• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.

redhot_

Miroku said:
Cool. I think someone else was saying they used a spider shield, I suppose I can just upgrade that instead. I just need to know any shield that will work, confirmed. The wiki pages are a little vague about this one.

Here are the shields that DON'T work...

East-West, Crest Shield, Dragon Crest Shield, Silver Knight Shield, Black Knight Shield, Stone Greashield, Havel's Greatshield

1stStrike

Banned
bathala said:
I got that already, but isn't that a curved sword? So it that a DEX based sword?

It's a "curved greatsword" according to my game. Requires 24 str and 13 dex. I made it +10 Fire, but it doesn't get any bonuses from either strength or dex (they're just labeled as - in my game).

You won't do huge damage with it, but it's pretty quick for a greatsword and it restores HP. I'm a huge fan of its attack moves as well, since they are wide sweeping arcs that are even better than the scimitar.

If you want a weapon that straight up scales with str, though, then go with one of the Black Knight weapons, like the Black Knight GreatAxe, which is an insane weapon.

2AdEPT

cj_iwakura said:
Getting an all accessory trophy for this game must be hell.

He went hollow. He was meant to die by that point.
WEll that's good ...sort of....but should have I upgraded the
pyro glove to +15 or something first? HOw high does it go? /
and if it does go higher is there anything else ot switch to? Other catalysts etc have multiple options..not so for pyro?

Johnas said:
I just found it in Sen's Fortress. Slumbering Dragoncrest Ring.

Do you remember where? Apparently you can also get it from killing Griggs - but I wonder if this is 100% of the time; I would hate to kill him for no reason.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
..btw if you hate Lost Izalith as much as me, then it's worth investing in the Chaos covenant and opening up that fucking shortcut from the Demon's Ruins mini-boss down the tree and across the bridge.. the only enemy in the way is a Taurus, and you can cheese the fuck out of him and run directly past those fire breathing things that look like piles of turds and right to Bed of Chaos.

That's my best tip to anybody playing late game. That level is the balls, and the shortcut makes getting to the fog gate all the more bearable.

Zeliard

Miroku said:
Cool. I think someone else was saying they used a spider shield, I suppose I can just upgrade that instead. I just need to know any shield that will work, confirmed. The wiki pages are a little vague about this one.

Just use a common one like a Balder Shield and it should be fine.

Also, honestly, you may not want to make it. Cheapens the difficulty a bit. The hit to durability is completely trivial, especially relative to what it does. It's probably best used for quickly mopping up lower-level zones if you're grinding or looking for loot.

Ughhh... I need to find a weapon/coating that actually does damage to
Quelaag
! I tried just straight up using my Scimitar+4, but I was only doing around 30 dmg with the light attack and 50~ dmg with the heavy. Thirty or so swipes in, I end up backing up into lava and dying.

This was so much easier when I had spells... :/

New Londo Question:
I've drained the water and gone through the seal and gone back to Frampt, but when I enter the white fog, it's just a spiral staircase that leads to death. I tried killing the ghost at the top and still nothing.

Kyoufu

prodystopian said:
New Londo Question:
I've drained the water and gone through the seal and gone back to Frampt, but when I enter the white fog, it's just a spiral staircase that leads to death. I tried killing the ghost at the top and still nothing.

You need the ring obtained from the boss in the forest area. The one that helps you traverse through the Abyss.

prodystopian said:
New Londo Question:

You need the ring (Covenant of Artorias) that's is/was in Sif's crib. It's right behind the grave. With it you can fall and... well you'll see.

MechaX

NervousXtian said:
..btw if you hate Lost Izalith as much as me, then it's worth investing in the Chaos covenant and opening up that fucking shortcut from the Demon's Ruins mini-boss down the tree and across the bridge.. the only enemy in the way is a Taurus, and you can cheese the fuck out of him and run directly past those fire breathing things that look like piles of turds and right to Bed of Chaos.

That's my best tip to anybody playing late game. That level is the balls, and the shortcut makes getting to the fog gate all the more bearable.

When considering that there is really nothing of value to be found in Lost Izalith, this might be a pretty good course. Plus, you got an easy farming spot for Demon Titanite.

Johnas

Kyleripman said:
Do you remember where? Apparently you can also get it from killing Griggs - but I wonder if this is 100% of the time; I would hate to kill him for no reason.

It was pretty close to the bottom, not too far above those huge things way down in the sewer-type pit. You remember the second time you run onto a boulder path? (Run up the huge boulder path hill into the door on the left, then go through a small hallway, bear left, then you come out onto the second path) You'll notice one of the gold serpents that shoot the electricity at you, I dropped down on her from above, mainly to grab the item near her, then came out on a ledge close to where the ring was. I do remember facing the fortress' entrance when I was moving toward and then picking up the ring.

Sorry I can't be more specific.

Kyoufu

MechaX said:
When considering that there is really nothing of value to be found in Lost Izalith, this might be a pretty good course. Plus, you got an easy farming spot for Demon Titanite.

Yeah I was just farming there now. It's awesome.

The Titanite Demon hits so hard D:

bathala

Banned
1stStrike said:
It's a "curved greatsword" according to my game. Requires 24 str and 13 dex. I made it +10 Fire, but it doesn't get any bonuses from either strength or dex (they're just labeled as - in my game).

You won't do huge damage with it, but it's pretty quick for a greatsword and it restores HP. I'm a huge fan of its attack moves as well, since they are wide sweeping arcs that are even better than the scimitar.

If you want a weapon that straight up scales with str, though, then go with one of the Black Knight weapons, like the Black Knight GreatAxe, which is an insane weapon.
Might try and upgrade it then.

I have black knight greatsword. Nice dmg but man that thing is slow.

NervousXtian

prodystopian said:
New Londo Question:

You need something to not die.

Spoiler:
Go Kill Sif in the forest, he drops the ring you need

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Guys, sorry if this is a stupid question, but I'm coming to this game from Demon's Souls where you couldn't get invaded by a black phantom unless you were playing online.

I'm off-line (internet connection is switched off entirely), and I'm in the Lower Depths killing off basilisks. Then I get the message that I'm being invaded by Black Phantom Kirk? W.T.F. How is that even possible? There isn't supposed to be an NPC Black Phantom in the level is there?

Can someone explain this to me? Because I am puzzled.

NervousXtian

MechaX said:

Fucker drops 2 every time. I almost didn't mind that I kept missing the jump against Bed of Chaos.

hteng

Banned
luxarific said:
Guys, sorry if this is a stupid question, but I'm coming to this game from Demon's Souls where you couldn't get invaded by a black phantom unless you were playing online.

I'm off-line (internet connection is switched off entirely), and I'm in the Lower Depths killing off basilisks. Then I get the message that I'm being invaded by Black Phantom Kirk? W.T.F. How is that even possible? There isn't supposed to be an NPC Black Phantom in the level is there?

it's an NPC that's invading you, it will happen several times in certain locations of the game.

Zeliard

luxarific said:

Yep there are occasional NPC Phantom invasions, particularly in the vicinity of boss lairs.

NervousXtian

luxarific said:

Your PS360 has gone sentient. I'd destroy it before something worse happens.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
hteng said:
it's an NPC that's invading you, it will happen several times in certain locations of the game.

Ah, ok. Figures, I guess, since I actually beat it. I suck when it comes to playing real people. :) Christ, scared the shit out of me though.

Insaniac

luxarific said:

yeah this is an NPC, you can get his armor if you beat him in all 3 of his "invasion" locations

bart jr

Neo Member
so I beat
Sen's Fortress
and rescued
Big Hat Logan
. When I talk to him back at Firelink, he said I am unable to learn Sorceries and won't continue dialogue outside of that. Did I do something wrong?

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Insaniac said:
yeah this is an NPC, you can get his armor if you beat him in all 3 of his "invasion" locations

Thanks guys, sorry for being an idiot. It just really startled me since I went offline to avoid getting invaded (pvp stresses me out and the game is already stressful enough :D).

Hawkian said:
Anor Londo help?

After I kill the Gargoyle, what's with the dead end...?

Look for places you can walk to that are off the beaten path

Or, from gargoyle, turn around, head down stairs to right, look at support that is walkonable and go to the church and use the handily broken window

MechaX said:

Can I re-join her covenant? I was a member but I left it and joined the forest one.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
ding dong!

Whew, that feels good. Actually quite enjoyed blight town, although I wish I'd opened the door in the depths - worked from the Valley of the Drakes through to the second bonfire and eventually to the other entrance, but I couldn't open the door from the inside. Oh well.

Boss was tough, had to whittle her down. Any idea why there is a bonfire just behind her lair? Doesn't seem necessary as there is one just a little further on in Demons Ruins.

Off to Sen's Fortress tomorrow I guess. Have my winged spear at +10 and a divine scimitar +8. Want a fury sword but not sure whether to take my scimitar back to +5 and bring it up to +10, or bring something else up (have a falchion)

2AdEPT

Kyleripman said:
go up the flight of stairs after the ball junction. kill three snake heads. drop down a shaft behind where one of the snake heads was waiting for you. If you used the short cut you can also drop down from (twice as far a fall though) the level just after the bonfire upstairs. You can access without going to the bonfire but easiest to explain from there as it is the level after you drop down from bonfire...go all the way right after hoping down from bonfire...drop down shaft.

Once you fall the ring becomes visible along a narrow ledge....have to fall back down to level start..be ready to deal with the normal enemies there.

OH MY GOD CAPRA DEMON'S DIFFICULTY IS ENTIRELY DEPENDENT ON WHAT TYPE OF WEAPONS YOU'RE USING.

Using dex based weapons like spears and rapiers and scimitars? It took me 40+ tries to get past the dogs and take him down properly. This character with it's Zweihander+5? First try. And it was easy enough that halfway through the fight I decided I'd try to take his tail off... and I accidently killed him trying to do that.

I can't wait to see how cockblocky or easy he is vs. a caster.

bart jr said:
so I beat
Sen's Fortress
and rescued
Big Hat Logan
. When I talk to him back at Firelink, he said I am unable to learn Sorceries and won't continue dialogue outside of that. Did I do something wrong?
I think your intelligence needs to be higher.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Love the animation you do when you parry with the shotel.

omg I want claws. I'm gonna have to go to NG+ to get them even though I didn't have any plans to do so :p

MechaX said:
There's only 2 endings, the Fire one and the Dark Lord one. The Dark Lord ending is "better" in the sense that it actually has three lines of dialogue before cutting to credits.

what a letdown. demon's was so much better.

Speevy

Banned
Okay, critical, ABSOLUTELY CRITICAL HELP.

I'm at the bottom floor of the Blighttown. I'm in that little area where you kill the two rock-throwing fatties.

WHERE IS THE BONFIRE? Please help me.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Speevy said:

I'm at the bottom floor of the depths. I'm in that little area where you kill the two rock-throwing fatties.

hmmm not blighttown?

RoboGeorgeForeman said:
You need the ring (Covenant of Artorias) that's is/was in Sif's crib. It's right behind the grave. With it you can fall and... well you'll see.

Thanks (and to the other two)! I had it, I just forgot to put it on. Long day.

Edit: Is there anything else in the Abyss?

ZeroRay

Speevy said:

I'm at the bottom floor of the depths. I'm in that little area where you kill the two rock-throwing fatties.

Go back, hug the left side of the swamp.

redhot_

Speevy said:

If your looking at the big wheel elevator thingy, its to the right of that. Its inside a thing thats all stone.

hteng

Banned
Speevy said:

you have overshoot it, turn back, on your left side, just beside the rolling wheel, there's a sort of archway,sewer hole, bonfire is in it, it's impossible to miss. make sure you have rusted iron ring equipped.

prodystopian said:
Thanks (and to the other two)! I had it, I just forgot to put it on. Long day.

Edit: Is there anything else in the Abyss?

it's completely pitch black down there. there's nothing down there, nothing will kill you down there. you are the kings down there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom