• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dresden

Best shields:

88 stability - Greatshield of Artorias ( no upgrades needed to achieve this level of protection once made; requires a +10 Tower Shield along with Sif's Soul)

85 stability - Hollow Soldier's Shield ( +15/requires a Titanite Slab)

84 stability - Eagle Shield ( +15/requires a Titanite Slab)
84 stability - Havel's Greatshield ( requires 50 strength to wield/no upgrades needed/great resistances to magic, fire, and lightning)

83 stability - Silver Knight Shield (+5/requires 10 twinkling titanites)

Niche shields:

Black Knight Shield - 95% Fire Reduction

Crest Shield - 80% Magic Reduction

Grass Crest Shield - Stamina Regen

Sanctus - HP Regen in a pinch

Crystal Ring Shield - BFG

maomaoIYP said:
That's the grass crest shield. Swap to one that lets you block 100% physical damage, at least for the duration of the fight. The easier way to kill the two bosses is to kill the spear dude first. Start off with whatever spells you like. Spear dude is fast, but his attacks are easily side-rolled. Whenever you've successfully rolled away, hit him with a spell.

Try to keep both bosses in sight at all times by backpedalling in a circle around the map. Take note that you can also trap them by keeping a pillar between you and the boss. Once the spear dude is dead the fat guy is largely the same except for one attack where he jumps vertically into the air and splashes down with lots of lightning. The only way to escape that is to run. Fat guy once by himself is easily trapped by a pillar. Once your spells are all gone wait for their attacks to whiff before you slash them once or twice before you back off again.

Sound good. My issue is that seems whenever I focus on that guy, the fat ass just runs his ass and pounds me good. He hardly ever stay away and charges in like crazy. I've been using the pillars as a boundary, so I will try that more. If I can't beat them later tonight I can see myself taking a break for a bit. If I can just kill the small guy first... that's going to be my goal.

Zzoram

slasher_thrasher21 said:
Sound good. My issue is that seems whenever I focus on that guy, the fat ass just runs his ass and pounds me good. He hardly ever stay away and charges in like crazy. I've been using the pillars as a boundary, so I will try that more. If I can't beat them later tonight I can see myself taking a break for a bit. If I can just kill the small guy first... that's going to be my goal.

Run back and forth across the room. Slim runs faster, it's how you separate them for a few seconds.

IrishNinja

1) if i take on these 4 kings and give the lordvessel to this other bad guy, i think im locked into the bad ending, which is fine - but am i locked out of any areas like duke's library or whatever? also, do i lose the ability to warp after that point?

2) i need titanite chunks. where's a good farming spot?

Zzoram

IrishNinja said:
1) if i take on these 4 kings and give the lordvessel to this other bad guy, i think im locked into the bad ending, which is fine - but am i locked out of any areas like duke's library or whatever? also, do i lose the ability to warp after that point?

Kanthe is actually the good ending. Frampt in Firelink Shrine is the bad ending, he's playing you for a fool.

You don't lose the ability to warp, but giving the Lord Vessel to either of the serpents unlocks Duke's Library, Lost Izalith, and Tomb of the Giants.

Kiln of the First Flame, the tiny level before the final boss, has 5 Black Knights that always drop chunks of various types of titanite. Kill them, stop at the Fog Gate, then Homeward back to the Lord Vessel bonfire and repeat. You can only open the gate to the Kiln of the First Flame after beating the all the main bosses in the game and offering their souls to the Lord Vessel.

Zzoram said:
Ya when I noticed that, I stopped using Iron Flesh against bosses and use that instead since I can still run with strong magic shield.

The description made it sounds like it adds magic protection to your shield only?
So it's worth buying that spell?

IrishNinja

Zzoram said:
Kanthe is actually the good ending. Frampt in Firelink Shrine is the bad ending, he's playing you for a fool.

You don't lose the ability to warp, but giving the Lord Vessel to either of the serpents unlocks Duke's Library, Lost Izalith, and Tomb of the Giants.

Kiln of the First Flame, the tiny level before the final boss, has 5 Black Knights that always drop chunks of various types of titanite. Kill them, stop at the Fog Gate, then Homeward back to the Lord Vessel bonfire and repeat.

you're awesome, zzoram. i was just about to walk back through the catacombs to get to the tomb again, guess it's time for the 4 kings! and looking forward to that farming later.

ps for NG+, i only lose story-related stuff like covenant rings, peculiar doll, lord vessel and such right? everything else should carry over?

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
IrishNinja said:

The determiner of your ending is
what you do after you beat the final boss. Nothing else matters.

You've got three main options for Titanite Chunks:

- The two giants in Anor Londo guarding the main hall outside the room where you fight Smough and Ornstein.
- Darkwraiths in the New Londo Ruins after the water has been drained.
- Enemies in the game's final area drop plain, red, white, and blue Titanite Chunks 100% of the time. A single run will always net you 2 plain and 1 of each color.

maomaoIYP

Dresden said:
Best shields:

88 stability - Greatshield of Artorias ( no upgrades needed to achieve this level of protection once made; requires a +10 Tower Shield along with Sif's Soul)

Can be a +10 of any kind of shield, I made it with a cracked crap shield.

There's also the effigy shield, which is a medium shield with 90% lightning absorption.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
See You Next Wednesday said:
The description made it sounds like it adds magic protection to your shield only?
So it's worth buying that spell?

It's supposed to temporarily give your shield 100% damage resistance to all forms of attack.

What it actually does, at least until the patch comes out, is give you 100% damage resistance to all forms of attack. In other words, the only thing that can kill you when you have it active is a suitably long fall.

Paired with the glitch that gives you infinite spell castings it can make you permanently invincible.

Zzoram

IrishNinja said:
you're awesome, zzoram. i was just about to walk back through the catacombs to get to the tomb again, guess it's time for the 4 kings! and looking forward to that farming later.

ps for NG+, i only lose story-related stuff like covenant rings, peculiar doll, lord vessel and such right? everything else should carry over?

Yep. You lose certain critical keys, the Lord Vessel, the abysswalker and lava rings, doll, rite of kindling, and embers.

Bonfire kindling level, Estus flask upgrade level carry over along with everything else in your inventory and bottomless box. Kindle as many key bonfires to 20 Estus as you can before going to NG+, it'll make NG+ much easier. It's also easiest to make as many maxed out weapons as you can before NG+ so you don't have to worry as much about finding the embers again to get those trophies. You will still need NG+ to get a few slabs to finish ~3 of the weapon upgrade trophies though.

I recently rushed through all the levels just to get to their bonfires and kindle them to 20 Estus in preparation for NG+.

FUCK!
One F'n God damn hour fighting the Stray demon.
I got him down to half of his health using the strategy from youtube videos, but he gets too close to the wall & I have to run around away from him too far & his damn swipe attacks/fire attack combo always gets me.
I just said fuck it & went to Blighttown via Valley of the Drakes

Climbed down to the first Dart shooter & oh yeah, apparently I can't target them.
I kept hitting the lock on button when I was standing next to him & it would constantly lock on to a mosquito stuck on a wall.
So he poisons me in the meantime & I'm in a rush to find the item that cures it in my inventory. Waste a few seconds & I find it & then I die before I can use it.

Raged quit.

bathala

Banned
Dresden said:
Best shields:

84 stability - Havel's Greatshield ( requires 50 strength to wield/no upgrades needed/great resistances to magic, fire, and lightning)

Niche shields:

Thanks for this.

Might go hollow shield

Zzoram

FUCK!
I got him down to half of his health using the strategy from youtube videos, but he gets too close to the wall & I have to run around away from him too far & his damn swipe attacks/fire attack combo always gets me.

Climbed down to the first Dart shooter & oh yeah, apparently I can't target them.
I kept hitting the lock on button when I was standing next to him & it would constantly lock on to a mosquito stuck on a wall.
So he poisons me in the meantime & I'm in a rush to find the item that cures it in my inventory. Waste a few seconds & I find it & then I die before I can use it.

Raged quit.

Don't use lock on when it's not cooperating, you can melee just fine without it.

Dart shooters actually use Toxin, which uses the more expensive and rarer purple and white moss to cure, and Toxin drains your health way faster than poison.

Luckily, dart shooters DO NOT RESPAWN. Suicide run to kill one or two at a time, once you've gotten rid of most of them, you can get through the level without ever worrying about Toxin again.

Booshka

Was able to get 10 Souvenir's of Reprisal, farmed 5 of them and the other 5 I got from actual invasions, 4 were from the same dude, and one was from a 10 min fight with some Magic Shield using asshole. I had to use 8 Humanity to heal during the fight, the guy would just be invulnerable and spam Homing Soulmass and other sorcery. I could break his guard like it was nothing, but he was invincible most of the fight. Finally got him to chase me a little further into the level and he aggro'd some enemies. His Magic Shield ran out, and while he was trying to cast it again he got stunned by an undead dude, and I came in and destroyed him with a 3 hit combo for 1400 damage.

I had 38 Humanity on me from farming and healing, so I went to the Darkwraith's Covenant and donated 25 of it. Went to Anor Londo and had a few good invasions, fought the same guy twice, and both fights were pretty good, but I was able to beat him both times. Another guy was fully armored with Havel's gear, but then I saw he still had the Drake sword, so I laughed a little and just started wailing on him, he hit me like 3 times and only did 150 damage. Killed him easily. I was about to invade another guy, but he ran from me and started the boss fight lol. Then I got summoned and wandered around with the guy until he got invaded by a Darkmoon member, I stood aside and let them duel. The invader destroyed him with a sweet parry & riposte, he had the Hornet ring and got a custom riposte animation, it looked pretty amazing.

I've been messing around with a very aggressive PvP build, I have the Stamina Mask on, Grass Crest Shield on my back, 2 Hand the BK Great Axe+5 and have the flip ring on as well. I have pretty good gear on as well, +10 Elite Knight Armor, +5 Antiquated Skirt, and Havel's Gauntlets to give me at least 40 poise. It works pretty well if I play very aggressive but also evade when necessary.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
So, I'm running back into the Duke's Archives. I don't know how to get back to where I was because of what happens to you the first time...

web01

Zzoram said:
Another reason why this thread shouldn't be banished to Community. The Souls OT threads in Gaming have always been very accessible to new people and always drawing in new posters and new people to the game. The threads typically moved to Community only have ~20 regular posters and nobody else ever looks in them. Moving this thread to Community will kill it.

Unlike other OTs, every page of this thread is full of people asking for help or advice, not just pages of people debating minutia.

Quoting for truth.

Zzoram said:
Dart shooters actually use Toxin, which uses the more expensive and rarer purple and white moss to cure, and Toxin drains your health way faster than poison.

Luckily, dart shooters DO NOT RESPAWN. Suicide run to kill one or two at a time, once you've gotten rid of most of them, you can get through the level without ever worrying about Toxin again.

Still a pain in the ass to redo those section everytime for one enemy.
Another thing I have to get off my chest, the official strategy guide has some of the shittest drawn maps for Blighttown.
That was one of the main reasons I bought the damn book & it's incomprehensible to figure out.

Anyone know any good youtube links that goes through the entire level & get all the rare items?

Booshka

Zzoram said:
Yep. You lose certain critical keys, the Lord Vessel, the abysswalker and lava rings, doll, rite of kindling, and embers.

Bonfire kindling level, Estus flask upgrade level carry over along with everything else in your inventory and bottomless box. Kindle as many key bonfires to 20 Estus as you can before going to NG+, it'll make NG+ much easier. It's also easiest to make as many maxed out weapons as you can before NG+ so you don't have to worry as much about finding the embers again to get those trophies. You will still need NG+ to get a few slabs to finish ~3 of the weapon upgrade trophies though.

I recently rushed through all the levels just to get to their bonfires and kindle them to 20 Estus in preparation for NG+.
I mentioned this earlier, but you only need to kindle bonfires to 15 on one playthrough for them to then be kindled to 20 on another playthrough. You do not need the Rite of Kindling if it is at 15 already. Most bonfires dont need to be past 15 anyway, so unless you have a bunch of Humanity you have no other use for, don't worry about taking all the bonfires to 20, just a few that are high traffic and convenient to you.

Zzoram

Still a pain in the ass to redo those section everytime for one enemy.
Another thing I have to get off my chest, the official strategy guide has some of the shittest drawn maps for Blighttown.
That was one of the main reasons I bought the damn book & it's incomprehensible to figure out.

Anyone know any good youtube links that goes through the entire level & get all the rare items?

EpicNameBro did a run through it and shows how to get some stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K60A0A4rY1w
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0rwczXzYXo

Insaniac

for the love of god tell me these half dragons don't spawn again in lost izalith or else fuck this and I'm farming 30 humanity

edit what the fuck in gods name were they thinking when they designed this area?!

Zzoram

Insaniac said:
for the love of god tell me these half dragons don't spawn again in lost izalith or else fuck this and I'm farming 30 humanity

they don't respawn

you just need to kill the ones on the way to the bonfire, then up out of the lava, there are plenty you can ignore or run past

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Zzoram said:
they don't respawn

you just need to kill the ones on the way to the bonfire, then up out of the lava, there are plenty you can ignore or run past
I didn't kill a single one. Had no clue they didn't respawn.

IrishNinja

you guys are awesome here. more questions!

-where is the vow of silence? i cleared out the painted world, got all the other stuff (even after unlocking that one door), still nothin'. where'd i miss it?

-Griggs of Vinheim is supposed to be hollow over in Sen's, he even said he'd be leaving but he's still in firelink last i checked. where does he haunt when he goes over there? if he doesn't mosey on over, can i just off him in firelink?

sixghost

My fight against Gwyn with Sunbro was straight out of some cheesy fantasy novel. Solaire was with me through thick and thin, he survived every boss fight, then during the final fight we both had low HP, Gwyn attacked Solaire, killed him, then I used that opportunity to land the final blow.

RIP Solaire, no more Jolly Co-operation :(
IrishNinja said:
you guys are awesome here. more questions!

-where is the vow of silence? i cleared out the painted world, got all the other stuff (even after unlocking that one door), still nothin'. where'd i miss it?

-Griggs of Vinheim is supposed to be hollow over in Sen's, he even said he'd be leaving but he's still in firelink last i checked. where does he haunt when he goes over there? if he doesn't mosey on over, can i just off him in firelink?
Vow of Silence is through the Annex Key door. It's on the very highest level you can reach through that door.

scy

So, I did some test runs to see what causes
Lautrec to murder the Firekeeper
. And I'm getting some conflicts I need to iron out; I can get to
Flask+2 pretty reliably now through use of the New Londo soul and Blighttown
, but I still get the occasional times where it's not possible, though nothing in my runs really changed.

Damn it, what the hell is your damn trigger. This is starting to frustrate me :(

Short story of it,
New Londo soul first and then a second soul will have her be alive at least most of the time

In other news, I'm getting really good at running around for quick equipment; even managed to do Great Hollow without a death. Hooray for progress!

Mr.NiceGuy

Banned
Dresden said:
Best shields:

Niche shields:

Can you list the weight of each shield please ?

FUCK!

Raged quit.
What weapon are you using to fight the Stray Demon? I used a Iaito 8 or 9+ and it took only a few tries. Honestly, I would go back after Blighttown. Quelaag is a good boss to learn how to read a bosses move set, in my opinion.

Also, be prepared to get frustrated a bit in Blighttown, the travel down to the bottom level is very annoying with the flies but in the end the whole experience was rewarding.

Dresden

Man, despite having beaten the Four Kings a couple of times before, the thought of going in there always terrifies me for some reason. It shouldn't be that bad - it's like a Final Fantasy boss, the music isn't that creepy, and overall it's just a simple damage race for the most part, so I don't know.

Anyways time to suck it up and go in on my soon to be Darkwraith. :(

IrishNinja

...does anyone have a 100% reliable weapon list for Knight's Honor? i was using the trophy guide at PS3 trophies but it mentions the Titanite Catch Pole and my buddy who platted said he never got that one.

Insaniac

Zzoram said:
they don't respawn

i have no clue where to go... i made it to the bonfire on an island in the middle of all the dragons

scy

Contrary to what it seems like it should be, it's actually a Magic attack he throws out, not Fire. Oddly,
palette swap him later also uses a Magic attack (and shares his vulnerability to Fire, it seems), despite the name, design, location, and basically everything about him

Dresden said:
Man, despite having beaten the Four Kings a couple of times before, the thought of going in there always terrifies me for some reason. It shouldn't be that bad - it's like a Final Fantasy boss, the music isn't that creepy, and overall it's just a simple damage race for the most part, so I don't know.

Once you get into a groove, it's not so bad; super-close range, beat on them, proceed! NG+(++++++) is stupid annoying when you just get flattened and didn't really get a good damage upgrade from NG compared to their health upgrade :/

I spend too much time dying on them at the start of the fight (first two) and then breeze it once I get over that hump. Kind of silly how that always works out for me.

kvn

Why did they make the boring Hollow shield so good? I don't want to play through the whole game with the same shield...

Zzoram

Quote said:
What weapon are you using to fight the Stray Demon? I used a Iaito 8 or 9+ and it took only a few tries. Honestly, I would go back after Blighttown. Quelaag is a good boss to learn how to read a bosses move set, in my opinion.

Also, be prepared to get frustrated a bit in Blighttown, the travel down to the bottom level is very annoying with the flies but in the end the whole experience was rewarding.

Blighttown is way harder if you don't get the Rusty Iron Ring for Asylum first.

Zzoram

Insaniac said:
i have no clue where to go... i made it to the bonfire on an island in the middle of all the dragons

coming straight out from there, go straight, there should be a path up, it leads out of the lava

Booshka

Zzoram said:
only if your farming leeches, you can avoid the swamp most of the time otherwise, and there is a pretty easy path to the boss that avoids most of the swamp. If you have high poison resist gear you can usually roll through it without getting poisoned.

Zzoram said:
Right. I actually went back to the Asylum as soon as I could just for that shiny item (didn't know what it was at the time) and didn't bother with the Stray Demon till later (today).

It's also funny because it was one of the only two rings I had, so I didn't even realize that the swamp would normally slow you down. I assume The Depths would have been the same way.

Does reinforcing shields do anything besides add to damage? It's the only stat I see going up when I look at the option at a blacksmith.

Booshka

Incendiary said:
Does reinforcing shields do anything besides add to damage? It's the only stat I see going up when I look at the option at a blacksmith.
It increases Stability on most shields, which is very important.

Zzoram

Incendiary said:

Most shields it also increases stability, meaning you lose less stamina when blocking.

However, some shields don't increase stability.

2AdEPT

Mr.NiceGuy said:
Can you list the weight of each shield please ?
I believe the eagle shield is th best stability to weight ratio at 6. I love it, esp. for sens and anor londo where you get lots of lightning thrown your way.

2AdEPT

Incendiary said:
stability--its the only stat that counts for shields. It enables the shield to absorb the shock of the blows so that your endurance runs out less with more stability.

2AdEPT

Zzoram said:
Anyone figure out how the Dried Finger works yet? Is it consumable or unlimited use?
I thought it was kind of like the rubble and was only in the game to trade with snuggles.....though when I tried to trade she wouldn't take it...what gives? Every guide or web page that lists the items says the finger is a tradable item...but at least one had a question mark saying "can't drop?"

Booshka

Zzoram said:
Anyone figure out how the Dried Finger works yet? Is it consumable or unlimited use?
It's unlimited, the theory is that it reduces the time in-between invasions, so spamming it over and over in an area with a lot of possible invasions can get you invaded quicker, I believe. I have tried it a lot myself and haven't noticed much of a difference, but sometimes I think it works, or it's just a placebo.

Well guys I'm determined to beat the asshole brothers in Anor Londor! I will prevail. Thanks for all the tips and suggestions guys. I won't give up, I've come to far!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom