• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT2| Welcome to NG+, Unkindled One

Status
Not open for further replies.

Manu

Holy shit, I didn't think it was possible, but the drop rates for Wold Swordgrass are actually worse than Proofs of a Concord Kept. Jesus.

Holy shit, I didn't think it was possible, but the drop rates for Wold Swordgrass are actually worse than Proofs of a Concord Kept. Jesus.

It's so sad that people have to resort to tedious and mindless grinding of mobs to acquire an item because the primary gameplay mechanic to acquire it is so broken.

If this is From talking (and not Bandai Namco), they're not trying to be deliberately obscure. They're probably just being careful with words, while hopefully working to improve balancing and resolve the issue.

You could use your imagination (and experience with the game) if you want to know what kind of situation Poise works in. But if you want an unofficial explanation/theory, see my post above.

I shouldn't have to use my imagination since the in-game text already have a description as it is the stat that will allow you to have more time to attack/perform actions before being interrupted, while legions of people have already tested this and have proven that it doesn't do even that. Your theory as it will allow you receive less damage when performing hyper armor is perhaps true, but it doesn't even come close to matching the in-game description of the stat itself.

Why put a description of a stat that tells the function of that stat, when in reality that stat doesn't even do what it says in the description? And now they're being coy with it, saying "Nooo it worked as intended, but YOU have to find out by yourself WHAT or WHEN its function is activated!" *wink*

It's being deliberately obscure to the point of becoming real annoying to me. Bunch of bollocks, in short.

And that hyper armor is dependent on the weapon move set and not affected at all by another stat. It's not really what people are talking about when they're describing poise.

Re-read what you quoted. He's saying that Demon's Souls uses hyper armor over what Dark Souls calls Poise.

Sarcasm

Man everybody is all this stuff is easy!

And I am over here spending hours on the nights from anor...lightning spear owns me. Backstabbing takes to long and if I parry its the same -.-

O.DOGG

Man everybody is all this stuff is easy!

And I am over here spending hours on the nights from anor...lightning spear owns me. Backstabbing takes to long and if I parry its the same -.-

Just roll towards the dude when you see him start charging at you with the spear. From there you can attack him from behind (but don't go for a backstab until you get a sense of their reaction times first, that'll only get you killed). Don't try to block them either, it's not very effective unless you have a greatshield, and even then not so much.

And also there are only 3 or 4 of those knights. You can do it!

Dark Souls III [OT++] Why can't we poise the game?
Incredible. This must be chosen.
I still like my original idea:

Dark Souls III IOT++I Welcome to the New Game++, I'm Embering Up

giphy.gif

Man, it's crazy how many people miss
the Demon Ruins/Lost Izalith section of Smouldering Lake.
I guess it's because you can't see the entrance until you're right in front of the boss fog.
I got to it from the other entrance
if the ballista shoots a crumbled section of the ground around the middle of the area.

jonjonaug

Making good progress with my soul level 1 run, all I have left are the twins and the final boss. Those will probably be the hardest parts of the entire run though, since I have tons of problems with the twins even on regular playthroughs and the final boss probably has a bunch of OHKO moves on SL1.

Aldrich, Dancer, and Dragonslayer Armor have been the hardest bosses so far because of all of the one-hit kills they have. I think I died like seven or eight times just to the Dancer's grab attack. The rest haven't been too much harder than a regular NG playthrough.

silva1991

Wow when did they patch
Bloodboren's dlc well

I'm playing the English version fro the first time after a long break and only one giant lizard was aggro ed

Robiin

Kinda fell off after Uncharted was released and I hit a difficulty wall...

Where should I go after beating the Dancer? Up the ladder obviously, but I ended up in some place I can't remember the name of, King's Garden I think, and it was hard as balls. Is this the "natural" progression route or do I have other options?

Where should I go after beating the Dancer? Up the ladder obviously, but I ended up in some place I can't remember the name of, King's Garden I think, and it was hard as balls. Is this the "natural" progression route or do I have other options?
Kings Garden is an optional side path. It's super short though so push through and it won't take you long, boss is a pushover too.

Continue directly forward after the ladder for the required route.

Jamaro85

Yeah you don't have to go to King's Garden, but going there will eventually lead you to some other cool optional areas as well. I will say that I cheesed a lot of the enemies by sniping them from a distance, but with the nature of the area I don't feel a bit bad about it.

Yep that's the one!

That place is the bane of my existence. I bought so many
anti-toxic clumps because of that place. First time I went there I saw the meter fill up then the dude smacked my face and I died.

Making good progress with my soul level 1 run, all I have left are the twins and the final boss. Those will probably be the hardest parts of the entire run though, since I have tons of problems with the twins even on regular playthroughs and the final boss probably has a bunch of OHKO moves on SL1.

Aldrich, Dancer, and Dragonslayer Armor have been the hardest bosses so far because of all of the one-hit kills they have. I think I died like seven or eight times just to the Dancer's grab attack. The rest haven't been too much harder than a regular NG playthrough.

What about N
ameless King?
or C
hampion Gundyr
both of em are super tough :p.

I'm not even gonna try a SL 1, I still didn't do SL 1 in DaS 1, I have like three bosses till that run is over.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Alriight!

Finished the main game yesterday. Some spoiler free general impressions:

I'm really pleased with the game, a big step up from Dark Souls 2 for me personally. The environment and the atmosphere of the game are much, much closer to the original Dark Souls, I really enjoyed exploring and interacting with this world, it felt interesting, unique and vibrant. It has some stunning locations, some creepy ass dungeons and unnerving catacombs, i.e. the works.

I liked the focus on mid-level enemies spread out over most of the game, instead of areas filled with bunch of easy peasy horde turds + big boss approach. Some of the most interesting sections for me was set pieces where you had to traverse parts filled with several mid-level enemies.

Boss fights varies a lot in how interesting they are, some a really great, some are plain boring (as in all Souls games honestly). In addition, I think at this point in the series it's hard to be really inventive and original when creating bosses, almost all bosses in this games strongly reminds me of a previous souls boss, or reminds me of an earlier boss in the same game. This is not really meant as criticism towards From, I think any developer would struggle to create ~30 unique bosses per entry.

Difficulty wise I'd say the game feels fair towards a bit easy. It feels a lot easier than Dark Souls, though that could very well just be that my experience with souls games have increased as well. But after ~35 hours (when I finished this game at around level 80), I was nowhere near finishing the original. System wise, the game leans a lot on the systems introduced in Dark Souls 2, which I think is a good idea.

One thing I really do miss from the original, is the ability to upgrade armor. This made me focus overall a lot less on armor, and I never even bothered upgrading the stat that increased my carry load at all. The set you start with is good enough to last the entire game, which is kind of boring. So in my melee build, I just upgraded health, stamina, strength and some dexterity, and that worked out quite well.

I still have some post-game / optional areas to explore, so I'm not 100% done (in the exploring sense, not going to 100% it achievement wise). Looking forward to that.

The game ran smoothly for the most part on 60fps on my old ass i5 (OC ~4GHz) and GTX 770, on high settings. I noticed that the various patches that came along sometimes messed a bit with the frame rate stability, but nothing too bad.

Overall a major yay! experience. Would recommend to anyone even remotely interested in the series! I would probably also recommend it as a first entry to people unfamiliar with the series, since it has more or less the atmosphere and interesting world of the original - which I find severely lacking in DS2 - and it is a lot more user friendly with the game system and more fair of a challenge for new players compared to the original. It has a lot less of the "what the fuck do I do now" moments, it's more transparent for the most part in what you need to do, and where you need to go.

Meccs

The online in this game sucks major butt, how do people like this?

Oh summon someone..here is freaking 4 dudes with giant swords and some bad netcode! Enjoy!
Pretty much how it is. Not even equipping the Sunbro or Mound Maker does work like it should to counter the sometimes 3+1 blue vs 1.

Sunbro: "Members of this covenant that invade have prioritisation for hosts that already have an invader present, for some jolly coop-invasions"

I call BS on this. I invaded 2h yesterday as a sunbro and had ONE invasion where there was already a red. Of course there were also 4 other dudes...

Mound Makers: "Invading as a Mound Maker will prioritize worlds with many players, allowing for maximum chaos."

I already get a lot of 3vs1 etc. How is this going to change with the Mound Maker equipped?

Sarcasm

I honestly haven't done anything covenant wise. I just have equipped whatever is the first one. I have all the ring things up to alderitch.

What should I have equipped? I don't mind helping people.

Robiin

Kings Garden is an optional side path. It's super short though so push through and it won't take you long, boss is a pushover too.

Continue directly forward after the ladder for the required route.
Yeah you don't have to go to King's Garden, but going there will eventually lead you to some other cool optional areas as well. I will say that I cheesed a lot of the enemies by sniping them from a distance, but with the nature of the area I don't feel a bit bad about it.
Cool, thanks guys. Yeah I think I'll do Lothric Castle first then. So many chunks here, got my weapon from +7 to +9 from like ten minutes of exploring the area by the dragons!

Codiox

Really? How many attempts did it take against A
ldrich
and P
ontiff Sulyvahn
? Funny enough I beat Lothric in I think three attempts. I forgot what level though, I may have been overleveled from all the Co-oping.

for Aldrich i needed maybe 4 or 5, but the tactic was really clear for me. Pontiff was down in 2 shots, i thought it was one of the easiest bosses of the game.

Im at level 96 i think but i cant remember lothrics patterns. he always hits me when im not expecting it. really strange. The strategy seems really easy though: dodging dodging dodging, one hit, dodging dodging.

is there any pro tip i dont know? Yesterday this fucker made me really angry :mad:

Meccs

I honestly haven't done anything covenant wise. I just have equipped whatever is the first one. I have all the ring things up to alderitch.

Well the only thing that was really fun (I have one SL85 and one SL120 character) was the Aldrich invasions. The only auto summoning that actually worked and where you have most fights 1vs1 or even 1vs2 in your favor (where I always stay back if someone is already fighting). The thing is, you need to be in a specific level range and it almost summons you non stop. Ideal would be SL50-SL60 in my opinion. At SL60 I had to take it off to make any progress in the zones because it would me summon without pause.

When it comes to normal invasions, the Warriors of Sunlight should prioritize worlds that already have one invader, but in reality that hardly every works. You could try invading with that and see how it goes for you. Just keep in mind that as a orange invader you can harm the other invaders too and vice versa.

Low level PvP in general is more fun imho. Less try hards, not meta, people trying stuff out and less gank squads. I'm not that good at PvP, I just wanna have fun and some entertaining hours while doing it.

I got 30 of 'em last evening in 2 hours or so, including being summoned as a phantom for Proofs of Concord kept. I had 164 discovery rate or so. Tonight I'm going for the last 18 proofs I need. It's a bit tedious, but I enjoy grinding it while listening to music.

Arjen

Thanks.. Any suggestions? I really avoided pvp/coop in entire souls series.

Well, they have all one thing in common, they hardly work. If you want fun pvp use the red soap sign for duels doesn't really matter which covenant u use with that.
For Co OP, use a white soapstone with the sunlight covenant equipped.

So to buy the undead legion armor set it says to get it from shrine maiden. When I go to her though she doesn't sell anything

She's selling nothing? Are you going to the Firekeeper instead of the shrine maiden? Shrine Maiden is the one sitting on a chair when you go towards Andre. Also, she only sells the Undead Legion Armour AFTER you've defeated
Abyss Watchers

Blades of Darkmoon and Blue Sentinels
are broken. They basically summon you to a host's world if he is using
Way of the Blue
and is getting invaded. I've been summoned as a
Blade
only twice of which once the connection broke and the other time the host killed the invader by the time I got summoned.

Sunbros
are co-op helpers who help the host deal with a boss.

Aldrich and Farron
are area-defenders who are automatically summoned to a host's world if the host enters their respective areas without equipping either of those two covenants. These two and
Sunbros
are summoned pretty quickly and you can complete either of these three pretty quickly if you aren't overleveled.

test_account

XP-39C²
I was thinking the same thing in the begining, but after a while, it wasnt as bad, at least for me. I spawned at the Farron Keep Perimiter bonfire, killed the 3 guys down the stairs and then all the guys outside of
Abyss Watchers
(except the dark skeleton-type of enemies). My item drop rate was about 400 (not sure if that matters much for covenant item drops, but still). Thing is that here you got 12 enemies in one run, while Proof of Concord got 3. I think i did 25 Wolf Swordgrass items in about 2-3 hours or so.

It's being deliberately obscure to the point of becoming real annoying to me. Bunch of bollocks, in short.

Na, I don't think that it is one of those things that has been done on purpose. It's clearly a broken stat that they just didn't know what to do with.

I got to it from the other entrance
if the ballista shoots a crumbled section of the ground around the middle of the area.

Holy shit. I wondered what that segment was that has a "this looks like it can be broken" ceiling.

UrbanRats

We know poise isn't a bug, otherwise they would've fixed it in one of the various patches... But I still can't understand their stubbornness about this fucked up poise system.
You have objects in the game that are pointless or near pointless, with the stat as it operates now.
But yeah, it's working as intended.

Feels like a half ass last minute rebalance that they didn't think through to me.

Meccs

I am 66, does it work anywhere or do I need to hang out in that area?
Anywhere. SL66 should still work, just not as frequent. I did most of my Aldrich invasions at SL65. Just put it on and continue doing PvE stuff. The symbol will blink when it is searching for a world to invade. You will get summoned eventually and can continue in your world where you left off after you return. Aldrich is pretty fun just to spice things up a bit.

Mound Makers: "Invading as a Mound Maker will prioritize worlds with many players, allowing for maximum chaos."

I did the 30 proof of concepts in the Undead Settlement. It was mostly me (blue) + host + white or sun against a purple phantom or a dark one. I got my first 10 shackles as added bonus there.

Obviously, I didn't want to get the remaining shakles there. I got the 30 wolf grass in one sitting and that didn't seem a good spot either, so I tried the Catacombs of Carthus. Took 2 sittings, could have been better. Mostly 1 against 2. Those are often a challenge. 3 or 4 against one in the narrow tunnel before the boss room is pure suicide. I got a few 1 on 1. One guy messaged me that I was a cocksucker even though we had a clean fight by the bonfire. He kept asking for a rematch... Sad.

I just need 7 more Sun medals, 7 pale tongues and the Aldritch Faithfull covenant.
I must admit the 2 beasts are killing me. Over and over.

She's selling nothing? Are you going to the Firekeeper instead of the shrine maiden? Shrine Maiden is the one sitting on a chair when you go towards Andre. Also, she only sells the Undead Legion Armour AFTER you've defeated
Abyss Watchers

Blades of Darkmoon and Blue Sentinels
are broken. They basically summon you to a host's world if he is using
Way of the Blue
and is getting invaded. I've been summoned as a
Blade
only twice of which once the connection broke and the other time the host killed the invader by the time I got summoned.

Sunbros
are co-op helpers who help the host deal with a boss.

Aldrich and Farron
are area-defenders who are automatically summoned to a host's world if the host enters their respective areas without equipping either of those two covenants. These two and
Sunbros
are summoned pretty quickly and you can complete either of these three pretty quickly if you aren't overleveled.

Ha I was going to the wrong person! Thanks

Meccs

I just need 7 more Sun medals, 7 pale tongues and the Aldritch Faithfull covenant.
I must admit the 2 beasts are killing me. Over and over.
You can pull the left one with a bow pretty easily. Just don't stand below it since it will damage you with his disgusting open rib cage. Pierce works wonders, so ready your Bestoc!

Joey Ravn

Banned
So if I use
the item, I get a choice of two mutually exclusive endings whilst not using it gives me a 3rd separate ending?

Not really.

If you use the item,
you will get a choice between two mutually exclusive endings. The choice is very clear and you can opt for whichever you want regardless of how you had been playing the game until that moment.

On the other hand, there is a
third ending that you can only get if you follow a specific questline to its completion. It's quite obscure and it requires you do several things that aren't really easy to follow logically, so you're better off reading a guide for it. The thing with this ending is that it replaces the "normal" ending, so those two are mutually exclusive. I don't know if you can get the ending that you unlock when you use the Firekeeper's Eyes if you meet the requirements for the third ending, though.

As for this option we're talking about, you need to complete
Anri's questline to become the Lord of Hollows

So, in summary, and talking openly about spoilers, there are
three endings: the normal "linking the fire" ending; the "usurpation of the fire" ending that you get with the Firekeeper's Eyes, and the "Lord of Hollows" ending that you get if you are fully Hollowed and have completed Anri's questline, including the "marriage" ceremony in the Darkmoon Tomb.

Okay one last question.
I want to start to use the dark sword. I have a high dex build. Because of that should I go with a refined 10 upgrade path since it gives me a B?

Hey guys.

So, I really liked Bloodborne. It's one of my favorite games ever. I tried to play Dark Souls II afterwards and could not get into it. It was just too slow for me. I kind of avoided Dark Souls III as a result but my friend said DSIII is the closest to Bloodborne in the series.

So, I am sure this has been beaten to death in this thread, but would DSIII would be recommended to someone who loved Bloodborne but couldn't get used to the speed to the Souls titles?

Hey guys.

So, I really liked Bloodborne. It's one of my favorite games ever. I tried to play Dark Souls II afterwards and could not get into it. It was just too slow for me. I kind of avoided Dark Souls III as a result but my friend said DSIII is the closest to Bloodborne in the series.

So, I am sure this has been beaten to death in this thread, but would DSIII would be recommended to someone who loved Bloodborne but couldn't get used to the speed to the Souls titles?

DS3 is a lot faster than the first week games. Almost the same as Bloodborne. You should feel right at home with this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom