• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.
x3r0123 said:
you can easily kill it with dragonslayer bow.....

Nope, it heals itself too much. I already used about 125 spears w/ that thing on him lol

As we're on the new page, we're talking about the dragon over the bridge after the first boss.

Soma

Aguirre said:
entering blight town for the first time at level 32. is this good enough?
yeah i was about that level when I beat the boss of blighttown and you'll probably get a bunch of souls there too.

just have plenty of purple moss!

atomsk

Party Pooper
64 hours later... YOU DEFEATED!

was somewhere around SL73

now I think I'll play a nice point and click adventure game or something

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Aguirre said:
entering blight town for the first time at level 32. is this good enough?

Levels are so meaningless in this game. It's not like normal games where a higher level automatically means more powerful. All about the gear!

knitoe

FreeMufasa said:
Finally beat the boss of Tomb of the Giants. Summoned some dude who finished it in 3 hits. Dissapointing since I could have beaten it if it wasn't for those damned skeletons. All I wanted was a distraction really.

So i've beaten that boss, Anor Londo, both bosses in the Demon's Cave. I'm guessing there's not much left now. 4 Kings fucked me up when I tried to fight him earlier so is there anything else I can do?
Duke Archive and 4 Kings then you can get to the end boss. With 4 Kings, 2 hand and go all out.

Aguirre

commish said:
Levels are so meaningless in this game. It's not like normal games where a higher level automatically means more powerful. All about the gear!
i was just asking because i felt that in demon's souls, levels meant a lot irregardless of armour (see: demons souls speed runs)

guess i gotta get some new clothes!! :)

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?

Soma

DigitalDevil said:
What is plenty? I have ten.

Yeah I think ten is good if you're careful in the swamp. A few Purple & White (maybe 3 or 4 to be safe) moss will be good too for the blow dart dudes. Luckily they don't respawn though.

knitoe

commish said:
I think the bosses also scales with you. They always seem to be able to 50% damage each hit no matter your armor.

x3r0123

demosthenes said:
Nope, it heals itself too much. I already used about 125 spears w/ that thing on him lol

As we're on the new page, we're talking about the dragon over the bridge after the first boss.

I snipe it from where the 3 rats are under the bridge and kills it np

corrosivefrost said:
Where's the best place to farm red chunks?
Blue chunks is probably the crystal garden outside Duke's Archives, right?
What about titanite chunks? Am I suck with darkwraiths on that one?

final boss area drops every type of stone in chunks

As a pyro, should I use the moonlight butterfly soul to create a weapon, or just grab the souls from it and power up my pyro glove more? Never created a weapon before, so I'm curious.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
abstract alien said:
As a pyro, should I use the moonlight butterfly soul to create a weapon, or just grab the souls from it and power up my pyro glove more? Never created a weapon before, so I'm curious.
Use it's soul for the shield. It's a required PVE weapon. Yes a shield as a weapon.

Minamu

Any tips on those spear bow black knights in Anor Londo? >_< Tried using Force but he slashes me to death before I can get it off.

Just started my NG+, and want to go grab the
Black Knight Greataxe
to use as my main weapon. You get it from the
Black Knight in the Catacombs
right?

Charmicarmicat said:
Just started my NG+, and want to go grab the
Black Knight Greataxe
to use as my main weapon. You get it from the
Black Knight in the Catacombs
right?

Until you get the lordvessel it's a pain in the ass to get out of there.

abstract alien said:
I'm on it! What do I need to do, as I dont know what PVE means lol

PVE - Person vs environment
PVP - Person vs person

Get a shield to +10, take it to the smith in Anor Londo so he can make it.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
knitoe said:
I think the bosses also scales with you. They always seem to be able to 50% damage each hit no matter your armor.
Bosses might have attacks that do a % damage to you or something, but they absolutely do not scale.

matmanx1

Pyromancy is pretty beastly. I have my flame at +11 and was able to 3 shot
Havel the Rock
with Great Combustion doing over 400dmg a touch with the Bellowing Dragoncrest Ring equipped.

I went in prepared for a long, drawn out fight because I'd heard how tough and durable he was but he ended up dieing really quickly to the pyromancers flame. I really had no intention of using Pyromancy as anything but a support for my up close and personal playstyle but it's so strong it's sort of silly not to use it to it's fullest.

Is Firestorm as good in Dark Souls as it was in Demon's Souls? I think I remember killing Maneater in 2 casts in Demon's Souls with my Royal and just being shocked at the destructive power.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
matmanx1 said:
Havel the Rock
with Great Combustion doing over 400dmg a touch with the Bellowing Dragoncrest Ring equipped.

I went in prepared for a long, drawn out fight because I'd heard how tough and durable he was but he ended up dieing really quickly to the pyromancers flame. I really had no intention of using Pyromancy as anything but a support for my up close and personal playstyle but it's so strong it's sort of silly not to use it to it's fullest.

Is Firestorm as good in Dark Souls as it was in Demon's Souls? I think I remember killing Maneater in 2 casts in Demon's Souls with my Royal and just being shocked at the destructive power.
I killed Havel way before I was supposed to and it was fun.

Firestorm was way nerfed from what I hear.

By the time my character was complete in DS I had that spell and my first time ever using it took out the Penetrator in one shot.

Havel is one enemy I don't understand the difficulty of... Everyone seems to say he was tough but I beat him before I even attempted the gargoyles with little issue. I don't think he even hit me.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
He couldn't have hit me, I would have died to any of his attacks. Was level 18 I think. He was pretty easy to backstab though.

linko9

DigitalDevil said:
Havel is one enemy I don't understand the difficulty of... Everyone seems to say he was tough but I beat him before I even attempted the gargoyles with little issue. I don't think he even hit me.

The only thing that makes Havel hard is if you're trying to use a shield, and don't have enough poise, so you keep getting staggered. If you get staggered, just dodge instead of using a shield, he's still pretty easy. If you don't get staggered, he's laughable.

Darklord

Banned
matmanx1 said:
Havel the Rock

How do you upgrade your fireball?

demosthenes said:
Until you get the lordvessel it's a pain in the ass to get out of there.

My plan was to go down and then kill myself to get back to the bonfire, won't have too many souls as I'll be killing mainly skeletons. Is it the right place to get it though?

linko9 said:
The only thing that makes Havel hard is if you're trying to use a shield, and don't have enough poise, so you keep getting staggered. If you get staggered, just dodge instead of using a shield, he's still pretty easy. If you don't get staggered, he's laughable.
What the hell does poise even do? I was wearing the balder armor set which gave me like 30 poise, but after recently switching to another set (i hate seeing my zombie body so exposed, lol) I haven't noticed any difference without it.

DigitalDevil said:
What the hell does poise even do? I was wearing the balder armor set which gave me like 30 poise, but after recently switching to another set (i hate seeing my zombie body so exposed, lol) I haven't noticed any difference without it.

Pretty sure it dictates how much "knock back" you experience when wearing heavy armor and you get hit by a strong enemy attack.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
linko9 said:
It's funny, "not getting staggered" was like a fantasy for me until conquering Anor Londo. With Ornstein's Armor and the mobility afforded by the Dark Wood Grain ring, it really is almost silly how much punishment I can take while still running around like a ninja.

KoreanBarbecue said:
Pretty sure it dictates how much "knock back" you experience when wearing heavy armor and you get hit by a strong enemy attack.
It affects knock back for all attacks. Light attacks, if you have adequate poise, if I'm remembering right, won't even interrupt your action.

KoreanBarbecue said:
Ah. I'll check in the guide later and see if I can confirm that, thanks! I had read somewhere that it affected your ability to flip around enemies for backstab opportunities, but since the thief armor sets don't provide poise that doesn't really make much sense.

I hate those stupid jumping dinosaur demons so freaking much. Lost Izalith can go die. It doesn't help that all those branches you're supposed to walk on have countless spots that your character can get stuck in. That's just kind of poor design.

TheBear

Holy shit, pyro is incredibly powerful once you upgrade the glove. Lighting motherfuckers up with combustion is awesome. Where do I get more spells from?

Insaniac

If i get a +10 shield to make the moonlight butterfly shield, does it matter what base shield I upgrade to make it, or will the stats be the same regardless

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
DigitalDevil said:
Ah. I'll check in the guide later and see if I can confirm that, thanks! I had read somewhere that it affected your ability to flip around enemies for backstab opportunities, but since the thief armor sets don't provide poise that doesn't really make much sense.
Yeah that's very wrong.
Poise: The Poise dictate how resilient the piece of armor is to hitstun. A higher poise gives a greater chance that the player will not be interrupted or staggered when hit.

DigitalDevil said:
He was pretty easy for me, I went for him after beating Taurus. Sure, he could one shot me and that made the fight risky, but all it took was repeat whiff punishing.

dock

I just got stabbed in the back by a black knight.

Then my PS3 froze, turned off, and won't turn on again. :(

Talk about permadeath.

linko9

dock said:
I just got stabbed in the back by a black knight.

Then my PS3 froze, turned off, and won't turn on again. :(

Talk about permadeath.

That's terrible, have you tried unplugging it for a while and then plugging it back in?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom