• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT4| Victory achieved for Scamco, text defeated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Back up your saves.

I've played Dark Souls for hundreds of hours and never had a single freeze.

Evolved1

What are some good starting weapons aside from the Drake Sword?

Progress-wise I've reached The Depths.

Well... harder to do better than the Drake Sword at the outset.

But, you have very early access to the winged spear and Zweihänder... and if you have the master key, astora's straight sword is good for a faith build. Can have any of these weapons in like 5 mins from the first moments of the game.

There's also a morning star... but I don't really think it's anything to write home about.

Oh... and if you kill the first merchant, you can get a katana (I forget which one) but you'll lose access to his items (arrows, bolts, firebombs, bottomless box, repair box, resident's key) so tread carefully there. Buy everything you need first. If you're in the depths, then you have access to another merchant for arrows and whatnot. Just not fireboms.

Well... harder to do better than the Drake Sword at the outset.

But, you have very early access to the winged spear and Zweihänder... and if you have the master key, astora's straight sword is good for a faith build. Can have any of these weapons in like 5 mins from the first moments of the game.

There's also a morning star... but I don't really think it's anything to write home about.

Oh... and if you kill the first merchant, you can get a katana (I forget which one) but you'll lose access to his items (arrows, bolts, firebombs, bottomless box, repair box, resident's key) so tread carefully there. Buy everything you need first. If you're in the depths, then you have access to another merchant for arrows and whatnot. Just not fireboms.

Good stuff good stuff. I've got all of those except the Astora straight sword and katana.

Also have the Gargoyle's Halberd. Might play around with it.

Evolved1

Also have the Gargoyle's Halberd. Might play around with it.

I don't know much about that weapon... but you're pretty fortunate to get it so early in the game. There's a point later where you'll get another, but as far as I know that's a rare drop in the beginning. Honestly, didn't even know that was possible.

I've read posts about people who use it for pvp so maybe it's good. The default halberd is pretty good weapon for the early game...

In my playthroughs... I'm kind of OCD about upgrading stiff, so by the time I get my hands on a Gargoyle's Halberd my other weapons are all so heavily upgraded that it's regression to start using that. And I've never looked into upgrading it.

edit: hey just so you know... that hallway full of slimey blob enemies (lol I don't know what these are called) near the bonfire in the depths is the only place I've found to farm large titanite shards in the early game. The slimers often drop those and green titanite.

Soulhouf

What are some good starting weapons aside from the Drake Sword?

Progress-wise I've only just reached The Depths.

Claymore.
You can pick it from the bridge where the red dragon is/was, and actually it's better than Drake sword if you upgrade it to +5 (better range, better move set and get more powerful quickly). And since you're in the Depths, you can now upgrade it to +10 for more awesomeness.

Edit: Gargoyle's Halberd is very powerful but not easy to use. It's good in open areas when you fight many enemies.

M.D

Back up your saves.

I've played Dark Souls for hundreds of hours and never had a single freeze.

I should probably be more specific by saying that the game doesn't completely freezes or freezes the system, so far it's just the game freezing for a couple of seconds and after that it runs as usual

This never happened to me before, and I've been playing the game for 90+ hours

I'll backup my saves and prepare for the worst :(

BTW, I've got a Lighting Gargoyle's Halberd +2 , and it's pretty powerful as it is
It's pretty powerful at +5 with 316 physical damage and 322 lightning damage

I've used it for some time, but I don't really like it's move set.

The Chef

Can i still really be this pathetically weak??
Im at level 58 have a Bastard Sword that is +5 but for the life of me I cant wind a single fight against other players.
I have Stone armor head to toe thinking this will somehow make me a tough opponent but alas, every game I invade or am summoned to i get destroyed! Like 2 hits and I'm dead.

I must truly have the worst character build ever.

The Chef

I started this game with the intention of making a Tank player. So having focused exclusively on strength and endurance till this level I am able to comfortably wear some pretty bad ass armor and have a decent weapon. The point I bring out above is what is making this so incredibly frustrating. The fact that other players can still kill me in 1 blow makes me realize it almost doesn't matter what armor im wearing at all.

Mike M

Nick N
So I had been playing through the game mostly spending my souls to level up my gear and planning to put points into stats later. I *had* been planning on making a strength build, but now I've put some time in with a fully upgraded Lightning Spear and Queelag's Fury, I'm pivoting towards dexterity (Already plunked down enough soul levels to wield the Silver Knight spear, love that thing).

Couple questions though...

1.) At what levels do strength and dexterity scaling start to flatten out?
2.) I'm currently using the ring of Favor and Protection, does it produce a bonus to health and stamina on top of the maximum? I.e. if I max my stamina bar out at 40, does it actually still give 20% on top of that?

Sullichin

Just beat Gwyn at level 15. Fuck yes. That took me several tries, I was parrying/riposting as usual but I had very little room for error which I wasn't used to. Tried a few setups. Mask of Mother + Havels, silver knight shield + 5, fire uchigatana + 9 with hornet & fap ring did the trick. Only 4 or 5 ripostes, but a very intense fight nonetheless.

Also, I want to thank Sullichin for giving me the Greatsword of Artorias :)
You're awesome!
BTW...
I'm worried about my PS3.
Yesterday, my game just started freezing randomly. Not in blight town or whatever, just randomly as I'm walking somewhere. every time this happens I'm like "There goes my PS3 and my save!"
I know this game has a lot of frame rate issues, but this never happened to me before.

Did this ever happen to someone?

I haven't played any other game since yesterday, so I don't know if this issue has to do with my PS3 or the game.

I think I'll backup my saves.. just in case

No problem. Got invaded several times trying to set that up, it was fun. I haven't had my game freeze like you've described.

Couple questions though...

1.) At what levels do strength and dexterity scaling start to flatten out?
2.) I'm currently using the ring of Favor and Protection, does it produce a bonus to health and stamina on top of the maximum? I.e. if I max my stamina bar out at 40, does it actually still give 20% on top of that?

Scaling gets worse after 40 and yes, you get an additional stamina bonus still, 192 stamina over 160 at 40 END.

Im at level 58 have a Bastard Sword that is +5 but for the life of me I cant wind a single fight against other players.
I have Stone armor head to toe thinking this will somehow make me a tough opponent but alas, every game I invade or am summoned to i get destroyed! Like 2 hits and I'm dead.

What are your stats? How much VIT do you have? A bastard sword +5 isn't very strong, you will do much more damage if you bring it to +14 (+15 if you want to use a slab) or make it lightning/fire/chaos.

Soulhouf

Ok, tonight a crazy SL15 Japanese player summoned my SL15 character to fight 4 Kings in NG+11.
This boss is a nightmare at that level. I can't believe how did he manage to go so far...

Besides that what's up with Japanese players in Dark Souls? In 4K fight 90% of the time when I get summoned low level, it's by a Japanese player and almost all the time they are at beyond NG+3.

Wowbagger

I started this game with the intention of making a Tank player. So having focused exclusively on strength and endurance till this level I am able to comfortably wear some pretty bad ass armor and have a decent weapon. The point I bring out above is what is making this so incredibly frustrating. The fact that other players can still kill me in 1 blow makes me realize it almost doesn't matter what armor im wearing at all.

As a tank, you need to focus on vitality and endurance, not strength. And at your level, you should use a +10 or better weapon for invasions. Most of the players you're invading will have maxed out gear.

If you want to focus on weapons that scale with strength, note that there is no point bumping that stat beyond 27 if you're going to two-hand them in PVP. And you should do this to increase the odds of stunlocking your opponent. The Bastard Sword scales with dexterity as well. A better greatsword for a pure strength build is the Man-Serpent Greatsword.

Booshka

VIT 14
END 34
STG 36
DEX 19
FAITH 11

I'd put one point into Faith so you can use the Heal miracle, then just level Vitality until you get to 30. Stop leveling Strength and Dexterity. Endurance can go to 40 if you want to. When you get more Vitality you will be better fit to deal with invaders and the game in general. Also, Stone Armor isn't that good, upgrade some medium armor and it will be better than Stone. In general work on upgrading gear and experimenting with weapons, gear is a lot more important than level stats in this game, so focus on it more.

The Chef

Thanks a lot everyone! Dear god I so needed the advice.
That Great Axe is amazing @_@. Too bad I already killed the Knight in the Catacombs. :(

I think Im going to switch to using the Washing Pole instead of the Bastard Sword.

Booshka

Thanks a lot everyone! Dear god I so needed the advice.
That Great Axe is amazing @_@. Too bad I already killed the Knight in the Catacombs. :(

I think Im going to switch to using the Washing Pole instead of the Bastard Sword.

I suggest taking it elemental, Washing Pole has pretty terrible scaling stats, so if you make it Lightning, Fire or Chaos (if you can run around with 8-10 humanity comfortably) it will do more damage.

Only exception is if you plan on buffing it with a Sorcery or Miracle Buff, in that case take it to +15.

Sullichin

I suggest taking it elemental, Washing Pole has pretty terrible scaling stats, so if you make it Lightning, Fire or Chaos (if you can run around with 8-10 humanity comfortably) it will do more damage.

Only exception is if you plan on buffing it with a Sorcery or Miracle Buff, in that case take it to +15.

Booshka I copied you and grabbed the very large ember to use the large club in my sunlight blade build. Already won 2 fights with dat slam. I think I'll take slightly less - but still very high - damage (at least I assume, it's only at +12) from the DGM, which I love, in exchange for being able to wear better armor.

sixghost

The best tips I got in regards to playing playing Dark Souls as a melee character:

Don't lock on by default, this isn't Zelda

Roll through attacks. Even when it looks like it shouldn't work, it often does.

Even going 95% melee, you should still carry a viable longer distance weapon to pull. I just carry cheap wood arrows most of the time.

Weird, I always lock on. I've never had a problem switching targets or anything.

I really hope that FROM adds some depth to the blocking mechanic in future games. I think it would be cool if they added some sort of safe parry-like system with a shield that you need to perform to knock the enemy off balance. It's kind of simple as is, when you can just block everything from normal sized enemies then automatically be able to counter attack before they recover.

Is there any sort of reset trick to get the Black Knight weapons? It kind of sucks that you only have a few shots in the entire game before the Kiln to get certain weapons.

Booshka

Booshka I copied you and grabbed the very large ember to use the large club in my sunlight blade build. Already won 2 fights with dat slam. I think I'll take slightly less - but still very high - damage (at least I assume, it's only at +12) from the DGM, which I love, in exchange for being able to wear better armor.

The Great Club at +15 does the same or even a little more damage than the DGM +15 and it weighs 6.0 less. If all you do is roll slam and backstab, it is amazing. The 1H R2 of the Large Club is a very hard to read lunge sweep that catches a lot of people off guard, outside of that though, the Great Club is better.

The Chef

What does it mean when you say it has terrible scaling stats?

sixghost

Each weapon has letter grades of how well they scale with either Faith, Dex, Str, or Int. Certain weapons scale better than others, which makes them better weapons to take down the Normal+15 route, or some of the other routes that don't remove scaling.

Elemental paths like Fire, Chaos(scales with humanity up to 10 actually), and Lightning remove the scaling completely, which is a better option when weapons have shitty scaling like C/D.

Booshka

Weapons scale with either Strength or Dexterity,Intelligence, Faith or a mixture of all of them. They have grades from E to S that give you more damage the higher your dex or str are. Most good scaling weapons have A scaling when fully upgraded, a few have a S, and a lot have B. If a weapon has less than B scaling fully upgraded, then it is usually best taken elemental. When you upgrade a weapon to elemental you lose all stat scaling. Look for the grades on the weapon in the item menu (ParamBonus), toggle the display. A hand icon is Dex, and a Bicep is for Str. Next to the damage you should see a + then a number, that is the bonus the scat scaling is adding.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Hahaha, so I just saw the "good" ending for the first time, on account of my wife finishing the game with her mage at lvl101...

We were both a bit taken aback, and sat in silence for a moment, before she finally exclaimed "... she could have just lit the fire."

Hahahaha. Never change, Dark Souls.

Soulhouf

For some reason my Washing Pole+15 was stronger than Lightning+5 on my previous character (50 str, 50 dex) and even stronger than Ushigatana+15. Especially if you buff it with Darkmoon Blade you have something like 900 output damage. I didn't find yet a better weapon for PvP and it was an infinite satisfaction to me to 1/2 shot those Giant set/Pinwheel masks tanks.
But yes, if you don't increase both str and dex, it's better to go elemental.

The Chef

For some reason my Washing Pole+15 was stronger than Lightning+5 on my previous character (50 str, 50 dex) and even stronger than Ushigatana+15. Especially if you buff it with Darkmoon Blade you have something like 900 output damage. I didn't find yet a better weapon for PvP and it was an infinite satisfaction to me to 1/2 shot those Giant set/Pinwheel masks tanks.
But yes, if you don't increase both str and dex, it's better to go elemental.

I just made my Washing Pole +5 fire. Can you go higher than that in Elemental? Or is the +15 only for Raw?

On a side note. How come nobody +1 any of my desperate messages? I have laid down a dozen, truly helpful, messages and no one gives a crap. "Hidden Path Ahead" "Be Wary of Trap" ...nothing.
So i resorted to desperate "Need Humanity" but still no one gives a rats ass. Whenever I see anything that is even slightly helpful, including "need humanity" signs I ALWAYS +1 the message. Am I in the minority here?

Evolved1

I just made my Washing Pole +5 fire. Can you go higher than that in Elemental? Or is the +15 only for Raw?

On a side note. How come nobody +1 any of my desperate messages? I have laid down a dozen, truly helpful, messages and no one gives a crap. "Hidden Path Ahead" "Be Wary of Trap" ...nothing.
So i resorted to desperate "Need Humanity" but still no one gives a rats ass. Whenever I see anything that is even slightly helpful, including "need humanity" signs I ALWAYS +1 the message. Am I in the minority here?

I always up vote good messages... and try to leave helpful hints as well. Really good hints too.

But I have no idea what it does. lol.

I assumed if someone upvoted one of my messages, that I would get an extra estus flask, like when someone kindles a firepit. But I don't really know.

edit: also... the "need humanity" message I've always interpreted as someone trying to point out a farming spot. I.e. get your item discover up, and try farming here. I see it a lot of places that are known for farming... like around the rats in the depths, or in slimeball hall.

The Chef

I always up vote good messages... and try to leave helpful hints as well. Really good hints too.

But I have no idea what it does. lol.

I assumed if someone upvoted one of my messages, that I would get an extra estus flask, like when someone kindles a firepit. But I don't really know.

I believe if someone +1's it you get 1 humanity. But I could be wrong.

Sullichin

Fire weapons can go up to +10. And fyi, "raw" is different than "normal" upgrade path. Check this out: http://darksoulswiki.wikispaces.com/Upgrades
For +10 fire, you need the large flame ember, and then you use red titanite chunks and finally a titante slab to get it to +10. Big difference in damage from a +5 to a +9 or +10 fire weapon.

You're supposed to get one active humanity if someone rates your messages. Unfortunately message rating is not at all prevalent in this game. Probably because you have to buy the orange soap stone and you didn't used to be able to use select to rate messages.
In Demon's Souls, you get health if someone recommends your message, and one time it worked out so perfectly, I got health right in the middle of a boss fight when I really needed it.

Evolved1

Oh man... I might need to summon help for these anor londo archers... I've never had an issue with them before, but right now, after losing a ton of souls and humanity, and with this particular build, I have no answer for them.

sigh.

I only need like 400000 more souls and I have gotten all the weapons I need for the trophy in the future.

I also have like 25 black knight swords etc.

Booshka

Oh man... I might need to summon help for these anor londo archers... I've never had an issue with them before, but right now, after losing a ton of souls and humanity, and with this particular build, I have no answer for them.

sigh.

Whatever build you are you can always parry and riposte, just go lightweight, book it up there, roll through the arrows and parry ripsote the one on the right with your best weapon.

If you are on 360 I can help, I have a level 61 character and some 100+ characters if you need help.

Sullichin

The Great Club at +15 does the same or even a little more damage than the DGM +15 and it weighs 6.0 less. If all you do is roll slam and backstab, it is amazing. The 1H R2 of the Large Club is a very hard to read lunge sweep that catches a lot of people off guard, outside of that though, the Great Club is better.

I like the large club more because of that 1HR2. It's nice to have an R2 attack that isn't totally useless. Also, the 2HR2 is actually kind of useful. People will probably try to get close and circle around you while you wind up, but you can trick them and change direction when you swing.

sigh.
No matter my build I ignore the one on the left, roll through an arrow on the right side, and kill/knock the knight off the ledge.

Evolved1

I got hit off the ledge by the arrow as I rolled toward him. I guess I timed it wrong... but the experience made me think I couldn't roll through arrows. So I tried a few other strategies to no avail.

I'll try again in a bit...

Booshka

I got hit off the ledge by the arrow as I rolled toward him. I guess I timed it wrong... but the experience made me think I couldn't roll through arrows. So I tried a few other strategies to no avail.

I'll try again in a bit...

You can roll through it, it's easiest if you are doing fast rolls, but you can do it.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
I believe if someone +1's it you get 1 humanity. But I could be wrong.
I think if someone +1s your message, you get an extra Estus.
This also definitely happens if someone kindles your nearest bonfire.

The message/rating system is fine, apart from negative ratings, which are just useless. If you -1 a stupid/deceptive message, it still adds one to the overall "rating", meaning it could be even more deceptive to people without the 'Seek Help' miracle (which differentiates between + and - ratings).

Mike M

Nick N
Did the Painted World today. Got invaded once (By a real person, not the scripted NPC invasion), but actually managed beat him for my first straight-up PvP victory ever. Sure, I was along for the ride on three kills in the Forest Hunters, but that was different. Guy dropped only about 360 souls though, LOL. He was the only one though, despite my being human pretty much the whole time.

Interesting level though, I really appreciate that once you're done worming your way through the fortress, there's an arrow-straight shot from the bonfire to Priscilla that you've unlocked. Kinda regret killing her, it's not like I wanted the dagger or need her soul to make something I want. She never did anything to me : (

From there, made a bee-line to Sif (Which is where I was going anyway before getting sidetracked by the whole painting thing). He was really... Underwhelming. Don't think he ever even hit my shield, let alone actually do any actual damage. He was just so big and ponderously slow in his attacks, I thought he'd be faster for some reason.

Used his soul to forge the cursed greatsword. I know the other version is better overall, but I have plenty of good swords to pick from, but I'm planning on tackling New Londo next and didn't want to bother dealing with being cursed/using transient curses.

whooo! I finally saw me some black phantom enemies :D so there was no message or anything, i'd taken a break to go get some dinner and when i came back and started the game again first thing i notice is some red glowing skeleton in the catacombs. they weren't much harder to kill than the regular kind (on ng+ too) but it was very satisfying to see them after 250+ hours of play. found the gravelord sign and he beat me down twice until i decided to change into some more pvp-oriented gear (moonlight sword, boosted poise with wolf ring) and won handily. that moonlight sword 2h heavy is so much fun to catch people with.

might start a bit of gravelording myself but all i've got left in this cycle is ToG, LI and Kiln, so maybe i'll wait till ng++.

Guevara

FYI the most active co-op action I've been able to find is for Nito. Drop your sign right infront of the entrance to the cave (where Paladin Leeroy invades). Farm for humanity while you wait.

I got four quick runs in about an hour and a half at SL 82. Three successful (one guy died almost immediately to Nito's grab attack, lol). Seems like a lot of people have trouble because they fail to use a divine weapon on the skeletons.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom