• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zzoram

Booshka said:
It's unlimited, the theory is that it reduces the time in-between invasions, so spamming it over and over in an area with a lot of possible invasions can get you invaded quicker, I believe. I have tried it a lot myself and haven't noticed much of a difference, but sometimes I think it works, or it's just a placebo.

Hmm, maybe it resets your online lobby then? Everyone struggling to get online interactions should try the Dried Finger.

Zzoram

I refuse to enter the final boss room until I get my damn Channeler's Trident and get into the Warriors of Sunlight.

I know it'll probably take another 10 hours to farm it and get summoned to successfully defeat a boss another 6 times, but I'm going to follow through.

doesnt everyone wish you could warp to ALL the bonfires? it sucks so bad. theres only 5 ive seen so far. can you warp to the one at Tomb of the Giants? Im about to get there now but seriously..the thought of going through the catacombs to visit the blacksmith then even further into the tomb of the giants every time is really annoying.

Zzoram

Phat Michael said:
doesnt everyone wish you could warp to ALL the bonfires? it sucks so bad. theres only 5 ive seen so far. can you warp to the one at Tomb of the Giants? Im about to get there now but seriously..the thought of going through the catacombs to visit the blacksmith then even further into the tomb of the giants every time is really annoying.

No you can't warp there. That said, I can run through the Catacombs in 3 minutes dodging all the enemies so it doesn't bother me now.

Every area in the game can be rushed in ~3 minutes once you know the layout very well, killed non-respawning minibosses, and unlocked short cuts.

Beat seath and Nito last night, Seath was easy to learn (and I got his tail first try!) but then he would catch me with some mental spikefloor attack that sometimes my sheild would block completly (+10 hollow,Def ring and full havels may have helped) othertimes it would just straight out kill me.

Freed Logan but god knows where he is as i went back to the lib prison (freed him before killing seath) and he wasnt there, went to unkillable seaths and there was only a chest with an ember in.

On that note what ember gos with what blacksmith as I have like 3 and nobody wants them!!

Zzoram

Johnlenham said:
Beat seath and Nito last night, Seath was easy to learn (and I got his tail first try!) but then he would catch me with some mental spikefloor attack that sometimes my sheild would block completly (+10 hollow,Def ring and full havels may have helped) othertimes it would just straight out kill me.

Freed Logan but god knows where he is as i went back to the lib prison (freed him before killing seath) and he wasnt there, went to unkillable seaths and there was only a chest with an ember in.

On that note what ember gos with what blacksmith as I have like 3 and nobody wants them!!

Logan is in a tiny room full of books near the bonfire by the ladder and the way to the Crystal Caverns.

Talk to him, buy ALL his spells, then he goes mad and ends up in Seath's first room. Kill him, THEN a chest spawns back where he was sitting by the books, containing his gear.

Protip: Seath is blind. Wear the ring that makes your feet silent and he has a lot of trouble tracking you.

IrishNinja

Zzoram said:
I refuse to enter the final boss room until I get my damn Channeler's Trident and get into the Warriors of Sunlight.

I know it'll probably take another 10 hours to farm it and get summoned to successfully defeat a boss another 6 times, but I'm going to follow through.

do your sunlight medals not carry over? or is it just your current ranking you dont wanna lose?

medals are easily gonna be the worst part of platting for me, i think. also, i'm using this list for Knight's Honor from now on, so i don't go getting shit i dont need.

Zzoram

IrishNinja said:
do your sunlight medals not carry over? or is it just your current ranking you dont wanna lose?

medals are easily gonna be the worst part of platting for me, i think. also, i'm using this list for Knight's Honor from now on, so i don't go getting shit i dont need.

I just want to get the achievement for finding the covenant.

Sunlight medals will carry over, but requirement to enter will likely not. I need to help beat 9 bosses to meet the requirement to join due to my low faith, and it takes forever to do, so I don't want to risk my counter being reset.

Also, if I get in during NG, I can also finish the "get all miracles" trophy if I rank up and give them Gwindolin's soul.

sleepykyo

Dresden said:
Man, despite having beaten the Four Kings a couple of times before, the thought of going in there always terrifies me for some reason. It shouldn't be that bad - it's like a Final Fantasy boss, the music isn't that creepy, and overall it's just a simple damage race for the most part, so I don't know.

Anyways time to suck it up and go in on my soon to be Darkwraith. :(

Seems like it is five kings during new game plus. The four is just the cap on how max number of them in play.

Zzoram said:
Logan is in a tiny room full of books near the bonfire by the ladder and the way to the Crystal Caverns.

Talk to him, buy ALL his spells, then he goes mad and ends up in Seath's first room. Kill him, THEN a chest spawns back where he was sitting by the books, containing his gear.

Protip: Seath is blind. Wear the ring that makes your feet silent and he has a lot of trouble tracking you.

Yeah Seath is dead I just stayed at his er left (my right) and he just sort of shuffles around not doing much. I didnt buy anything from Logan so i guess hes just vanished :/ Oh well.

Zzoram

IrishNinja said:

Protip: every boss fight you beat with Solaire where you keep him alive, you get a sunlight medal. You can get yourself like 4 or 5 per play through without even helping anyone online.

Zzoram

Johnlenham said:
Yeah Seath is dead I just stayed at his er left (my right) and he just sort of shuffles around not doing much. I didnt buy anything from Logan so i guess hes just vanished :/ Oh well.

He won't vanish, he's still studying in that room near the bonfire. You just need to go back and find him.

maomaoIYP

Zzoram said:

Sunlight medals will carry over, but requirement to enter will likely not. I need to help beat 9 bosses to meet the requirement to join due to my low faith, and it takes forever to do, so I don't want to risk my counter being reset.

It carries over. I tested it myself.

IrishNinja

Zzoram said:
Also, if I get in during NG, I can also finish the "get all miracles" trophy if I rank up and give them Gwindolin's soul.

wait, can you expand on that list bit? they need a soul to give you a miracle?

Zzoram said:
Protip: every boss fight you beat with Solaire where you keep him alive, you get a sunlight medal. You can get yourself like 4 or 5 per play through without even helping anyone online.

ah, wish idve done this better on this playthrough - not only did i miss Lautrec's one for freeing him, poor Solaire was my sacrificial lamb on the twins. still, this means NG+ i get those 3 in andor, 1 from lautrec, i only need 3 and im good, so ill definitely keep him alive better next time! hopefully. thanks man.

yeb

I went through the entire game twice on separate characters without summoning other players, but I've been trying to get summoned for the Sunlight covenant lately. Using white phantoms seems like a completely different way to experience the game.

I got summoned in Anor Londo along with another white phantom. We both knew our way around really well, so we cruise through the place in a few minutes and then I start spamming my Crystal Ring Shield (with a BK Great Axe +5 in my right hand) against the boss. I'd feel like I was completely missing out on the game if it was that easy on my first time through, but then the guy messages me saying it was awesome and asks for advice.

Does anyone know if the Sunlight covenant counts every summoning, or just the times you beat the boss?

Hahaq8

yeb said:
I went through the entire game twice on separate characters without summoning other players, but I've been trying to get summoned for the Sunlight covenant lately. Using white phantoms seems like a completely different way to experience the game.

I got summoned in Anor Londo along with another white phantom. We both knew our way around really well, so we cruise through the place in a few minutes and then I start spamming my Crystal Ring Shield (with a BK Great Axe +5 in my right hand) against the boss. I'd feel like I was completely missing out on the game if it was that easy on my first time through, but then the guy messages me saying it was awesome and asks for advice.

Does anyone know if the Sunlight covenant counts every summoning, or just the times you beat the boss?

i think every summoning because i only beat one or two bosses and i joined the covenant with 16 faith.

Also you get sun medals if you are helping out and solaire is there. Ive got 6 I think and then I joined the sun warriors. Shame people suddently got massivley stupid when I showed up in gold and decided they didnt need to heal me whatsoever (4 times in a row!!!)

Zzoram

Johnlenham said:
Also you get sun medals if you are helping out and solaire is there. Ive got 6 I think and then I joined the sun warriors. Shame people suddently got massivley stupid when I showed up in gold and decided they didnt need to heal me whatsoever (4 times in a row!!!)

get a heal miracle and heal yourself then

Zzoram said:
get a heal miracle and heal yourself then
I had 8 Faith at the time. Up to 18 now though (and need another 8 INT to use wolfs greatsword :( ) so maybe ill go back ot centipied and get four more medals.

Still if im going to pretty much solo kill the boss the least you could do is chug an estus flask once in a awhile!

Zzoram

Johnlenham said:
I had 8 Faith at the time. Up to 18 now though (and need another 8 INT to use wolfs greatsword :( ) so maybe ill go back ot centipied and get four more medals.

Still if im going to pretty much solo kill the boss the least you could do is chug an estus flask once in a awhile!

Most people probably dont know that their estus heals their allies.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
Dresden said:
Wasted a blue slab on a enchanted +5 weapon... I will go make a lightning great scythe now. >.> This is at 50 int.

I brought a Murakumo up to Enchanted +5, and while it at least manages to marginally outperform my Lightning Server +5 it's a rather poor substitute for my Fire Greatsword +10. That's with 50 Int and the Murakumo's A scaling when Enchanted. I'm holding out hope that the patch will give me cause to take it out of storage.

I'm kinda baffled on how easy this game has been on me after Anor Londo. Yesterday breezed through about 5 bosses (
Demon Firesage, Centipede Demon, Bed of Chaos, Four Kings and Priscilla
). I also
filled the Lordvessel and opened the big door

I still need to visit the Great Hollow before completing the game.

Zzoram

Is it viable to do a pure archer run?

Like, run around with a Lightning Black Bow of Pharis +5 and a Fire Sniper Crossbow +10 and just maxed out on arrows/bolts?

IrishNinja

Zzoram said:
Most people probably dont know that their estus heals their allies.

human, not NPC right? cause i coudlnt keep Solaire alive for the life of me. dude clearly had a pact with whatever god he worships that day.

Insaniac

Jeez all I want to do is farm a little in the forest and I keep getting constantly invaded I can't leave :(

Good thing I am much more powerful then these guys

maomaoIYP

Zzoram said:

Like, run around with a Lightning Black Bow of Pharis +5 and a Fire Sniper Crossbow +10 and just maxed out on arrows/bolts?

The black bow sucks. It's certainly viable, just very boring.

Dresden

Zzoram said:

I don't think fire damage and such from enchants transfer over to bows. Not sure, that's what I heard.

And crossbow runs would be perfectly viable, maybe a fire heavy crossbow on one hand, and then a Lightning Avelyn +5 with lightning bolts for bosses and stuff. You could also keep a shield. It'd be expensive as hell though - since the latter shoots three bolts at once, that's 1,500 souls with each shot.

Ill Saint

Zzoram said:

I think it would be fun. I enjoy the Avelyn a lot and will definitely do a bow build in the future. If you can keep gathering enough souls for the better arrows and bolts, then I think it could be quite powerful.

ixix

Zzoram said:
Avelyn

where is it? I haven't found it

It's the
annoying treasure chest in the Duke's Archive that's on top of a book shelf that you need to do a near-suicidal leap off of one of the rotating staircases to get.

Zzoram

ixix said:
It's the
annoying treasure chest in the Duke's Archive that's on top of a book shelf that you need to do a near-suicidal leap off of one of the rotating staircases to get.

Is it near the 2 channelers that I'm farming near the bonfire/ladder? If so that's great, I'm already there.

ixix

Zzoram said:
Is it near the 2 channelers that I'm farming near the bonfire/ladder? If so that's great, I'm already there.

As I recall it's in the section without the Channelers, but yes, you're extremely close.

Soulhouf

IrishNinja said:
how so? could be wrong, but with a DEX build, +15 makes it stronger than any other bow out there, dragonslayer aside.
The scaling system is completely broken in this game. For some reason the composite bow (C str, C dex) is better than the black bow despite the S dex scaling.
I hope that From will fix that.

Ill Saint

ixix said:
It's the
Yep.
Walk off just as the staircase reaches the halfway point of its rotation and you should land safely right on top of the shelf.

ixix

plasticpassion said:
How do you use the boss souls to forge weapons? I have so many of them in my inventory doing nothing. Every trip to a blacksmith produces no options.

There's only one blacksmith who can forge boss souls. Specifically, the
giant blacksmith in Anor Londo.

Ill Saint said:
Yep.
Walk off just as the staircase reaches the halfway point of its rotation and you should land safely right on top of the shelf.

Well, yes. Once you get the timing down it's merely near suicidal. Until then, it's just plain ol' regular suicidal.

Facism

Zzoram said:

for your information, your requirments won't be reset. I joined the sunlight cov in ng+ with a paltry 10 faith. Go in good faith that you will be able to join. I did all my helping in my first playthrough. Everything covenant based is persistant across playthroughs.

Zzoram

Soulhouf said:
The scaling system is completely broken in this game. For some reason the composite bow (C str, C dex) is better than the black bow despite the S dex scaling.
I hope that From will fix that.

Supposedly they tweeted in Japanese saying they were working on a fix to scaling weapons and some PvP issues.

Is the achievement for discovering the covenant heads or actually joining?

I say this because I talked to the forest leader and didn't ask to join yet and got nothing.

Zzoram

toasty_T said:

I say this because I talked to the forest leader and didn't ask to join yet and got nothing.

You have to choose Enter Covenant, say Yes, THEN say No to get the achievement and not join. Joining covenants requires a two step confirmation process, after the first step is when the covenant is "revealed" and when you get the trophy credit.

maomaoIYP

toasty_T said:

For reaching the dialogue box that says "Join covenant (abandons current covenant)". You don't need to actually join.

coldvein

Banned
Zzoram said:
rarely a problem, mainly in Blighttown and Lost Izalith (lava part)

i'm pretty much the opposite of a framerate snob, but this game has some glaringly chuggy parts. even just running around the firelink shrine, shit is chugging. nothing is even happening. what the fuck, man.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom