• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT2| Welcome to NG+, Unkindled One

Status
Not open for further replies.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Lol. At the beginning of DS2 era, people were criticizing that respecc'ing made the game too easy or more casual. Now we have people mad that it's not as easy to do as before.

I honestly don't care about respec. It falls in this weird meta of the games that i just don't care about. I use one character and build it up the way I want. If I want to do another, I will build it from the ground up. You can't respec in most RPGs so I don't know why it's such a focal point here.

Min/maxing is super important here since your level affects who you can play with either in coop or pvp. And since builds are a precise science PLUS there's no community decided level cap, it's very easy to mess up a character permanently.

Limited respecs still mean that every choice you make is important IMO. Allowing respec to a lower level would still force the player to sacrifice potentially hundreds of thousands of souls.

Was Abyss Watchers one of the bosses that was on the harder side?

I just got it on my second try. :p

i had a rough time w them! it took me a few nights. the 2nd form was really a struggle until i learned when/where to dodge to escape the fire trails.

currently getting shredded by the Pontiff Knights in the winter wonderland. this place is really beautiful. feel like this game looks way better in person than it does on video!

Lol. At the beginning of DS2 era, people were criticizing that respecc'ing made the game too easy or more casual. Now we have people mad that it's not as easy to do as before.

I honestly don't care about respec. It falls in this weird meta of the games that i just don't care about. I use one character and build it up the way I want. If I want to do another, I will build it from the ground up. You can't respec in most RPGs so I don't know why it's such a focal point here.

Because PvPers like to change their build on a dime to experiment.

I am personally not a fan of respeccing and don't plan to do it unless I absolutely have to, I find it more fun to plan out a build ahead of time and see the differences a new build makes in a fresh playthrough. It's why I was still able to be excited about making a new character in Bloodborne even though that game is heavily panned for its lack of build variety.

Can someone help me come up with a build for the Astora Greatsword? I am level 53 and just rerolled.

Not sure how much points I should put into int/faith.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk

This. It's a nice little feature but otherwise completely irrelevant to me.

If you min-max for PvP, then plan your build in advance better. (shrugs)

Holy shit the demon in the catacombs is kicking my ass when I killed him in one try onmy first dude. I've died like 20 times.

Have you tried making him the mimic chest and the skrllies fight? They make short work of each other. You can always lure him up the stairs and hit him a couple times and repeat as well

I've noticed that some riposte animations and damage are different from each other. One's just a stab while the other one does more significant damage.

what's a good weapons for pyromancer build ? I kinda really like Raw Astora Straight Sword. I wonder when I should gem it to scale with magic level...

Mindlog

I've been slowly making progress, but nearing the end of the game (I believe) with my Zwei. Tried out a few other weapons that were OK. Then I found out I could become Artorias. So I fully upgraded that. Time to take it to the next boss on my plate.

usp84

People keep saying that, but I just don't see it. I post on GameFAQs ( Judge me, I know) and the board is extremely negative over the game. There was a ranking thread here, and most gaffers ranked DSIII last or second to last.

I don't see the love other people see. There's barely any positivity compared to Bloodborne, or Dark Souls II's launches.

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills here. There's not even a honeymoon period this time around. The Souls community at large, seemingly either dislikes Dark Souls III, or tolerates it, like some people did to DSII.

You are the living proof I am not insane. Thank you.

Oh it is you again... So i guess every few days you are gonna come in here and start the same story about people saying that dark souls 3 is the "worst" in the series right? Do you enjoy this talk or something? Its just weird.

I am not seeing how "most people" consider the game to be the worst or worse than dark souls 2.Like i told you last time(and probably will again in a few days lol) you are paying way too much attention to some peoples comments.

See you in a few days i guess ;)

It depends on how deep you want to go in on building different characters. It's fine to create a new one if you only want to run a few builds, but when you want to experiment with a bunch of different setups then you're talking about sinking a ton of time into running NG over again to put one together. I probably had 15 or so SL100 characters in DS. In DS2 I had like 4 or 5 archetypes that I could just respec when I wanted to try something new.

gaugebozo

latest

I know, not a crab, but still.
cjtD6rV.gif

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Oh it is you again... So i guess every few days you are gonna come in here and start the same story about people saying that dark souls 3 is the "worst" in the series right? Do you enjoy this talk or something? Its just weird.

I am not seeing how "most people" consider the game to be the worst or worse than dark souls 2.Like i told you last time(and probably will again in a few days lol) you are paying way too much attention to some peoples comments.

I'd say at this point that it's a fact that most gaffers don't like DSIII or found it disappointing at best.

Me and Manu can bring up threads where people mostly dislike DSIII. How many can you bring where you can see love? Because I don't see it, either on here or on GameFAQs or anywhere else. DSIII is not a very well liked game, from what I can see. Sure it has a high MC score, but since when has that reflected the fans opinion?

This'll be my last post on DSIII's reaction on here, because I don't want to derail the thread any further. Feel free to PM me if you want to debate.

thefil

Very slowly playing through as a Pyromancer (the only build I never did in a previous game) after chewing through NG and NG+ with my butcher's cleaver.

Maybe it's because I'm mostly not exploring and just bee-lining for the stuff I want, so I'm only level 35ish after Wolnir, but damn is it more of a struggle! Casting is super slow and it's very difficult to find an opening in which you have time to attack. At least now that I did
Demon Ruins
I had enough Large Titanite to get to a +5 glove and have Great Chaos Fire Orb which seems to do decent damage.

Looking forward to getting to the good bosses now for sure though. Can anyone recommend some bread and butter pyromancies? I have all the tomes, but I haven't been to
the prison
yet.

*edit* Not sure if this counts, but both Metacritic and Steam have higher user scores for Dark Souls III compared to Dark Souls II, though both games are quite positive. My sense has been fans prefer III on the whole.

p3n

Mindless button mashing through dialogues and messed up the one I need to answer "NO" for my last gesture. Well, maybe in NG+6...

Arjen

Oh God, just had the most scary moment. Mid game spoiler
I was Co oping with my friend, we got to Irithyll, I said, ignore the big dog crocodile if you want because you can't summon me there, so he did. Soo a bit later in the level we were going to the water to meet siegbro, and we here this big fucking growling noise. Wtf is that? We continue, and that crocodile dog jump of the bridge in the water with us, scared the shit out of me

DSIII is not a very well liked game, from what I can see. Sure it has a high MC score, but since when has that reflected the fans opinion?

i really love this game. i was a fan of DS1 and DS2 and SOTFS. i still think Dark Souls 1 was the most unique experience but this is so far hands down the best Souls game just graphics gampelay level design bosses all of it is consistently really good

Lol...Gamefaqs. If we did a poll like there was sometime after Ds2s release and included Dark Souls 3, Ds2 would be at the end overall again.

People dont dislike Ds3. Most would agree its the most mechanically competent and consistently good in the series.

My guess is overall it would go Ds1>Bloodborne>=Ds3>Ds2>Demons overall.

The only complaints about the game come from PvPers who cant get over the fact that Hyper Armor is in the game instead of Poise. And the ones who feel the callbacks to previous games are too on the nose or frequent(which I cant really disagree with).

krioto

Beat N
ameless
K
ing
last night solo - I tried summoning beforehand- got continuous unable to summon message.

I put my sign down, and helped 6 guys in a row beat him before just thinking - 'I can beat this guy without help' - was awesome fight.

usp84

I'd say at this point that it's a fact that most gaffers don't like DSIII or found it disappointing at best.

Me and Manu can bring up threads where people mostly dislike DSIII. How many can you bring where you can see love? Because I don't see it, either on here or on GameFAQs or anywhere else. DSIII is not a very well liked game, from what I can see. Sure it has a high MC score, but since when has that reflected the fans opinion?

This'll be my last post on DSIII's reaction on here, because I don't want to derail the thread any further. Feel free to PM me if you want to debate.

Just go to the rank all souls games thread and see that most people dont rank ds2 above ds3 and they dont place dark souls 3 last.Simple as that

This doesn't fit your narrative i guess

But whatever you can spread your negativity as much as you want, i wont "debate" with you any longer

MilkBeard

I haven't really gotten that impression. I would say a lot of people are disappointed, in a sense that they were expecting something else. But I've seen a lot of positive reactions as well. Pretty much the same kind of reactions you'd expect for a new game in a highly regarded franchise. You have different groups of people, some that like the original purity of the series, some that like the newer designs that came with newer games, etc. etc.

It's basically more of the same "Demon's Souls is better..." "No, Dark Souls is better" talk that I see every day.

Personally I think Miyazaki is on point about letting Souls rest for a while. This is only going to continue, and each game that comes out is going to be scrutinized with greater intensity. If "X" gameplay mechanic is not included, you will have that core group that like it running to the forums to express their displeasure.

Late Flag

Very slowly playing through as a Pyromancer (the only build I never did in a previous game) after chewing through NG and NG+ with my butcher's cleaver.

Maybe it's because I'm mostly not exploring and just bee-lining for the stuff I want, so I'm only level 35ish after Wolnir, but damn is it more of a struggle! Casting is super slow and it's very difficult to find an opening in which you have time to attack. At least now that I did
Demon Ruins
I had enough Large Titanite to get to a +5 glove and have Great Chaos Fire Orb which seems to do decent damage.

Looking forward to getting to the good bosses now for sure though. Can anyone recommend some bread and butter pyromancies? I have all the tomes, but I haven't been to
the prison
yet.

*edit* Not sure if this counts, but both Metacritic and Steam have higher user scores for Dark Souls III compared to Dark Souls II, though both games are quite positive. My sense has been fans prefer III on the whole.

I haven't finished the game yet, but I found things got a lot easier (really, a lot easier) when I got Dark Fire Orb. Between that and some of the two-slot fireball variants, I suddenly became able to dish out quite a bit of damage and didn't have to worry about bosses that were resistant to my only elemental. For example, I went from barely being able to put a dent in O
ld
D
emon
K
ing
to melting him effortlessly just by having access to a good dark spell. Likewise, D
ragonslayer
A
rmor
was a complete pushover with Chaos Bed Vestiges.

I haven't really gotten that impression. I would say a lot of people are disappointed, in a sense that they were expecting something else. But I've seen a lot of positive reactions as well. Pretty much the same kind of reactions you'd expect for a new game in a highly regarded franchise. You have different groups of people, some that like the original purity of the series, some that like the newer designs that came with newer games, etc. etc.

It's basically more of the same "Demon's Souls is better..." "No, Dark Souls is better" talk that I see every day.

Personally I think Miyazaki is on point about letting Souls rest for a while. This is only going to continue, and each game that comes out is going to be scrutinized with greater intensity. If "X" gameplay mechanic is not included, you will have that core group that like it running to the forums to express their displeasure.

Pretty much this. Which is why I'm personally more excited for From's new IP than the coming DLC. I could take more Souls but they(and Miyazaki) seem to excel when they arent beholden to previous story elements or mechanics.

Soulhouf

I don't remember saying it in this thread (but I did in the import OT) : DS3 brought up most of what I loved in the series. It feels like Demon's Souls in Dark Souls world if that makes sense. There are still some DS2 crap they should've ignored but some good ideas too.
No trash areas, Demon's Souls feeling, all the bosses are cool and unique, refined gameplay, amazing areas and monster design and gorgeous music.
I still rank Demon's Souls and Bloodborne above it but over all it's the best in the Dark Souls series and a splendid conclusion.

nemisis0

Damn just beat the game and took out
nameless king
with a dark sword+10 heavy infused at level 70 on my second try and got all the endings. what a great journey that was, now with the wait for the dlc.

Took out all last 8 bosses in one go, the one that gave me the hardest time was
vordt
, other than that everyone else was one or two goes and they went down.

I farmed concord kepts for the last two days with a respec'd character at 99 luck, equipped with +2 gold serpent ring and the crystal rapier (thanks to gaffer SDR-UK for these!) as well as the avarice symbol.
With 499 item discovery after popping a coin, I managed to get those ears in two farming sessions, clocking in about 5 hours. I especially got more when I used a gold coin, bringing up my discovery to about 549, but I only had like ten in my inventory. Sadly, I didn't get summoned once.

I did see that you can DROP them to the floor, but someone else said they couldn't be given away. Are we all sure about this? I'd be willing to drop these 30 fuckers to as many people as possible, I've got a save ready.

Arjen

I farmed concord kepts for the last two days with a respec'd character at 99 luck, equipped with +2 gold serpent ring and the crystal rapier (thanks to gaffer SDR-UK for these!) as well as the avarice symbol.
With 499 item discovery after popping a coin, I managed to get those ears in two farming sessions, clocking in about 5 hours. I especially got more when I used a gold coin, bringing up my luck to about 549, but I only had like ten in my inventory. Sadly, I didn't get summoned once.

I did see that you can DROP them to the floor, but someone else said they couldn't be given away. Are we all sure about this? I'd be willing to drop these 30 fuckers to as many people as possible, I've got a save ready.

Pretty sure, tried to exchange upgrade materials and covenant items and that didn't work.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
With 499 item discovery after popping a coin, I managed to get those ears in two farming sessions, clocking in about 5 hours. I especially got more when I used a gold coin, bringing up my luck to about 549, but I only had like ten in my inventory. Sadly, I didn't get summoned once.

I think other people cannot see covenants items even if you drop them. On the flipside...this might be a placebo here, but I am the only person who had better drop rates when you farm for items WITHOUT a covenant being equipped?

Farming for Wolf Blood Swordgrass for 6 hours straight as a Watchdog of Farron yesterday, and I got two. The next day I remove the covenant and I got 6 within 4 runs. I wasn't even farming for the items (just getting souls for levelling up lol), and I had 30 grasses within 3 hours. But that's without the covenant being equipped.

Could be a coincidence...or maybe From just wants you to go into PvP if you want a covenant equipped haha.

MilkBeard

With 499 item discovery after popping a coin, I managed to get those ears in two farming sessions, clocking in about 5 hours. I especially got more when I used a gold coin, bringing up my discovery to about 549, but I only had like ten in my inventory. Sadly, I didn't get summoned once.

In my own experience the Blademoon summon works as intended...it's unfortunate it's not working for others. Either way, I have like 50 extra just sitting in my inventory. I was thinking about giving them away but it seems maybe you can't. Can anyone find out?

Gestahl

I was wondering why I was seeing random gamefaqs threads being referenced here and inane opinions about Souls' popularity, things make a lot of sense now that I know that it's that one weirdo from the other thread

I'm really not sure what he's on about, the mood around DS2 was far worse than it is around DS3 at this period in its lifecycle. He needs to go back to the DS2 OT and reread it. There were way more people being negative about that game than are about DS3.

SDR-UK

Congratulations on beating the hardest part of Dark Souls!

Covenants and drop rates should not be this broken.

Jesus dude, you are just cherry picking comments to fit your narrative. Give it a rest. I can find threads in GameFaqs where the majority of posters hate Demons souls/The Last of US/Half-life 2/Whatever game is critically acclaimed and loved by fans. It doesn't mean shit.

ElFly

I don't remember saying it in this thread (but I did in the import OT) : DS3 brought up most of what I loved in the series. It feels like Demon's Souls in Dark Souls world if that makes sense. There are still some DS2 crap they should've ignored but some good ideas too.
No trash areas, Demon's Souls feeling, all the bosses are cool and unique, refined gameplay, amazing areas and monster design and gorgeous music.
I still rank Demon's Souls and Bloodborne above it but over all it's the best in the Dark Souls series and a splendid conclusion.

I didn't really feel DS3 was like Demon except for a few specific callbacks
(Stormruler, that bridge in Lothric, etc)

The most "demon" area is
Irithyll dungeon, but only due to the jail + creepy jailers aspect. Latria was waaay more atmospheric, still the most atmospheric area in Soulsborne. They really need to bring back a prisoner yelling across the area calling for help, and a lady singing (tho the lady singing was brought back for great effect in Amana)
, but honestly, it is a short area that leads to Profaned Capital, which is a different thing.

Demon had a certain feeling that everything around you was reachable (obvs there's stuff on the distance that is not, but most of the things that are on stone throw distance, you can somehow reach); all other four games normally fail that, with several areas having blatant unreachable areas. Dark 3 does better at time at this, and way worse at other times. Irithyll is particularly bad about this.

There was also a different aesthetic to Demon that's hard to place. DS3 on the other hand, particularly in the first areas, feels like a rethread. You had the zombie village (which was done better just last year in bloodborne) the creepy cathedral (which was done better just last year in bloodborne) and the poison area, which, well, every other game did better. That slow start kind of soured me on the game a lot. Later the game makes up for it, but the start is disappointing.

Lothric has some callbacks to Demon, but they are mostly bad. Did we really need once more to snipe at a dragon from a safe place? this time it is even easier than in demon so it is less impressive. Doing it while the dragon flied in Demon was more creative, here the dragon just stays there. It is disappointing.

I honestly don't feel that the Demon design is felt here, other than the callbacks. The game makes the player's life easier than ever (except maybe DS2), very few areas feel really oppressive (as opposed to mostly-abandoned) where Demon made you feel unwelcome at every turn. There's not the sense of danger and mystery that the World Tendency added. I honestly feel weird that people are reminded of Demon's design...outside of the direct and less direct references, which ain't few.

Bloodborne was a much Demon-like game, with its more unique aesthetique, and scarier areas.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
On NG+ now, anyone know if killing Yu
ria hinders Anri's quest at all? Not going for Usurpation ending, and I want Yuria's stuff :p

Pretty sure killing Yuria doesn't hinder Anri going hollow and all that. It basically affects the hitman in Yorshka's chapel. Ice her!

Tingle

In my own experience the Blademoon summon works as intended...it's unfortunate it's not working for others. Either way, I have like 50 extra just sitting in my inventory. I was thinking about giving them away but it seems maybe you can't. Can anyone find out?

You can't drop covenant items, upgrade materials, and a few other items for other players. So no, just give them for the leader board or hold onto them.

Tingle

Did we really need once more to snipe at a dragon from a safe place? this time it is even easier than in demon so it is less impressive. Doing it while the dragon flied in Demon was more creative, here the dragon just stays there. It is disappointing.

You don't need to snipe the dragons, that's actually the hard way of killing them this time.

Pretty sure, tried to exchange upgrade materials and covenant items and that didn't work.

:(

Could be a coincidence...or maybe From just wants you to go into PvP if you want a covenant equipped haha.

You may be right, a lot of times I don't think these items are pure RNG. Before I farmed the concords I already had 3 in my inventory, so you may be into something.

While sitting at level 84, I already had trouble getting summoned as a deacon and as a blue it was just as impossible as it is now on SL 110. You must have had all the ideal conditions put together, possibly a way better connection.
On my next playthrough I'm going to equip the blue covenant the entire way to at least see this thing in action.

Congratulations on beating the hardest part of Dark Souls!

Covenants and drop rates should not be this broken.

All thanks to you buddy! I knew this would be impossible without left-handing the rapier.

Astral

Where the fuck does Sirris go after I finish her quest and she swears loyalty to me? I wanna kill her for her armor but she left the shrine. Do I seriously have to wait until
after the Two Princes
to get it now? That's ridiculous.

Just for fun, Dark Souls II OT2, page 166: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=786387&page=166

Everyone just talking about stuff in the game.

I didn't say the majority of the posts were negative, at that point the b-team nonsense had not yet hit full stride, but there were for sure more negative posts than in the DS3 OT. I would know, I made a couple of them =P. Still loved the game though. Either way, I'm not seeing this deluge of hate that he is talking about. The very thread he brought up is counter to his argument, as more people are ranking DS3 above 2 than vice-versa.

Hooks

So I'm at the last boss and my GPU died, so I borrowed a friends and then my SSD died, why life, why do you do this to me, I was having so much fun with pvp too.

MilkBeard

:(

While sitting at level 84, I already had trouble getting summoned as a deacon and as a blue it was just as impossible as it is now on SL 110. You must have had all the ideal conditions put together, possibly a way better connection.
On my next playthrough I'm going to equip the blue covenant the entire way to at least see this thing in action.
My connection is actually pretty terrible where I am now. So I know for sure that doesn't cause any issue with getting summoned. There might be something in how the game matches people by region that maybe makes it work for some and not others.

Otherwise, I got nothin.

I will say that I have had the least amount of summons by far using the Wolves of Farron badge. I didn't try using it until late game, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom