• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT2| Welcome to NG+, Unkindled One

Status
Not open for further replies.
So for the last every day since launch, I can't play DS3 online. Period. Checked firewall settings, verified cache, rebooted several times, just straight can't play online. Period. At all. "Failed to log in to the DARK SOULS III game server" is all I can get. Someone tell me there's a fix for this.

Sometimes I hate this game so much,with its little sidequest that are uncomprehensible,especially the way it saves...all of sudden I head back to the shrine and the Yole is dead in her corner,the one that was giving free levels...what happened...? I gave something to do level up girl and now she says she can cure the dark sigil but I didnt do it...was that it...? I hate when you have to read wiki's or what not for stuff like this,thank god its not the meat of the game...

And what the hell at the difficulty spike in the catacombs...makes me wonder if I should be in there right now...(level 40)
Nah, what she's offering is tied to his overall quest, but he dies regardless once you reach a certain area.

Pontiff Sulyvahn
is so many epic levels of bullshit. I can't kill him. Hell, half the time, I can't even get him to phase 2. He's aggressive as hell.
Almost killed
Pontiff
and then immediately went back to getting slaughtered by him without touching him the next dozen attempts. Fucking hell I made zero progress tonight between getting wrecked by him and
Old Demon King
. I guess I got my wish for the bosses to get more challenging :/
Learn the Path of the
Dragon. The gesture used :p

D
ragonslayer
boss fight. I'm fed up with this game. FED UP.

p.s. the patch didn't do anything to make Dancer's Enchanted Swords not garbage.

Just beat
Dragonslayer Armour
. I think this boss seriously competes for one of the hardest bosses in the series.
Huh I always think its interesting to see what boss is hard for other people. I manage to kill
Dragonslayer Armour
on my first attempt. However I actually had to give
crystal sage, deacons of the deep and high lord wolnir
a few attempts before I beat them..

Gbraga

I'm enjoying this game way more than I thought I would. More due to lower expectations than I probably should have, but still. The level design is out of this world, and I'm really loving all of the descriptions and new information about Dark Souls' world.

~34 hours in, at the Road of Sacrifices, having a really damn good time.

Working on a Fashion Souls build: 12 VIG/12 END/30 VIT/23 STR/22 DEX

UrbanRats

yeah, what are people doing to be that overleveled? Must be lots of pvp. I was nowhere near that level when I fought
Abyss Watchers.

I just finished
Cathedral fo the Deep
, and i'm about SL 35.
Never farmed, either, i just level up when i have souls, and i'm back at Firelink, i guess i'm just used to not lose them, and don't have anything else to spend them on.
I did a bunch of boss summons/SunBroing though, since it's my favorite part of the game, i guess that put me a couple of levels up, but i used most of that money to buy the 20k key.

KingKong

Huh I always think its interesting to see what boss is hard for other people. I manage to kill
Dragonslayer Armour
on my first attempt. However I actually had to give
crystal sage, deacons of the deep and high lord wolnir
a few attempts before I beat them..

yeah I thought
Dragonslayer Armour
was very straightforward. The boss that I thought was the most challenging was the
Dancer
, but that was more of a case of me getting too greedy

KHlover

Banned
Also.

Why the fuck are the bonfires so far away from the boss fights.

It's not hard to get to the boss fight. It just takes up a lot of unnecessary time, especially when you die 200 times.
They're actually way closer and safer in this game than before. Try running back to Seath in DS1, that one has invisible paths and some strong enemies inbetween. Or O&S. Bed of Chaos. Artorias.
Pontiff
is just a short walk with no enemies.

ApharmdX

Banned
I need an alternate weapon recommendation, something faster that I can buff. I'm faith build, with main weapon Lightning Astora Greatsword +9 (+10 shortly), and I have stats to 1H it (16 STR/18 DEX).

Pontiff Sulyvahn
is so many epic levels of bullshit. I can't kill him. Hell, half the time, I can't even get him to phase 2. He's aggressive as hell.
The best advice I can give is to learn his moveset, because his moves are very possible to roll through and take no damage. Just remember: NEVER just roll backwards. That's how you get owned. Always try to roll forward or to the side depending on the attack.

For Phase 2, the trick is really to
focus on what the Phantom is doing, as Sulyvahn basically always repeats the same action a few seconds afterward. Focus on the Phantom's attacks to know what the Pontiff will do and plan your opportunities to attack accordingly.

Gbraga

I need an alternate weapon recommendation, something faster that I can buff. I'm faith build, with main weapon Lightning Astora Greatsword +9 (+10 shortly), and I have stats to 1H it (16 STR/18 DEX).

Straight Swords are REALLY good in this game, from my very limited experience. Never really liked them much in the previous games, but I'm loving the Irithyll Straight Sword

Cracklox

D
ragonslayer
boss fight. I'm fed up with this game. FED UP.

p.s. the patch didn't do anything to make Dancer's Enchanted Swords not garbage.

Yeah, I made a couple of posts exclaiming my frustration with that. Ended up summoning after 5 hours or so trying over 2 nights. Couldn't go to bed for the second night in a row his bitch, so bit the bullet and got help for the 1st time

Don't take this the wrong way but I'm just glad to see someone else struggling there . All these late game bosses people seem to be struggling with have different initials so I thought everyone face rolled that guy. He isn't even really that hard, its just 1 lapse of concentration was getting me killed constantly.

Agree on the swords too. They seem kinda weak even at +4. Crappy scaling is the issue I think.

Straight Swords are REALLY good in this game, from my very limited experience. Never really liked them much in the previous games, but I'm loving the Irithyll Straight Sword
Irithyll Straight Sword is God tier. Carried me through the entirety of NG

Oh no.

Horace

;________;

I must be a weirdo, I don't think I've encountered a place I've hated yet. I thought they all offered something unique and new and you had to play most of them with different strategies and man...even if they were frustrating I've not once been bogged down or loathed any of the places yet.

But yeah, that story I posted a page back is straight up my favorite thing that's happened in this game. So hilarious.

Okay so forget the interconnecticity gripe, this game IS FUCKING HUGE

As in, there are so many random side areas to explore thay the magic is still there

Fucking awesome

Jintor

Also.

It's not hard to get to the boss fight. It just takes up a lot of unnecessary time, especially when you die 200 times.

Souls gamers tend to develop the concept of shortcuts; not just ladders you kick down, but ways to get back to the boss chamber without having to spend too much time fucking around with mobs.

realistically it's to keep an element of danger to the boss fight and to keep the pressure on the player. If you just respawned right at the boss you'd avoid their first blow and go pick up your souls and get right back into it. This way you get frustrated and curse and there's a distinct possibility of getting more #rekt

Also.

If your run back to the boss fight ever takes longer than 60 seconds, you've probably missed a shortcut.

I've been using the Irithyll straight sword and I really enjoy it. Have it up to +3 but finding Twinking Titanite a pain to find. Is it a viable end game weapon or should I be looking at other alternatives? I'm up to
Fallon Keep

Gbraga

Irithyll Straight Sword is God tier. Carried me through the entirety of NG

I'm using it a lot now, along with the Deep Battle Axe, Fire Reinforced Club, that boss weapon with the evil eye effect and the Spiked Mace.

And bows, of course <3

jett

D-Member
Hmmm... Carthus Flame Arc can't be used on a weapon that is already infused? Damn.
Speaking of Carthus, it sucks that reinforcing Pyromancy Flame doesn't improve your attack buff at all, neither does wearing a ring that supposedly buffs Pyromancy.

They're actually way closer and safer in this game than before. Try running back to Seath in DS1, that one has invisible paths and some strong enemies inbetween. Or O&S. Bed of Chaos. Artorias.
Pontiff
is just a short walk with no enemies.

I didn't play Dark Souls all that much. Honestly, I cheesed parts of Demon's Souls by resetting my PS3, since the game saved after it was done loading the hub area lol. I just don't like to waste my time this way. The save points might be more plentiful now, but it's still a pain in the neck when you have to walk the same distance 50 times. There's no difficulty in getting to your destination most of the time. You're just wasting time. I don't really consider the fight you mentioned a "short" walk, either. Short by the standards of these games I guess.

Exploresque

Neo Member
After finishing the whole thing, I'm honestly blown away by (most of) the boss design. Many of them (
Abyss Watchers
Pontiff Sulyvahn
, etc.) demanded my constant attention and kept me fully engaged the whole time. I can't really say the same about almost any DaS2 bosses. I do mean in terms of soloing them by the way. Don't know how much the fights are trivialized in DS3 with summons, since I deliberately avoided them.

I've been using the Irithyll straight sword and I really enjoy it. Have it up to +3 but finding Twinking Titanite a pain to find. Is it a viable end game weapon or should I put looking at other alternatives? I'm up to
Fallon Keep
Irithyll Straight Sword is good all the way through the first playthrough. Better than good actually.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Anyone else trying to stick to a plain old sword and shield setup?

You would *think* a Strength build is a logical choice for that but apparently everyone and their mothers in the Dark Souls 3 universe build swords specifically for Dex build instead.

Gah. So many swords in the Dex category instead of strength. Painful for me to see >_>

ramyeon

Smouldering Lake is just fucking cruel.

So close to the damn ballista and they chuck fucking Black Knights and those ninja skeletons at you.

Is magic viable?

Ran a pyro build with (weapon spoiler even though everyone knows it's in the game)
Moonlight Greatsword
and really enjoyed it. Thinking of a magic build for NG+

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Tenth boss,
Yhorm the Giant
down. Pain in the ass. Second boss I've given and summons help for., got tired of the run to him.

I like the art design, I just thought that
blatant chalice dungeon reuse and giant laser insect was overkill.

Really loved the lightning worm myself. Just love all the enemy design in general. The best I've ever seen in any game, period. Some of this shit haunts my dreams. FROM are such talented, passionate game developers. I'm in so much awe over this game.

Oh my god, I am so goddam proud of myself. This game, man.

So I'm in the C
atacombs
of C
rapass
and I'll be honest and say the only reason I'm having trouble is cause I went a Dex Estoc build and instead of clearing out enemies I'm pretty much just running and gunning for items. So things are going decently and I get to the
bridge.
I read the message near it and have an idea of what happens but I have
Spook
so I figure I'll be fine and can collect some items. Hop on there and
freak the fuck out at the legion of skeletons that chase after me onto it. So I'm like "I ain't waiting for shit" and attack the rope to cut the bridge. So it falls and deposits me safely in that weird little area and I'm all "Huh...okay, what's here." Walk in and see that Stray Demon and lose my shit. Run run run run right past it with a horde of skeletons activating to the bonfire. When I catch my breath, I think for a second and wonder if I saw something right. I go back and activate all the skeletons and lead them up to the demon and sure enough they get into a throwdown. I sit back and watch on as the demon destroys all the skeletons then gets killed by the last two. I get the Demon Soul and just sit there laughing my ass off for a good 2 minutes. Clean up the last two skeletons and walk my way laughing to the treasure chest I ran past.

Then I get killed by a mimic.

-___-

A wild ride from start to finish, great tale!

astora's straight sword has served me fine. made it Heavy and am at +8.

Feels wrong to be on the same shit from the beginning and I'm sure there's better stuff, but got through (bosses)
aldritch, demon god, and dancer with it just fine
so not seeing any reasons to upgrade.

haven't really changed from the Lothric Knight armor set since the beginning either. only traded my shield out once for the shield of want.

also, it occurred to me today that weapon durability is in there just to keep people from complaining about them taking it out. it serves basically no purpose except a check on REALLY long times in between visiting bonfires/dying.

BizzyBum

What the fuck why is there a crab here why do I keep finding crabs everywhere why don't you go back to your home crab

I used to go catch crabs with some family during our summer vacations when I was younger and I used to be such a dick and poke them and shit when they were in the bucket.

I deserve this.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Is magic viable?

Ran a pyro build with (weapon spoiler even though everyone knows it's in the game)
Moonlight Greatsword
and really enjoyed it. Thinking of a magic build for NG+

Interested in this too, I've done strength, I'm doing dex and magic would be next if it's viable and not a chore.

GulAtiCa

So I take it all the spells that buff weapons (Carthus Flame Arc, Magic Weapon, Lightning, Dark, etc) can't be used on already infused magic weapons? I'm little sad to find out that My Fire Flamberge can't be buffed (like it could be in DK2). Maybe with Chaos infusion?

Would changing the infusion to something else be better?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom