should figure it out by himself...what is there to figure out?
. The plot is fun and all but it lacked a certain emotional punch to it.

The level design is some of the best in the series, only second to Dark 1, topologically speaking; most of the areas had hella shortcuts, intricate layouts, traps, falls, etc. But the motivation for going there was...lacking. You explore a zombie town, then a cathedral, then a poison lake -probably the laziest obligatory area in the game- then some catacombs. Irithyll is refreshing and I actually really like the Profaned Capital....and then you are back in the quintessential castle.

Kazuhira

basically everything after the pontiff to me just felt "less good". idk how else to describe it. walking into new areas was super interesting and then got, idk, samey? less interesting?

I think the only area i've felt dissapointed was
the profaned capital,it's a great area but too damm short unless you include irythrill(whatever) dungeon as part of the same map.

Does it stop the chug they're currently doing?

No, and it's not "very effective". It does work decently with NPCs, but that's because of how stupid the AI is. Any halfway decent player will just roll away from it, and you can i-fram through it, and the radius on it is very slow, so it's effectively useless in pvp. The only exception is after a parry / backstab, or if you are using a large weapon that actually staggers the player to the ground. When they are on the ground, you can reliably immediately toss the Lloyd's at them. Other than that, it's a very low likelihood you will miss them, and a very high likelihood that you will get punished for attempting to throw one at them.

Estus is near impossible to punish. The best weapons to punish it with are straight swords and thrusting swords, hence part of the reason why they are so popular. When the person starts running away just follow them, and when they stop to estus, r1 them. If they roll, there's a certain point in the roll that often catches them with a straight sword. However, roll is so powerful that it's very likely they will still get away, and if they get even a little bit of distance on you, they'll be able to estus safely.

Edit: I think technically it would stop the chug if you hit them just as the animation is beginning. But the problem is that the windup animation of the estus throw is so long that unless you are talking about some very rare occurrence, you will not ever be able to hit them before they actually are midway through their animation, at which time it will be useless.

GulAtiCa

Looking back, I really love Dark Souls 3. Except for one small optional area, D
emon Ruins
, there hasn't been a single area I disliked or was annoyed at. Loved Dark Souls 3 and put in like 500 hours at very least, but I dreaded going through like 1/3 of the game.

jonjonaug

so i "beat" it last night.

gotta go back and finish out
smoldering lake
and
archdragon peak
still, but beat the main game.

2 questions:
what are the best weapons that i should be dumping all my materials into before NG+?

and is there any way to go back to my completed game after starting NG+?
1. Whatever you like to use. I use the Large Club, but judging from other players I'm the only one that does. It works great for me though.

2. No

Question

So Im at the T
win
P
rinces
area and I see alot of summon signs, but when I place my sign down, all of the signs disappear.

Then, when I cancel my sign, all of the signs reappear. Do you guys know why this is happening?

Santiako

Question

So Im at the T
win
P
rinces
area and I see alot of summon signs, but when I place my sign down, all of the signs disappear.

Then, when I cancel my sign, all of the signs reappear. Do you guys know why this is happening?

You can't see other signs while your is on the floor.

J-Rod

I've spent more time co-oping than playing the main game (usually in alderitch's faithful turf), and everyone always emotes for
the dead giant blacksmith

Lorcain

Any opinions on Halberds/glaives?

Can't decide between Black Knight, Gundry, or Red Hilted.

All seem really good for different reasons.
The Red Hilted Halberd served me well from the Undead Settlement to the final boss fight. I would describe it as a swiss army knife of DS3 weapons, the moveset is versatile and punishing in pvp and pve. It mixes good thrusting and slashing attacks with a longer reach weapon. I also found that most players in pvp don't know how to counter it, especially when using Perseverance as kind of free parry to setup counter-attacks or backstabs.

• The R1 attack is a long reaching, fast thrust, like a spear. It's great for moving and poking on bosses, and for punishing aggressive players in pvp. Stamina consumption is low.
  • The 1H R2 is a wide horizontal swing which hits multiple enemies in pve, and can punish rollers in pvp.
  • The 2H R2 is a spin move that can hit multiple times if something is inside the wide hit area.
  • And if all of that isn't enough, the L2 weapon art is Perseverance. Use it like you would time a parry in pve and pvp, and the enemy attack will go right through you for significantly reduced damage, and then punish them with R2 or a backstab. This weapon art seems to really confuse people in pvp.

The weapon's scaling is versatile too. It has a C/C scaling (Refined) for a balanced/quality build (with 400+ AR at +10), it has B strength scaling (Heavy), and it also has A and B scaling for Int and Faith builds. It's a great option for most builds.

The Red-Hilted Halberd is complimented well by a close range brawler type of weapon. I used the Drang Hammers and the Dark Sword. Any blunt weapon is a good compliment and will make the C
atacombs
a much better experience.

That concludes my love letter to the Red Hilted Halberd.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom