• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT2| Welcome to NG+, Unkindled One

Status
Not open for further replies.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
So I read this:

If all the mimics in the game have been killed, the Symbol of Avarice should be present at the location of the last mimic killed.

Any truth to it? It never dropped for me and I figured I'd go make sure I killed them all if it's true..

Nah. It's RNG. I got two or three before I opened
Lothric Castle

Newboi

What's the best tactic for getting the symbol of avarice if your luck level is painfully low (mine is 7)? Do I just pop 4 Gold Coins and pray? Can I get one from a mimic that I already got an item from, but haven't killed?

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
ok... I beat A
ldrich in Anor Londo
, then got transferred to a new boss in a new area
the Dancer of Boreal Valley
and died. Ended up back at the bonfire outside the first boss fight.

the fuck do I get back to the area where I died at the second boss fight lol ?

muh souls

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
ok... I beat A
ldrich in Anor Londo

muh souls

It's
the church across from Vordt where you got the banner and Way of the Blue.

I think it's really dumb the game doesn't make it more obvious because who would remember that? I really dislike the teleportation used here.

Manu

ok... I beat A
ldrich in Anor Londo

muh souls

It's the area where opposite of Vordt, where the old lady (Emma) gave you the small banner at the start of the game.

test_account

XP-39C²
It's

I think it's really dumb the game doesn't make it more obvious because who would remember that? I really dislike the teleportation used here.
True, but you can check around the area before triggering that boss though.

Defuser

Man, INT60 build with all the sorcery boosting items is damn fun to help out fellow players defeating the boss. I just stand there and spammed all my spell nukes, I just took a chunk out of Champion Gundyr with one soul crystal spear and he was dead within less than a minute.

Kyne

On all 3 characters I've made I got it
off the very first mimic in Lothric under the dragon.
Guess I'm just lucky.

Sounds like bullshit. I'd just buy a bunch of charms and spam them on any that are still alive until it drops. There's always NG+ if they're all dead

It was true in ds1 at least, not sure about ds2. You must've missed one, I got two symbols on my first journey.

Nah. It's RNG. I got two or three before I opened
Lothric Castle

yeah.. pretty sure I killed them all with no dice. Damn.

Maybe I can find someone with a spare to trade/donate later tonight. Thanks for the replies guys.

ok... I beat A
ldrich in Anor Londo

muh souls

already answered

Continuing my new character run, last night I beat P
ontiff
and Y
horm
, and this morning I beat A
ldrich
. Unlike my first run, I've beat every boss solo this time. I'm proud of myself man... I couldn't even get past A
byss
W
atchers
by myself last time.

That said, P
ontiff
is a total asshole. Between co-op and solo I've probably fought him 50 times, and I still can't time his combos properly. In all those fights I successfully landed maybe 5 parries. The way he mixes up fast and delayed hits, strings together combos with nearly endless stamina, and can land hits almost 360 degrees around himself make him a real sonofabitch to fight. Because of that, I spent 5+ hours helping other people beat him as a Sunbro phantom. Y
horm
and A
ldrich
were absolute cakewalks compared to him! I beat both of them on my first try, much to my surprise.

Tonight I fight D
ancer
. Wish me luck... I'm gonna need it.

I'm doing this right now as well, my first character used Sellsword Twinblades and Sorceries, but this new one is a basic ass knight.

My tip for you on D
ancer
is to
get ALL up in that shit, I had a lot of issues (my first hard boss on this new run), but once I stopped trying to back away and run from the spinning attacks in the second phase and basically just try to roll and strafe around to her ass, everything went a LOT better. Good Luck!

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
It's

It's the area where opposite of Vordt, where the old lady (Emma) gave you the small banner at the start of the game.

Thanks! slayed, souls restoreed

What's the best tactic for getting the symbol of avarice if your luck level is painfully low (mine is 7)? Do I just pop 4 Gold Coins and pray? Can I get one from a mimic that I already got an item from, but haven't killed?
Wear the gold serpent ring to up item discovery, pop a coin also. Yes you can get them from ones you got the item from but haven't killed, use a Lloyds Talisman to put them to sleep, you can do this repeatedly without having to rest a bonfire I would wait until the effect of the last one has worn off, at least that's what I did, it took 4 talisman's for me until it dropped and this was my final mimic, phew!

edit - Lloyds Talisman = Charm things, whatever they're called now!

LiK

It's crazy how deep the lore is. I've been watching YouTube videos for the past few nights and it's like a history book.

haven't even gotten a definitive lore video from ENB yet. it's gonna be amazing once he finishes the game and starts to analyze it.

LogicStep

I saw a video that you can farm mimics without killing them by using hunter charms. I'm not sure how it works. I tried it on one mimic, it opened up, I took an item out of it, some sword, and that's it. I reloaded the game a few times hoping that the symbol would be there but nothing else happened so I killed it and got nothing. Is there a correct way to do this? I'd like to get it on my current character.

I saw a video that you can farm mimics without killing them by using hunter charms. I'm not sure how it works. I tried it on one mimic, it opened up, I took an item out of it, some sword, and that's it. I reloaded the game a few times hoping that the symbol would be there but nothing else happened so I killed it and got nothing. Is there a correct way to do this? I'd like to get it on my current character.

I don't think you can farm them, using hunter charms makes so you can get their items without killing them. That's all.

You have to use items that raise discovery and hope for the best when you kill one so you can loot their head.

Just throw a charm, let it sleep for a while, and do it again when it wakes up. Repeat! No need to quit or anything.

I got it after 5 charms or something. Use a Rusted Coin and the Gold Serpent Ring, if you have them.

Here's a GREAT video detailing why poise should not be a thing in this game. It comes from a mainly PvP perspective, but the points he raises hold true for PvE as well.

Ds3 without poise is fine. If you want to use a heavy weapon prepare to have to properly time you attacks better and utilize more efficient spacing.

There still needs to be something to make heavy armor builds more attractive but as its stands poise it not the answer.

In Depth Consideration of Poise in Dark Souls 3

LogicStep

Just throw a charm, let it sleep for a while, and do it again when it wakes up. Repeat! No need to quit or anything.

I got it after 5 charms or something. Use a Rusted Coin and the Gold Serpent Ring, if you have them.

Ah.. So after the charm, even if I get an item, when the sleepy effect is over I can try again and the symbol will eventually be there? Interesting, I will try that when I get home.

Molemitts

Kind of thinking of going back through the game to try the NPC quests out. How long will a playthrough usually take when you pretty much know what you're doing? I imagine it's a pretty big difference because it was in the first game.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Kind of thinking of going back through the game to try the NPC quests out. How long will a playthrough usually take when you pretty much know what you're doing? I imagine it's a pretty big difference because it was in the first game.

My first playthrough took about 30 hours, my follow up playthroughs (where I'm still doing everything and getting all the loot) are about 10 hours.

Molemitts

Dammit ENB, what's taking so long. I need my fix.

Pretty sure he said no video today.

My first playthrough took about 30 hours, my follow up playthroughs (where I'm still doing everything and getting all the loot) are about 10 hours.

Cool, I'm still pretty slow paced, my first playthrough was over 30, so I imagine my second will be over 10 but it sounds like a reasonable amount of time to go back and check out the NPC quests. Especially since the one I did go all the way through with was really cool.

SRTtoZ

My equip load is 38.6/ 55.0

But i already have what seems to be a fat roll. Damn. Wasn't it around 70 in DS2?

You can see the percentage in the upper right hand corner. Keep it under 70% for good roll, under 30% for best roll.

On another note, any updates on when PC is getting 1.06?

LiK

Pretty sure he said no video today.

Cool, I'm still pretty slow paced, my first playthrough was over 30, so I imagine my second will be over 10 but it sounds like a reasonable amount of time to go back and check out the NPC quests. Especially since the one I did go all the way through with was really cool.

Bummer, at least I have AGS.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Yep, that's exactly what i wanted to say but you've put it into better words. Thank you!

I would add to the list:

- Second chance which is nerfed but works exactly like in Demon's Souls
Oh right! How could I forget that? Haha. I mean Denial was in DS2 too, but it was so useless in comparison (required like 3-4 slots and expired after a while, plus it was a late-game DLC spell). Tears of Denial isn't as OP as Second Chance but still pretty decent, saved my ass a few times.

- Miracles being more for defense than attack. I see many people complain because miracles are no longer viable as an offensive magic but I'm glad we have more variety in spells rather than just pick your color but they do the same thing.
True but I do wish Lightning Spear weren't so utterly useless.

- Weapons upgrade paths
I guess. It reminds me more of DS2's infusions, but I guess the Sharp/Heavy gems are reminiscent of DeS, it just uses the far superior infusion mechanic.

-
Ancient Dragon Greatshield = Adjucator Shield
- Farron Keep is the closest to 5-2 Dark Souls ever got.
- The battle against
Yhorm with Siegward very reminiscent of the battle against Penetrator with Biorr
- Red ghosts that represent the last seconds of a player's life
Good ones. I noticed the shield resemblance too, but forgot to mention it. I think Blighttown is closer to Valley of Defilement myself, though. The first part being all rickety wooden structures and pitfalls, the second part being the mobility-limiting poison swamp with slugs and club-wielding assholes and reduced visibility.

It's

Really? I recognized the place instantly. And I knew something was going to happen because I saw all those bloodstains so I just used a homeward bone to refill my estus, cash my souls and returned there ready and sure enough the boss showed up.

Here's a GREAT video detailing why poise should not be a thing in this game. It comes from a mainly PvP perspective, but the points he raises hold true for PvE as well.

Ds3 without poise is fine. If you want to use a heavy weapon prepare to have to properly time you attacks better and utilize more efficient spacing.

There still needs to be something to make heavy armor builds more attractive but as its stands poise it not the answer.

In Depth Consideration of Poise in Dark Souls 3
Haven't even watched the video and I agree completely. :)

franzer

Just finished the game, and this was my first real experience with the stream controller (bought it with the bundle on sale). Incredible. Such a steep learning curve coming off using a dual stick controller for the last 15+ years, but so worth it. The mapping, which allows you to have roll on the left flap and item on the right flap, you never take your thumb off the steering. Its absolutely incredible to be able to flick and look a boss right in the face, instead of pushing a direction on a stick. If there was ever a game that sold me on the steam controller, it was this one.

I'm going for a knight with some bow usage, no magic probably for my first DS3 playthrough. I should be paying attention to Vigor which i have it at 14 now, Endurance - 12, Strength - 16, Vitality - 16 and Dexterity - 15 right?

Oh and that dragon in High wall of Lothric, he seems damn strong. I could buy a ton of arrows and eventually kill him from a far, but is that worth it at all?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom