• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.

redhot_

lupin23rd said:
Which entrance to Blighttown is the Iaito closest to? Rolling with a lightning uchigatana and close to the end game, but want to pick this up.

Also for those who have turned traitor to the forest covenant,
how much of a pushover are shiva and his backflip buddy?

One in the Depths. Shivas easy, kill him quick.. his ninja buddy can be a pain cuz he like to backstab.

cj_iwakura

MechaX said:
There's a better area for farming humanity.

Unfortunately... you have to go to the Tomb of Giants to do it.

It'd be nice to know where. The place isn't that bad once you have Cast Light.

MechaX said:
There's a better area for farming humanity.

Unfortunately... you have to go to the Tomb of Giants to do it.

Can you explain it? That's not TOO off-putting since I'm already up to Crystal Caves, and I'm not in dire need of it (unless the boss proves impossible).

cj_iwakura said:
Damn you to the hades, (Crystal Cave)
Seath.

You do mad damage AND curse me? Rot in hell.

The means of curing a curse is nonsense. I have to earn Humanity AND spend that to cure it? Blech.

Will I be stuck at half HP if I join other games too?

Just 3000 souls if you go to the first bell tower on top of Undead Parish.

*edit*

The clams before you fight
Seath
drop Purging Stones to cure curse btw.

2AdEPT

Infernodash said:
Okay, I will try that now. Just so nervous that I'll die and have to get back there all over again.
THere is a bonfire to your right once you get into the bomb area (i think) you do fall off an unguarded ledge to get there .....you can only get there by falling.

MechaX

cj_iwakura said:
Beyond the golden gate? I never went past it.

It's the room with the enemies that lob fireballs at you. If you go to the bottom instead of going up the various ramps, you'll find the baby skeletons.

cj_iwakura

Kyleripman said:
Can you explain it? That's not TOO off-putting since I'm already up to Crystal Caves, and I'm not in dire need of it (unless the boss proves impossible).

THE BOSS IS HELL.

You know what really sucks? I killed him on my first try when helping someone else by pure luck. (Can you get cursed when helping someone in multi?)

MechaX said:
It's the room with the enemies that lob fireballs at you. If you go to the bottom instead of going up the various ramps, you'll find the baby skeletons.

Never got that far.

Is it beyond the gold gate?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Whoa! I reached Anor Londo!

...there'd be a bonfire around here somewhere, yes?

edit: neeeevermind, helpful
flying brain monsters

Fuck, GAF, get a multiquote button...

lupin23rd said:
Which entrance to Blighttown is the Iaito closest to? Rolling with a lightning uchigatana and close to the end game, but want to pick this up.

Also for those who have turned traitor to the forest covenant,
how much of a pushover are shiva and his backflip buddy?

It's closest to the depths entrance. Just after the 3 large dudes, you'll come to a spot where the bridges kind of Y -- go left, and you'll see it sparkling in front of you over a gap.

To answer your other question, they were complete bitches when I offed them. Granted, I started out behind the bodyguard and gave him 5 quick stabs with lightning spear +3. Main dude came over to me, and I dropped him like a sack of bricks. He was talking to me. Idiot. I replied with stabbing. Always. Less talky, more stabby.

INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
Wow, thanks for that. Heavy story stuff that I would have missed until NG+.

No problem. Since I wanted all covenants in my first playthrough, I made sure to join Darkwraiths and I didn't like the way Frampt was pushing for me to do things, so I wanted to check out the other option.

Kyleripman said:
Any tips on farming humanity? Other than the rats in the depths...
It's been said, but hit the Tomb of the Giants; farm the little bastard toxic baby skeletons -- they drop it at rate (B). Or you could help people with a boss to get humanity and souls. It's how I got the 30 humanity for chaos servant while upgrading pyro flame (Quelana) to +5.

cj_iwakura said:
Damn you to the hades, (Crystal Cave)
Seath.

You do mad damage AND curse me? Rot in hell.

The means of curing a curse is nonsense. I have to earn Humanity AND spend that to cure it? Blech.

Will I be stuck at half HP if I join other games too?

Don't know about joining games, but you don't need humanity and spend -- you just need to go to undead church or sewer merchant (female undead) to buy a purging stone. Or farm them from the clams in ash lake.

Kyoufu

lupin23rd said:
Any shield or specifically a great shield? I didn't see the option to update my +10 spider shield but maybe I missed it / didn't actually upgrade to +10.

I used a Spider Shield+10, so you can too!

cj_iwakura

Kyleripman said:
Crap...and the only bonfire is the one BEFORE the garden entrance to Crystal Caves, right?

Yep.

Crystal Caves is extremely short, fortunately, but you have to endure one hellish trip, and a room full of nasty beasties.

MechaX

Kyleripman said:
Crap...and the only bonfire is the one BEFORE the garden entrance to Crystal Caves, right?

Personally, I didn't find that boss that tough, but I might have been excessively overleveled (he was the last boss I attempted before the final and I think I was at SL90). Yeah, that's the only bonfire but luckily, you can actually dash all the way there without fighting anything in under two minutes.

Also, aim for the middle tail for the weapon. Aim for the tip of that tail.

muffs92

I love how I always get the furthest through an area on my first try.
Then I die.
And on future trials I get killed by pure impatience and ignorance.
Slow and steady wins the race.
Unless your opponent is a giant death ball rolling 10 times faster than you can sprint

Kyoufu

MechaX said:
Personally, I didn't find that boss that tough, but I might have been excessively overleveled (he was the last boss I attempted before the final and I think I was at SL90). Yeah, that's the only bonfire but luckily, you can actually dash all the way there without fighting anything in under two minutes.

Also, aim for the middle tail for the weapon. Aim for the tip of that tail.

That boss is actually blind, so the silent footsteps ring makes it pretty easy.

2AdEPT said:
Your name says it all man! You gotta go quick...I died the first time creeping slow, so the next time I dashed right for the stairs and made it without a flame. It is impossible to totally miss a flame on the way back here or there so run with high flame protect shield up and wear the flame ring which is acquired down the stairs with the two rapier hollows. I was wearing the gold trimed set and hardly took damage with all three. THere are safe spots all over the area....usually you are safe in narrow passageways...open areas are fair game and he will switch areas so until you kill him you best learn his spots...there is the original one, one furhter toward the Ricard Kight on an open walkway, and a third right near a bridge with a gap that you will have ot jump to
get the vendor.
and travel on to get up to kill him face to face.

lol. thanks bro. I ended up doing it. I was too nervous in the beginning. I had only one flask left and I was afraid I wouldn't make it over in time. Just managed to drop down with about 1/3rd of my bar left. Had to stop playing, my heart was pounding. lol

Hmm okay, I like the dashing technique - although I don't like what I'm hearing about him being able to curse you, haha. Any tips on what weapons are best? My Pyromancy flame is +10 and my lightning bastard sword is +4. Otherwise the next best thing I have is Drake Sword +5.

2AdEPT

Hawkian said:
Iron Tarkus
and I were kicking the SHIT out of him- he's not equipped for more than one assailant. But I rolled off the edge :lol gonna be farming some humanity after this.
Yep GOlem is a great soul farming boss...if you do it with one other guy plus Tarkus you get the same souls as if you did it with just one other guy.....maybe glitched, or maybe tarkus died early...I dunno but i got 45000! the next time (withinn minutes) I got 15000 only as there were two regualr phantoms plus host....souls from level plus those two runs came out to 80,000, so I bought all rings from all vendors to that point. All I have yet to buy is that damge revenge miracle...faith isnt high anyway so saved it for last....Said "no" to alvina though and my atonement level is now 98,000. All this is 15 minutes when previously my souls hadn't got over 20K.

redhot_

Kyleripman said:
Hmm okay, I like the dashing technique - although I don't like what I'm hearing about him being able to curse you, haha. Any tips on what weapons are best? My Pyromancy flame is +10 and my lightning bastard sword is +4. Otherwise the next best thing I have is Drake Sword +5.

If you killed Nito.. warp back to his bonfire and get the Paladin armor, it has REALLY high curse resistance.

GeekyDad

So, the days of endless heals (via hundreds of grasses) are over, eh? Damn, five or six swigs from a flask is a rough gig, man. And you can no longer heal yourself it seems when going to another player's world for co-op. I think it's safe to say they ramped up a the difficulty in a few, subtle ways.

bathala

Banned
Fury Sword Question and Curved Swords are they more reliant to DEX stats?

I have more STR and most of the straight swords are slow swings. I'm thinking of ditching the Drake

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
GeekyDad said:
So, the days of endless heals (via hundreds of grasses) are over, eh? Damn, five or six swigs from a flask is a rough gig, man. And you can no longer heal yourself it seems when going to another player's world for co-op. I think it's safe to say they ramped up a the difficulty in a few, subtle ways.
When the host drinks an estus, it heals the party. Kind of a cool change, though I wish the game informed you the first time you summoned someone.

1stStrike

Banned
bathala said:
Fury Sword Question and Curved Swords are they more reliant to DEX stats?

I have more STR and most of the straight swords are slow swings. I'm thinking of ditching the Drake

If you're str, go for a greatsword. You'll do more damage with a +10 Fire Greatsword then you will with a +5 Furysword if you're low on dex.

MechaX

Augemitbutter said:
wow, the ending....

is so bad. why are they doing this? no effort at all, fuck them

I never spoke to Frampt, so
I actually still don't understand what the major selling point of essentially being Gwyn 2.0 is as opposed to becoming the Dark Lord under Kaath's vision.

bathala

Banned
1stStrike said:
If you're str, go for a greatsword. You'll do more damage with a +10 Fire Greatsword then you will with a +5 Furysword if you're low on dex.
the only thing I hate about greatswords r the slow swings :S

i got used to drakes fast swings

2AdEPT

SO pretty sure I killed the pyro vendor as I was not thinking he would be down in the swamp and thought the hue for the "invader" guy's armout was too normal to be invader......well he was pyro guy I think, or does he normally disappear from firelink sometime after you join the chaos covenant?

I am i screwed for pyro (I am at starting glove+8). I am low enough level (50) that I can switch to magic and swith covenants, but was going to go pyro rest of the game if there is another vendor and another pyro catylyst to upgrade etc.

cj_iwakura

Getting an all accessory trophy for this game must be hell.

2AdEPT said:
SO pretty sure I killed the pyro vendor as I was not thinking he would be down in the swamp and thought the hue for the "invader" guy's armout was too normal to be invader......well he was pyro guy I think, or does he normally disappear from firelink sometime after you join the chaos covenant?

I am i screwed for pyro (I am at starting glove+8). I am low enough level (50) that I can switch to magic and swith covenants, but was going to go pyro rest of the game if there is another vendor and another pyro catylyst to upgrade etc.

He went hollow. He was meant to die by that point.

MechaX said:
I never spoke to Frampt, so
I actually still don't understand what the major selling point of essentially being Gwyn 2.0 is as opposed to becoming the Dark Lord under Kaath's vision.

no clue here either, there is not much story told in this game, it's a shame.

Urban Scholar said:
There's 2 endings though, bad = light the fire, good = walk away & don't light the fire

i lit the fire, so i guess i got the bad one. is there more in the good ending? don't spoil me please, i just want to know if it feels like a true ending. what about the darkwraith ending, is that a different one without a trophy?

MechaX

Augemitbutter said:
i lit the fire, so i guess i got the bad one. is there more in the good ending? don't spoil me please, i just want to know if it feels like a true ending. what about the darkwraith ending, is that a different one without a trophy?

There's only 2 endings, the Fire one and the Dark Lord one. The Dark Lord ending is "better" in the sense that it actually has three lines of dialogue before cutting to credits.

redhot_

Miroku said:
Can I make a crystal ring shield from a hollow soldier shield+10 ?

Im pretty sure you can. If not its worth the try because that Hollow shield is pretty good leveled up +15, its all i use NG++++

1stStrike

Banned
bathala said:

Get the Server from the swamp and upgrade the shit out of it. It's slightly slower than a scimitar one handed/light attack, and about the same speed two handed with fast/slow attack.

It classifies as a greatsword, and it also returns a sliver of HP with each successful ATTACK.

I love that sword.

Miroku

redhot_ said:
Im pretty sure you can. If not its worth the try because that Hollow shield is pretty good leveled up +15, its all i use NG++++

Cool. I think someone else was saying they used a spider shield, I suppose I can just upgrade that instead. I just need to know any shield that will work, confirmed. The wiki pages are a little vague about this one.

bathala

Banned
1stStrike said:
Get the Server from the swamp and upgrade the shit out of it. It's slightly slow than a scimitar one handed/light attack, and about the same speed two handed with fast/slow attack.

It classifies as a greatsword, and it also returns a sliver of HP with each successful ATTACK.

I love that sword.
I got that already, but isn't that a curved sword? So it that a DEX based sword?

2AdEPT

Johnas said:
I just found it in Sen's Fortress. Slumbering Dragoncrest Ring.

Yep its fun to go backstab those friggin forest people using the ring...especially the Knight and thief...they had it coming! They played with my eyes - well I played with their ears...all from the back door after disp[osing of the sorcere and axe guy first. Also the Cleric...try healing after I twist my +4 lightning spear (while wearing hornet ring) up your ass buddy! CLose to 900 damage!!!!! HEHEHEHEHHE. I started trying to farm these guys before I was tough enough i guess, so the hate ran deep; and now that I am finally stocked with a few helpers after sens I am taking advantage. Wow, I heard
SIF
was tough so I took one helper, but we both brought as much flame power as possible......we had orbs etc and he burned in the first attempt...guess I'll try solo next time, but with the helper there it seemed like the
SIF sword
was going right through me and not registering damage...I brought Iron pyro and didn't even use it?

hteng

Banned
MotionBlue said:
Did you miss the 10 or so Taurus Demons that 2 shot you? And respawn.

the last 3 taurus by the gold seal gate and the capra demons do respawn, but they can be staggered if you are wielding a heavy weapon, by the 2nd hit it will stun them and you just have to make sure to finish them off with the 3rd hit. it's not that hard but one screw up can probably kill you.

bathala said:

learn to adapt them, drakes doesn't scale until later parts of the game, unless you spent lots of dragon scales and souls in it.

a +10/+15 long sword is probably better than drakes when your str and dex reach a certain point.

greatswords has an excellent running attack, which is a horizontal/spinning slash can pretty much cover all angles (even behind you!).

ultra greatsword's running attack has less of a hit window but nothing can withstand it if it manage to connect, small enemies die, large enemies get staggered.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom