• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zzoram

Um wtf

I got to the end of the Tomb of Giants and there is an orange fog that is sealed by the lord's power. Was I not supposed to go here? Ugh.

K' Dash

Zeliard said:
Just go up and whack the toxic guys a couple times, which should take off nearly all their health, then finish them from afar with a bow or knife. You can also just kill them normally in melee and you should be able to roll away before the toxic explosion gets you if you're under 50%. I was also using an Iaito +10 at the time.

They changed things up a bit in that level and I appreciated that. In most cases fighting enemies in melee is a similar experience, but with the toxic guys you have to change things up slightly. Also basic enemies being stronger is just a preview of what it'll be like in NG+. :>

Yeah I was doing just that, thank you.

I'm loving Dark Souls, but I just don't play this kind of game anymore, cause of the time it takes to complete, my job, GF and College demand most of my time, I doubt I'll be doing a NG+

Kalnos

Banned
Zzoram said:
Um wtf

I got to the end of the Tomb of Giants and there is an orange fog that is sealed by the lord's power. Was I not supposed to go here? Ugh.

You have to place the Lordvessel with either Frampt or Kaathe before that. If you want Kaathe go to New Londo first.

Pancho

Qurupancho
Zzoram said:
Um wtf

Those orange fog thingies clear up after you get the Lordvessel, so you gotta beat Anor londo first.

I Push Fat Kids said:
Quelagg tips? Any shortcuts to connect lower Blightown with Firelink?

Near Queelag's Domain there's a platform with an elevator, ride it up and it leads through valley of the drakes. Crossing the wooden bridge gets you to New Londo near the elevator connecting to fire Link.
As for Queelag dragon crest shield helped a lot. it's to the right of the wooden bridge in valley of the drake in front of a
zombie dragon
Dont get scared about those guys, they are easy to kill.

Gattsu25

Banned
NervousXtian said:
..btw if you hate Lost Izalith as much as me, then it's worth investing in the Chaos covenant and opening up that fucking shortcut from the Demon's Ruins mini-boss down the tree and across the bridge.. the only enemy in the way is a Taurus, and you can cheese the fuck out of him and run directly past those fire breathing things that look like piles of turds and right to Bed of Chaos.

That's my best tip to anybody playing late game. That level is the balls, and the shortcut makes getting to the fog gate all the more bearable.
Can you open the shortcut, drop the covenant, and then continue to use the shortcut?

Owzers

i'm in the Tomb of Giants....i'm not having fun anymore again Xp

Highlights: Undead Parish + Anor Lando

everything else.....not really liking it, especially Blighttown and Tomb of Giants, though Blightown's boss was fun.

Zzoram

Nooooooo

I hate New Londo Ruins, and it took me hours to get to the orange fog in Tomb of the Giants since I have to go through the Catacombs, UGH

Kalnos

Banned
Zzoram said:
Nooooooo

I hate New Londo Ruins, and it took me hours to get to the orange fog in Tomb of the Giants since I have to go through the Catacombs, UGH

If you go there first make sure you have killed Sif.

Gattsu25

Banned
I Push Fat Kids said:
Quelagg tips? Any shortcuts to connect lower Blightown with Firelink?
Stay by her left legs. When you see her hug her spider and droop down run the fuck away. When you see the spider raise all the legs on one side run the fuck away. Dont walk in the lava. If you are getting surrounded by lava, disengage an run to a clear area in the arena.

There is a shortcut just to the right of the bonfire, up the waterwheels. Just keep climbing the ladders. When you get to the valley zone, walk across the planks to the other side of the chasm.

maomaoIYP

Nito
is a fucking terrible boss. Absolutely no fun.

Fucking skeleton mobs = dog shit frame rate. And since the only way to get rid of the mob is to let Nito do it for you, the only effective way to fight Nito is simply Iron Flesh and tank it out. What a crappy, shitty boss fight.

Foofaraw

Fighting the Capra Demon is so infuriating. It feels like the whole fight is determined by the first few seconds. Those dogs keep getting me locked in hit stun. I managed to get rid of them in one of my 15 tries, and then I made a few stupid mistakes one the fairly easy Capra. I know every last line of this has been said before. I just wanted it off my chest because GafHype brought me this heartache. I just want to beat it so I can get tormented more.

I went to kill a few mini bosses to tame my rage. It helped a little.

redhot_

maomaoIYP said:
Nito

Fucking skeleton mobs = dog shit frame rate. And since the only way to get rid of the mob is to let Nito do it for you, the only effective way to fight Nito is simply Iron Flesh and tank it out. What a crappy, shitty boss fight.

Divine Halberd + spinning attack = win

2AdEPT

Hawkian said:
Just got to the "disaster archers" I've heard so much about. They were not prepared for my agility. Took two tries and cemented this as my favorite area in the game so far. Aw Yoshi. ;)

I can't wait til I'm off shift....should be able to get there soon myself (we seem to be at the same point in the game.) Heard others complain...recommended
FOrce miracle as I read from the Firelink miracle vendor list that it protects agaisnt arrows
.....at least one person said it worked...knocked the archer off the ledge as a bonus.....can't wait to try MY idea in less than 40 minutes!!!

K' Dash

Zeliard said:
Obviously not if you keep getting hit with toxic, lol.

obviously not at first, after I got toxic a few times I did that, then I got to a staircase and the crows fucked me :(

I'm tired and didn't feel like playing anyway, tomorrow after work I'll deal with this.

Soma

maomaoIYP said:
Nito

Really? Man I had little to no problems with him. Basically I
never moved from where I landed, let his skeleton minions come to me and wrecked them with a divine weapon so they won't respawn, and eventually he came to me. The only problem I had with him was his AOE attack but that was easy to prepare for. Also, NEVER run to the other side of the room where the giant skeletons are. He'll make his way to you.
Got him on my first try actually.

Riposte

maomaoIYP said:
Nito

Somehow I beat it without a shield or any magic. Maybe it isn't the boss fight which is crappy and shitty :3.

Pancho

Qurupancho
K' Dash said:
obviously not at first, after I got toxic a few times I did that, then I got to a staircase and the crows fucked me :(

I'm tired and didn't feel like playing anyway, tomorrow after work I'll deal with this.

Like someone told me when I was having trouble with that area, it's just better to ignore those things. The ones in the spiral staircase tend to kill themselves.

Zeliard

K' Dash said:

Hehe I'm just messing with ya. ;)

Toxic guys aren't too bad, I think once you come back you'll be taking them out with ease. Danger with the crow fucks is their grab attack, but you should be able to see it coming.

ultron87

Giving
Frampt the Lordvessel screwed me out of any opportunity to join the Darkwraiths? Gee, thanks game. Sorry I followed the one solid element of direction you've given me this entire time.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
2AdEPT said:
I can't wait til I'm off shift....should be able to get there soon myself (we seem to be at the same point in the game.) Heard others complain...recommended
FOrce miracle as I read from the Firelink miracle vendor list that it protects agaisnt arrows
.....at least one person said it worked...knocked the archer off the ledge as a bonus.....can't wait to try MY idea in less than 40 minutes!!!
When you get past them, watch out for the
mimic chest on the bottom of the area you go to through an invisible wall
. :p

LuchaShaq

Banned
keeblerdrow said:
OH MY GOD CAPRA DEMON'S DIFFICULTY IS ENTIRELY DEPENDENT ON WHAT TYPE OF WEAPONS YOU'RE USING.

Using dex based weapons like spears and rapiers and scimitars? It took me 40+ tries to get past the dogs and take him down properly. This character with it's Zweihander+5? First try. And it was easy enough that halfway through the fight I decided I'd try to take his tail off... and I accidently killed him trying to do that.

I can't wait to see how cockblocky or easy he is vs. a caster.

I used winged spear (dex based) and killed him first try and I'm not very good.

Zeliard

iconoclast said:

The Chaos covenant bonfire by Queelag's lair is invaluable if you haven't finished up Demon Ruins/Lost Izalith yet. It's a warp bonfire and you keep permanent access to it even if you leave the covenant. Saves you from having to trudge from Firelink.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
ultron87 said:
Giving
Frampt the Lordvessel screwed me out of any opportunity to join the Darkwraiths? Gee, thanks game. Sorry I followed the one solid element of direction you've given me this entire time.
It makes sense from a story sense, the entire world is trying to deny you your real heritage, so of course you have to "stumble upon it" Everyone that slams themselves into your face is gonna lie and lead you away from the truth cause they don't want what will happen.

Gattsu25 said:
+1 Firekeeper Soul, in that case

If you kill her, you won't be able to use the bonfire, and I think it'll reset your Chaos covenant rank to zero (dropping the covenant for another only gives you -1, I think). I wouldn't do it until you're about to finish your playthrough.

K' Dash

Pancho said:
Like someone told me when I was having trouble with that area, it's just better to ignore those things. The ones in the spiral staircase tend to kill themselves.

Zeliard said:
Hehe I'm just messing with ya. ;)

Toxic guys aren't too bad, I think once you come back you'll be taking them out with ease. Danger with the crow fucks is their grab attack, but you should be able to see it coming.

Thank you, I'll try again tomorrow.

Kalnos

Banned
ultron87 said:
Giving

Well...
it's supposed to be a hidden covenant of sorts.
. Always a new char or NG+!

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Kalnos said:
Well...
it's supposed to be a hidden covenant of sorts.
. Always a new char or NG+!
both the pvp covenants are "secrets" even grave lord is set up as a secret but it got nerfed to hell and back to being useless

Will F

Zzoram said:
Nooooooo

Catacombs isn't too bad, you can pretty much drop down on to bridge/ledges to get to the bottom and skip most of it - kind of like the shortcut to flamelurker in 2-2 of Demon's Souls.

Kalnos

Banned
QisTopTier said:
both the pvp covenants are "secrets" even grave lord is set up as a secret but it got nerfed to hell and back to being useless

I thought gravelord was bugged?

I sided with Kaathe.

maomaoIYP

moonspeak said:
Really? Man I had little to no problems with him. Basically I
never moved from where I landed, let his skeleton minions come to me and wrecked them with a divine weapon so they won't respawn, and eventually he came to me. The only problem I had with him was his AOE attack but that was easy to prepare for. Also, NEVER run to the other side of the room where the giant skeletons are. He'll make his way to you.
Got him on my first try actually.

If I knew a Divine weapon would stop them from respawning I wouldn't have any problems. Everytime I died was because of the damned skeleton mobs locking me in. In the end I just gave up and just used Iron Flesh, which to me, is a shitty and boring tactic.

ultron87

QisTopTier said:

There'd probably be a lot more invasions if this wasn't the case.

redhot_

Zzoram said:
What door? I don't see a door. Where is it?

its down the huge tree vine to the right of the fog b4 the fire stray demon.. forget its name.. its where all those cricket things are jumping around.

Zzoram

redhot_ said:
its down the huge tree vine to the right of the fog b4 the fire stray demon.. forget its name.. its where all those cricket things are jumping around.

Oh you have to open it from that side. Was wondering if I could open it from the safe side and skip the beginning of the level lol.

Varna

That little area after the dragon the bridge... anything you can do there?

Also in the lower part of undead berg there is a wall that looks destructible.

Some things I noticed on my new character.

redhot_

Zzoram said:
Oh you have to open it from that side. Was wondering if I could open it from the safe side and skip the beginning of the level lol.

you open it from the side with all the Capra demons.. and on the other side is that headless demon on the bridge. Opening it you skip 2 bosses and that chicken leg zone.

Pancho

Qurupancho
Can anyone explain to me better the way of the dragon covenant? How can I use the eye thingie, and that other item how do you use it? I try to use it and my character goes all "come at me bro" but nothing happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom