• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT2| Welcome to NG+, Unkindled One

Status
Not open for further replies.
There were only a couple of areas that really gave me a Bloodborne vibe - the Catacombs because it looked like a Chalice Dungeon, and Irythyll obviously. If it had gas lamps throughout it could've been a BB area. But then again, Cainhurst looked like a Souls area to me, so there's obviously going to be crossover influences when they're the same type of game from the same people.

Other than that, I thought DS3 had the same kind of level of detail as BB, but didn't feel like I was playing in the same world. I just think they've got better at making a world look lived in - They've always been great level designers, but BB and DS3 have that dilapidated look, where for example all the stairs are crooked and worn, not just old looking but very detailed, overgrowth, architecture, the crooked tombstones everywhere - they've been doing this since Demon's, but it was kicked up a notch in BB and DS3 follows suit, as it should.

Yeah, maybe I haven't gotten far enough into the game just yet to judge the game just yet. It's all good though, I have a lot of exams and stuff going on at the moment plus Uncharted 4 releases soon so i'll probably go back to Dark Souls 3 in my summer vacation and hopefully then it'll be feel fresh and exciting again.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
I don't see the point of rushing this game, I take it very slowly. 20 hours in and I just killed
High lord Vormir or whatever, the big skeleton guy

Quoting myself for new page and a question. Approximately how long is this game, for most? I generally take my time, and in Souls games suck at first but then fly through them. I wanna know mostly to let the game last, and not just fly through it.

Are there a small amount of areas/levels with massive maps, or just a lot of small areas (i.e. like the first Ash Cemetery level)

Don't worry about the length, play at your own pace. Took me roughly 60 hours to beat it but I'm definitely on the slower end. I helped people a lot in coop. There are a good amount of areas though, some are quite large (others small, good mix).

p3n

Quoting myself for new page and a question. Approximately how long is this game, for most? I generally take my time, and in Souls games suck at first but then fly through them. I wanna know mostly to let the game last, and not just fly through it.

Are there a small amount of areas/levels with massive maps, or just a lot of small areas (i.e. like the first Ash Cemetery level)

Took me 38h to clear every area in the game in my blind run. I did look for secrets and hidden items which took a considerable amount of time. I did fail most side quests and missed 2 NPCs. NG+ took me about 7h (+15h of pvp) because I only picked up stuff that was new or stuff I missed in NG plus key items and upgrade materials (this time using the wiki). NG+2 was less than 5h because I had to rush it to be ready for the co-op playthrough.

140+ hours in and I finally got my plat.
My third and final playthrough was rough though. I was basically rushing past all the bad guys and summoning for every boss. I've never done that in a souls/borne game before. I enjoyed the experience, but this is probably my least favorite in the series.

Pejo

Well, I finished all the farm-able weapons/spells/rings/etc last night, and as a reward to myself, I went up against the final boss. Wow what a fight. Reminds me a lot of Bloodborne's pseudo final boss, but even more aggressive. It took me 15-20 tries, but I eventually won. By far my favorite boss of the game, which was previously held by
The Princes

The one thing that really pissed me off was that
2nd form juggle combo that you can't escape once you're in the animation lock for it.
It killed me so many times when I was doing really great. I really loved that he can
switch weapon stances and his sword gains all new movesets, abilities, and combos. Too bad the weapon you get from the soul can't do any of that.

All that's left now for my NG run is to do covenant stuff and kill all the NPCs. I'd at least like to get the 10 item reward for each covenant before I move on to NG+. I messed up a lot of NPC questlines, so I have a lot of those to do on my next playthrough.

Question to those of you already past this: Do the + and ++ rings count towards the trophy/achievement? I'm hoping not, but expecting yes.

Error

cheesed that
berserk look-a-like dog
, kept abusing the fact that it stays still while vanishing to land some cheap shots and since he comes back with the same health that it had before vanishing I just kept exploiting that.

felt good, fuck yo cheap grab.

test_account

XP-39C²
YES! Finally! I beat NK solo, and on NG+ to boot :) Took probably around 50 tried i would guess. Used a Dark Sword +10. I techincally beat him earlier too, but its nice to have completed it all the way. If you get the first stagger on him, its possible to get the 2nd stagger relatively quickly after that as well. Now i've beaten every boss solo (i gave up on NG because i got bored with the boss, and summoned one guy to help me, but i wanted to try again solo in NG+).

I think i used around 40-45 hours. I also did coop and PVP for a while.

LiK

I didn't notice until recently that those annoying giant dogs are basically the same model as the Watchdog in BB Chalice dungeon. No wonder they gave me so much anxiety.

Anyone finished the game solo with low Vigor? I'm hoping to wrap things up this week at VGR 20, I really don't like that huge bar on my screen and it makes me care less about getting hit too which mostly leads to unnecessary deaths.

LiK

Anyone finished the game solo with low Vigor? I'm hoping to wrap things up this week at VGR 20, I really don't like that huge bar on my screen and it makes me care less about getting hit too which mostly leads to unnecessary deaths.

Why don't you just have the HUD autohide? My Vigor was 27 at the end of NG.

mstevens

There were only a couple of areas that really gave me a Bloodborne vibe - the Catacombs because it looked like a Chalice Dungeon, and Irythyll obviously. If it had gas lamps throughout it could've been a BB area. But then again, Cainhurst looked like a Souls area to me, so there's obviously going to be crossover influences when they're the same type of game from the same people.

Other than that, I thought DS3 had the same kind of level of detail as BB, but didn't feel like I was playing in the same world. I just think they've got better at making a world look lived in - They've always been great level designers, but BB and DS3 have that dilapidated look, where for example all the stairs are crooked and worn, not just old looking but very detailed, overgrowth, architecture, the crooked tombstones everywhere - they've been doing this since Demon's, but it was kicked up a notch in BB and DS3 follows suit, as it should.

Undead settlement looks like BB too. Not that that's a bad thing.

Gbraga

I'm on my way to do it.

Currently at 12 Vigor, 12 END, 31 VIT, 30 STR and 30 DEX. No plans of upgrading my Vigor any higher, at least on NG.

Every video/gif I see, people have ridiculously huge health bars, and I'm not getting one shotted at 12, so it seems to me that vigor is way too strong, and could use a nerf. Possibly the reason why people found the game too easy.

Error

so what's the recommended weapon level to ascend it so it specializes on a particular stat?

The weapon upgrade system seems a bit like Demons, but it's been awhile since I played that.

JDB

Banned
Beat
Nameless King
and
Dragonslayer Armor
this morning in my SL1 run. First time ever doing a SL1 run in one of these games.

All that remains is
Princes and Soul of Cinder.

Pontiff
took me 3 parries.
Gundyr
took 7 parries. SO nerve wracking having to successfully land 7 parries when missing usually lead to a one-shot kill.

Dancer
was hardest for me so far because no parry, no 100% physical block shield yet, no Gundyr Ring, and terrible frame rate issues on Xbone. My heart has never pounded so hard in the last few seconds of a boss fight.

My strategy for Sl1 - Lloyd's Shield Ring, Lloyd's Sword ring, and Life Ring for early game. This makes it where you can usually survive one hit from most bosses. After
dancer
though, you can get the Knight's ring which gives you enough strength for a 100% physical block shield. My final ring setup - Lloyd's Sword, Lloyd's shield, Knights Ring, and Prisoner's Chain. I've also fully upgraded the Dragon Crest shield.

After getting Knight's ring, I also leveled up the Deep Battle Axe which I might use for
Soul of Cinder
since I'll usually only have time for 1 attack per opening anyway.

Hopefully those tips will help someone with a SL1 playthrough!
Using a shield in an sl1 run, for shame!

Ferr986

I'm on my way to do it.

Currently at 12 Vigor, 12 END, 31 VIT, 30 STR and 30 DEX. No plans of upgrading my Vigor any higher, at least on NG.

Every video/gif I see, people have ridiculously huge health bars, and I'm not getting one shotted at 12, so it seems to me that vigor is way too strong, and could use a nerf. Possibly the reason why people found the game too easy.

Vigor first soft cap is at 27, next is at 50 but the increase isn't that big. With 27 you're ready to go.

Keep in mind that even with 40 VIG (around 200 HP more than 27VIG), late bosses can easily kill you in 3 hits.

Error

nvm I get it now.

Currently using the Machete, lawd, such a beast of a weapon. Staggers even heavily armored foes. And the skill is actually useful, which is my problem with the great sword, its skill sucks.

Using a shield in an sl1 run, for shame!

Already did a no shield, 5 estus run just to try and learn the bosses. I don't normally do challenge runs of any kind.

Besides, with 10 endurance, shield's practically worthless. Only as a backup in case I dodge too late. If I dodge too early though, still dead!

I can't believe i'm asking this and i probably missed something, but i've went and explored all paths from the first bonfire to the second in High wall of Lothric and i can't seem to really go anywhere else BUT
near the big ass dragon and i tried running up and getting to a safe area there...but that doesn't seem possible. I do have a crossbow and shortbow now, do i kill him?

Rather not unnecessarily waste arrows/bolts.

Cat Party

cheesed that
berserk look-a-like dog
, kept abusing the fact that it stays still while vanishing to land some cheap shots and since he comes back with the same health that it had before vanishing I just kept exploiting that.

felt good, fuck yo cheap grab.
Used this strategy as well. No shame in cheesing the cheesers.

Undead settlement looks like BB too. Not that that's a bad thing.
Maybe yes it had Hemwick vibes about it and the enemies were very similar to the nutso women on Hemwick Lane, but then Hemwick could've also been a Dark Souls area so..... it's just there's so much crossover in terms of design and influence one is bound to seep in to the other.

Vena

There's something wonky with (late game boss)
Lorian/Lothric
's AI that I didn't notice on NG.

When
Lothric resurrects Lorian, if you hug Lorian's ass, Lothric does nothing and Lorian just spins around and does nothing either. You can swing, move, swing, move over and over and the two will do nothing (I use the BKGA, so I hit both of them every time). In phase 1 this doesn't work becuase Lorian will warp away if you hug his ass for too long but when Lothric is on his back, they seem to never warp away at all and so you can just sit there forever.

This completely trivializes the fight as they just turn into sitting ducks for all of Phase 2. Lorian swung at me all of one time. Lothric did nothing after the first auto-cast of his volley that seems to occur at the start of every Phase 2.

This was on NG+.

Gbraga

I think it's fine if people want more Vigor. They're still sacrificing other stats for it.

Yeah, of course. Which is exactly why VIT was the first stat I started upgrading :p

The Fashion Souls stat. Can't sacrifice that.

Vigor first soft cap is at 27, next is at 50 but the increase isn't that big. With 27 you're ready to go.

Keep in mind that even with 40 VIG (around 200 HP more than 27VIG), late bosses can easily kill you in 3 hits.

I'm not necessarily staying at 12, my rule is "as long as I don't get one shot by a normal attack, I'm good". So I might upgrade vig a little bit if those late bosses start one shotting me.

But I'm suspecting the added defense from VIT is making up for the lack of VIG. My HP is perfectly fine right now.

Vena

I think it's fine if people want more Vigor. They're still sacrificing other stats for it.

I played my first NG at... whatever starting Vigor is for a Knight until I reached
Dragonslayer
and got tired of the fact that the out-of-sight
butterflies
would literally one shot me in with anything.

I was SL 35 at the time. Got tired of their shit, and jumped to SL 85 and proceeded to exact sweet revenge.

Don't even need to farm. The game in NG+ and beyond hands out Souls like water.

Ah, sweet. I did the first 2 bosses last night and my crystal soul spear completely demolished them...do the later bosses become increasingly difficult? I had issues with Bloodborne's boss difficulty spiking x10 in NG+.

LiK

Ah, sweet. I did the first 2 bosses last night and my crystal soul spear completely demolished them...do the later bosses become increasingly difficult? I had issues with Bloodborne's boss difficulty spiking x10 in NG+.

in NG+ and beyond, the bosses have more health so they take longer to kill and hit a bit harder. you'll notice the increase in health more in NG++. virtually no major changes to the fights from what i know.

Whats the point of hollowing anyway? Just a graphical effect?

that and for one
of the endings as well as the ability to summon one specific NPC for certain bosses
. but yea, nothing else is affected from what i know.

GulAtiCa

At lv 115 in NG+, I plan to take advantage of the hollowing free
5 levels

I wonder what would be better. To those that did a mainly Pyro build. What do you think be better? Use my remaining 20 levels to lv 120 to get Int/Faith 40/40 for max Pyro or do 35/35 and use the remaining 10 levels to level up Attunement some more. Currently my Attunement is lv 31. Getting it to lv 40 or even 41 would give me an extra slot (not as important) but would gain me prob about 40 to 50 extra FP, which would be more useful.

usp84

So what is the best way to kill
Old Demon King
with a 100% pyromancy character? NG++++ so i have all the spells.

Also is there a sword that is good for 50 FTH 50 INT?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom