• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I just beat
smough and ornstein
and got his ring to boot. So, what do I do next? Any spots I should hit up before continuing the main quest? Only forest thing I haven't beaten is
Sif
, but I want to start farming humanity and titanite chunks so I can upgrade my armor and weapons.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Infernodash said:
So I just beat
smough and ornstein
and got his ring to boot. So, what do I do next? Any spots I should hit up before continuing the main quest? Only forest thing I haven't beaten is
Sif
, but I want to start farming humanity and titanite chunks so I can upgrade my armor and weapons.
What ring does he/they have?

UNCyrus

g35twinturbo said:
yessir lol.

Is there a bonfire in here?

Once you get to the roof, you have to fall off a specific side of the castle to get to the hidden bonfire. You should see an abundance of messages on the floor pointing you there.

Finalow

Infernodash said:
So I just beat
smough and ornstein
Sif
catacombs? Londo ruins? Blighttown?

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
UNCyrus said:
Once you get to the roof, you have to fall off a specific side of the castle to get to the hidden bonfire. You should see an abundance of messages on the floor pointing you there.

cool I was near it then, I talk to the merchant then on my way back to release big hat i fell off lol

Im_Special

So what is the consensus on the best bow, or bow upgrade path? I hear going elemental does jack all for bows because elemental damage doesn't apply to arrows shot only the melee damage you would do with it, is that true? 15+ the way to go then I assume.

Also does the elemental upgrade path apply to crossbows too? I see a lot of people going 5+ Lightning Avelyn, which wouldn't make sense if that lightning damage didn't apply in some way.

sixghost

Just beat the game, it wound down a little toward the end, especially TotG and Lost Izalith. What a great game though, the first 20 or so hours are something I'm not ever going to forget.

Moment of the game:
The last part of the Sif fight. I had to fight back tears when he started limping towards me. Brilliant.

It's going to be really hard to start a new character and play without the warping.

RyanDG

Dresden said:
Killing Ornstein first makes him drop the Leo Ring. It increases counter attack damage or something.

Yep - counter attack thrust damage... However, for those that care about that sort of thing... The Hornet ring does it a lot better and covers all criticals...

mrklaw

MrArseFace
finally cleared sif, can now head into Sen's fortress. On the positive side, every time I got killed by him I had to go through the forest, so I was slowly accumulating souls as I went. When I finally beat him I had 102k. A few levels up plus bumping my pyromancy flame to +10 and 100 firebombs was a nice shopping spree.

I think I might be relying on lock-on too much. When you have to get in close like with Sif its pretty tricky to manoeuvre. Do you do it without lock on?

Really short of large shards to upgrade my scimitar from +5 to +10. Where is best for them? Just normal upgrades, ready for the fury sword

RyanDG

mrklaw said:
Really short of large shards to upgrade my scimitar from +5 to +10. Where is best for them? Just normal upgrades, ready for the fury sword

Blighttown leeches, the depth slimes (which are also good for green titanite), or just buying them from
the merchant in Sen's for 4k a pop
are your best bets.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
I suppose some people might frown upon my uber-cheese tactics (full timing fog+slumbering dragoncrest, lots of sniping with poison arrows, and abusing the ridiculous range of Demon's Spear+5) but I've been enjoying the mid/late-game more than any other part.

Obviously a big thing is that with the tactics I'm employing is that I can really dictate how (non boss) fights take place, but what I really appreciate is that unlike Demon's Souls where hyper-mode bows were a one size fits all solution, the way Dark is designed forces me to adapt to a lot more based on circumstance.

Its really inventive, and the level design is as good as I've ever seen.

96hrs in, and still loving it.

jersoc

yeah, thanks to some kind soul for helping out on ornstein and smough. took forever to actually get a phantom who didn't fail to summon. bah.

kyubajin

This game is kicking my arse hard! I dunno whether to try and beat the Gaping Dragon, go further into the forest, try the catacombs... Everywhere I go I just get raped by Dark Knights, automatons, rocky giants, skeletons, etc, etc. I love this game.

At the university today, I got out of class bumped into my friends. We stopped in place & shared our experiences with Dark Souls. Thus 2 hours flew by

Livanh

wah need help pls :)
just had my first try with
Seath the Scaleless
, died, got resurrected at a new bonfire, activated it and now i'm traped in a small room with 2 doors i cant open?!
wtf, how do i get out? cant warp from this bonfire either.

MechaX

Livanh said:
wah need help pls :)
just had my first try with
Seath the Scaleless
, died, got resurrected at a new bonfire, activated it and now i'm traped in a small room with 2 doors i cant open?!
wtf, how do i get out? cant warp from this bonfire either.

You see that guard right outside the door?
Just hit him and take his loot.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
mrklaw said:
I think I might be relying on lock-on too much. When you have to get in close like with Sif its pretty tricky to manoeuvre. Do you do it without lock on?

Depends on how you're fighting him.

Easiest way to win:
heavy armour (stone set) + Iron Flesh, get right in his face lock-on and spam greater combustion with bellowing dragoncrest to buff damage. Takes him down so fast he doesn't even get chance to limp

2AdEPT

x3r0123 said:
go talk to those pyro npcs. There is one at firelink and another at queen's domain.
The one at blighttown ascends your glove
You can get silly pyro on one spell in particualr if you join the covenant there. WIll cost you, but souls (which if you don't like farming and prefer PVP etc. ) are getting plentiful by the time you get into that part of the game.

Soma

Hawkian said:
Which bosses can you beat the the game without ever fighting?
Based off the speed run:
Capra Demon, Gaping Dragon, Stray Demon, Demon Firesage, Centipede Demon, Crossbreed Priscilla
and maybe a few i'm missing...

feel

It has been a good number of years since a game legitimately hooked me in like this. I thought I was just getting old and wouldn't feel this way about a game again, (you know, that feeling of REALLY WANTING to play it when I'm away from it) but I guess games have just been shit lately?? This is beyond brilliant in every way, I kinda feel like doing a very long post praising this game in detail, but meh, words wouldn't do it justice and I'm lazy. So many games yet to play, but this will probably get my vote in the GAF goty.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Bah gave into a moment of temptation and used the soul breath thing. Got up to SL 400ish but it really didn't make the game easier.

Started over, killed/missed a few npc I shouldn't have and wasted a ton of mats on shit I don't use. Just feel dirty for cheating, I'm sorry Dark Souls.

Booshka

Just beat NG+ in like 25 hours, I did the Lost Izalith shortcut because I just didn't want to deal with that nonsense again. I pretty much played that area like the speedrun, didn't even bother fighting and even did some of the Quit/Save tricks during the boss. I forgot to pickup the Blue Titanite Slab though, which sucks, but I just started rushing through the game once I got past the ToG.

It's amazing how many Souls you get while farming Humanity from the
baby skeletons
on NG+, I had a summon sign down as well, and got invaded by the same guy three times, beat him all three times. He had ring of fog, magic shield invulnerability and some other nonsense, but he had very little HP and his attacks did nearly nothing to me. He was more annoying than good. Leveled up like 7 times in an hour, and got like 45 humanity.

Not sure what to do with my stats now, my Vit is 50, End is still 40, Strength is at 53 and I'm gonna push it up to 58 so I can use
Smough's
Hammer, but other than that, not sure what to level up. I might just add more to Attunement for Pyromancy. My Dex is 20, is there any good reason to level it up, for my build?

I made a ton of Boss weapons on my NG+ playthrough and was disappointed by all of them, and most of them have high magic requirements, Black Knight Great Axe is still my weapon to beat.

Eusis

Warnen said:
Bah gave into a moment of temptation and used the soul breath thing. Got up to SL 400ish but it really didn't make the game easier.

Started over, killed/missed a few npc I shouldn't have and wasted a ton of mats on shit I don't use. Just feel dirty for cheating, I'm sorry Dark Souls.
This is why I did it on a separate account/character. That way I can mess around, then switch to my main guy for actual progress, and also so I can keep the character offline and not have any illegitimate trophies accumulate. As much as I hate what achievements/trophies are doing to what people want out of games, to the point it seems to actively diminish sales or even BLOCK some games from coming here, I don't like the idea of cheating them beyond normal game abuse anyway, IE abusing bad AI.

Funny though, to actually max out it'd take a LONG time of holding down Square, even with higher yield souls, and it doesn't make the game a cakewalk so much as reduce the difficulty to that of other games.

Im_Special said:
So what is the consensus on the best bow, or bow upgrade path? I hear going elemental does jack all for bows because elemental damage doesn't apply to arrows shot only the melee damage you would do with it, is that true? 15+ the way to go then I assume.

Also does the elemental upgrade path apply to crossbows too? I see a lot of people going 5+ Lightning Avelyn, which wouldn't make sense if that lightning damage didn't apply in some way.

Pharis' Bow has the longest range and the best Dex scaling of any bow, it's base damage is lower than other bows but in the long run it should outpace them all on a straight upgrade path.

Speaking of bows I was having a hard time with those archers in Anor Londo until I tried sniping them with poison arrows from the gargoyle tower. So easy. Just glad I brought some with me, worth it just for that spot alone.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Where's the best place to find Green titanite? I want to make a Divine weapon in case I tackle Catacombs before Depths--or should I just hit up Depths? Butcher already....butchered...me there; was terrifying cuz he surprised me around a corner down some steps.

Booshka

bob_arctor said:
Where's the best place to find Green titanite? I want to make a Divine weapon in case I tackle Catacombs before Depths--or should I just hit up Depths? Butcher already....butchered...me there; was terrifying cuz he surprised me around a corner down some steps.
Killing Slugs in the Swamps, they drop like 5 at a time.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Booshka said:
Killing Slugs in the Swamps, they drop like 5 at a time.
Oh man. Haven't even discovered the Swamps yet. Hmm. Maybe I will just find out exactly what the hell that huge thing in the distance is that keeps making a swooshing sound in Darkroot Basin. I'm sure nothing good. Thanks for the tip btw.

Booshka

bob_arctor said:
Oh man. Haven't even discovered the Swamps yet. Hmm. Maybe I will just find out exactly what the hell that huge thing in the distance is that keeps making a swooshing sound in Darkroot Basin. I'm sure nothing good. Thanks for the tip btw.
swamps is at the bottom of blighttown

TheBear

Just about to enter Blighttown, and I'm equipped with Pyro +9, Magic Morning Star +5, and a Spider Shield. I'm expecting to be raped upon entering. Any tips?

Insaniac

I guess I"ll ask again, does it matter what shield I upgrade into the moonring(?) shield. Like will defense or anything else get taken into account

MechaX

Boo. NG+ is getting boring again. For a Dex build, there just isn't a lot of weapons to choose from.

Time to try again by rolling mage!

Booshka

MechaX said:
Boo. NG+ is getting boring again. For a Dex build, there just isn't a lot of weapons to choose from.

Time to try again by rolling mage!
For a STR build there is only one weapon to choose from. :/

Booshka said:
Just beat NG+ in like 25 hours, I did the Lost Izalith shortcut because I just didn't want to deal with that nonsense again. I pretty much played that area like the speedrun, didn't even bother fighting and even did some of the Quit/Save tricks during the boss. I forgot to pickup the Blue Titanite Slab though, which sucks, but I just started rushing through the game once I got past the ToG.

It's amazing how many Souls you get while farming Humanity from the
baby skeletons
on NG+, I had a summon sign down as well, and got invaded by the same guy three times, beat him all three times. He had ring of fog, magic shield invulnerability and some other nonsense, but he had very little HP and his attacks did nearly nothing to me. He was more annoying than good. Leveled up like 7 times in an hour, and got like 45 humanity.

Not sure what to do with my stats now, my Vit is 50, End is still 40, Strength is at 53 and I'm gonna push it up to 58 so I can use
Smough's
Hammer, but other than that, not sure what to level up. I might just add more to Attunement for Pyromancy. My Dex is 20, is there any good reason to level it up, for my build?

I made a ton of Boss weapons on my NG+ playthrough and was disappointed by all of them, and most of them have high magic requirements, Black Knight Great Axe is still my weapon to beat.

What's the Lost Izalith shortcut?

mrklaw said:
finally cleared sif, can now head into Sen's fortress. On the positive side, every time I got killed by him I had to go through the forest, so I was slowly accumulating souls as I went. When I finally beat him I had 102k. A few levels up plus bumping my pyromancy flame to +10 and 100 firebombs was a nice shopping spree.

Been the odd boss/enemy where I've ditched lock on because it would make my camera swing around too wildly. Generally I keep it on though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom