• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT2| Welcome to NG+, Unkindled One

Status
Not open for further replies.

test_account

XP-39C²

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Can't wait to get
Faaram Armor set
. My favorite armor set in the series, was spoiled to me by one of the loading screens, but I'm glad it's in the game.

Sullichin

Enjoying NG+ and doing bosses in a totally different order. There's also summon signs by every bonfire which is cool. And constant invasions

Negaduck

What's the benefit of Dex 30?

Building heavy weapons guy and just got 30 str. Plan to use ultra great swords and maces.

Should I increase HP next or focus on Stam?

Manu

Can't wait to get
Faaram Armor set
. My favorite armor set in the series, was spoiled to me by one of the loading screens, but I'm glad it's in the game.

And it looks beautiful in this game too thanks to the metal actually looking like metal and the improved cloth physics. I've been rocking it since I got it.

Chorazin

Building heavy weapons guy and just got 30 str. Plan to use ultra great swords and maces.

Dex isn't gonna really do anything if you're working on strength weapons. Build Stamina instead, IMO.

Quoting myself for new page and a question. Approximately how long is this game, for most? I generally take my time, and in Souls games suck at first but then fly through them. I wanna know mostly to let the game last, and not just fly through it.

Are there a small amount of areas/levels with massive maps, or just a lot of small areas (i.e. like the first Ash Cemetery level)

I'm 45 hours in and I just downed Yhorm

No benefit unless you plan to use a weapon that scales from it.

Focus on HP, but don't forget giving some points to stamina if you plan to use heavy weapons

how much vigor is needed to fashion souls correctly? I'm also assuming you need havel's ring and the prisoner ring as well?

Depends of the armor and it's weight.

Oh, so thats what the Hollow Gem does? How much does it add when being hollow level 1 and 99?

I think you have to reach hollowed state, 15, for the bonus to kick in. I think is fixed you don't get more points aftet reaching hollowed state.

Get'sMad

Some jamoke I invaded sent me a string of angry messages last night because I didn't directly engage him and his gank squad head on. It was 4 v 1 and he used a seed so I decided to get my troll on and stalked them for awhile and watched them from a spot I hid at with a branch. Instead of like actually trying to progress in the area, the GA, they frantically searched for me for a half hour before he sent me one last rage message and then disconnected. It was beautiful.

Minamu

Haven't played in a few days now. Have they done anything to fix darkmoons/farron/aldritch (better drop rates/better connectivity)? Can you farm those with a friend somehow?

Depends of the armor and it's weight.

I think you have to reach hollowed state, 15, for the bonus to kick in. I think is fixed you don't get more points aftet reaching hollowed state.

ok I assumed there was a difference in rollings based on weight % in the groups (like 40% medium roll was better than 69.9% medium roll)

Lakitu

st5fu
No, you just have to pay your current level-up price for the levels you took.

You'll still look Hollow and retain Hollowing lvls until you use a purging stone, though.

was he talking about Hollowing levels or do you mean the actual Soul levels?

I mean soul levels. I leveled up 5 times with the dark sigil and if I cure it, that doesn't cure my hollowing? So if I use a purging stone to get rid of the hollowing, will that remove the dark sigil?

Keep in mind that Hollowing only adds the extra points for hollowing weapons, you will still get luck scaling even if you are not hollowed, and Anri's sword does not get the bonus to luck from hollowing.

ok I assumed there was a difference in rollings based on weight % in the groups (like 40% medium roll was better than 69.9% medium roll)

That's what I mean, if you want to stay in fast roll ,69,9%, you need to consider armor weight, alongside weapon and all.

You need like 60 vigor points, for a havel cosplay while keeping fast roll.

LiK

I mean soul levels. I leveled up 5 times with the dark sigil and if I cure it, that doesn't cure my hollowing? So if I use a purging stone to get rid of the hollowing, will that remove the dark sigil?

Soul levels are safe. It'll cure your Hollowing and anything related to it. If you only use a Purging stone, you keep Dark Sigil but get rid of looking like a raisin and resets Hollowing level, I think. You'll retain a dark black complexion tho.

DPB

So what is the best way to kill
Old Demon King
with a 100% pyromancy character? NG++++ so i have all the spells.

Also is there a sword that is good for 50 FTH 50 INT?

Poison mist works really well there.

Longsword, Broadsword, and Dark Sword all end up with B scaling with Chaos infusion. Astora Greatsword gets A, but it's an ultra greatsword so it's a lot slower and uses much more stamina.

Negaduck

Awesome, thanks for all the info guys.

Should I continue to put points in str past 30? Or are stats more about hitting the requirements rather than getting those big ass numbers kinda like how mmo's scale with stats.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member

You keep the Soul levels (you're paying for them by curing the sigil).

No, I'm pretty sure you have to specifically cure the sigils. Purging stones just reset you hollow level, I think.

DPB

That's what I mean, if you want to stay in fast roll ,69,9%, you need to consider armor weight, alongside weapon and all.

You need like 60 vigor points, for a havel cosplay while keeping fast roll.

Don't you both mean vitality? You don't get any more equip load from raising vigor.

knitoe

If I use a purging stone will I piss off Yuria? I'm tired of being ugly.

Purging stone just reset your hollow lvl to 0. If you start dying, the hollow lvl will go up again and you will turn ugly once more. It doesn't get rid of the dark sigil so it's fine with Yuria.

Manu

Purging stone just reset your hollow lvl to 0. If you start dying, the hollow lvl will go up again and you will turn ugly once more. It doesn't get rid of the dark sigil so it's fine with Yuria.

Wait, so I actually have to pay up to remove the Dark Sigil? I don't even want to think about how much it's going to cost me in NG++.

Soulhouf

I agree completely. Dark Souls 3 really feels like Demon's Souls 2 a lot of the time. To make a list of things:

- Movement speed, general physics (attacking, generous dodging, etc.)
- Auto-revival after a boss (or helping as a phantom)
- HP reduction when non-embered + as a phantom
- No poise
- Useless heavy armour xD
- Mana bar for magic
- Estoc being OP in PvP xD
- Dual kats returning
-
Stormruler
-
Morion Blade
- Luck stat + Blueblood Sword vs Anri's Straight Sword
- Scholar's Candlestick = Kris Blade
- Evangelists reminiscent of Fat Ministers
- Gauntlet of enemies before L&L very reminiscent 1-3 before Penetrator fight
- Red-eyed knight, difficult optional enemy in starting area
- Firelink very reminiscent of the Nexus
- Irithyll Dungeon reminiscent of Latria prison
- High Wall of Lothric/Lothric Castle reminiscent of Boletarian Palace (far more than Undead Burg/Parish)
- Firekeeper "Then touch the darkness within me", vs Maiden in Black "Then touch the demon inside me"
- Gimmick bosses being more common
-
Yuria'
s assassination request reminiscent of Mephistopheles's sidequest, plus they even stand similarly
- Speaking of which, a character actually called
Yuria
again xD

Anything else I might be forgetting?

* Yes I know about the black knight in Undead Burg but note how this one specifically has the glowing red eyes from Demon's Souls, indicating he's more dangerous than regular enemies.

Yep, that's exactly what i wanted to say but you've put it into better words. Thank you!

I would add to the list:

- Second chance which is nerfed but works exactly like in Demon's Souls
- Miracles being more for defense than attack. I see many people complain because miracles are no longer viable as an offensive magic but I'm glad we have more variety in spells rather than just pick your color but they do the same thing.
- Weapons upgrade paths
-
Ancient Dragon Greatshield = Adjucator Shield
- Farron Keep is the closest to 5-2 Dark Souls ever got.
- The battle against
Yhorm with Siegward very reminiscent of the battle against Penetrator with Biorr
- Red ghosts that represent the last seconds of a player's life

TBH I didn't expect to see so many similarities with Demon's Souls of all things.

Gestahl

Morne's Great Hammer is some of the funniest shit in the game. Two shotting NG++ Darkwraiths with that AOE they can't do shit about. Probably not practical for any of the more vicious bosses but fun to have around nonetheless

Also those feral Ghru fuckers are easily one of the worst enemies in the game. Half second grab they can move into on a dime, jumping up 10 feet while you're hitting them, absolutely miserable assholes. Thank god there's only 4 or 5 of them in the game

Continuing my new character run, last night I beat P
ontiff
and Y
horm
, and this morning I beat A
ldrich
. Unlike my first run, I've beat every boss solo this time. I'm proud of myself man... I couldn't even get past A
byss
W
atchers
by myself last time.

That said, P
ontiff
is a total asshole. Between co-op and solo I've probably fought him 50 times, and I still can't time his combos properly. In all those fights I successfully landed maybe 5 parries. The way he mixes up fast and delayed hits, strings together combos with nearly endless stamina, and can land hits almost 360 degrees around himself make him a real sonofabitch to fight. Because of that, I spent 5+ hours helping other people beat him as a Sunbro phantom. Y
horm
and A
ldrich
were absolute cakewalks compared to him! I beat both of them on my first try, much to my surprise.

Tonight I fight D
ancer
. Wish me luck... I'm gonna need it.

Kyne

So I read this:

If all the mimics in the game have been killed, the Symbol of Avarice should be present at the location of the last mimic killed.

Any truth to it? It never dropped for me and I figured I'd go make sure I killed them all if it's true..

Continuing my new character run, last night I beat P
ontiff
and Y
horm
, and this morning I beat A
ldrich
. Unlike my first run, I've beat every boss solo this time. I'm proud of myself man... I couldn't even get past A
byss
W
atchers
by myself last time.

That said, P
ontiff
is a total asshole. Between co-op and solo I've probably fought him 50 times, and I still can't time his combos properly. In all those fights I successfully landed maybe 5 parries. The way he mixes up fast and delayed hits, strings together combos with nearly endless stamina, and can land hits almost 360 degrees around himself make him a real sonofabitch to fight. Because of that, I spent 5+ hours helping other people beat him as a Sunbro phantom. Y
horm
and A
ldrich
were absolute cakewalks compared to him! I beat both of them on my first try, much to my surprise.

Tonight I fight D
ancer
. Wish me luck... I'm gonna need it.

Parrying tip for
Pontiff
:

His opening lunge/jump attack is easy to parry. After that, run away from him and bait him to do the same attack. (though be aware that the timing for the opening attack requires a slightly later parry than when he does the same attack later in the fight) He'll also do that attack in phase 2, but his phantom does it first. So rolling under the phantom version then parrying immediately out of the roll usually nails the timing for parrying the real version.

I had no idea you could summon more than one person and there were computer red guys until now.

Noob question:
White player = good?
Red = bad?
What about blue, gold and purple?

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
So I read this:

If all the mimics in the game have been killed, the Symbol of Avarice should be present at the location of the last mimic killed.

Any truth to it? It never dropped for me and I figured I'd go make sure I killed them all if it's true..

On all 3 characters I've made I got it
off the very first mimic in Lothric under the dragon.
Guess I'm just lucky.

Gestahl

So I read this:

Sounds like bullshit. I'd just buy a bunch of charms and spam them on any that are still alive until it drops. There's always NG+ if they're all dead

Minamu

So I read this:

It was true in ds1 at least, not sure about ds2. You must've missed one, I got two symbols on my first journey.

I had no idea you could summon more than one person and there were computer red guys until now.

Noob question:
White player = good?
Red = bad?
What about blue, gold and purple?

Blue is good. Auto-summon when invaded by red, if you wear the Way of Blue covenant.
Gold is good.
Purple can be either.

JDB

Banned
Fucking Aldrich man. That arrow attack that never lasts a consistent amount of time combined with other attacks is sooo fucking annoying. In my normal run it wasn't really an issues because I could defeat him before he did many attacks, but on my SL1 character I need to go through these waves of attacks several times which makes him really shitty to deal with. The Pontiff was rough as well, but at least he was fun to fight against, this is just frustrating.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom