• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT2| Welcome to NG+, Unkindled One

Status
Not open for further replies.

Unai

Question with spoiler about a quest:

If I don't
unlock my true power
, will that second NPC be friendly and let me buy her items after
Yoel pass away
? This is my second playthough (NG) and I want to do something different from what a did before.

Mokoi

Banned
My god
CHAMPION NINJA KICK GUNDYR
was such a fun fight. We were both one hit from death, and I accidentally pressed my roll making me narrowly miss his
CHAMPION NINJA KICK
. Bosses like that make me love the game. Shame the abyss watchers were scrubs because both these bosses so far have been the coolest.

MilkBeard

Heh. When [Orbeck related]
Yuria was asking me to murder Orbeck, this was on my mage build, so I said "fuck that, my sorc bro is staying alive" and refused to kill him regardless of what the reward might be. My friend told me "oh do it, she gives you something really cool! just buy all his spells and it won't matter if he dies" and I was all "but... he's cool! :(" and he laughed, even offered to somehow dupe the assassination reward for me.

Then eventually I did buy all his spells.... and he said such nice things like how grateful he was to me and all that. :( I still thought "I'm not killing him!"

....Then he runs off somewhere and gets himself killed anyway. ;_; Well at least I don't feel guilty about turning in his ashes, lol. I never betrayed him!

... I did look up where his ashes were. Didn't feel like scouring the entire game for them.

Wow, I never had this happen. Probably because I didn't find Orbeck until much later. Pretty crazy the minutia of things that can happen based on who you talk to and who you find first.

ElFly

Yeah in vanilla DS2 they weren't as many and they stayed sleeping. But in SotFS, as soon as you beat Dragonrider in Heide's Tower for example, they wake up and aggro from long distance. It feels like a really strange change, especially because there are so many of them lying around in that area. None of the enemies in this area are quick kills at a lower level, they are all enemies which take time to beat and they all gang on you as soon as you walk through. The area punishes you hard if you try to take the forked path after they are awake. Honestly I kind of wish they kept the original enemy placement.

I think I will go back to SotFS some time. I only beat it once and it was a p quick affair.

By that time I had already played Vanilla DS2 like...seven times? on console, then a few times on PC. I lost count. And then I did a PC run just for the DLC. I love DS2 but honestly SotFS arrived at the moment DS2 could no longer keep my interest.

I def think them waking up is superior design. Hell, I always remember that in some interviews or design docs of Dark 1, they had said the Black Knights were going to actually roam around the levels. They haven't really delivered on that kind of design in the soulsborne saga, with enemies barely walking around a few meters of their spawn point. It would work beautifully in some of the most connected areas of DS3, but alas.

If DS2 proves unpalatable to you in the long run, something I heartily recommend is to play Dark 1 with the aggression mod on PC. Enemies are all aggroed, and will walk towards you from around the level. Hell, even Havel will sometimes show up uninvited because he is loaded, but the door that stops him doesn't always load.

It's an awesome experience that let's you enjoy Dark 1 as a new game. But it is also a lot of work and sometimes you REALLY gotta cheese the enemies or it is imposible.

Tarkus

Yeah, I mean, people are harping on ENB but I feel like his blind playthrough of Dark Souls 3 is what a sort of 'normal' playthrough looks like for someone who has good knowledge of the series.

Also, the way he rips through those dancer enemies is great. They gave me a lot of trouble at first but he just smokes them. Probably because I had a much shorter weapon that doesn't stagger enemies easily.
He's doing slow episodes to be complete for the most part. That's his living. People seem to forget that.

Manu

Wow, I never had this happen. Probably because I didn't find Orbeck until much later. Pretty crazy the minutia of things that can happen based on who you talk to and who you find first.

My experience with Orbeck was the same as my experience with every sorcerer NPC in the series before.

That is, I talked to him with >10 Intelligence (because I play a full melee STR character) so he was like "as if, lol," and then he never showed up again.

Northernlion's LP is hilarious. He's using the Farron Greatsword and spamming the special skills to flippity dippity all around and it is astonishing how effective it is for him. He'll do it on narrow cliff edges and be fine and then eat shit from those fucking Pontiff Knights. He hasn't changed his starting armor so he's just taking two hits and falling like a stack of paper.

Pontiff Knights were my kryptonite. I eventually just ran past them fucks.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
My experience with Ornbeck was the same as my experience with every sorcerer NPC in the series before.

That is, I talked to him with >10 Intelligence (because I play a full melee STR character) so he was like "as if, lol," and then he never showed up again.
Heh, I wonder if it works if you wear the ring that boosts int?

Mokoi

Banned
I really enjoy watching enb's play through but man, he is so slow. He's still in the undead settlement where I'm watching bug man I can tell this will be a long one.

enb is one of the few peps I'll watch do a play through. Shit is relaxing, and it's great that he is so far behind me so I'm not getting spoiled on some really cool locations.

MilkBeard

I think I will go back to SotFS some time. I only beat it once and it was a p quick affair.

By that time I had already played Vanilla DS2 like...seven times? on console, then a few times on PC. I lost count. And then I did a PC run just for the DLC. I love DS2 but honestly SotFS arrived at the moment DS2 could no longer keep my interest.

Yeah, I haven't gotten into SofFS until just now. I think they intended that seperate path to be completed later in the game. So I just gave up trying to run to the optional boss. The main path is much easier.

I was also playing around with the Company of Champions. I had it on for the duration of my initial treck to the boss. I even had it on for the Dragonrider boss, and my health was so low as a hollow, so I just made the decision that I will have to beat the boss without getting hit once, which is doable. Made it through. I forgot I had it on and then when I took it off, I noticed a huge difference. Those solaire-like white knights though are still pretty challenging on normal difficulty. I'm going to have to try again later when I can tank through more of their hits.

How many tries did NK take for everyone, if you solo'd him?

I feel like an odd man out cause it took me 8, but then bosses people beat first try took me like 15 lol

MilkBeard

My experience with Orbeck was the same as my experience with every sorcerer NPC in the series before.

I chose Deprived, lol, so I made the bare minimum requirement for him to respond to me. Deprived has some benefits besides early game difficulty after all! Otherwise I never would have put points into that stat and never would have been able to interact with him.

Tingle

I just adjusted my aim, then shot 50 arrows by pressing one button with one hand and browsed neogaf with the other hand from a position where there are no enemies around.

At least Demon made me clear the area of shooting, or actually go under the fire of the dragons before getting to the snipe spot. In DS3 I can go from bonfire to sniping area unopposed; I am not even sneaking around. You don't even need to shoot both dragons!

We may have conflicting views on what constitutes difficulty but I'd think that everyone would agree that pressing one button for a couple of minutes with no danger whatsoever is Easy.

I'm not saying shooting the dragon isn't easy, I'm saying the game gives you a less tedious way of fighting the dragon.
Its arm is corrupted, and you can kill the dragon by melee fighting it in Lothric Castle.
Shooting the dragon was a tedious waste of time in DeS and DaS, so luckily they give you an alternative in this game.

I sniped zero dragons in my playthrough, I was just pointing out that they actually did change that aspect from DeS.

Defuser

Watching ENB's blind playthrough makes me realize the NPC quests this time is too vague and obscured than the previous games. He already failed 4 NPC questlines.

MilkBeard

I'm not saying shooting the dragon isn't easy, I'm saying the game gives you a less tedious way of fighting the dragon.
Its arm is corrupted, and you can kill the dragon by melee fighting it in Lothric Castle.
Shooting the dragon was a tedious waste of time in DeS and DaS, so luckily they give you an alternative in this game.

I sniped zero dragons in my playthrough, I was just pointing out that they actually did change that aspect from DeS.

I also sniped them,
because I didn't look enough to see that you could drop off the side at first. However, I had an Onislayer Greatbow, which seems to me to do more damage than the Dragonslayer Greatbow, so I used that as well as some arrows from a standard bow to make short work of them. The weird infection/possession still remains even when they are dead. It's a pretty cool little tidbit I didn't find out until later. However, I did think it was weird that they both died at the same time when you kill one of them with arrows.

Tingle

I also sniped them, because I didn't look enough to see that you could drop off the side at first. However, I had an Onislayer Greatbow, which seems to me to do more damage than the Dragonslayer Greatbow, so I used that as well as some arrows from a standard bow to make short work of them. The weird infection/possession still remains even when they are dead. It's a pretty cool little tidbit I didn't find out until later. However, I did think it was weird that they both died at the same time when you kill one of them with arrows.

I guess they both disappear because they know sniping the dragons was a bad use of people's time. I don't get how that concept came back in Dark Souls after it was pretty annoying in DeS.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain

I feel like an odd man out cause it took me 8, but then bosses people beat first try took me like 15 lol

3 (I threw the first fight willingly lol)

But....I was playing pure caster so it made it trivial. Other bosses that people plowed through took me 10 tries.

two tries

but to balance how much of an easy time I had with this boss, the game had made sure I got my souls experience with Dancer which took me like 20-25 deaths.

Fuck these Vicar Amelia-like bosses.

Jeff green is in Farron's keep...ahead of ENB go figure. I dont mind EnB but his God status is awful hard to live up to....many of us were ahead of him from the old Demons days and he was far from the first to do all things, like no upgrades challenges, (which were obviously more grueling than SL1 with maxed equipment) and many of us on GAF did this well before he; and Kay whined too much about DS2 and didn't even play Bloodborne.....some of the heroes people have in this community are too popular while some really awesome vidsmiths never get noticed much...take Ooziee and Pokashine for example. Some of the speed runners are also underrated IMO.

You take this too seriously bro

To complain about Kay of all people blows my fucking mind lol

at least 10 for NK. I got used to the camera in phase 1 after 2 or 3 tries. Then phase 2 happened and I felt like a scrub again. Great boss.

Gestahl

You take this too seriously bro

To complain about Kay of all people blows my fucking mind lol

lol she didn't have a living arrangement conducive to playing a PS4 game and didn't bend over and take it when Smelter Demon stuck her in the geometry over and over again how dare she

lol she didn't have a living arrangement conducive to playing a PS4 game and didn't bend over and take it when Smelter Demon stuck her in the geometry over and over again how dare she

Yeah I can't him seriously with his complaints when he shits all over people in this community (like ENB and Kay, two of the most likable people in the community) for not playing a game as quite as fast as the people in a specific thread of a popular online gaming forum. The fuck lol

Noobcraft

Can anyone help me find Anri? I wasn't following the quest line closely (I just wanted chameleon), but I think I messed it up.
I beat
Abyss Watchers first, Wolnir next, then Deacons
and talked to Anri at the firelink shrine, but neither Anri nor
the assassin
were at Central irithryll and I went ahead and beat
Horace
then beat the P
ontiff
. Any ideas?

Gestahl

Can anyone help me find Anri? I wasn't following the quest line closely (I just wanted chameleon), but I think I messed it up.
I beat
Abyss Watchers first, Wolnir next, then Deacons
and talked to Anri at the firelink shrine, but neither Anri nor
the assassin
were at Central irithryll and I went ahead and beat
Horace
then beat the P
ontiff
. Any ideas?

You're supposed to talk to her in the
Catacombs
just before Wolnir. There's also another place she spawns in there but that's optional.

beat it on pc in 50 hours played. another masterpiece from From. i think i got the crappy ending
(link to the first flame... guy just touches the bonfire and starts burning)
but that's ok i'll replay it again when the DLC comes out to see about the other endings.

the only thing that bummed me out is a lot of the cool looking armor/weapons weren't very good stat-wise :(

2AdEPT

No, ENB is well above their status. Nobody cares about Kay or Jeff Green. I like Mriwont4get but nobody knows him. ENB is an icon in this community. ENB explains the lore; not in this game, but usually with some insight.
I have always preferred Vaati or silver mont for lore. Like I said I don't mind Marcus but to me he's just another guy, not some sort of deity...no one deserves that much status and it puts a lot of pressure on people to get it. I think Marcus really enjoys not being part of the guide this time so that he can I deed enjoy a blind playthrough. Our society is doing better with this aspect, TV and movie stars are still the rage but you tube did a lot to take a piece of their Godliness.... For example Randy Rhodes was an awesone player ....who is now emulated and even surpassed by x number of 13 year od girls on you tube...its awesome.

Tarkus

I have always preferred Vaati or silver mont for lore. Like I said I don't mind Marcus but to me he's just another guy, not some sort of deity.
I like Silver Mont but ENB's quality is far beyond everyone else's.

Silver Mont's lore videos are few and far between

Nephtes

Ugh! I just want to go to NG+ already! I just need Vertebrae Shackles... I don't have even one.
Apparently I'm shit at PvP... And 2 hours of skeleton farming has produced not a single drop.

Fuck.

I have always preferred Vaati or silver mont for lore. Like I said I don't mind Marcus but to me he's just another guy, not some sort of deity...no one deserves that much status and it puts a lot of pressure on people to get it. I think Marcus really enjoys not being part of the guide this time so that he can I deed enjoy a blind playthrough. Our society is doing better with this aspect, TV and movie stars are still the rage but you tube did a lot to take a piece of their Godliness.... For example Randy Rhodes was an awesone player ....who is now emulated and even surpassed by x number of 13 year od girls on you tube...its awesome.

You are vastly over rating the popularity and status of ENB. He's just a cool bro who plays DS and does a good job explaining the lore. He's not some YouTube superstar.

Tarkus

You are vastly over rating the popularity and status of ENB. He's just a cool bro who plays DS and does a good job explaining the lore. He's not some YouTube superstar.
To be fair, he's also a cool bro that co-authored the DS2 & BB official strategy guides. Maybe not a YouTube superstar, but definitely a superstar in this community.

Whew!! 80 hours in and I finished the game! All I have to say is fuck
Nameless King
and the
Lord of Cinder
was intense. I killed all the bosses and
Twin Princes
was probably my fave. Tho I have to give mad props to
Lord of Cinder
for being like a perfectly tuned boss fight.
He has range like whoah and punishes for every range and position
. That guy was really somethin. Definitely one my favorite souls games.

T
win princes
was by far my favorite boss fight. The 2nd phase beginning is so fucking powerful. I wish all bosses were like that.

Also i wish people weren't foolish slaves, coming to take my ocelot

0racle

Guys, I need some clarification before I continue

Can I talk/start Rosarias fingers? I got the
cat ring from Sirris after invading her world
. If I can, will it affect ANYTHING be it endings/items etc? I am trying to get as many things as possible in one go, I didnt talk to rosaira because I heard sirris quest line is conflicting. Am I 100% in the clear?

Before I send out geriat(sp) the merchant, what do I need to do in order to ensure he lives? patches does not have the onion armor anymore.

Thanks !

ps. How far am I?

Even with my easier experience, I still am really surprised by the high numbers in the Knight's Roster. Seriously, how do people get 1000+ points? Do they play the game literally every hour of every day? Even with everything I think I am around 100 or so.

Also, about your other comment, I really hope the DLC expands on Irithyl. Easily one of the best areas in the game, and with the most interesting Lore, and so I would easily have liked if they would have expanded that area even if they had to sacrifice some others.

Please Fromsoft, let us experience more of that beautiful city.

There is something that seemed odd about the story/lore makeup of the game. Like there are a few very major things that aren't/don't seem connected. The entire decent into Irithyll and seeing all the things that revolve around
Pontiff
, but then where the game started and ended being up top in Lothric and the king's refusal and all the stuff surrounding that extended family. Like there could have been a whole game revolving around either thing.

Also Irithyll itself was beautiful but it really didn't have the same "this feels like it could be a real city and not just a guided tour through a video game level" feel that even other areas in the game had, let alone what Yharnam had.

Manu

So I got invaded by two Aldrich Faithful right after the Pontiff fight. Somehow I managed to fight them off, and when I was about to kill one of them, they both healed.

THEY FUCKING HEALED.

It was already a 2 vs 1 thing, why do you have to heal as well. What the fuck happened to manners?

Defuser

So I got invaded by two Aldrich Faithful right after the Pontiff fight. Somehow I managed to fight them off, and when I was about to kill one of them, they both healed.

THEY FUCKING HEALED.

It was already a 2 vs 1 thing, why do you have to heal as well. What the fuck happened to manners?

Manners? In a invasion? lol This isn't a red soap stone duel you know.

Styles

THEY FUCKING HEALED.

Free-fall-all when it comes to covenant invasions like WoF and AF, TBH.

Guys, I need some clarification before I continue

Can I talk/start Rosarias fingers? I got the
cat ring from Sirris after invading her world
. If I can, will it affect ANYTHING be it endings/items etc? I am trying to get as many things as possible in one go, I didnt talk to rosaira because I heard sirris quest line is conflicting. Am I 100% in the clear?

Before I send out geriat(sp) the merchant, what do I need to do in order to ensure he lives? patches does not have the onion armor anymore.

Thanks !

ps. How far am I?

For Rosaria's Fingers quest,
you have to complete the ENTIRE Sirris quest before equipping the Covenant item, respeccing, changing your appearance or handing in a Pale Tongue to Rosaria. Doing any of these things auto-fails Sirris' quest no matter how far you are into it. You have to complete her quest completely before you can do Rosaria quests, or miss them until the next playthrough.

THEY FUCKING HEALED.

It's an invasion. They get to use whatever means they have to win, and so do you. Give POS invaders no quarter, summon help, pop Giant Tree seeds, have Way of Blue on so they get bluebro'd, all of it. Punish them for ever stepping into your world. Duels where you do a summon sign, they should IMO follow a bit of etiquette as the Souls community has kind of come to expect it in those scenarios.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom