• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT2| Welcome to NG+, Unkindled One

Status
Not open for further replies.

MilkBeard

There is something that seemed odd about the story/lore makeup of the game. Like there are a few very major things that aren't/don't seem connected. The entire decent into Irithyll and seeing all the things that revolve around
Pontiff
, but then where the game started and ended being up top in Lothric and the king's refusal and all the stuff surrounding that extended family. Like there could have been a whole game revolving around either thing.

Also Irithyll itself was beautiful but it really didn't have the same "this feels like it could be a real city and not just a guided tour through a video game level" feel that even other areas in the game had, let alone what Yharnam had.

The benefit of the design in Yharnam is that the entire game felt like you were visiting areas within it. They decided to go the route of 'many different, smaller locales' for Dark Souls 3, instead of having one main location that only gets changed up a few times (Nightmare Frontier and Cainhurst Castle in Bloodborne). Sometimes I wish they would have gone the Bloodborne route for Dark Souls 3, but instead they wanted to fit a larger variety of places. In some ways it's refreshing, but sometimes you feel that the best areas should have been focused on, like Irithyl and perhaps Profained Capital as well. There was a lot more room for depth in those areas, in my opinion.

So I got invaded by two Aldrich Faithful right after the Pontiff fight. Somehow I managed to fight them off, and when I was about to kill one of them, they both healed.

THEY FUCKING HEALED.

It was already a 2 vs 1 thing, why do you have to heal as well. What the fuck happened to manners?

You can't expect fairness on the auto invasion covenants at all. I tried it for a while but kept running into guys that just ran and summoned new people over and over. As AF you get a max of like 1 pal with you and half the estus as the host so if you let the opportunity pass you the host can and will just keep summoning help and running away.

Even so I still don't heal in pvp unless the other person does first or there is more then one person trying to kill me.

Maddrical

Nameless King
has to be one of the most epic fights in this series, jeez. I only had two attempts so he's not down yet but the arena & fight are crazy epic. I'm wondering if he's the last boss I have remaining.

Super excited for the DLC, shame it'll be quite a while away. Also can't wait to finally play this on PC, I didn't have any problems with how it performed on PS4 unlike a lot of people but having it run silky smooth on PC will be glorious. Going to start a depraved run and build into a bow wielder with dual wield daggers, the quick step ability seems kind of OP from what I tested?

I think I completed the game without finding a single "quest" NPC outside of
Firelink Shrine
, somehow.

The benefit of the design in Yharnam is that the entire game felt like you were visiting areas within it. They decided to go the route of 'many different, smaller locales' for Dark Souls 3, instead of having one main location that only gets changed up a few times (Nightmare Frontier and Cainhurst Castle in Bloodborne). Sometimes I wish they would have gone the Bloodborne route for Dark Souls 3, but instead they wanted to fit a larger variety of places. In some ways it's refreshing, but sometimes you feel that the best areas should have been focused on, like Irithyl and perhaps Profained Capital as well. There was a lot more room for depth in those areas, in my opinion.

Profaned Capital was really small for such a major area. It also didn't have the benefit that
Anor Londo had in that, yeah it's small but you get the realization that Irithyll itself is what became of the rest of it the city and it's not all just background.

It does sound like I'm talking down about the game, but I still think it was a step in the right direction world building wise from 2. It's hard to do so many areas that matter without it feeling somewhat videogamey and they defiantly did a much better job of it here.

Can someone help me real quick killing those two fuckers guarding the
ballista
in the smoldering lake?

You can run past everything in that area to reach it.
Run past the side of it, and enter through the back to turn off the ballista.
They shouldn't follow you in.

MilkBeard

Profaned Capital was really small for such a major area. It also didn't have the benefit that
Anor Londo had in that, yeah it's small but you get the realization that Irithyll itself is what became of the rest of it the city and it's not all just background.

It does sound like I'm talking down about the game, but I still think it was a step in the right direction world building wise from 2. It's hard to do so many areas that matter without it feeling somewhat videogamey and they defiantly did a much better job of it here.

It's definitely fair criticism. Some of the areas are lacking in scope because of the nature of the game wanting to have a large variety of locales.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
So I got invaded by two Aldrich Faithful right after the Pontiff fight. Somehow I managed to fight them off, and when I was about to kill one of them, they both healed.

THEY FUCKING HEALED.

It was already a 2 vs 1 thing, why do you have to heal as well. What the fuck happened to manners?

lol ganker covenants have no manners. Didnt you ever play in the belltowers in 2?

Kazaam

Finally got the platinum tonight. For some reason NK gave me a harder time on NG++ than any other playthrough.

1_zpshmbdqnlj.png

Nice to see it added to the collection. Now time to go back to the fight club...

To be fair, he's also a cool bro that co-authored the DS2 & BB official strategy guides. Maybe not a YouTube superstar, but definitely a superstar in this community.

Agreed. ENB has earned effusive praise. From the Dark is probably the best, most informative playthrough of Dark Souls out there, but his thing is totally different than what speedrunners are doing.

Dear "sunbros" who sit at the sidelines and watch me fight instead of doing your job.

Fuck You.

Anyway... One swing away from killing DSA aaaaand...

"FRAMERATE UNSUITABLE FOR ONLINE PLAY"

Classy.

EDIT:

ENB? Are we talking about that Russian guy who made a bunch of unoptimized graphics mods locked to DX9 that the Bethesda fandom obsesses over?

Zekes!

I'm thinking of going for the Platinum trophy...I'm on my first run with about 50 something percent of the trophies. Is there any good trophy guides out there?

pa22word

Much like the endings in the other games, we will never likely know and there probably isn't even a "canon" ending.
Personally if this is the last game I think the darkness ending is canon this time around. After all, end of the series means the cycle has to end, right? End of fire begets age of man. At least that's what I like to think >.>

Eusis

- Killed lightning spear mimic as it killed me in Sen's on my first DS playthrough, didn't get it and was devastated.
I have a sadder/funnier example, in that the mimic leapt backwards down a pit and died that way. Maybe reloading the game would've remedied things and frankly there's better weapons to get in the long run, but it's like some sort of sick taunt.

How, how, how, how the bloody hell can anyone reliably farm 30 covenant items for Blue Sentinels/Blades of the Dark Moon and the 30 Wolf's Blood Swordgrasses for Watchdog of Farron for related trophies?

HOW.

I have always preferred Vaati or silver mont for lore. Like I said I don't mind Marcus but to me he's just another guy, not some sort of deity...no one deserves that much status and it puts a lot of pressure on people to get it. I think Marcus really enjoys not being part of the guide this time so that he can I deed enjoy a blind playthrough. Our society is doing better with this aspect, TV and movie stars are still the rage but you tube did a lot to take a piece of their Godliness.... For example Randy Rhodes was an awesone player ....who is now emulated and even surpassed by x number of 13 year od girls on you tube...its awesome.

If anything Vaati is the one that gets treated like some sort of "deity" with "that much status."

Also, unrelated: whoever designed the sidequests for this game need to be slapped and pounded with Fume. So many times so bloody vague with no good reason at all. OH YOU DON'T THINK TO CHECK THAT AREA OR TALK TO THAT CHARACTER IN THAT HIDDEN AREA AFTER SOME VAGUE PROGRESS THAT WE DON'T BOTHER TELLING YOU ABOUT? WELL FUCK YOU THEN. Sigh.

Toxi

Banned
LOL EpicNameBro bugged out the
Patches
quest.
Patches appeared in Firelink Shrine as a shopkeeper without EpicNameBro ever meeting him beforehand.

p3n

Patches
quest.
Patches appeared in Firelink Shrine as a shopkeeper without EpicNameBro ever meeting him beforehand.

He kinda did meet him....twice. He just boned back from the tower both times. He even had the closing door ON SCREEN. But yeah, it would be better if there was at least a witty one-liner so you actually notice him even while not really paying attention.

Toxi

Banned
He kinda did meet him....twice. He just boned back from the tower both times. He even had the closing door ON SCREEN. But yeah, it would be better if there was at least a witty one-liner so you actually notice him even while not really paying attention.
Huh. I missed him boning from the tower, though he did descend from it the first time without
Patches appearing
(I'm guessing that was because he hadn't reached the Cathedral of the Deep yet).

Spacejaws

Patches
quest.

That happened to me too...someone told me you are supposed to meet him in the cathedral but he showed up in firelink for me. Spefically closing the door to the tower.

2AdEPT

Can someone help me real quick killing those two fuckers guarding the
ballista
in the smoldering lake?

I just run by them.

edit:
ALso trying to get my new avatar to show up with no background? Someone else on here just did it for me with Paarl but didnt let me know how to do it?!!?!?

MilkBeard

Man they really fucked up scythes and fist weapons in this game. And axes. My poor Bandit Axe.

As someone who loved using a scythe in Dark Souls 1, I think the Great Scythe is still a very viable weapon in Dark Souls 3. The damage output is a little bit lower, but it has some great advantages, including having an attack radius that is one of the best in the game. I have finished a few people in pvp running past people using the wide sidesweeping attack. If you max a Scythe with Sharp or Hollow, it does pretty well.

----

And on to something else: Sunlight Blade posted a new video, and it's really cool. Video spoilered for those who don't want to be spoiled:

This video makes me want to try out the
Lautrec
armor, it looks really cool in game.

TitusTroy

for the get all gestures achievement does it count over multiple playthroughs or does it have to be in 1 play?...with the get all rings achievement it can't be done in 1 play right?

Wow, I invaded three different 3v3s at the first I
rithyll
bonfire and they were all absolutely wild. The host and his phantoms were very well equipped (heavy weapons and the third had a greatbow) so they wound up winning the first one but the reds prevailed in the other two. Chaotic invasions are definitely my favourite in this game, I'm kind of sick of duels after doing so many in Dark Souls 2.

Ferr986

Personally if this is the last game I think
the darkness
ending is canon this time around. After all, end of the series means the cycle has to end, right? End of fire begets age of man. At least that's what I like to think >.>

No one is. They never has been in the series. You just choose whatever ending you want. Every ending is viable story wise.

Zoidberg

Thought I was doing OK farming proof of concords until I hit a 1.6 million soul gap in between proofs, which I worked out to be 118 knights without a drop (at 382 discovery). I've got enough souls stockpiled from farming these proofs to go from SL120 to 172, with 6 more to farm.

MeanArrow

Neo Member
I finally tried out some of the covenants, but Aldrich (and Sunbros for Boss Coop) is the only one that works well for me. I'm SL around 60/70 and get summoned every 10-15 seconds, it's crazy. I sometimes struggle to remove the covenant emblem fast enough to leave an area before being summoned again :D
I wish there were similar covenants for other areas that work that easy.

konjak

Patches
quest.

This was my first playthrough. He was just there, acting like he did something bad to me.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
A
nor Londo
is a big fat mess
RIP giant smithy D:

Kazaam

Thought I was doing OK farming proof of concords until I hit a 1.6 million soul gap in between proofs, which I worked out to be 118 knights without a drop (at 382 discovery). I've got enough souls stockpiled from farming these proofs to go from SL120 to 172, with 6 more to farm.

One thing I found very useful for me on PS4 was reloading the game (quitting to Main Menu then pressing Continue) every 3 rounds (3 bonfire sit downs). I almost always got a proof of concord in those 3 rounds using this method... giving me around 10 proofs per half hour (to bad I discovered this after farming hundreds and hundreds of knights for my first 20 proofs). Also my item discovery was 400 using
Covetous Gold Serpent Ring, Crystal Sage's Rapier, Rusted Coins and of course Symbol of Avarice.
. Hope this helps..

EDIT:
Any other way to advance
Aldrich
covenant since I never get summoned?

You can farm human dregs from the deacons before (boss and location spoiler)
Aldrich's room in Anor Londo
. With enough item discovery shouldn't be too hard to farm those..

Zoidberg

Any other way to advance Aldrich covenant since I never get summoned?

All the deacons (guys in robes that shoot fireballs) around Anor Londo have a small chance at dropping Human Dregs.

Fastest way I've found was to spawn at Aldrich bonfire and kill the 8 outside the door and up the stairs and reset.

Zoidberg

One thing I found very useful for me on PS4 was reloading the game (quitting to Main Menu then pressing Continue) every 3 rounds (3 bonfire sit downs). I almost always got a proof of concord in those 3 rounds using this method... giving me around 10 proofs per half hour (to bad I discovered this after farming hundreds and hundreds of knights for my first 20 proofs). Also my item discovery was 400 using
Covetous Gold Serpent Ring, Crystal Sage's Rapier, Rusted Coins and of course Symbol of Avarice.
. Hope this helps..

Will try it tonight, thanks. It felt like I must have hit some limit, because I was getting 1 every ~6-10 rounds prior to that and it just went dry.

Kazaam

Will try it tonight, thanks. It felt like I must have hit some limit, because I was getting 1 every ~6-10 rounds prior to that and it just went dry.

Yeah, I think there's a bottleneck happening somehow because after getting a proof of concord I could try and farm and not get anything for another hour continuously. Once I would quit the game and get back in, I would almost immediately get one.

I guess a large part of my issue with the Nameless King came down to me trying him at SL 50, because I just one shotted him in NG+ at SL 120. Although to be fair I'm running deep protection and sacred oath at the same time which is super silly.

Dropped my Lothric Knight Greatsword for the Dragonslayer Spear for PVP and I've been winning every match so far. Paired with Leo Ring + Knight Slayer's Ring + Carthus Milkring + Lightning Clutch and it's such a devastating build (36/36 STR/DEX at the moment at +5). The reach is deceptively good, plus that weapon art is GODLY!

pupcoffee

Are people actually using their shields? My first playthrough, I dodged 2/3 of attacks. Now I'm blocking and the game is clicking with me way more. You can block more than you'd think.

If anyone has a Cathus Curved Greatsword they are willing to drop send me a tell (PSN: Puggsly). I can offer in return ANY ring, or most armor or weapons. Much appreciated. Even if you don't have items I can drop rings or armor. XD

Are people actually using their shields? My first playthrough, I dodged 2/3 of attacks. Now I'm blocking and the game is clicking with me way more. You can block more than you'd think.

I had a shield all my way through the game, but I only started blocking bosses since P
ontiff Sulyvahn
. For some reason I thought that bosses cannot be blocked. And when I see people parries him, it blew my mind.

I mostly dodge now though. After a while, shield feels cheap? Almost made the game too easy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom