• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT2| Welcome to NG+, Unkindled One

Status
Not open for further replies.

Keinu

The game really needs to drag a second invader in those cases.

Wonder what'd happen if there was a "anti blue cops" covenant, where if a blue cop was deployed, you get summoned to kill him and/or the host too.

Of course, the summon rate would be super low, but it actually works super well when you are on the way of blue covenant. The supply of cops makes it almost a sure thing.

I wish there was some reward for killing an invader alone or something. Right now there is no point facing an invader alone and I don't blame people summoning others when they are invaded. Not a fan of obviously organized gank squads though.

test_account

XP-39C²
Okay, so because I have an unhealthy obsession with this game's crabs, I've been looking up threads and doing some experimentation in regards to the Tiny Catacombs Crab that spawns when you kill the second skele-ball and found out...interesting stuff but nothing amazing. So here goes:

1. So, the TCC attaches to you and follows you but never attacks you. How far away can you get before he stops following you? The answer is apparently forever. I read a thread where someone kept running to opposite ends of an area and it would follow even without seeing you. It gets stuck on stuff a lot but it follows. In my own experiments, I spawned the TCC, got it to lock onto me and then ran to bridge, clearing out enemies as I did. I stood on the opposite side of the bridge and after a long-ass time it found it's way over there. I then ran all the way back to the area with the Carthus Milk Ring and waited forever and it got stuck on a pillar right near where I was after like 15 minutes. I read that someone actually got it to drop down and survive the trip to S
mouldering Lake
using Force. If you get it that far, it seems to stop and wait in front of the edge of the bridge as if waiting for you to push it down there.

2. If you take the TCC down to S
mouldering Lake
you can run around the whole area BUT it attaches itself to the large worm/where it spawns so you can't take it into the D
emon Ruins
that way or Boss Fight. Otherwise it will follow you anywhere in S
mouldering Lake
. It does not seem to interact with anything down there, not even it's brother crabs! Although in the course of investigating said less-friendly crabs, one of the ember crabs chilling down there does not actually aggro on you. He just kinda...minds his own business and does whatever cool things crabs do all day. The TCC does not interact with him in any way, which is disappointing on a number of levels, mainly emotional. The TCC will not help you fight H
orace

3. If you open up the shortcut to the D
emon Ruins
using the ballista you can lead the TCC into the D
emon Ruins
but getting it there is extremely difficult with the ballista still firing and your need to be somewhat near it to direct it into the hole. Without the ballista you can't get it into the D
emon Ruins
. Really been unable to find anyone who got the TCC in there.

4. If you take the TCC back in the other direction he can only go as far as the Abyss Watchers fog wall. He'll push against it and try to get through but he can't even if you hit or kick him (which broke my fucking heart, I didn't mean it little guy).

5. He gets stuck on W
olnir
's fog wall so that's the farthest you can take him in that direction too.

That's pretty much all I've found out. We're probably not going to learn more until you can warp it back to Firelink and level it up 5 times at Yoel to unlock the DLC Crabtorias of the Crabyss.

I might care about crabs too much.

Edit: Oh, you can actually lead him onto the bridge and cut it and he'll survive the fall down to S
mouldering Lake
. If you drop him down there, he unlocks the Crab Covenant.
Haha nice :) I never thought about that this crab could be some kind of secret in the game. It was like that in Dark Souls 2 with the pig, so maybe this crab does something.

lol Holy shit, how did I miss this? No, that is unfortunately not me. I just read like, one thread on Steam and one on Reddit and then did my own experiments with it instead of spending my valuable time playing the game or doing work or answering calls from my lady friend. Pretty much tested what the threads said and then tried some shit on my own with no effects.

TalesFromHoth

Neo Member
Sure, but do we know for sure that it increases the chance for covenant items to be dropped? Didnt seem like that when i tried it earlier, boosting my luck a lot. Basically all i got was more armor and shield drops.

Thanks for the tip though. I guess i'll try to farm some more at that place.

No problem, I'm not sure of the exact formula used based on the item discovery value, but basically every creature has a loot table and probably a default % on how often that item drops. Increasing your discovery should technically increase the % on each loot table item. That's how I look at it, if someone else knows more then please chime in.

ElFly

If nobody has gotten the TCC to the d
emon ruins
, I immediately postulate it will revive
Quelaag's sister
once taken there.

Arthropod love.

D

Deleted member 57681

Unconfirmed Member
Okay, so because I have an unhealthy obsession with this game's crabs, I've been looking up threads and doing some experimentation in regards to the Tiny Catacombs Crab that spawns when you kill the second skele-ball and found out...interesting stuff but nothing amazing. So here goes:

1. So, the TCC attaches to you and follows you but never attacks you. How far away can you get before he stops following you? The answer is apparently forever. I read a thread where someone kept running to opposite ends of an area and it would follow even without seeing you. It gets stuck on stuff a lot but it follows. In my own experiments, I spawned the TCC, got it to lock onto me and then ran to bridge, clearing out enemies as I did. I stood on the opposite side of the bridge and after a long-ass time it found it's way over there. I then ran all the way back to the area with the Carthus Milk Ring and waited forever and it got stuck on a pillar right near where I was after like 15 minutes. I read that someone actually got it to drop down and survive the trip to S
mouldering Lake
using Force. If you get it that far, it seems to stop and wait in front of the edge of the bridge as if waiting for you to push it down there.

mouldering Lake
you can run around the whole area BUT it attaches itself to the large worm/where it spawns so you can't take it into the D
emon Ruins
mouldering Lake
. It does not seem to interact with anything down there, not even it's brother crabs! Although in the course of investigating said less-friendly crabs, one of the ember crabs chilling down there does not actually aggro on you. He just kinda...minds his own business and does whatever cool things crabs do all day. The TCC does not interact with him in any way, which is disappointing on a number of levels, mainly emotional. The TCC will not help you fight H
orace

emon Ruins
emon Ruins
but getting it there is extremely difficult with the ballista still firing and your need to be somewhat near it to direct it into the hole. Without the ballista you can't get it into the D
emon Ruins

4. If you take the TCC back in the other direction he can only go as far as the Abyss Watchers fog wall. He'll push against it and try to get through but he can't even if you hit or kick him (which broke my fucking heart, I didn't mean it little guy).

5. He gets stuck on W
olnir

That's pretty much all I've found out. We're probably not going to learn more until you can warp it back to Firelink and level it up 5 times at Yoel to unlock the DLC Crabtorias of the Crabyss.

Edit: Oh, you can actually lead him onto the bridge and cut it and he'll survive the fall down to S
mouldering Lake
crabtivating

Finnroth

Never much thought about the crab, but it is interesting that it follows the PC. The pig ate shrooms in DKS2, kinda pig -> truffles. What do crabs eat? xD
Then again, if anything noteworthy was hidden that way, it would have probably already been data mined I guess?

MrHoot

mouldering Lake

mouldering Lake
emon Ruins
mouldering Lake
orace

emon Ruins
emon Ruins
emon Ruins

5. He gets stuck on W
olnir

mouldering Lake

...are you Plague of Gripes

ElFly

Never much thought about the crab, but it is interesting that it follows the PC. The pig ate shrooms in DKS2, kinda pig -> truffles. What do crabs eat? xD
Then again, if anything noteworthy was hidden that way, it would have probably alreasy data mined I guess?

Fishes and other sea inhabitants.

Clearly the TCC is an Deputy of the Deep.

Lorcain

I really enjoyed DS3. Finished the story last night, and then finished the D
ragon (lol)
and N
ameless
K
ing
(with some sunbro help) today.

This is exactly what I was looking for in the final DS title. Callbacks to DS1&2, lots of lore connections, engaging combat, tough regular enemies, and some really memorable boss fights.

I appreciate that starter weapons, and regular weapons found throughout the game, can be just as good or better than boss weapons. They did a good job with that. I also liked the faster combat. Now to go help others with N
ameless
K
ing

TalesFromHoth

Neo Member
Fishes and other sea inhabitants.

Clearly the TCC is an Deputy of the Deep.

He is like the undead torch guy in DS2 in No-Man's wharf. He hides behind the barrels near the start with a torch, but if you just take out the barrels he will follow you around, never attacks you, it's like your own personal torch assistant.

S

Steve.1981

Unconfirmed Member
To follow up a previous post I made, I was a bit hard on Lothric Castle (called it boring). I was pissed after a run of locations I hadn't enjoyed at all. It's actually quite a cool area, especially when you include
the Archives. Together they kind of feel like one big area to me. I like the Archives, they were one of my favourite locations in DaS 1. They're maybe not as cool in 3 but I've enjoyed making my way through the level and there's some nice touches. Fighting what is basically a kind of Big Hat Logan was a good callback, and the whole wax thing...I was just thinking "Why the hell would I want to dunk my head in wax?!"...

Also, I like how the run up to the boss gate is just insane (like Boletarian Palace again)
but then you notice the elevator and breathe a sigh of relief

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
So yesterday I found a specific ring on a tower-ish structure near a mid/late? game boss room, which name's starting with an H.
Spoilers for this ring incoming.

Hunter Ring.

Holy fucking shit what?

Game, do you want to tell me subtly that friggin' Bloodborne's Hunters are part of the DS universe now? "The fringes and shadows"? I can't even, this is a fantastic little nod and I was smiling like an idiot.

I know for sure now some would reply with "Dude no, here's the Souls universe explanation for it", but no way that's not intentional. Especially not combined with that hunter's armor you get.

So great. I love this game so much.

Unrelated spoiler to said boss nearby:

God the way to this boss sucks so much. Fucking glowy-eyes knights.

To follow up a previous post I made, I was a bit hard on Lothric Castle (called it boring). I was pissed after a run of locations I hadn't enjoyed at all. It's actually quite a cool area, especially when you include
the Archives. Together they kind of feel like one big area to me. I like the Archives, they were one of my favourite locations in DaS 1. They're maybe not as cool in 3 but I've enjoyed making my way through the level and there's some nice touches. Fighting what is basically a kind of Big Hat Logan was a good callback, and the whole wax thing...I was just thinking "Why the hell would I want to dunk my head in wax?!"...

Also, I like how the run up to the boss gate is just insane (like Boletarian Palace again)
but then you notice the elevator and breathe a sigh of relief
Did you find
the path that leads to the rafters at the top of the Archives?
I really enjoyed that, it ties the area together nicely.

Zocano

He is like the undead torch guy in DS2 in No-Man's wharf. He hides behind the barrels near the start with a torch, but if you just take out the barrels he will follow you around, never attacks you, it's like your own personal torch assistant.

Then he comes back in Undead Crypt and fucks you and your hollow family

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Do you even know what the problem with poise was in Dark Souls?
Yup. Although it was problems, plural.
It wasn't Havel fast rolling; that was a ring issue that got patched. It was people intentionally walking through an attack to backstab.
Yes, poise-stabs were one of the major problems, I agree.

END/VIT were also a combined stat compared to this game where they are not only seperate, but they take a huge investment of levels (even more than Dark Souls 2). Way more than what was required in Dark Souls. Havel Mages were a thing in Dark Souls 2 simply because of the way armor actually made a difference, unlike this game for the most part. Armor is barely above Bloodborne level for protection, and poise does jack shit, which can't be intentional.
No disagreement there either. I agree armour should have more defense. As for poise being disabled not being intentional, well, I'm pretty sure they turned it off for a reason. We've had several patches so far and they still haven't brought it back. There's even a wolf ring that does nothing right now. If they turned it off it's likely because they felt it was too broken.

PvP in this game right now is a complete joke because of the armor and poise issues. Straight swords and Estocs dominate right now due to how easily you can stagger someone. Parrying isn't the answer either, because that only works against people that just mindlessly mash R1 relentlessly (sometimes, if there's no lag). Even Demon's Souls had better PvP despite not having poise. Even discounting PvP, the way you get staggered in this game is fucking stupid, especially in heavier armors. The rat example was spot on. The game is just broken in that regard, and they forgot this wasn't Bloodborne 2.0, while also forgetting to give the player a quick dodge too along with the regain mechanic.
Meh. Demon's Souls had 0 poise and heavy armours were useless then too. You had hit-stun on everything from daggers to big-ass weapons no matter what you'd wear. It's pretty much exactly the same except that backstabs are not as easy to do as they were in DeS.

One of the other reasons I don't miss DS1 poise is that it forces the players to actually avoid getting hit (whether by dodging or blocking). In DS1, poise-stabs aside, it was just too easy to stack tons of poise, tank through attacks and even heal without interruption. It defeats the purpose of having to learn attack patterns or playing methodically.

DS2 might have handled poise the best out of the whole series, really. Poise wasn't as broken-good as in DS1, but it was still there and could help shrug off small attacks at least, but you were still forced to learn attack patterns and couldn't tank everything. And poise-stabs weren't a thing in PvP either.

But regardless, I find the Demon's Souls no-poise system to be just fine anyway.

Can't believe they'll actually include a marriage storyline but won't let us choose her :C
You're kidding right? If this game had an actual romance system I'd fucking throw my PS4 out of the window.

The way they subverted the "opposite-sex partner" shit from most RPGs by having the "wedding" ceremony be this utterly unwholesome fucked up thing was absolutely perfect for a Souls game, really. I almost got worried when Yuria kept telling me about my spouse being ready, but while I felt pretty awful for poor Anri, the fact that the ceremony had me stab him in the face redeemed the whole thing. "Haha you thought you had a love interest? Here stab him in the face while he's lying down helplessly." LOL

Dunno who that guy is but Gundyr is no joke. Top 3 hardest bosses in this game.
I am baffled that people are struggling to this boss. He hits hard, sure, but his attacks are really telegraphed and easy to avoid. Top 3? Not even close, for me. Both my dex and my mage had no problem with him.

My hardest bosses:
The Nameless King
Soul of Cinders
Abyss Watchers
Lorian and Lothric

Those took several tries on my dex, though my mage got TNK first try (my mage cooped AW so I can't comment, dex struggled but I did them before entering the Cathedral, might have been underlevelled... IDK). Everyone else took only 1 or 2 tries solo including Champion G.

It's DSP. He doesn't adapt, doesn't learn, just cries about controls and camera.

It's why it's so fun to watch him fail.
You're giving him exactly what he wants, then.

What are the best weapons for a 60/40 Faith/Luck build? I'm currently using Anri's Straight Sword, which I love, but I wanna switch it up every now and then.

Every NPC I look at on a wiki has some elaborate quest line that I've completely missed.

Yep... I've resorted to using the wiki to find them. On my first run I missed every single one. Some of them require backtracking... there's just no way I would have figured this stuff out on my own.

Honestly co-op trivializes every boss fight. I enjoy helping other people out from time to time but I would never consider summoning for a boss.

My favorite co-op boss fights are P
ontiff
S
ulyvahn
and D
ragonslayer
A
rmour
. P
ontiff
has those sweeping attacks that often hit several people at once, and D
ragonslayer
has those punishing shield attacks that hit people behind him, and can hit people off the cliff. I've seen many phantom deaths in those fights.

S

Steve.1981

Unconfirmed Member
Did you find
the path that leads to the rafters at the top of the Archives?
I really enjoyed that, it ties the area together nicely.

I haven't, but I'm not done yet. Got a lot of jumping around to do on the roofs, and I haven't beat the 3 big guys with the winged armour yet.

Edit: Just to say, I find it absolutely mind-boggling that people are saying Champion Gundyr is easy. I know, these things are always relative but still, that guy is fucking relentless, hits like a damn truck and can punish pretty much any tactic. How is he easy, for any build? I'm at a loss.

DedValve

Banned
Use Wolf Sword if you want dat swagger and awesome special moves. That's what I do.

I mean yeah I am rocking that Guts--My bad I meant "Abyss" armor and that sword would definitely give me extra swag but I can't even dip it in some magic fire and its weaker than some random ass weapon drop? Lame.

It does look good tho.

I'm thinking the Curved Sword is considerably more stronger but...I don't look nearly as boss when I swing it.

*sigh* once again I am torn between being fashionable and being reliable. I feel Execs Sword is a great balance at this. Plus I get some super measly FP per kill and I can buff it with fire.

Are there any items that boost miracles besides rings? I know sorcery has a dagger and head piece, but I didn't see anything for faith. A faith build seems like a solid way to handle gank squads when invading. Buff with unfaltering prayer then wade into them and drop a wrath of the gods follwed up with pillars of light. Anyone left standing that just drop a lightning stake on their face.

Are there any items that boost miracles besides rings? I know sorcery has a dagger and head piece, but I didn't see anything for faith. A faith build seems like a solid way to handle gank squads when invading. Buff with unfaltering prayer then wade into them and drop a wrath of the gods follwed up with pillars of light. Anyone left standing that just drop a lightning stake on their face.

I'd love to watch a video of a pure Faith build just wrecking gank squads.

You should have to dispatch the invader one way or another before being allowed to enter the boss fog, or at the very least there should be a timer. Play offline, don't summon, of stand and fight...chicken shittery shouldn't be an option.

Certainly not. I'm all for fighting, but when a douche invader wants hide behind a giant spider and 6 nps that shoot fire balls, hoping I'll aggro them, fuck that. That's chicken shittery. Ain't no one got time fo dat.

Sullichin

That feeling when you kill an NPC and you die before you can get his drop.

Classic Souls.

- Killed blacksmith in 2-1 by accident in NG+, went through another cycle to upgrade weapons again
- Killed Seath before getting his tail when I wanted it (this was stupid), went through another cycle just to get it
- Killed lightning spear mimic as it killed me in Sen's on my first DS playthrough, didn't get it and was devastated.

Do mimics work this way now? What if this happens with the mimic that has the estus shard? That would be kinda fucked up.

Zocano

Certainly not. I'm all for fighting, but when a douche invader wants hide behind a giant spider and 6 nps that shoot fire balls, hoping I'll aggro them, fuck that. That's chicken shittery. Ain't no one got time fo dat.

Invaders shouldn't play fair. I think a timer lockdown is a good idea. If you don't like it, there's the way of blue for you.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Edit: Just to say, I find it absolutely mind-boggling that people are saying Champion Gundyr is easy. I know, these things are always relative but still, that guy is fucking relentless, hits like a damn truck and can punish pretty much any tactic. How is he easy, for any build? I'm at a loss.
His attacks are slow and super easy to dodge. He doesn't have long-ass relentless combos nor super-quick attacks the way
Abyss Watchers, Pontiff Sulyvahn, Nameless King or Soul of Cinders
do (or the
princes's teleporting attack
which can fuck up your timing or make you lose your lock-on). He also only does physical damage so a good shield is an option for emergency blocking, whereas the other bosses I listed do fire/lightning/magic damage that can still go through.

I solo'd him both with a dex build (using a katana) and a sorceress. My mage absolutely nuked him with soul spears, lol, couple of casts and he was dead. My dex needed to be a bit more methodical but still had no problem, the dodging of hitboxes is pretty generous.

- Killed lightning spear mimic as it killed me in Sen's on my first DS playthrough, didn't get it and was devastated.

Do mimics work this way now? What if this happens with the mimic that has the estus shard? That would be kinda fucked up.
I think that mimics respawn if you don't pick up the drop. In the Catacombs area with
the fire demon and the mimic
, I was helping a friend and the
demon killed the mimic but my friend died to the demon shortly after, when we returned there the mimic had respawned

Invaders shouldn't play fair. I think a timer lockdown is a good idea. If you don't like it, there's the way of blue for you.

Why should hosts play fair? There is no lore indicating such.
If we don't like it, then we have the tree seed. It's in the game for a reason. To force invaders to 1v1 me punk.

Steel

Banned
My hardest bosses:
The Nameless King
Soul of Cinders
Abyss Watchers
Lorian and Lothric

Those took several tries on my dex, though my mage got TNK first try (my mage cooped AW so I can't comment, dex struggled but I did them before entering the Cathedral, might have been underlevelled... IDK). Everyone else took only 1 or 2 tries solo including Champion G.

What, no
Dancer
? I actually forgot about that boss earlier in the thread when I said AW was the hardest boss for me at 5 tries, and then I remembered that this boss took me like 11... The
odd way she moves threw me off big-time which reminded me of ludwig even if she was nowhere near that bad.

For me it was:

Dancer
Abyss Walkers
Nameless King

In that order. Everything else was 1-3 tries.

You have a tool to deal with that in the seed of giants. A person getting invaded usually already has a partner phantom, more flask usage, are embered, and have a way to summon more help at will considering the number of summons signs that are around. The invader has mobs, which are unreliable because of the seed and possibly a fellow invader who does friendly fire. The deck is stacked against an invader to win they should do whatever they can to secure a kill short of hacking.

Steel

Banned
Was Abyss Watchers one of the bosses that was on the harder side?

I just got it on my second try. :p

Some people had zero problems with them. I really think it's build dependent. Like, I got the final boss in one go and some people think it's hard and NK only took me four tries.

Fun as hell fight, in either case.

S

Steve.1981

Unconfirmed Member
His attacks are slow and super easy to dodge. He doesn't have long-ass relentless combos nor super-quick attacks the way
Abyss Watchers, Pontiff Sulyvahn, Nameless King or Soul of Cinders
do (or the
princes's teleporting attack
which can fuck up your timing or make you lose your lock-on). He also only does physical damage so a good shield is an option for emergency blocking, whereas the other bosses I listed do fire/lightning/magic damage that can still go through.

I solo'd him both with a dex build (using a katana) and a sorceress. My mage absolutely nuked him with soul spears, lol, couple of casts and he was dead. My dex needed to be a bit more methodical but still had no problem, the dodging of hitboxes is pretty generous.

Yeah I watched myco666's video after writing that post. Nice job myco, I would never have believed anyone could take him down so easy. Guess it's just one of those things, he absolutely wrecked me over and over again, it seemed like I couldn't get an opening to attack or heal or anything. When I beat him I summoned The Master as a meat shield and once he died I just rolled non-stop like a bitch, only stopping to throw a quick lightning urn or firebomb.

w0s

Was Abyss Watchers one of the bosses that was on the harder side?

I just got it on my second try. :p

I had trouble with him. I think what it comes down to for me is a lot of the harder bosses were the aggressive ones that seem to not have a stamina meter.

Holy sheeeeeeeeet, just killed
Champion Grundyr
on my first try, probably the most intense fight in the game regardless. Really burned through my flasks.

For anyone that is doing coop with a friend, do you have issues with summoning your friend? My friend has tried summoning me and it has failed like 15 times in a row -_-

Arjen

For anyone that is doing coop with a friend, do you have issues with summoning your friend? My friend has tried summoning me and it has failed like 15 times in a row -_-

Have to say it works flawlessly for me and my buddy. Are you using the password system?

Tarkus

I've never had too much trouble summoning GAF bros. I wish I had a friend IRL that played Dark Souls :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom