• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
I've been avoiding talking to covenant initiating NPCs all this time fearing I might give a wrong answer and force myself into one or lock myself out of it (can this actually happen or is it basically FUD?).

I just defeated the Quelaag and now I'm in the Sister's chamber, can I talk to the Sister, asking her to reinforce my flask, without joining? and if I initiate the request by accident and refuse to join, would I still be able to join later?

Kevtones

Weird, the Giant Rat is the one boss-ish I beat on my first attempt. Everything else has given me trouble. Although once I got less intimidated by Quelagg, I got smart and beat it quick.

Holy piss this game is hard. I keep getting my ass beat by the first enemies once you escape the asylum :/

did anyone one else LOL at the corpse dumped into your cell at the beginning having the key to your cell on him? I mean, really, what are the odds?

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
This is my first time playing the game in almost a week. Fuck im behind. I died in Sen's cause i got too careless. I expected a bonfire at some point and never found one.

Izuna

Banned
I Push Fat Kids said:
Weird, the Giant Rat is the one boss-ish I beat on my first attempt. Everything else has given me trouble. Although once I got less intimidated by Quelagg, I got smart and beat it quick.

Yeah but that prick OHKO'd me 'cause my Vitality is like 8. lol

I've been collecting spells and miracles and boosting whatever as I get souls, but nothing specific -- my all purpose general character here is has nothing over say 28 at the moment.

However, as part of my leveling, I decided I wanted to be able to use crystal magic sword (good decision on my part, mind you)... I got my INT to 25 now... and I can use both.

I was FLOORED to see that my INT level automatically gave me 4 orbs for homing crystal soul mass (the other reason I wanted more INT)... so I took it for a spin in Lost Izalith. I cast it running up the stairs toward the chaos squid thing... the thing that took 3 great heavy soul arrows previously. And I watched as homing crystal soul mass dropped it in one cast.

Also awesome: seeing my damage on my Uchi+10 go from sub 50 on the firebreathing statue things to going to 110. My decisions feel justified.

Now I just need to figure out if it's worth boosting INT to a level where I can use soul spear/dragon breath or if I should be putting more in END/VIT/STR/FAITH...

MechaX

Jinfash said:
I've been avoiding talking to covenant initiating NPCs all this time fearing I might give a wrong answer and force myself into one or lock myself out of it (can this actually happen or is it basically FUD?).

I just defeated the Quelaag and now I'm in the Sister's chamber, can I talk to the Sister, asking her to reinforce my flask, without joining? and if I initiate the request by accident and refuse to join, would I still be able to join later?

Yeah, you can do that.

Also, I think the rule of thumb is that you can abandon/switch/leave covenants all you want just as long as you don't do anything to flat out betray them (like attacking their allies).

Jinfash said:

Yes, but I don't think she reinforces flasks for some reason.

You have to select "enter covenant" to become part of it.
And you can't fuck it up... at least not with Chaos/Sunlight/White/Gravelord/Dragon covenants.

MechaX said:
Yeah, you can do that.

Also, I think the rule of thumb is that you can abandon/switch/leave covenants all you want just as long as you don't do anything to flat out betray them (like attacking their allies).

This is true; you also lose your rank... or at least half of it, upon rejoining.

Thagomizer said:
Holy piss this game is hard. I keep getting my ass beat by the first enemies once you escape the asylum :/

did anyone one else LOL at the corpse dumped into your cell at the beginning having the key to your cell on him? I mean, really, what are the odds?

Well maybe
he was a guard and the killed him so that you could get the key...

Kevtones

izunadono said:
Yeah but that prick OHKO'd me 'cause my Vitality is like 8. lol

Mine was around 11-12 I think and I remember it taking me down near death a couple times. He's also easy to cheese if you hide from him.

hteng

Banned
corrosivefrost said:
Yes, but I don't think she reinforces flasks for some reason.

You have to select "enter covenant" to become part of it.
And you can't fuck it up... at least not with Chaos/Sunlight/White/Gravelord/Dragon covenants.

This is true; you also lose your rank... or at least half of it, upon rejoining.

she does reinforce flasks, she is a fire keeper, a lil bit corrupted by chaos.

if you have the chaos witch ring you can actually "talk" to her

Izuna

Banned
I Push Fat Kids said:
Mine was around 11-12 I think and I remember it taking me down near death a couple times. He's also easy to cheese if you hide from him.

hahahaha!

Anyway thanks, boss strats for ones I've already beat is cool. If I end up playing NG+ I'll try to do it with minimal deaths. I don't know if I want to hunt the tro... Achievements.

hteng

Banned
bathala said:
Why did my old pyro teacher attack me at the swamp? I just told him where his Old teacher was?

Jealousy? LOL

Pyromancers are devotees to the chaos cult, if you talked to him enough you will learn he admires the witches. So you killing one of the chaos witch will gain his enmity. oh and he pretty much hollowed out before he could get to the sister of chaos.

MechaX

corrosivefrost said:

I think it was half of it. But there have been conflicting reports by people who didn't lose anything by just leaving the covenant before switching, but I'd just go with the "half your rank" theory first.

bathala said:
Why did my old pyro teacher attack me at the swamp? I just told him where his Old teacher was?

Jealousy? LOL

He wanted a flame like yours. He went to find it and became hollow in the process.

hteng said:
she does reinforce flasks, she is a fire keeper, a lil bit corrupted by chaos.

if you have the chaos witch ring you can actually "talk" to her

Yeah, I know she is, I killed her for the firekeeper soul. ;) +6 is NICE.
I just didn't recall seeing the reinforce option in the list of things... maybe because I didn't have a soul at the time?

I could swear my list was:
Offer Humanity
Enter Covenant
Talk
Leave

Maybe Enter Covenant wasn't there after I joined and it was Reinforce Flask? I dunno. :\

I Push Fat Kids said:
I'm pretty average/mediocre at the game but I've committed myself to getting 100% achievements. I got all the trophies in DS/loved it.

So did I -- fuck pure bladestone man. And fuck chunks of cloudstone. :lol
So far, I don't think anything other than the rare weapons trophy is currently looking at aggravating me this game... that damned titanite catching pole or whatever... ugh; it's one of 3 drops I still need (black knight shield, black knight axe).
The way of sunlight miracle maybe -- but not sure on that yet -- I'm currently in way of sunlight... if I lose that covenant when I go to NG+, then I'll be pissed (if it requires me to lower the reqs again).

Kevtones

izunadono said:
hahahaha!

Anyway thanks, boss strats for ones I've already beat is cool. If I end up playing NG+ I'll try to do it with minimal deaths. I don't know if I want to hunt the tro... Achievements.

I'm pretty average/mediocre at the game but I've committed myself to getting 100% achievements. I got all the trophies in DS/loved it.

Aselith

Is there a merchant with Prism Stones near the Crystal Caves? I don't want to have to go back to Firelink to get them every time I run out just to get back to cut my way through those fucking cocksuckers just to fight that cunt. Why couldn't they have made them more than 99 can be carried like the damn arrows?

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Damn. I found the Great Axe in the Depths, cleared out everything down there except the Boss, racked up 10k souls---and promptly wasted them making the Great Axe up to +5. I say wasted because I didn't take note that I need 34 Strength to wield it effectively. I'm currently only 24. Sigh.

On the plus side, I am owning the Depths. Giant Undead Rat had no chance and my Gargolyle Helmet with it's good Poison reduction has been keeping me healthy. I just need to cross that white door to the boss.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Charmicarmicat said:
Yeah I did exactly that. Make sure to buy any of the unique weapons from Shiva first though.
I didn't realize he sold claws and killed him. I want claws :'( Someone give me claws.

Aselith said:
Is there a merchant with Prism Stones near the Crystal Caves? I don't want to have to go back to Firelink to get them every time I run out just to get back to cut my way through those fucking cocksuckers just to fight that cunt. Why couldn't they have made them more than 99 can be carried like the damn arrows?

The *only* reason you need them in there is to get the blue titanite slab.
Seriously.

After the first golem, you go in the sparkly hole, run straight to the end, drop down, run all the way up to the end, turn left, run straight across to the next crystal. Turn left. run all the way down on top of the big structure, jump off by the sparklies, run straight across and you're done.

The only invisible path that isn't a straight shot from A-B is the one the leads out to the blue titanite slab.

bathala said:
How did u guys find out about this pyro guy getting hollowed

The game tells you about hollows going mad and insane when you get your estus flask. When Oscar gives it to you, he tells you to get the hell out of there, lest he go insane, not recognize you, and attempt to kill you as a mindless hollow...
and when you return to the asylum, he does just that.
I think Rickert says the same thing... about not wanting to be let out of his cell down in New Londo... he's afraid of becoming hollow and going mad and would rather be locked in the cell if it happened.

It can happen to a lot of people.
Odds are, if someone left firelink to go off on a quest, they probably didn't make it and are roaming around as a mad hollow somewhere in the world.

Off the top of my head:
crestfallen warrior - entrance to new londo ruins
griggs - sen's fortress
logan - duke's archives
rhea - duke's archives
rhea's guards - tomb of giants
solaire - lost izalith

Aselith

corrosivefrost said:
Seriously.

After the first golem, you go in the sparkly hole, run straight to the end, drop down, run all the way up to the end, turn left, run straight across to the next crystal. Turn left. run all the way down on top of the big structure, jump off by the sparklies, run straight across and you're done.

The only invisible path that isn't a straight shot from A-B is the one the leads out to the blue titanite slab.

What about the one where you drop down a bit and then cross to the end area? It zig-zags all over for me or at least it seems like it.

hteng

Banned
bathala said:
How did u guys find out about this pyro guy getting hollowed

look at his face. and the sad dude sitting at the bench of firelink
went hollowed when i visited the new londo ruins. i killed his asss easily of coz.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Thanks for the tips guys. Is there a place where I can check the "codes" of each covenant. I want to join the Chaos Servants but I have no idea what their rules are.

bathala

Banned
hteng said:
look at his face. and the sad dude sitting at the bench of firelink
went hollowed when i visited the new londo ruins. i killed his asss easily of coz.
I never get to see his face it was too dark and the annoying mosquitos has on the way too.

Kinda sad wat happened to him. Oh well he had to die

Aselith said:
What about the one where you drop down a bit and then cross to the end area? It zig-zags all over for me or at least it seems like it.

Nah, the one that zigzags is the one that goes to the blue titanite stone.

Usually, people put orange markers on the middle of the bridge...
If you went through a cave after you dropped down, you're going the wrong way, that's the way to blue titanite.

I can take a picture of the map in the guide book if you really need it. :)

Jinfash said:
Thanks for the tips guys. Is there a place where I can check the "codes" of each covenant. I want to join the Chaos Servants but I have no idea what their rules are.

Code of the covenant? Don't kill members; the only one that's a pain in the ass is the forest covenant since you can't farm there anymore.

Zoe

WTF, I just got killed trying to summon! The summoning failed causing the game to pause and a knight was able to do a backstab on me while I couldn't move >_<

tokkun

Jinfash said:

Just don't attack anyone in the faction. That's the rule for pretty much all of them. Also, for Blades of the Darkmoon, don't enter the fog in front of Gwyndolin.

JVIDICAN

Pumpkins said:
He hollowed/went mad.
Just like everyone else you ever cared about. ;_;
At least I still have Patches, Fatty sister killer, old sealer guy, and crow.

I was messing around today between farming I Decided to test the infinite item glitch with the glowing stones. Managed to get fire link shrines frame rate into slide show territory. Now to try it in Lost Izalith! :D

Just beat that big dude with the axe that shoots lightning balls in Undead Parish.

That shit was tense.

btw I managed to accumulate one humanity. Is there any point in holding onto it?

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
corrosivefrost said:
Code of the covenant? Don't kill members; the only one that's a pain in the ass is the forest covenant since you can't farm there anymore.
The Forest Covenant members, bless their hearts, are pretty obvious, but what about the Chaos Servants, are they all the egg-people laying around or just Quelaag's sister and Eingyi?

Edit:

Another quick question (all I have is questions these days): is the
"Lautric kills the fire keeper"
event unavoidable? I haven't rung the second bell yet, as I'm waiting to confirm this.

Thanks in advance.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
toasty_T said:
Just beat that big dude with the axe that shoots lightning balls in Undead Parish.

That shit was tense.

btw I managed to accumulate one humanity. Is there any point in holding onto it?
When Human you get more item drops I think and you can Kindle bonfires for more Estus flasks with another Humanity. You can also summon help against bosses. That's all I know.

corrosivefrost said:
Seriously.

Yeah after reading everyone raging about Crystal Caves I was almost disappointed with how simple it all was :p

JVIDICAN

Jinfash said:
The Forest Covenant members, bless their hearts, are pretty obvious, but what about the Chaos Servants, are they all the egg-people laying around or just Quelaag's sister and Eingyi?

Edit:

event unavoidable? I haven't rung the second bell yet, as I'm waiting to confirm this.

Thanks in advance.
If he's left alive, I think its unavoidable. But that event is the only way to eventually obtain his armor, and
restore the fire keepers speech

Jinfash said:
The Forest Covenant members bless their hearts are obvious, but what about the Chaos Servants, are they all the egg-people laying around or just Quelaag's sister and Eingyi?

Edit:

Thanks in advance.

Yes. Eingyi and Quelaag's sister is all. Other egg people are fine.
In fact, attack one and let it grab you and plant a maggot in your head. You'll develop an egg head. Then talk to Eingyi -- he'll give you a free cure and decide to sell you toxic and poison mist spells.

The only other one really obvious one is the Darkmoon one of not entering Gwyndolin's fog; but he tells you that anyway.

Charmicarmicat said:
Yeah after reading everyone raging about Crystal Caves I was almost disappointed with how simple it all was :p

Between the blue titanite slab, cutting off Seath's tail, and my initial learning of the paths, I had my fair share of aggravation. But it's not nearly as bad as everyone made it out to be, and I'll say the same applies (even more so) for Lost Izalith. Once you get the orange charred ring, I don't see what the complaints about Lost Izalith are. I suppose if you were melee only or something ... but if you have a ranged attack of any sort, you just agitate them and let them kill each other. :lol

The exceptions are that (1) you'll be forced to attack Nito and abandon gravelord during normal story progression and (2) you can cut off the Stone Dragon's tail with no consequences (though I'd recommend doing it before you join).

tokkun

Jinfash said:

I think it's just the Daughters of Chaos & Eiyingi. You run into Daughters of Chaos later.

Thanks in advance.

Yes, by killing him. But I recommend that you let it play out.

TP

corrosivefrost said:
You do? Where? I think I missed this because I killed Eiyingi after I got my 30 souls for Great Chaos Storm.

I think there's one in Lost Izalith, on the other side of the shortcut. I'm not sure, she was wearing the Gold-Hemmed Black Set and started chucking fire at me so I ran because I didn't want to risk breaking the covenant

Edit: yup, http://darksouls.wikidot.com/daughter-of-chaos

Insaniac

Whoa, just got summned to anor londo in someones NG+, killed the invader for a cool 24k souls and then Smough and Ornstein for another 48,000. om nom nom

whats the usual SL for NG+ anor londo?

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Anyone else feel really bad when you summon people into your realm to fight a boss and then you die because you were an idiot?

Bah!

Anyways, Sif is dead. Onwards!

Did they patch the infinite souls glitch? It still works, but it certainly isn't infinite. You can use the item many times but then it stops. For example I was able to turn a boss soul into 750, 000 souls but it didn't keep going forever. It stopped working even though I was holding down the button.

Jeo said:
I think there's one in Lost Izalith, on the other side of the shortcut. I'm not sure, she was wearing the Gold-Hemmed Black Set and started chucking fire at me so I ran because I didn't want to risk breaking the covenant

Edit: yup, http://darksouls.wikidot.com/daughter-of-chaos

I had thought Quelana had hollowed -- was relieved to see it was not when I returned to blighttown.

That's so odd -- you didn't instigate -- I thought it had something to do with attacking someone using a cracked red eye.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom