• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aeana

toasty_T said:
yeahhhh... Lost Izalith.

Do I just run for my life?
There's two buildings in the middle of the zone. The left one just has a chest in it but it is a good place to go into the reset the aggro. The second one has a bonfire underneath it behind a false wall (false all is on the north side). Just run to it after that.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
toasty_T said:
yeahhhh... Lost Izalith.

Do I just run for my life?

You can bow cheese the Lava legs, took me abut 200 dragon arrows/bow to kill them all but you can run, nothing really down in the lava, can even run past all the fire guys to the boss (good pyro spell behind the 2nd squid thou).

If you run from lava legs, head straight to the middle island then keep that direction past it and you will see the way up out of the lake. Took me a long time to find it, that dam glow.

Speevy

Banned
Im_Special said:
Umm, scaling is well known actually. it has nothing to do with your level, difficulty ups at a percentage increasing damage/health/armor on a per mob basis with diminishing returns the more NG's you do. A general rule of thumb is the weaker the enemy the bigger the boost they get, for example on your first NG those beginning zombies see around a 300% increase in damage output, a boss might only see a 25% boost, NG+ those zombies would only gain another 25% and each NG after that would keep increasing by another 25% until your 7th NG where it'll cap out and stay put.

That'd be useful if the person I quoted had mentioned one thing about NG+.

Djin1979

I just beat it, I found it way easier than Demon souls... but I loved it :p

I started a NG+ and killed in a raw ; the asylum demon, taurus, the gargoyles, Pinwheel and Sif (maybe 1h30), NG+ is a walk in the park so far (melee class here)

mjc said:
So I was in Firelink and I decided to kill
Lautrec before he got to the firekeeper. Was this a wise move?

IMO yes. His armour is ok, but you can get better. His ring is great, and you get that plus 5 humanity. And you never have the annoyance of no bonfire for New Londo, depending on the order you do things. I let him live once to get revenge and it was nothing special, in my other games I just kill him outright.

However, you do miss out on a Souvenir of Reprisal if you are looking for those; you get it for doing the revenge quest.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Warnen said:
You can bow cheese the Lava legs, took me abut 200 dragon arrows/bow to kill them all but you can run, nothing really down in the lava, can even run past all the fire guys to the boss (good pyro spell behind the 2nd squid thou).

I really wouldn't use good (expensive) arrows on these guys, just buy a buttload of cheap ones instead. You'll notice after they take damage they will try to move closer, you can use this to your advantage both to increase your damage per shot, but also if they get trapped up they will use their big attacks damaging any other demons nearby.

Once I got to the central bonfire I found it pretty easy to clear out most of the area. I think there are about 5 of those
big dragon things
left now

Beats

Insaniac said:
one shotted an invader in the tomb of giants, and he left me 21k souls, 3 humanity a sanctum shield and "grant"

not bad :D

That's an NPC phantom. You can also get his armor set in the tomb at the end.

sleepykyo said:
You killed Leeroy.

I don't know that people know this, but keep sanctus in your inventory, people. Don't use it in battle cause it sucks, but once you have it, if you're ever in the "oh shit, I need health!" you can find a dark corner and sit there with sanctus equipped, regenerating 2 HP/second

Tenbatsu said:
Sigh, no wonder I am still alive after 2hrs of play, I know something is not right :(

Its not like Demons Souls is that hard either. As soon as you understand it's about being slow and methodical and not God of War, you don't die all that often. People who think its hard are usually the ones who are always running, shield down, and often out of stamina ;)

Aselith

WanderingWind said:
I just got invaded while messing around with my equip. I didn't have a weapon equipped :(
If you backstab an invader with bare hands, you punch a hole in his back and rip out his humanity. Shoulda done that.

JVIDICAN

Insaniac said:
rescued
reah
should I go ahead and kill
Petrus
??
Buy all her miracles and she'll go hollow anyways.
Petrus
may be a fatty sister killer, but at least he doesn't abandon you and end up going hollow like everyone else. :p

maomaoIYP

Just started a sorcerer guys :) I've played through 90% of the main game myself, but to get me up to speed from anyone who's done an experienced Sorcerer/Magic run, any goodies I should go get immediately after getting to firelink? I know I can get an Estoc below firelink somewhere.

This sorcerer guide seems pretty decent, although I don't think I'll be going for 70 in INT. More in Endurance I think.

I'm not going anywhere near the Drake Sword.

Quoting this because I started playing a sorc recently and I went a very different route. 1 point to VIT, 1 point to DEX, 1 point to END, 6 spell slots, everything else to INT.

I'm SL 50 now, INT is at 50. I've just cleared Seath for Logan's spells. No farming, no cheating.

Logan's staff / Tin Crystallization (for boss fights or PVP)
Heater Shield +10
Enchanted Bandit's Knife +5 (for the bleeding)
Full Antiquated Set, with the skirt at +5
Damage boosting sorcery ring, the other ring swaps in and out as I need it.

Deleveled the lightning spear then upgraded to get the moonlight spear but I never use it.
No crossbows, no bows, no other melee of any kind besides that tiny knife. I felt the whole point of trying to play a sorc was to stay completely out of any sort of melee range. Sure I can't take a hit, but the whole point was to not get hit at all. It works great, is super fun and I can eat bosses for breakfast.

JVIDICAN said:
Petrus
may be a fatty sister killer, but at least he doesn't abandon you and end up going hollow like everyone else. :p

So can you deliberately not buy one and kill
Petrus
to save her?

JVIDICAN said:
Petrus

Not necessarily.
She didn't for me. She was still praying there when I was about to take on the final boss.
I think it's because I killed
Petrus
before I rescued her.

She was very sad when I confirmed that I had long since bought her out of items and she was of no more use to me. She met with the same fate as every NPC other than the one I forgot (Bishop of Velka)... a healthy diet of crystal magic uchigatana +14 to the face with a side of crystal soulmass. They all died before they could really aggro. :lol

Speevy

Banned
Weird thing. That guy who tries to kill you in the Tomb of the Giants.

I killed him. Dead as can be. Got all his loot too.

He's now one of my merchants in Firelink. Huh?

maomaoIYP said:
Quoting this because I started playing a sorc recently and I went a very different route. 1 point to VIT, 1 point to DEX, 1 point to END, 6 spell slots, everything else to INT.

I'm SL 50 now, INT is at 50. I've just cleared Seath for Logan's spells. No farming, no cheating.

Logan's staff / Tin Crystallization (for boss fights or PVP)
Heater Shield +10
Enchanted Bandit's Knife +5 (for the bleeding)
Full Antiquated Set, with the skirt at +5
Damage boosting sorcery ring, the other ring swaps in and out as I need it.

Deleveled the lightning spear then upgraded to get the moonlight spear but I never use it.
No crossbows, no bows, no other melee of any kind besides that tiny knife. I felt the whole point of trying to play a sorc was to stay completely out of any sort of melee range. Sure I can't take a hit, but the whole point was to not get hit at all. It works great, is super fun and I can eat bosses for breakfast.

With my all around character that's on NG++, he became a sorcerer-swordsman -- usually go for lighter equipment and rock darkwraith chest and head +5 and goldhemmed gauntlets and waistcloth with hollow shield+15...

Anyway, my point was that I randomly started using the Moonlight Greatsword +5. Holy shit. On counterhit to the silver knights in Anor Londo, I do 382 damage with a light attack on NG++. ^_^

Varna

I'm farming the baby skeletons while I wait to be summoned for the boss fight... three times now the boss fight starts all right and a few minutes in nito stops doing anything and I get a "lost connection" message. :(

Speevy said:
Weird thing. That guy who tries to kill you in the Tomb of the Giants.

I killed him. Dead as can be. Got all his loot too.

He's now one of my merchants in Firelink. Huh?

:( I accidentally told him I was a cleric and he tried to kill me. Does he sell anything good?

Speevy

Banned
Varna said:
:( I accidentally told him I was a cleric and he tried to kill me. Does he sell anything good?

He sells some humanity for ridiculous prices, some decent spells and miracles. I have no use for any of that right now.

Varna said:
I'm farming the baby skeletons while I wait to be summoned for the boss fight... three times now the boss fight starts all right and a few minutes in nito stops doing anything and I get a "lost connection" message. :(

He sells Eyes of Death which you'll want if you are going for the miracles achieve/trophy.

... well. Almost took out
Seath the Scaleless
on my first try with 5 Estus Flasks. I even ran through the area with
Man-Eater Shells
who just kept after me when I entered the area... of course,
Seath
took them out for me. I'll make sure to take them out before, next time.

Great fight though.

Speevy

Banned
MeBecomingI said:
Seath the Scaleless
Man-Eater Shells
Seath

Great fight though.

DO NOT engage the clams. If they nail you with a grab attack, you're toast, and so is your armor/weapons.

Just killed Gravelord Nito with my second character. Unfortunately I wasn't thinking at all, and forgot to equip my pyromancy glove (I wanted to keep both my Divine Scimitar and Fire Falchion equipped), so I ended up nearly getting killed twice while trying to equip it. I ended up just saying fuck it (and that one skeleton that survived), and one handed my Fire Falchion, got up in Nito's grill, and sliced until he stopped moving. I have no idea how I won.

Speevy said:
DO NOT engage the clams. If they nail you with a grab attack, you're toast, and so is your armor/weapons.

Why not? Those things are so easy to get behind and stun-lock, if you fight them one at a time. Plus they drop those anti-curse stones and Twinkling Titanite.

MeBecomingI said:
Seath the Scaleless
Man-Eater Shells
Seath

Great fight though.

They can only enter the first time.

we.are.the.armada said:
He sells Eyes of Death which you'll want if you are going for the miracles achieve/trophy.

Not even worth it -- you can easily find 6 per playthrough and since you need 10 and the max is 9 without farming, you'll be playing NG+ for the miracles anyway. As such, you can get your 10 without needing Patches. :)

I bought him out of humanity/twin humanity; He had heal and greater heal, I think... and he sells some cleric armor and the other masks of pinwheel (mask of mother, mask of father) which act like tiny being ring (hit point increase) and havel's ring (stamina increase) respectively.

JVIDICAN

Thagomizer said:
So can you deliberately not buy one and kill
Petrus
to save her?
she'll still wander off into dukes archive like an idiot and go hollow. :/

corrosivefrost said:
Not necessarily.
She didn't for me. She was still praying there when I was about to take on the final boss.
I think it's because I killed
Petrus
before I rescued her.

She was very sad when I confirmed that I had long since bought her out of items and she was of no more use to me. She met with the same fate as every NPC other than the one I forgot (Bishop of Velka)... a healthy diet of crystal magic uchigatana +14 to the face with a side of crystal soulmass. They all died before they could really aggro. :lol
Completing all the areas up to the Kiln without completing the npc dialog will actually break a lot of there paths. In my game the first sorcery teacher never left for dukes archive(looking for logan) because I hadn't exhausted all of his dialogue/bought all his spells before reaching the Kiln.

JVIDICAN said:
she'll still wander off into dukes archive like an idiot and go hollow. :/

Completing all the areas up to the Kiln without completing the npc dialog will actually break a lot of there paths. In my game the first sorcery teacher never left for dukes archive(looking for logan) because I hadn't exhausted all of his dialogue/bought all his spells before reaching the Kiln.

I completed all her dialogue long before the kiln -- but maybe not all of Petrus, that was impossible given the circumstances... :lol

Speevy

Banned
RoboGeorgeForeman said:
Why not? Those things are so easy to get behind and stun-lock, if you fight them one at a time. Plus they drop those anti-curse stones and Twinkling Titanite.

Because it's a bad idea to fight extra bad guys you can just run past on your way to a boss?

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
I can't beat the Capra demon. I killed the two dogs but he just follows me up the stairs and there is no room to fight anywhere there.

ShaneB

truly101 said:
I can't beat the Capra demon. I killed the two dogs but he just follows me up the stairs and there is no room to fight anywhere there.

Jump down, and make sure you get him positioned so he jumps down as well. Just cycle around like that and take your shots.

Leunam

truly101 said:

In addition to the above advice, you can block anything he throws at you quite comfortable except his double handed swings.

EasyMode

toasty_T said:
What the eff?

I broke some branches and hit a little bug thing with my R2 attack and that was it
Yep... "This is what's been handing my ass to me? This?!" There's no sense of relief either, I just felt dumber afterwards.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Bonfire in the Crystal Caves?

Seath is kicking my ass and it's going to take I while.

I'm cursed, do I need to get out of here and take care of it? Where's the nearest warp back going to be?

JVIDICAN

Hawkian said:
Bonfire in the Crystal Caves?

Seath is kicking my ass and it's going to take I while.

I'm cursed, do I need to get out of here and take care of it? Where's the nearest warp back going to be?
There is a bonfire... But you need to beat Seath to use it. :)
Nearest bonfire would be the second one in Dukes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom