• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT2| Welcome to NG+, Unkindled One

Status
Not open for further replies.

Syder

Anyone else think the Flamberge is any good? Started a new build with it but I'm torn between using it or the Exile Greatsword.

Dimmle

I'm going for a knight with some bow usage, no magic probably for my first DS3 playthrough. I should be paying attention to Vigor which i have it at 14 now, Endurance - 12, Strength - 16, Vitality - 16 and Dexterity - 15 right?

Oh and that dragon in High wall of Lothric, he seems damn strong. I could buy a ton of arrows and eventually kill him from a far, but is that worth it at all?

Do it, you get some good loot.

GulAtiCa

Anyone else think the Flamberge is any good? Started a new build with it but I'm torn between using it or the Exile Greatsword.

I really liked it. To make it more effective, up your Luck stat to increase Bleed rate chance.

I eventually went back to a Claymore with Chaos infusion (for better attack stats/scale) since I didn't plan to increase my Luck stat at all.

I think I'll eventually make a Bleed build and use the Flamberge again. Just not as a Pyro (or, maybe a 25/25 pyro instead of 40/40 or 35/35 pyro)

Just beat
Prince Lothric
. What should I do before wrapping up NG? I've finished all optional areas, but I'm wondering what collectables/quests I should go after before moving on to NG+.

When you move onto NG+, do the tallies of how many covenant items you've turned in get reset? I'm wondering if I should go farming for some stuff now.

Soulhouf

True but I do wish Lightning Spear weren't so utterly useless.

True. What they could do to Lightning Spear is add kind of paralyzing effect or something like that. Make it unique rather than just another nuke to do damage.

I guess. It reminds me more of DS2's infusions, but I guess the Sharp/Heavy gems are reminiscent of DeS, it just uses the far superior infusion mechanic.

The mechanic itself is DS2 with the simplified process, which isn't a bad thing but with the far superior builds. Heavy/Sharp/Quality/Blessed/Crescent. All these awesome upgrade paths from Demon's Souls are back. I think some of them still need some readjustment but the idea is there and the scaling OMG works a lot better than it did in DS2.

Good ones. I noticed the shield resemblance too, but forgot to mention it. I think Blighttown is closer to Valley of Defilement myself, though. The first part being all rickety wooden structures and pitfalls, the second part being the mobility-limiting poison swamp with slugs and club-wielding assholes and reduced visibility.

The thing with the lower part of Blighttown is that it's very small and you can run through it and pick up every item pretty quickly which is not the case in Farron Keep. But I agree with the rest.

Really? I recognized the place instantly. And I knew something was going to happen because I saw all those bloodstains so I just used a homeward bone to refill my estus, cash my souls and returned there ready and sure enough the boss showed up.

I had the same reflex but after the cut scene -> quit -> reload. I guess we are so used to these games now haha.

Another Demon's Souls throwback I haven't seen mentioned:
being able to transpose the swords of both princes into a single one, like the Northern Regalia.

Seriously? Holy shit. I didn't know that!

Ame

Just beat
Prince Lothric
. What should I do before wrapping up NG? I've finished all optional areas, but I'm wondering what collectables/quests I should go after before moving on to NG+.

When you move onto NG+, do the tallies of how many covenant items you've turned in get reset? I'm wondering if I should go farming for some stuff now.

All the covenant stuff carries over into NG+.

Vee_One

Just finished the game, and this was my first real experience with the stream controller (bought it with the bundle on sale). Incredible. Such a steep learning curve coming off using a dual stick controller for the last 15+ years, but so worth it. The mapping, which allows you to have roll on the left flap and item on the right flap, you never take your thumb off the steering. Its absolutely incredible to be able to flick and look a boss right in the face, instead of pushing a direction on a stick. If there was ever a game that sold me on the steam controller, it was this one.

Oh awesome. My steam controller import arrived whilst I was finishing the game and deliberately held off plugging it in because I looked at it and thought "no way this works better than the xbone controller for dark souls"

Will have to try it with Dark Souls now

Oh damn, they put a cap on the maximum arrows you can carry now? I can only carry 99 wood arrows now, so much for offing mister dragon early. :(

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Haven't even watched the video and I agree completely. :)

Nah poise like DS2 would be better. Also hopefully the damage and stamina usage on the spam weapons gets nerfed. And they do something for the axes and hammers that dont get hyperarmor weapon arts.

I really hate how they nerfed the ability to animation cancel with backstep. It feels like such a bad option now. You used to be able to play awesome mind games with it.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Oh damn, they put a cap on the maximum arrows you can carry now? I can only carry 99 wood arrows now, so much for offing mister dragon early. :(

Just get gerait freed and buy 99 standard arrows and run up to the door under the dragon and let him kill everything. Then shoot him in the talon thats clinging to the side of the building.

You could still get 99 of multiple types of arrows :)

Finally beat the game, not sure how I feel about it. It was good, but I guess I kinda felt like it was gonna be better? Final boss was pretty cool, really enjoyed it actually.

AJLma

Just finished the game, and this was my first real experience with the stream controller (bought it with the bundle on sale). Incredible. Such a steep learning curve coming off using a dual stick controller for the last 15+ years, but so worth it. The mapping, which allows you to have roll on the left flap and item on the right flap, you never take your thumb off the steering. Its absolutely incredible to be able to flick and look a boss right in the face, instead of pushing a direction on a stick. If there was ever a game that sold me on the steam controller, it was this one.

I've been playing with the Steam Controller the whole game as well, at first I thought it'd be impossible, now I can't imagine going back to sticks. The flaps on the back are crucial for me now. I use them to swap left/right hands during combat. Although sometimes I want them to be magic/item, or dodge/item like you said.

Rutti

Fuck this shit. I just killed 90 silver knights with 400 item discovery and got 1 proof.

Edit: After 150 I had 6. So little better. 14 to go...

Zocano

So um....this is a thing: https://youtu.be/diYRsPEVNQU

Mid-ish game boss spoiler.

Yah I had no idea the buffs stacked that much. Crazy. I hope they don't patch it, though :/ It's fun to have weird crazy set ups or even,"OP" stuff. It's why I wish they didn't neuter poise. It was a different build opportunity that was made available.

Also the video reminded me again that I wish they didn't fuck over hyper mode as hard as they have. Demon's Morion Blade I will always remember you.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Yah I had no idea the buffs stacked that much. Crazy. I hope they don't patch it, though :/ It's fun to have weird crazy set ups or even,"OP" stuff. It's why I wish they didn't neuter poise. It was a different build opportunity that was made available.

Also the video reminded me again that I wish they didn't fuck over hyper mode as hard as they have. Demon's Morion Blade I will always remember you.

They had that in DS2. DS2 was made better when they nerfed the shit out of it.

Just get gerait freed and buy 99 standard arrows and run up to the door under the dragon and let him kill everything. Then shoot him in the talon thats clinging to the side of the building.

That's the person in the jail cell in High wall of Lothric? Haven't found the key to that yet but I also haven't completely explored this location yet.

You could still get 99 of multiple types of arrows :)

Finally beat the game, not sure how I feel about it. It was good, but I guess I kinda felt like it was gonna be better? Final boss was pretty cool, really enjoyed it actually.

Sadly she only has wood arrows and standard bolts right now.

Was exploring IOTBV and wading through some water towards some distant shore when i heard something behind me. I started running and thought "Should i turn around and see what that is?" Just then i got eaten.

YOU DIED

OMGOL

franzer

Oh awesome. My steam controller import arrived whilst I was finishing the game and deliberately held off plugging it in because I looked at it and thought "no way this works better than the xbone controller for dark souls"

Will have to try it with Dark Souls now

Like i said, there's a learning curve, you will hate it at first haha. The first boss while trying to get muscle memory to use the flap for roll made me feel like i had never played a game in my life.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
So the Sword Master drops the uchi, but uses the
Chaos Blade
? On my newest character I wanted to do the
dancer
early so I used the summon trick, and
he lost 6 hp every time he swung
haha. At some point he was at half-health because it takes so long for him to kill the boss, but fortunately he used Estus.

True. What they could do to Lightning Spear is add kind of paralyzing effect or something like that. Make it unique rather than just another nuke to do damage.
That's a really good idea!

The mechanic itself is DS2 with the simplified process, which isn't a bad thing but with the far superior builds. Heavy/Sharp/Quality/Blessed/Crescent. All these awesome upgrade paths from Demon's Souls are back. I think some of them still need some readjustment but the idea is there and the scaling OMG works a lot better than it did in DS2.
Oh I don't completely agree with the bolded bit. The Blessed and Crescent equivalent are complete crap. Well okay, I haven't used Simple infusions yet, but Blessed just... sucks this time around. The damage is complete crap and the HP regen is too low to be worth the trade-off. :(

Seriously? Holy shit. I didn't know that!
Yeah I didn't either. Huh...

Man, the hollow bleed build is easily the most effective of my 5 playthroughs. Some of the bosses went down so easy.

Final boss: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdLnTElQYpA
Wow that is crazy good! Really makes me want to try it. Especially since I want to make a dual scimitars build for... reasons (it's why I got the
dancer
early but holy crap her swords seem really crappy :( it's perfect for my cosplay idea though...), so I might re-spec and switch to that. How high was your luck, str/dex?

Sane_Man

Wow that is crazy good! Really makes me want to try it. Especially since I want to make a dual scimitars build for... reasons (it's why I got the
dancer
early but holy crap her swords seem really crappy :( it's perfect for my cosplay idea though...), so I might re-spec and switch to that. How high was your luck, str/dex?

Luck - 30 (up to 40 with hollowed +10 Warden Blades and hollowed +10 shield on my back)
Strength - 18 (to use the washing pole for PVP, no other reason to have it that high)
Dex - 20 (+5 with the dex ring)

It's a super fun build. I would definitely recommend giving it a try.

You know what. I wonder if the reason I have been doing so awfully bad against most bosses in the game is because I haven't been letting myself fast roll. I always heard the way defense was calculated means you get significant gains even if you have the weakest armor in each slot, but that makes it really hard to fast roll.

DPB

I like that they've given you even more options for infusion compared to DS2, but I really miss being able to infuse boss weapons and ones that upgrade with twinkling titanite. As a pyromancer, almost all of them are useless to me when they can't be buffed or infused.

0racle

You know what. I wonder if the reason I have been doing so awfully bad against most bosses in the game is because I haven't been letting myself fast roll. I always heard the way defense was calculated means you get significant gains even if you have the weakest armor in each slot, but that makes it really hard to fast roll.

I have zero idea on how the armor works in this game. I need help too.

I just beat the pontif and im still wearing the original knight armour....:S

Negaduck

Can you could terms attack after a parry with every item? I use vordt's hammer but have been sticking to the claymore so I can gut em.

Am I overlooking a counter attack with the mace?

tariniel

So I read this:

If all the mimics in the game have been killed, the Symbol of Avarice should be present at the location of the last mimic killed.

Any truth to it? It never dropped for me and I figured I'd go make sure I killed them all if it's true..

Wait is it a rare drop? I got it on the mimic in
Cathedral of the Deep
I think. I thought they made it a guaranteed drop or something.

Mindlog

Woohoo! Beat a boss. Nearly 100k Souls to spend. Lets just take a quick look at this next bonf.... It's not lighting.... Of course. Of course I'm being invaded. I should probably put on some more respectable PvP gear. I have a +10 Dark Blade I hardly ever use. I have plenty of resins to add damage.

Nah, screw that. Let's do this.

Wander into the first room. How do we play this? Time for head games?

Stoic. Easy to stand there looking unperturbed with a two handed Zwei. (very late game area??? The Invader was there for like 20 seconds and I didn't move. I just waited. Video cut for brevity.)

Weapon arts are fun.

Found myself in Ithryll Dungeon. I am really loving the art direction of this whole game. Sometimes this game is very, very colorful! The enemies that shrink your health are def a fright! I love it! Very cool design and the poker is a cool-looking weapon. I actually got one...

I love the sparks that emit whenever you hit a wall/stair! This game looks sooooo good!

Anyone know if the Firekeepers mask/headpiece is obtainable? I could have sworn I saw a video with someone rocking a hood that had the mask but I cannot find it anymore.

Finally beat T
win Princes
of L
othric
(I don't think that's the exact name).

I was so salty at how bad I am at the game but it ended up being a fun fight once I finally learned it.

Now I have to beat N
ameless
K
ing____

Zoidberg

Anyone else invaded around Pontiff only for the host to be behind the fog wall (still in Pontiff's room)? I've had it a few times now, somehow managed to still win a few by using a spear to whittle them down.

Juraash

It's funny how my plans for a Paladin type character went completely astray. Wound up being equal in Str and Dex and running around like an Artorias fanboy with Watcher armor and Old Wolf Great Shield and Greatsword. One of these days I'll stick to a planned build.

Haven't played for a day or two since
Nameless King
and the final boss really turned me off, but having only the final boss to do I came back to it today and beat him first try, which was only about the 5th time I'd fought him any way. The first time, when he went in to his second form (duh, they all have second phases now!) I just turned it off, I needed a break from it all!

Doing these two bosses back to back at the end made it feel like such a slog and soured the latter part of the game for me. I got annoyed at how little time there is in between these (and other) bosses attack patterns. They'll do a huge long combo, then I barely had time for one R1 swing of the Claymore - more often than not I didn't have time and got hit mid-swing, it made some fights really drawn out and frustrating - I can't even imagine what these bosses are like with even slower weapons. Their relentlessness felt like a way of making familiar fights tougher for Souls vets and also an influence from Bloodborne, where the combat is familiar but of course quite different. Maybe I just shouldn't have started with a heavy weapon, not my forte, I just wanted a vanilla build for the first playthrough.

But now I've got that out of the way I feel a weight lifted and I'm itching to get on with a magic/rapier build and get all the trophies. I'm eager to actually do all the NPC questlines, I barely scratched the surface I think - The only questline I finished was Seigward and that was largely by accident.

I do know I have no desire to go back to my initial SL1 run, at least not to do an all bosses run.
Nameless King
at SL1? No thanks, I'll keep my sanity instead!

Overall, I think the game is great - a 'best of' compilation mixtape of the previous games. It didn't better any of the previous games for me except DS2 (obviously) but that's not to say it's second to last place in a race - They're all amazing games, it's just Bloodborne, DeS and DS1 all do something quite unique and special, where as DS3 is the fifth game, what it does it does great - it just wasn't the first to do it.

Those beastly Outrider Knights that freeze you can fuck right off in NG+. Jesus they are harder than some bosses. And I was wearing FULL Outrider Knigth armor set with highest frost resistance possible, jeez. Killing them is a matter of luck for me luckily they do not respawn.

Can you imagine 2 of them at the same time as a boss?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom