• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Darklord said:
Why is leather armour I found better than a lot of my heavier armour? Is it because of my class(pyromancer) or just that it's just good leather armour?
Armor stats don't have anything to do with your class so I guess it's just good leather armor. :)

orion434

Darklord said:
Why is leather armour I found better than a lot of my heavier armour? Is it because of my class(pyromancer) or just that it's just good leather armour?

The Black Leather Armor, which is the starting Armor for the Thief is a really good set for Light Armor, no Harvel Ring required. But your Poise will suck meaning that nearly every attack will stagger you.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
So I just
fought the two gargoyles and rung the 1st bell
and so far this game is a bit easier than Demon souls at this point. I know there is a ton left. I probably put into 70 hours into Demon Souls so it could be that I'm still used to how to play this type of game (still have died a ton). I guess I'm surprised to hear so many in the game media complain about the game up to this particular point when it didn't strike me as that hard.

test_account

XP-39C²
rayner said:
When you go to Equip a weapon there will be an option to Toggle stats, on the X360 it's the X butoon. There it will show what required stat is too low, it will be highlighted in red. Then check your stats and see how much you are off from the requirement.
Ah ok, thanks! :) I try to use a weapon and it says in red "17.1/46" on equip load. Does that mean that i have to upgrade the Endurance? But i dont understand why it is red when it is 17.1/46. It is in blue or white when it says 16/46.

Now i also tried to un-equip a shield, and now it is red in 15.5/46.

truly101 said:
So I just
fought the two gargoyles and rung the 1st bell
and so far this game is a bit easier than Demon souls at this point. I know there is a ton left. I probably put into 70 hours into Demon Souls so it could be that I'm still used to how to play this type of game (still have died a ton). I guess I'm surprised to hear so many in the game media complain about the game up to this particular point when it didn't strike me as that hard.

Once I got used to Demon's Souls - I didn't find it to be that hard either and always found a bit of the chest-thumping 'This is the most hardcore game ever!!!' to be a bit silly/over the top. Once you star to get to NG+/NG++ things get trickier.

I'm not even the greatest gamer either - I've put more games onto easy mode than I care to admit.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
lol g'morning... talk about rage-quit yesterday, eh? 88 (I think) humanity down the drawn. GG.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
The_Darkest_Red said:
That is gut-wrenching. :(
Heh, yep. I think I even dreamed of using humanity-consumables. Ridiculous.

Barrett2

Ok, this Lightning Spear is awesome.

Heading back to Firelink to hopefully learn some new spells from the
wizard I freed in Sen's
, then back to Anor Londo!

Footos22

Risible said:
I have never used the arrow trick, and I've played through that part at least a half dozen times now, and died maybe twice there.

You're safe to the mid point by sprinting. The hard point is from the midpoint forward, of course. Sprint to the top, go right. Roll as soon as you make the turn. Sometimes the dude hits you from behind, sometimes not. At that point of the game you should be able to take the hit. Get up holding your shield at the ready and bumrush the knight that's in front of you. Hopefully he will fall off...if not battle him while clinging to the wall so as to cut off the shot from the other knight.

Like I said, I've died maybe once or two using this method out of at least 6 tries.

Or you can just do it the easy way, even just running normally up the support they cant hit you . Run to right wait till he pulls his sword out then run back down where you came. He will just fall off.
Then go to the left and do the same, works everytime.

Yoshichan

2 more intelligence and I'll be able to use Crystal Soul Spear... I never did buy the regular Soul Spear so I have no idea how it works and I truly do hope that it's worth my hard work (44 intelligence and a bunch of souls).

Does anyone know if it's worth spending another 6 points in intelligence to get White Dragon Breath? What exactly does it allow you to do?

orion434

Yoshichan said:
lol g'morning... talk about rage-quit yesterday, eh? 88 (I think) humanity down the drawn. GG.

If I had it that high I'd wear a Sacrifice Ring at all times... but come to think of it, the guy near the gargoyles doesn't have an infinite supply. He ran out last night, can't purchase anymore :(

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Oh my god. Walking into Ash Lake was one of the most amazing moments I have had in gaming in a long time. I can't even begin to describe how happy I am that I stuck with this game.

So yeah, I bet the Four Kings, cleared the Catacombs and the Duke's Archive/Crystal Cave.

Also, man, the Duke's Archive was a fantastic level. I really enjoyed everything about it, including the -- uh -- fake-out, which was totally unexpected.

I was off the Dark Souls train in a big way, having lost at T4K repeatedly and having trouble with the first room in Duke's because of the annoying respawning caster, but all at once I bet the kings, realised what Duke's Archives actually was and steamrolled through the Catacombs. Then, with no expectations, having only heard them referred to as "filler", I was totally blown away by The Great Hollow/Ash Lake. It was one of the most creepy, surreal moments I've had in a while.
Seeing the Hydra swimming in the distance, oh my god. The walk up to and subsequent reveal of the stone dragon? Awesome. Fighting players for scales so that I can become a dragon?!
This game, man. This game. I'm enjoying it more than ever.

I think I might tackle the Demon Ruins next. It's there, or The Tomb of the Giants. Any recommendations?

Yoshichan

lawblob said:
Ok, this Lightning Spear is awesome.

Heading back to Firelink to hopefully learn some new spells from the
wizard I freed in Sen's
, then back to Anor Londo!
Don't forget that the max potential of the Winged Lightning Spear is much better than the regular Lightning Spear! That is, if you consider upgrading it, of course.

Lightning Winged Spear +5 DMG: 236 LGT: 240
Lightning Spear +5 DMG 220 LGT: 224

Yoshichan said:
Heh, yep. I think I even dreamed of using humanity-consumables. Ridiculous.
Wow, haha.

I'm curious man, what's your total playtime looking like right now? I know you've got at least 2 characters, how much time on each one of those? Are you doing NG+ now or just starting fresh again?

I don't think anyone else in the western world has played as much Dark Souls as you, importers aside. :p

Rez said:
I think I might tackle the Demon Ruins next. It's there, or The Tomb of the Giants. Any recommendations?
You should be fine in the Demon Ruins. That's the area I just finished last night (along with the area right after it) and I haven't done Tomb of Giants, Duke's Archives, or Crystal Caves yet.

MechaX

Okay, how did you people manage to get past the bridge dragon on NG+? It's absolutely absurd that he can still essentially one shot you and stun-lock you.

test_account said:
Ah ok, thanks! :) I try to use a weapon and it says in red "17.1/46" on equip load. Does that mean that i have to upgrade the Endurance? But i dont understand why it is red when it is 17.1/46. It is in blue or white when it says 16/46.

Now i also tried to un-equip a shield, and now it is red in 15.5/46.
Red means that it is worse not that you don't fit the requirement (in this case it means heavier than your previous equipment in that slot).

Yoshichan

The_Darkest_Red said:
Wow, haha.

I'm curious man, what's your total playtime looking like right now? I know you've got at least 2 characters, how much time on each one of those? Are you doing NG+ now or just starting fresh again?

I don't think anyone else in the western world has played as much Dark Souls as you, importers aside. :p
Trust me, I haven't played the game the most in the western world. This is mostly because I don't enjoy the game as much as half the people who've played it :p

Hold on, let me log on and check.

Aon

shaneskim said:
I was in the same position. SL21 and getting one shotted. Dont worry about armour or levelling as this is all tactics.

A thousand times this. I don't get why someone would grind and kill the challenge of the game xD

I've just reached the final boss, who's pretty clearly doable at my level 72, for which I never farmed or anything. By all means farm if it makes you happy, but don't operate under the illusion that you have to to win. I'm also not that amazing at the game, to boot.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Yoshichan said:
Don't forget that the max potential of the Winged Lightning Spear is much better than the regular Lightning Spear! That is, if you consider upgrading it, of course.

Lightning Winged Spear +5 DMG: 236 LGT: 240
Lightning Spear +5 DMG 220 LGT: 224

I have a winged spear +10, what do I need to convert that to lightning? Was going to go fire with it, but if I get my scimitar to +10 i can furysword that.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
luxarific said:
Another stupid question, sorry. What button do I press on the PS3 gamepad to descend ladders quickly?
Circle. It's B on 360.

Yoshichan

The_Darkest_Red said:
First character: Yoshichan - 86 hours
Second character: YoshichanGAF - 144 hours
Third character: Coolstorybro - 12 hours

Yoshichan

mrklaw said:
I have a winged spear +10, what do I need to convert that to lightning? Was going to go fire with it, but if I get my scimitar to +10 i can furysword that.
Only the blacksmith in Anor Londo can do it, he needs some kind of Ember (I don't remember which though ;_;).
luxarific said:
Thanks. I assume you have to hold it down? I tried O last night but I was only pressing it, not holding it.
No need to hold it. Just stop climbing completely, then press it once.

Did my first ever summon last night and it was 2 guys. We absolutely demolished the 2 guys in Anor Lando :)

So I made and upgraded my Qualog's Furysword to +4, but where can I farm Titanite Chunks to get it to +5? Also, I'm very curious about an effect I see on players over youtube; it has 3 arrows pointing up, which im assuming increases their equip load by a ton. Anybody know what this is? Ring? Spell? If so where can I get it?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
luxarific said:
Thanks. I assume you have to hold it down? I tried O last night but I was only pressing it, not holding it.

yeah hold. takes a moment to kick in. (and its X on Japanese PS3s..)

MechaX said:
Okay, how did you people manage to get past the bridge dragon on NG+? It's absolutely absurd that he can still essentially one shot you and stun-lock you.

strip down and run downstairs? he shouldn't be able to hit you.

Carcetti

I love this game. Made a new sorcerer because I was unhappy with some of my stat choices. Result: blazed through all the first bosses, dropping Capra, Quelaag, Gaping Dragon and all the rest 1-shot. It's amazing how much experience and player skill counts.

Now I'm farming the forest door and I don't even bother kiting the bandits to their doom, instead I just kill them faster. Sorcery is very powerful with correct items.

vermadas

You just have to press it. But don't hold down on the analog when you press it. Yeah, it's pretty picky.

Edit: whoops, forgot to refresh before posting. Thread moves too quickly.

GeekyDad

Ugh...that werewolf-boss thing in the lower burg is a douche. It's not that he's particular difficult, but those two lesser werewolves make the battle frustrating. Gotta take a break and gather myself before going back in for more abuse.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Yoshichan said:
Only the blacksmith in Anor Londo can do it, he needs some kind of Ember (I don't remember which though ;_;).

No need to hold it. Just stop climbing completely, then press it once.
Hmm, ok. I was moving down when I pressed it, so that's why it didn't work. (Did I skip a tutorial? I don't remember seeing any instructions about how to descend ladders quickly.)

Yoshichan

MechaX said:
Even in NG+++++++, he shouldn't be able to kill you if you run on the left side of the bridge. Apparently it greatly reduces damage of the fire, but obviously it'll still kill you if you get hit twice so start running immediately towards the stairs :lol
luxarific said:
Hmm, ok. I was moving down when I pressed it, so that's why it didn't work. (Did I skip a tutorial? I don't remember seeing any instructions about how to descend ladders quickly.)
There was no tutorial for it.

orion434

FuttBuck said:
Did my first ever summon last night and it was 2 guys. We absolutely demolished the 2 guys in Anor Lando :)

So I made and upgraded my Qualog's Furysword to +4, but where can I farm Titanite Chunks to get it to +5? Also, I'm very curious about an effect I see on players over youtube; it has 3 arrows pointing up, which im assuming increases their equip load by a ton. Anybody know what this is? Ring? Spell? If so where can I get it?

It's a ring that increases Stamnia regen, I think it's called Calamity Ring, found in the Great Hallow.

Yoshichan

luxarific said:
Thanks. Man, I really wish Atlus had gotten the rights to this game.
Isn't Namco Bandai the reason why the game's sold as much as it has? The heavy marketing, etc?

K' Dash

I'm in the painted world of Ariamis, going by the overpowered enemies here I'm thinking Priscilla will be a bitch to kill, right?

I need suggestions to kill the pinwheels :-(

MechaX

Augemitbutter said:
strip down and run downstairs? he shouldn't be able to hit you.

I should have specified that I'm trying to get to the Sunlight Altar from the stairs.

Even in NG+++++++, he shouldn't be able to kill you if you run on the left side of the bridge. Apparently it greatly reduces damage of the fire, but obviously it'll still kill you if you get hit twice so start running immediately towards the stairs :lol

I'll try the left side, but again, I should have clarified that I'm trying to get to the Sunlight Altar from the stairs.

K' Dash said:
I'm in the painted world of Ariamis, going by the overpowered enemies here I'm thinking Priscilla will be a bitch to kill, right?

Yeah, it isn't easy to kill Priscilla. :(
I think the pinwheels are weak to fire so if you have any fire weapons that should work. Also try to draw them into a fight one at a time and use a shield with a high stability and move to the side of their attack.

MechaX said:
I should have specified that I'm trying to get to the Sunlight Altar from the stairs.

I'll try the left side, but again, I should have clarified that I'm trying to get to the Sunlight Altar from the stairs.
Have you tried drawing the dragon down to the middle and attacking it with lightning weapons? And do you have the flame stoneplate ring that increases fire resistance? What armour are you wearing?

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Yoshichan said:
Isn't Namco Bandai the reason why the game's sold as much as it has? The heavy marketing, etc?
My impression is that people preordered the game based on Demon's Souls reputation. And if Atlus had published Dark Souls the documentation that came with the game would have been far better than what Namco gave us.

MechaX

electroshockwave said:
Have you tried drawing the dragon down to the middle and attacking it with lightning weapons? And do you have the flame stoneplate ring that increases fire resistance? What armour are you wearing?

I'm wearing Paladin Armor +4 and Stone gear for the rest. I don't have the Flame Stoneplate ring. Whenever I try to draw the dragon down to the middle, I can get a few hits off, but then he flies up and sprays fire. This has the unfortunate side-effect of effectively stun-locking my character and he will just continue doing that until I die.

orion434

K' Dash said:

Lure them to an intersection and then duck and follow. For example say there is one to the North, lure it to the intersection and it will most likely continue south... so duck to the east or west and then follow it and use fire.

MechaX said:

Strange enough, I seen a video of the Dragon not doing the fire attack on the bridge after the first fly through.
I think the guy imitated the Dragon the first time & went back & spoke to that NPC nearby on the balcony. After that the Dragon just stared him down when he was crossing the bridge.

Jinaar

Spent three hours, get from start of Tomb of Giants just before reddish/orange door that is
locked, need Great Lord Blessings or something(Which I know is the LordVessel key
! Now how do I get back up to the Catacombs thru all that shit?!?!?! AHHH I am so dead.

K' Dash

electroshockwave said:
Yeah, it isn't easy to kill Priscilla. :(
I think the pinwheels are weak to fire so if you have any fire weapons that should work. Also try to draw them into a fight one at a time and use a shield with a high stability and move to the side of their attack.

I'm all melee and dont have fire weapons, I'll have to send them to meet the creator with my Iaito.

Regarding Priscilla I think I'll try a couple times and if she fucks me I'll return with a Lighning Iaito, or pick up the lightning spear at Sen's.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
slasher_thrasher21 said:
Can you ever sell you equipment? I have wayy to many long sword.

Yes, but you can also buy the bottomless bag item (or whatever it's called) and just store your extra stuff there.

To be honest, you get so few souls for your items, you are better of just dropping them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom