• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alright... I'm level 50 now. I played for three fucking hours last night trying to beat the boss battle in Anor Londor and I'm getting pissed. I can't play online due to my living situation at the moment so I can't get help that way. I can kill the FAT one but then the other guy kills me. I tried killing the other guy first but just can't seem to do it. I'm getting to the point of huge frustration. So with that said, should I just make my way all the way back through Sens Fortress and try going for another route at the moment?

Nothing in the cave. The breath attack is pretty easy to avoid, otherwise he doesn't hit that hard.

I managed to best him while cursed but I'm predominantly I pyro so I was able to keep my distance.

Beats

Hawkian said:
Bonfire in the Crystal Caves?

Seath is kicking my ass and it's going to take I while.

I'm cursed, do I need to get out of here and take care of it? Where's the nearest warp back going to be?

There's a bonfire after you beat him :p

The clams drop purging stones at a fairly high rate if you have the gold serpent ring.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
slasher_thrasher21 said:
Alright... I'm level 50 now. I played for three fucking hours last night trying to beat the boss battle in Anor Londor and I'm getting pissed. I can't play online due to my living situation at the moment so I can't get help that way. I can kill the FAT one but then the other guy kills me. I tried killing the other guy first but just can't seem to do it. I'm getting to the point of huge frustration. So with that said, should I just make my way all the way back through Sens Fortress and try going for another route at the moment?
It will be so satisfying if you beat them. I didn't do it without summoning, but I know some strategies. What kind of character are you?

The fight will be easier if you kill Ornstein first.

Beats said:
There's a bonfire after you beat him :p

The clams drop purging stones at a fairly high rate if you have the gold serpent ring.
Aha! Excellent.

slasher_thrasher21 said:

Dude I hear ya, I'm having the same trouble in NG++ SL237 on that fight. I heard that fat guy is weak to lightning while dragoon is weak to flame but I haven't tried it out because of UC3. Can anybody confirm this?

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
So I'm pretty sure that all the NPC phantoms save Solaire and Lautrec are references/homages to other things, but I'm not really sure what one of them is. The ones I'm at least fairly certain about are:

Paladin Leeroy - Reference to Leeroy Jenkins, the overly-enthusiastic World of Warcraft Paladin who was a bit of an internet sensation once upon a time, long long ago.

Witch Beatrice - Reference to Beatrice, a witch in a game/anime series called Umineko No Naku Koro Ni. I'm pretty much completely unfamiliar with it, but the reference was pointed out to me earlier in this thread by cj_iwakura, and it seems to fit. Note that the description of Beatrice's Catalyst mentions that she learned magic from someplace other than the Vinheim Dragon School.

King Jeremiah - Obviously his headgear is an homage to the ostentatious headgear you get in Demon's Souls for being the boss of 3-3. Based on how the item descriptions for his armor reference that he's from far away and explicitly note its brilliant yellow color I suspect he is also a reference to Robert W. Chambers' classic horror story anthology The King in Yellow, which was a tremendous influence on such better-known authors as H.P. Lovecraft and Robert E. Howard.

Black Iron Tarkus - This one I'm less certain about, but I think that he might be a reference to the 70's British rock ballad Tarkus, about a primordial tank that is also an armadillo that gets killed by a manticore. Tarkus is kind of a tank and he definitely got killed by something. Like I said, I'm less confident in this interpretation than the others, but hey, armadillo tank.

And the one I'm completely uncertain of:

Kirk, Knight of Thorns - No idea. He fits the basic profile of the others in that he's an NPC phantom who gives you his equipment, but I got bupkis in terms of what he might be referencing. Omitting Solaire and Lautrec, who are actual characters within the game world in their own right outside of their role as phantoms, he's the only one left, unless I'm completely overlooking something.

Hawkian said:
It will be so satisfying if you beat them. I didn't do it without summoning, but I know some strategies. What kind of character are you?

The fight will be easier if you kill Ornstein first.

I'm a pyromancer and level 50. I didn't update my fire stuff very well though and I don't have any real elemental items to use to make my weapons awesome or anything like that. Using Drake Sword +3. But yeah I just have such a hard time. Its so frustrating. I mean 3 hours and only leveled up 3 times.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
slasher_thrasher21 said:
I'm a pyromancer and level 50. I didn't update my fire stuff very well though and I don't have any real elemental items to use to make my weapons awesome or anything like that. Using Drake Sword +3. But yeah I just have such a hard time. Its so frustrating. I mean 3 hours and only leveled up 3 times.
What spells do you have and what have you been using in the fight?

maomaoIYP

slasher_thrasher21 said:

What spells do you have? Are you using a shield?

Edit: beaten lol

Varna

I'm in desperate need of help!

So here is my situation... I went through the chaos covenants shortcut went into Lost Izalith. I knew I should have went back and just spend the 200,000 souls and 30 humanity I am walking around with... but like a dumb ass I decided to move forward. I killed the titanite demon and cleared the room at the end of the wall way. Of course rush to the treasure in the distance and the damn floor caves in... How do I get to the nearest bondfire?

maomaoIYP

Varna said:

So here is my situation... I went through the chaos covenants shortcut went into Lost Izalith. I knew I should have went back and just spend the 200,000 souls and 30 humanity I am walking around with... but like a dumb ass I decided to move forward. I killed the titanite demon and cleared the room at the end of the wall way. Of course rush to the treasure in the distance and the damn floor caves in... How do I get to the nearest bondfire?

The nearest bonfire is in an area that you cannot reach because you used the shortcut. The next nearest is back at the spider lady where you came from. The place you are in now is just a small area which will eventually lead you back out, so don't worry.

Varna said:

In that trap pit there is a large root that leads out - not too hard to find, then just backtrack from the titanite demon to the bonfire.

ixix

Varna said:

The nearest bonfire is the one you came from, unless
you've beaten the Centipede Demon and gotten the ring that lets you survive walking through lava, in which case you can head for the other entrance of Izalith and brave the lava and dragon asses to get to the bonfire behind a hidden door in one of the buildings in the lava lake.

If you really want out without risking your souls, though, your best option is a Homeward Bone if you've got one.

slasher_thrasher21 said:
It took me 5 fire orbs to take down Ornstein then I used all my great combustions on Smough.

Actually getting all those to connect was a pain in the ass though

maomaoIYP said:
What spells do you have? Are you using a shield?

Edit: beaten lol

I'm using the crystal shield I think +5. I think that's the name. Its the one that boosts your stamina. Also only spells I have are the fireball, the greater fireball (4 shots) and regular soul arrow. My magic is fairly weak. Thats why I'm wondering if I should head back and do the forest area and beat Sif. I left him alive but went through the area once. I could level up/get some better spells. Any recommendation?

Varna

Thanks guys. I fucken died though. I couldn't find anything that lead me out so I killed all those plant things that were in the pit.. I jump down thinking I got them all and there is one more... never seen one before so of course I try and defend against it's breath attack only to have my equipment all broken... I run past it and look around for a way out.. I see a whole in the ground... figure it's been then nothing... :(

EDIT: Didn't have any homeward bones.

How do you guys get 30+ humanity? So far I've barely ever got any and the only way to stay human in this game seems to be to farm in the depths for hours...

maomaoIYP

slasher_thrasher21 said:
I'm using the crystal shield I think +5. I think that's the name. Its the one that boosts your stamina. Also only spells I have are the fireball, the greater fireball (4 shots) and regular soul arrow. My magic is fairly weak. Thats why I'm wondering if I should head back and do the forest area and beat Sif. I left him alive but went through the area once. I could level up/get some better spells. Any recommendation?

That's the grass crest shield. Swap to one that lets you block 100% physical damage, at least for the duration of the fight. The easier way to kill the two bosses is to kill the spear dude first. Start off with whatever spells you like. Spear dude is fast, but his attacks are easily side-rolled. Whenever you've successfully rolled away, hit him with a spell.

Try to keep both bosses in sight at all times by backpedalling in a circle around the map. Take note that you can also trap them by keeping a pillar between you and the boss. Once the spear dude is dead the fat guy is largely the same except for one attack where he jumps vertically into the air and splashes down with lots of lightning. The only way to escape that is to run. Fat guy once by himself is easily trapped by a pillar. Once your spells are all gone wait for their attacks to whiff before you slash them once or twice before you back off again.

mudkyp

Varna said:
Thanks guys. I fucken died though. I couldn't find anything that lead me out so I killed all those plant things that were in the pit.. I jump down thinking I got them all and there is one more... never seen one before so of course I try and defend against it's breath attack only to have my equipment all broken... I run past it and look around for a way out.. I see a whole in the ground... figure it's been then nothing... :(

This story is the epitome of sadness.

Zzoram

vodka-bull said:
How do you guys get 30+ humanity? So far I've barely ever got any and the only way to stay human in this game seems to be to farm in the depths for hours...

wear serpent's ring to boost drop rate

go to Tomb of Giants, get to the skeleton babies room before the boss, they infinitely respawn and drop humanity

ixix

Varna said:

You were actually headed the right way, if that makes you feel better. You need to jump down into the poison floor area then take stairs back up to a higher area to get yourself out of there, so you were on the right track.

maomaoIYP

Varna said:

The way out of the pit is actually to walk along those thick vines that you can see. Now that the floor is caved in you can actually go back down using the vines, so go back for those souls!

Varna

vodka-bull said:

Tomb of Giants... at the very end there is an awesome farming spot for souls and humanity.

ixix said:
You were actually headed the right way, if that makes you feel better. You need to jump down into the poison floor area then take stairs back up to a higher area to get yourself out of there, so you were on the right track.

I panicked when all my equipment broke. :( The thing never actually hit me but I'm sure it would have been an instant KO.

maomaoIYP said:
The way out of the pit is actually to walk along those thick vines that you can see. Now that the floor is caved in you can actually go back down using the vines, so go back for those souls!

Not even going to fuck with that. Homeward bones are stocked. Knowing my luck I will die on that titanite demon in the bridge... hate those things.

JVIDICAN

Lol strong magic shield makes you completely immortal even with the shield down.. I think I just found my go to strategy for Bed of chaos. >:D

ixix

toasty_T said:
Lost Izalith wasn't that bad to be honest. Not worth the effort to circumvent it.

Not worth the effort? The shortcut is the only way to
save Solaire.
If you don't take it you are a bad person.

Zzoram

JVIDICAN said:
Lol strong magic shield makes you completely immortal even with the shield down.. I think I just found my go to strategy for Bed of chaos. >:D

Ya when I noticed that, I stopped using Iron Flesh against bosses and use that instead since I can still run with strong magic shield.

Varna

Yup... tried to run past the titanite demon... one shot in the back. :(

Excuse me while I go cry now.

Speaking of the baby skeleton room.. do they spawn faster then one of those spell casters is alive? They seem to...

Zzoram said:
wear serpent's ring to boost drop rate

go to Tomb of Giants, get to the skeleton babies room before the boss, they infinitely respawn and drop humanity
I've been there but got my ass kicked so I decided I won't re-visit it until I'm at least at SL 75. Terrible dungeon and enemy design all the way down there...

ixix said:
Not worth the effort? The shortcut is the only way to
save Solaire.
If you don't take it you are a bad person.
I don't care about any of the NPCs except for the firekeeper at Firelink Shrine

She sounds so sad :(

Zzoram

vodka-bull said:
I've been there but got my ass kicked so I decided I won't re-visit it until I'm at least at SL 75. Terrible dungeon and enemy design all the way down there...

Once you get to that room and kill all the mini pinwheels, you can stay there forever. The baby skeletons respawn without needing a bonfire. Just make sure you have 20 Estus so you can hang out as long as possible.

You have to go into the water to trigger their respawning. Beware though, the water is poison.

JVIDICAN

toasty_T said:

Solaire sounds sad too. :(
He'd definitely be my right hand man as the new dark lord. lol.

Varna

What kind of defenses do you even need to survive some of this later stuff and NG+? I'm running around with at least 300 on everything physical and stuff still just wrecks me when it makes contact.

Still only have 10 vitality to maybe that's why... :X

Zzoram

Varna said:
What kind of defenses do you even need to survive some of this later stuff and NG+? I'm running around with at least 300 on everything physical and stuff still just wrecks me when it makes contact.

How much vitality do you have?

It's more important to block or dodge than tank hits, period. Armor is nice but you can't count on it to save you.

Zzoram said:
Once you get to that room and kill all the mini pinwheels, you can stay there forever. The baby skeletons respawn without needing a bonfire. Just make sure you have 20 Estus so you can hang out as long as possible.

You have to go into the water to trigger their respawning. Beware though, the water is poison.

I never got any poison from the water, only from the baby skeletons hitting me.
Also, instead of 20 estus, just wear the evil eye ring -- it should keep you near full health unless you get mobbed somehow.

Okay...got to the pinwheels and infinite spawning babies in Tomb of the Giants.

Yay for getting to the second bonfire but man...any tips on killing the pinwheels without falling into the toxic water?

Should I go ranged with spells or is there a quick and dirty, up close and personal way to take them out?

Zzoram said:

K, that answered some of it. :D Thanks.

Dresden

bigdaddygamebot said:
Okay...got to the pinwheels and infinite spawning babies in Tomb of the Giants.

Yay for getting to the second bonfire but man...any tips on killing the pinwheels without falling into the toxic water?

Should I go ranged with spells or is there a quick and dirty, up close and personal way to take them out?
Just run up to them and bash their faces in, they fold fast.

Varna said:
Still only have 10 vitality to maybe that's why... :X
25 Vitality with Elite Knight armor +10 among other equipment and I still get one shotted, lol. I wouldn't survive without the dark grain wood ring.

Varna

Dresden said:
25 Vitality with Elite Knight armor +10 among other equipment and I still get one shotted, lol. I wouldn't survive without the dark grain wood ring.

Damn. That's the armor I'm using (nearly +10 on all pieces). :/

Back to baby skeletons for me. At least farming souls (and helping people with the boss) is still pretty fast grinding.

ixix

toasty_T said:

So the dude who jovially cooperates with you against all manner of fell, horrible beasties from one end of the world to the other without asking for so much as a word of thanks in return you couldn't care less about. He gets
driven mad by an odious insect latching on to his head
? Eh, no skin off your nose.

But sulky ol' Debbie Downer who does nothing but sit in a cage and mope just got
bumped off by a sketchy knight wearing armor that gives infinite hugs
? This is a travesty. She must be restored post-haste so that she can add maudlin whining to her repertoire of uselessness.

Your priorities sicken me.

Aselith

subversus said:
this is not right, it's OT3 and and it's on page 198. wtf

The really amazing thing is that of the nearly 10,000 posts, the highest post count is 308 which means that there are a ton of different people posting. Usually a thread of this size will have one or two posters approaching 1,000 posts because they're monopolizing the discussion. Pretty impressive.

Zzoram

Aselith said:
The really amazing thing is that of the nearly 10,000 posts, the highest post count is 308 which means that there are a ton of different people posting. Usually a thread of this size will have one or two posters approaching 1,000 posts because they're monopolizing the discussion. Pretty impressive.

Another reason why this thread shouldn't be banished to Community. The Souls OT threads in Gaming have always been very accessible to new people and always drawing in new posters and new people to the game. The threads typically moved to Community only have ~20 regular posters and nobody else ever looks in them. Moving this thread to Community will kill it.

Unlike other OTs, every page of this thread is full of people asking for help or advice, not just pages of people debating minutia.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom