• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT2| Welcome to NG+, Unkindled One

Status
Not open for further replies.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
What, no
Dancer
? I actually forgot about that boss earlier in the thread when I said AW was the hardest boss for me at 5 tries, and then I remembered that this boss took me like 11... The
odd way she moves threw me off big-time which reminded me of ludwig even if she was nowhere near that bad.

For me it was:

Dancer
Abyss Walkers
Nameless King

In that order. Everything else was 1-3 tries.
Nope, she never gave me trouble. My mage absolutely laughed at her (it's funny how crappy mages are at first, and how OP they are later). My dex had some close calls but still no major issues, first try both times.

Was Abyss Watchers one of the bosses that was on the harder side?

I just got it on my second try. :p
They were for me. I fought them before going into the Cathedral at all, though. I wonder if that changed things...

Have to say it works flawlessly for me and my buddy. Are you using the password system?

Yep, we always use a password lol hmm, it works randomly for us. Sometimes itll work without a hitch, other times itll take 10 tries lol oh well, games too fun to be that butthurt

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Nope, she never gave me trouble. My mage absolutely laughed at her (it's funny how crappy mages are at first, and how OP they are later). My dex had some close calls but still no major issues, first try both times.

There was a post a few weeks back, that was basically saying that the big optional boss of the game would be near impossible for pure casters.

(Major endgame optional boss spoiler) I don't think so.

Momentary

Banned
Man am I banned and just don't know it? Isn't there some kind of message that I would see on the start up of my game?

I see no signs to summon on the ground, I see nothing.

I'm also level 203. Is that why?

I do see messages and blood spots on the ground like it's cool and phantoms running around.

TitusTroy

Soul of Cinder's
2nd phase is tricky...his grab move looks the same as his normal sword swing move so it's hard to time it...when he does those backflips does that mean he's vulnerable and is trying to heal?...am I supposed to attack as soon as he finished his backflips?

Well, just finished the game. 50 hrs locked. Thoughts below:

Did 2/3 endings (thanks GameSaveManager!) since I don't have ~480000 souls required to purge the sigils to get the Link the Fire ending.
Rather underwhelming end, IMHO. Well, the whole game really, tbh. Now I fell kinda bad. :(
Don't know what it is exactly, can't put my finger on it, but as a die hard Soulsborne fan, this was the game I least enjoyed out of all of them. Franchise fatigue would be my primary reason.
Nothing felt new and fresh. All the callbacks to previous games were nice but not enough to interest me beyond "OK, let's get this over with". Game is gorgeous and amazing (tech wise especially, since I'm coming from DeS/DS1/DS2 on PS3 to DS3 on PC).
Last boss was basically an amalgam of all the previous Lords + Gwyn himself? Lorewise cool, I guess, but gameplay wise incredibly tedious. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Hated the final battle. Almost managed to kill him on my own (rolling & 2H-ing my Heavy Dark Sword +10) but of course he KO'd me at his 10% health. Uggghhhh. >(
After that I jolly cooperated. \o/
Ehhhh, it is what it is. Bought the Deluxe edition so I'll wait out for the DLCs. Will probably do a NG+ run before that.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Well, just finished the game. 50 hrs locked. Thoughts below:

Did 2/3 endings (thanks GameSaveManager!) since I don't have ~480000 souls required to purge the sigils to get the Link the Fire ending.
Rather underwhelming end, IMHO. Well, the whole game really, tbh. Now I fell kinda bad. :(
Don't know what it is exactly, can't put my finger on it, but as a die hard Soulsborne fan, this was the game I least enjoyed out of all of them. Franchise fatigue would be my primary reason.
Nothing felt new and fresh. All the callbacks to previous games were nice but not enough to interest me beyond "OK, let's get this over with". Game is gorgeous and amazing (tech wise especially, since I'm coming from DeS/DS1/DS2 on PS3 to DS3 on PC).
Last boss was basically an amalgam of all the previous Lords + Gwyn himself? Lorewise cool, I guess, but gameplay wise incredibly tedious. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Hated the final battle. Almost managed to kill him on my own (rolling & 2H-ing my Heavy Dark Sword +10) but of course he KO'd me at his 10% health. Uggghhhh. >(
After that I jolly cooperated. \o/
Ehhhh, it is what it is. Bought the Deluxe edition so I'll wait out for the DLCs. Will probably do a NG+ run before that.

I wouldn't feel bad about it. I'd say that 2/3rds (random approximation, based on what I've seen) of players are very sour on the experience. It's kind of cool, because now there's a new "worst" Souls game so DSII can catch a breather.

I feel lucky because it's my favorite other than Bloodborne. :)

TitusTroy

I wouldn't feel bad about it. I'd say that 2/3rds (random approximation, based on what I've seen) of players are very sour on the experience. It's kind of cool, because now there's a new "worst" Souls game so DSII can catch a breather.

I feel lucky because it's my favorite other than Bloodborne. :)

not close to what I'm hearing and seeing...most people love DS3 and consider it the best in the series or close to DS1...don't know where you're seeing that most people consider it the worst

Noobcraft

I'm surprised people think the dancer is hard. Maybe I got lucky but I beat it on my 2nd try (1st try with full estus). I died more to the sage.

UrbanRats

Man am I banned and just don't know it? Isn't there some kind of message that I would see on the start up of my game?

I see no signs to summon on the ground, I see nothing.

I'm also level 203. Is that why?

I do see messages and blood spots on the ground like it's cool and phantoms running around.
Man I finished the game and I'm 82.
You should go ng++ at least.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
not close to what I'm hearing and seeing...most people love DS3 and consider it the best in the series or close to DS1...don't know where you're seeing that most people consider it the worst

People keep saying that, but I just don't see it. I post on GameFAQs ( Judge me, I know) and the board is extremely negative over the game. There was a ranking thread here, and most gaffers ranked DSIII last or second to last.

I don't see the love other people see. There's barely any positivity compared to Bloodborne, or Dark Souls II's launches.

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills here. There's not even a honeymoon period this time around. The Souls community at large, seemingly either dislikes Dark Souls III, or tolerates it, like some people did to DSII.

It definitely seems to be the case on GAF.

You are the living proof I am not insane. Thank you.

Manu

Yeah, it baffles me too. I finished the game and loved it, thought it could end up being my favorite Souls, and will be even better with DLC.

Then I came to GAF to read other opinions and...

awc8K.gif

I swear getting these skeletons to collapse this bridge is the most annoying part of this game. Is there some trick? I can do it about a third of the time. Otherwise they all just come across and massacre me.

I've tried he the path above and around the back of the bridge. That doesn't work either.

Keinu

I swear getting these skeletons to collapse this bridge is the most annoying part of this game. Is there some trick? I can do it about a third of the time. Otherwise they all just come across and massacre me.

I've tried he the path above and around the back of the bridge. That doesn't work either.

Eh, you can collapse it yourself. Just hit the ropes once you cross it.

Momentary

Banned
Man... so I accidentally leveled myself out of PVP range. I was wondering why I gradually went from seeing lots of signs to no signs and now I can't even get any invasions on myself or invade other people. There is no way in hell that I'm going to start another character.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Yeah, it baffles me too. I finished the game and loved it, thought it could end up being my favorite Souls, and will be even better with DLC.

Then I came to GAF to read other opinions and...

Oh I don't judge people's opinions. I am aware that I have weird videogame tastes haha (Friday the 13th NES is an incredible game IMO!). But it's a bit weird seeing people tiptoeing about the fact that they dislike DSIII while I'd say more that 50% of the fanbase does in some way.

Dark Souls II is more precious to the fans. And I'm glad there's this "It doesn't suck as much as Dark Souls III" movement going on. That's awesome since I love that game. But I just don't get it personally, is all.

Tarkus

Man... so I accidentally leveled myself out of PVP range. I was wondering why I gradually went from seeing lots of signs to no signs and now I can't even get any invasions on myself or invade other people. There is no way in hell that I'm going to start another character.
Yeah, by about 100 SLs.

Manu

Oh I don't judge people's opinions. I am aware that I have weird videogame tastes haha (Friday the 13th NES is an incredible game IMO!). But it's a bit weird seeing people tiptoeing about the fact that they dislike DSIII while I'd say more that 50% of the fanbase does in some way.

Dark Souls II is more precious to the fans. And I'm glad there's this "It doesn't suck as much as Dark Souls III" movement going on. That's awesome since I love that game. But I just don't get it personally, is all.

I think we all expected people disliking the game. But reactions being mostly negative? I know I didn't.

Santiako

You overleveled yourself by like a 100 levels. The PVP usually tops at 120 or so.

If you're on pc you could use cheat engine to correct the difference. Just make sure your stats aren't impossible or it will trigger a soft ban. It might be best to do it with a family sharing account first.

tskeeve

My playthrough of DS3 has definitely made me appreciate DS2 more. But even though I'm a bit disappointed in DS3, I still think it's the far better game.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
I think we all expected people disliking the game. But reactions being mostly negative? I know I didn't.

I didn't expect any dislike TBH. I mean it was Miyazaki's big return to the franchise, after stepping out from DSII. And it followed Bloodborne, perhaps the most beloved game of their repertoire.

I don't think anyone could expect how badly fans received the game.

gaugebozo

Edit: Just to say, I find it absolutely mind-boggling that people are saying Champion Gundyr is easy. I know, these things are always relative but still, that guy is fucking relentless, hits like a damn truck and can punish pretty much any tactic. How is he easy, for any build? I'm at a loss.

I have a longsword/pyro build, and I find it exactly the opposite. He isn't relentless, there are pauses. He really telegraphs his moves. I would have killed him the first time if it wasn't for my crying baby. I probably have died 20 times because of my little darling. One time I watched as an invader came up, paused like, "What the fuck?" Did the welcome feature, and backstabbed me to death. Git gud, kiddo.

MilkBeard

People keep saying that, but I just don't see it. I post on GameFAQs ( Judge me, I know) and the board is extremely negative over the game. There was a ranking thread here, and most gaffers ranked DSIII last or second to last.

I don't see the love other people see. There's barely any positivity compared to Bloodborne, or Dark Souls II's launches.

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills here. There's not even a honeymoon period this time around. The Souls community at large, seemingly either dislikes Dark Souls III, or tolerates it, like some people did to DSII.

Dark Souls 3 at or near the top of Souls for me. Last time I checked the ranking thread, most of the posts had Dark Souls 3 somewhere in the top half of the games. I haven't checked lately, though. It could vary from page to page.

I've sunk around 140 hours into Dark Souls 3, and right now I'm taking a little bit of a break because some other things in my life need attention, lol. I was straight addicted for the first two weeks. I'm waiting for that DLC. In the meantime, I'm going to start playing through Dark Souls 2 because I never ended up finishing it (got near the end, though).

As far as I'm concerned, there are weird backlashes to games, and we are in a period where a lot of people are starting to praise Dark Souls 2 heavily, almost in a reactionary way to the initial controversies over the lighting and 'B team' stuff. Also of course, after all the DLC has come out and the game had been properly balanced. Once Dark Souls 3 has all DLC released and all balances have been made, then we can talk about comparing it on level ground. Right now we are at the experience equivalent to early DS2 era, when hackers were having a field day with the PC version (it was far worse then). That didn't really affect the overall game afterward, so it would have been too early to judge the game at that point.

For me, though, the initial experience of Dark Souls 3 was as high or higher than the first game. The combat is very fluid, PvP actually interests me this time around despite lag, and the visual design and overall balance I enjoy more. I just want more of the game. More areas, more gear.

Dark Souls 3 has "The Force Awakens" effect going for it, is the best way I can describe it. The over-reliance on callbacks is kind of annoying, but the actual product is well done anyway.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain

Wait, when you respec can't you just respec to a lower level? Or do you need to match your previous Soul level to get out of the screen? If you can't respec to a lower level....damn that would be bad.

I have died like, 20 times trying to get this fucking crab into the ruins past the ballista.

You're testing my patience, TCC (but not really, you're too cute to stay mad at)

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Wait, when you respec can't you just respec to a lower level? Or do you need to match your previous Soul level to get out of the screen. If you can't respec to a lower level....damn that would be bad.
You couldn't de-level in DS2 either. And you couldn't even re-spec anything in DS1. Demon's Souls was the only game you could actually de-level (and even then you couldn't ever lower your VIT).

I don't see the problem.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
You couldn't de-level in DS2 either. And you couldn't even re-spec anything in DS1. Demon's Souls was the only game you could actually de-level (and even then you couldn't ever lower your VIT).

I don't see the problem.

I thought they would have fixed that, since it's way harder to respec now. Damn what a failure. MIYAZAKIIIIIIIIIIII!

Nekrono

Just beat N
ameless
K
ing
, first boss I had to seek help from other phantoms but fuck this guy really, wasn't planning on spending 3 hours trying to beat him like A
byss
W
atchers
, gotta beat the game!

MilkBeard

I thought they would have fixed that, since it's way harder to respec now. Damn what a failure. MIYAZAKIIIIIIIIIIII!

Lol. At the beginning of DS2 era, people were criticizing that respecc'ing made the game too easy or more casual. Now we have people mad that it's not as easy to do as before.

I honestly don't care about respec. It falls in this weird meta of the games that i just don't care about. I use one character and build it up the way I want. If I want to do another, I will build it from the ground up. You can't respec in most RPGs so I don't know why it's such a focal point here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom