• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT4| Victory achieved for Scamco, text defeated

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hit a bit of a wall in Anor Londo with the two giant knights at the top of the stairs - I did run past them, most of the time they didn't follow me, but the flying monkey/demons gave me a lot of trouble - so I decided to go back to Sen's fortress just for fun. I had 8 humanity and wore the ring that increases item drops, so the knights around there would drop Titanite shards almost every time, so I stuck around there to do a little farming.

Went back to Blighttown, did a little farming there with the slugs, same deal - got loads of drops, one-hit killing them. Did try to go for Cealess Discharge, but will come back to him, had to use a homeward bone to retrieve that humanity.

So now I have a 5+ on both Lightning Spear and Eagle Sheild, and still lots of Titanite shards left. Didn't get invaded at all though which was a shame.

Q: How do I reach the item in Sen's Fortress that is above you right near the start of the first swinging axe bridge? I've unlocked the cell door, smashed through a couple of walls with the boulders - but nowhere that took me out back to that item. I'm guessing it might be one of those corridors that end in (what looks like) a dead drop?

Also, the bottom of Sen's Fortress where there are those two Titanite Demons - is the only way to get down there to drop down?

Booshka

I created a Level 10 Gwyn Character that I'm using to help people with the early bosses. It's fun to play as a low level Gwyn, with his OP sword. A lot of people have no idea that I'm playing as
the final boss.

3. Dodge Capra's first blow, this is the most difficult part for new players

This was what got me, but it's random. Seems like if he does his jumping attack, you're pretty fucked. The time I beat him, he just ran up to me and did a regular slash, allowing me to get behind him and kill the dogs. Then it's just a game of patience.

Bit more progress:

Darkroot Garden: lol, went into the forest for the first time, got invaded, guy spawned behind me, backstab, normal attack, I'm dead. lol
Area was piss easy after that. My Lightning Spear+5 decimated everything. Summoned the witch and completely wrecked the Moonlight Butterfly. Easier than Capra. Short area overall, though I'd be back. Didn't have the Crest yet to open the gate.

Darkroot Basin: Went to the lake first and killed the hydra. Fell into the water and died twice lol. It wasn't clear without really looking where the killzone was. Hydra heads went down to one heavy attack each. Easy. Those giant cats - not easy. Took some heavy baiting to kill them. Went into Darkroot Garden through the backdoor and joined the Forest Hunters for a free trophy.

Checked the wiki, got the Crest, and fought Sif. Easier than Capra and easier than I expected. Didn't summon for this one but I didn't need to. Basic block->heavy attack->repeat strat worked the whole way through.

Valley of Drakes: Didn't do a whole lot here. I went left I believe, killing te zombie dragon and heading back to Firelink. Had some unfinished business. Saw Oswald and left my covenant.

The Great Hollow: This area was ok. My spear one shotted the curse guys, and the stunlocked->killed the small mushrooms. The big mushroom guys killed me once, then I figured out to just bait their attack, attack back while they recover, and repeat. Not a big deal.

Ash Lake: Very unsettling area. The Black Hydra caught me off guard but I eventually got him. Each head took something like 3-4 heavy attacks, but I didn't have to cut off every head to finish him. Saw the dragon, cut off his tail, and joined his covenant. Free trophy.

Blighttown Detour: Whoever wrote on the wiki that you can get the swamp pyromancy trainer (the girl) to appear by discovering the chaos servants is full of shit. I absolutely had to upgrade my flame to +10. Then I spent like 20 minutes popping/giving humanity to gain 2 ranks in the chaos servants for the chaos storm miracle. That was a pain. Would a "give X humanity" window be so hard?

Anyway, upgrading my flame drained me of souls so I couldn't afford to buy anything. Guess I'll head back after I take out the next boss (prolly Four Kings).

New Londo Ruins tonight I guess. Tips?

Character stats:
Vit-28
Att-14
End-32
Str-16
Dex-14
Int/Res-base
Fai-12

I'm thinking Vit and End are pretty much done for this playthrough.

Mike M

Nick N
Q: How do I reach the item in Sen's Fortress that is above you right near the start of the first swinging axe bridge? I've unlocked the cell door, smashed through a couple of walls with the boulders - but nowhere that took me out back to that item. I'm guessing it might be one of those corridors that end in (what looks like) a dead drop?

Also, the bottom of Sen's Fortress where there are those two Titanite Demons - is the only way to get down there to drop down?
There are four demons down there, actually. There's a platform with three snake mages down below the end of the first bridge. You take a little damage to drop down there, then drop again to the tar floor with the titanite demons.

You get the item you're talking about by dropping down there and making your way back to the front end of the pit, there's a ladder that leads to the pilagable corpse and an illusionary wall.

ijed

Yeah the *best* weapons are. But if you co-op in the burg or the depths or blighttown, almost every host will have the drake sword, and it's because it's stronger than anything else you can get at that point. Then people tend to replace that with the lightning spear. I think we'd see more new players experiment with different types of weapons if these two weapons weren't in the mix and upgrading was a little easier, is all. it would be nice if the game actually pushed the concept of upgrading weapons somehow.
But it's not like the Drake sword is just sitting there for you to pick up ... you'd either have read the wiki (in which case you are already borked) or thought "maybe it's like Demon's Souls..." in which case it's an easter egg.

+ If you've reached depths then you'll have access to +10 weapons or be able to +5 a magic weapon - both of which would be more powerful than Drake sword - I've only seen a couple of people actually using drake sword in my 250+ hrs of playing

There are four demons down there, actually. There's a platform with three snake mages down below the end of the first bridge. You take a little damage to drop down there, then drop again to the tar floor with the titanite demons.

You get the item you're talking about by dropping down there and making your way back to the front end of the pit, there's a ladder that leads to the pilagable corpse and an illusionary wall.
Ah, I see thanks. Makes sense if the only way to get down is to drop, there has to be a way back up!

4 Demons though, scary!

Sullichin

But it's not like the Drake sword is just sitting there for you to pick up ... you'd either have read the wiki (in which case you are already borked) or thought "maybe it's like Demon's Souls..." in which case it's an easter egg.

+ If you've reached depths then you'll have access to +10 weapons or be able to +5 a magic weapon - both of which would be more powerful than Drake sword - I've only seen a couple of people actually using drake sword in my 250+ hrs of playing

yeah i know they can have +10/+5 magic by then, but in my experience, it's just not the case. The most common host I see for Quelaag is drake sword + crimson set + eagle shield. of course there's nothing wrong with that setup, but regardless of how they found out about the drake sword in the first place, if it didn't exist/wasnt as strong I think there would be a greater variety of weapons being used at lower levels. Of course there's nothing preventing you from using whatever setup you want, I'm just making an observation that i've seen a lot of players using drake sword (and lightning spear).

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
Speaking of the Drake Sword, a few weeks ago there was a guy co-oping O&S using it and nothing else. No armor, no shield, just a naked dude with the universal symbol of the new player. And he was absolutely tearing shit up. I got summoned into the same game as him three times and not once did I see him get hit.

The third time we were in the same game I decided to show some solidarity and stripped down to my underoos and equipped the Dragon King Greataxe. I'd have used the Drake Sword myself, but I'd skipped getting it on that character.

Host probably thought we were nuts. Saw him safely through an invasion and the boss fight, though.

Mike M

Nick N
Ah, I see thanks. Makes sense if the only way to get down is to drop, there has to be a way back up!

4 Demons though, scary!

Only the third one is any real challenge (Provided you're wearing the rusted iron ring. Do not even attempt without it.), since you have a hard time picking him off without getting the attention of #4, who will start shooting lightning at you. It's a patience and waiting game with that one, the others you just run up to and hang out on their left side where they can't really hit you effectively.

joe2187

Banned
Was getting my ass handed to me during invasions and randomly during one of my invasions dude drops 5 Titanite and 5 Red Titanite slabs.

YOOOOOOOOOOOO

krakov

Finally saw a red phantom enemy today while darkwraithing. It was the giant guard outside Anor Londo. Unfortunately he died before the host approached him.

ijed

Was getting my ass handed to me during invasions and randomly during one of my invasions dude drops 5 Titanite and 5 Red Titanite slabs.

YOOOOOOOOOOOO

Nice - My lvl 12 BB killer was given 10 titanite slabs, FAP ring, +10 Knights Armour and gloves, 30 humanity, +5 chaos spear and +5 furysword by some lovely dude then sent on his way :D

Just went and got Chaos Ember and made a Chaos Great Scythe +1 for him which just out paces the Chaos Spear +5, the standing R2 attack is pretty deadly - will be a while before I get some more red chunks for it though :(

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
So I'm really enjoying NG+ so far, kind of kicking ass; here's what I want to do.

Took me a long time to get dual jagged ghost blades, which is my main loadout (shields are for weaker beings). I want to upgrade to dual ghost blades. So my questions are...

1) What's the soonest I can go to New Londo?
2) How can I get Ghost Blades as quickly as possible? I guess the item drop ring is a good start?

So I'm really enjoying NG+ so far, kind of kicking ass; here's what I want to do.

Took me a long time to get dual jagged ghost blades, which is my main loadout (shields are for weaker beings). I want to upgrade to dual ghost blades. So my questions are...

2) How can I get Ghost Blades as quickly as possible? I guess the item drop ring is a good start?

Master Key Undead Burg-darkroot basin-valley of drakes-new londo?

Booshka

You can do New Londo Ruins immediately if you want, if you are farming for ghost blades, you don't even need to
drain it. If you have the master key you can go down to New Londo Ruins, get to the back entrance of Blighttown via the Valley of Drakes. Beat Quelagg, ring the bell and make your way back up to Valley of Drakes. Now run down the Valley of Drakes to the Forest cave and get to the Parish that way. Bonfire above the blacksmith and go beat the Gargoyles, and ring that bell to open Sen's. Grab the Item drop ring, then homeward bone back to Undead parish, take the elevator shortcut to Firelink, then down to New Londo Ruins, farm all you need..

You can run to the New Londo Ruins as soon as you come to Firelink... I don't 100% remember where the Wailing Ghosts are but I think they were on the bottom? I'd say fastest way would be from Firelink to the upper ruins -> jump down -> kill the ghosts -> homeward bone. One run takes about couple of minutes. Get 11 active humatiny and the item drop ring to maximize results.

Some say that it would be faster to run from Darkroot -> Valley of Drakes -> NLR but I don't think it's that much faster as the running distance seems to be longer and you still have to wait for the elevator. If the falling immunity spell (forgot the name) saves you from that drop without waiting for the elevator I guess that could be fast too. Plus you don't have to drain it this way but draining only takes a minute anyway.

Daigoro

Nice - My lvl 12 BB killer was given 10 titanite slabs, FAP ring, +10 Knights Armour and gloves, 30 humanity, +5 chaos spear and +5 furysword by some lovely dude then sent on his way :D

Just went and got Chaos Ember and made a Chaos Great Scythe +1 for him which just out paces the Chaos Spear +5, the standing R2 attack is pretty deadly - will be a while before I get some more red chunks for it though :(

yeah. im glad i didnt run into any of this shit on my first run through the game (not that you did, just saying). it would have totally ruined the experience for me.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
I hit a bit of a wall in Anor Londo with the two giant knights at the top of the stairs - I did run past them, most of the time they didn't follow me, but the flying monkey/demons gave me a lot of trouble - so I decided to go back to Sen's fortress just for fun. I had 8 humanity and wore the ring that increases item drops, so the knights around there would drop Titanite shards almost every time, so I stuck around there to do a little farming.

Went back to Blighttown, did a little farming there with the slugs, same deal - got loads of drops, one-hit killing them. Did try to go for Cealess Discharge, but will come back to him, had to use a homeward bone to retrieve that humanity.

So now I have a 5+ on both Lightning Spear and Eagle Sheild, and still lots of Titanite shards left. Didn't get invaded at all though which was a shame.

Did you get the large ember? You could easily have those at +10...

Trying to get Large Titanium shards on the depths with 12 Humanity and no drops after several tries, the worst is I got a few drops before with much less humanity. WTF!

Soulhouf

Trying to get Large Titanium shards on the depths with 12 Humanity and no drops after several tries, the worst is I got a few drops before with much less humanity. WTF!

It's sometimes faster to get those by invading as a forest covenant. Post patch you even get chunks after a successful invasion.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything

Sometimes you will kill them over and over and get nothing... and frustrated... and then you will get 3 in a single run.

This is my advice... if you want large titanite... just work the slimer hall area adjacent to the bonfire. Don't go down to kill the rats or anything. It might take 30-40 mins, but you'll get your main weapons to +10 easily enough.

Unfortunately, you get a crap load of green titanite as well...

Some people hating farming/grinding, and the depths is pretty boring in that spot, but they drop relatively frequently. Use pyromancy, or firebombs. The souls you get from farming will easily pay for the firebombs.

Dyno

OKAY THEN. Got to the second half of Anor Londo and I see what everyone is saying about those archer knights.

I have an Eagle Shield +5 but their arrows still move me off the ledge. I also have the Black Iron Shield and a 33 Strength. I need 1 more point of Strength to weild the BIS with one hand. Do you think that shield would make any difference?

Tried it as a human looking for jolly cooperation. I even put down my sign in hopes of helping someone else through this tough spot. No takers, though I did get invaded 4 times.

The next time I try I think I'm going to have to do some ledge-rolling to avoid the arrows.

Mike M

Nick N
OKAY THEN. Got to the second half of Anor Londo and I see what everyone is saying about those archer knights.

I have an Eagle Shield +5 but their arrows still move me off the ledge. I also have the Black Iron Shield and a 33 Strength. I need 1 more point of Strength to weild the BIS with one hand. Do you think that shield would make any difference?

Tried it as a human looking for jolly cooperation. I even put down my sign in hopes of helping someone else through this tough spot. No takers, though I did get invaded 4 times.

The next time I try I think I'm going to have to do some ledge-rolling to avoid the arrows.

You can poison at least the one on the left with poison arrows (I couldn't find a place to hit the one on my right with arrows without getting a dragonslayer arrow to the face first), so that takes care of half your problem.

Once you get up there, it really is a matter of having to roll instead of blocking. Though I got lucky and somehow timed it so I got up the remainder of the buttress and into his face between arrows. Once you get close enough, he pulls out his sword and probably falls to his death trying to get at you. Then you can get to the bonfire, eventually open the front gates and NEVER DO THIS AGAIN.

Canova

Banned
hot damn, that's a record as far as I'm concerned

I love how active this thread is.

that's a second time I lost that much.

I've been collecting humanities so I have spares. I sitll have 75 unused humanities. At my bottomless box, I have 99 humanities, 65 twin humanities, and 10 soulkeepers souls which worths 5 humanities each

Demon's Souls thread was active for over 2 years

Sullichin

I think my most embarrassing loss was 8m souls, something like 70-80 humanity...because I fell asleep while running across the bridge in Dark Anor Londo. Also lost millions in the freaking undead burg because I wasn't paying attention. Don't really care about the souls, losing that much humanity is really annoying though.

PolishQ

I finally started this game the other day. Just killed the Taurus Demon last night. Took something like 6 attempts but it sure felt good when it was done. I'm playing as a wanderer. Anyone want to give me some general beginners advice? When will I see my first blacksmith?

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Last night I had a 3v1 in dark londo and most of the enemies were dead, so I ran all the way to the silver knight archers who were thankfully still alive. One was shot off by one of the archers (while he was trying to kill me with his own dragonslayer bow), the other ran to me, killed the SK archer, but then with three kicks I managed to boot him off to his death, then the host ran away and disconnected “ヽ(´▽`)ノ”

sansviedotcom, the master kicker.

It's odd I haven't played in a few weeks but it seems like the skill level somehow dropped. I've been doing well enough considering I've been invading with a character with a poor armour setup, no buffs or spells or miracles or anything, and a Balder Sword + Iron Round Shield. Gimmickless!

Iron Round is the nicest looking shield, by the way.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I finally started this game the other day. Just killed the Taurus Demon last night. Took something like 6 attempts but it sure felt good when it was done. I'm playing as a wanderer. Anyone want to give me some general beginners advice? When will I see my first blacksmith?
Take it slow, never advance around corners rapidly. The blacksmith is quite close to you in terms of pure distance. Did you kick the ladder down yet?

joelseph

There is one just a little ways down from Firelink that would be a short run for you. After the demon run up to the mid point of the bridge with the dragon on it and down the stairs to find a ladder shortcut back to the burg.

M.D

That Gaping Dragon intro cutscene was so awesome. It's an alligator? Oh wait no it's not. Ohgod oh jeez oh shit.

.... And then you find out it's possibly the easiest boss fight in the game lol

Is anyone interested in doing CO-OP? I'm SL 136, still have Cata, TOG, Ash Lake and Great Hollow to do

Will be glad to help other people as well!
If you're interested PM your PSN ID

Jarlaxle

Just started this last week. I decided to go for a sorcerer build. The last thing I did was beat the Capra Demon. I'm enjoying it so far but the game does get kind of unsettling. If only there was some music at some times instead of just silence. I think I'll have to try and do some co-op to ease my nerves. I've only become human once and died right away so that kind of soured me on that.

I find that I can only play it for an hour or two at a time but then when I'm away from it, all I do is read about it and think about it.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
This is why i love this game!!!

I was so pissed last nite....Ornstein and Smough had been destroying me left and right so i thought i would try to go human and then wait by the entrance of the boss fight and summon someone to help me. Each time i tried, (only twice since i only had 2 humanities) some prick would invade me and kill me before i could summon someone. I got pissed and went at them alone again, this time focusing on the fat one first with my lightning spear and stayed close the whole time and moving so he would block the skinny one from charging at me. I took him out and then switched to Drake Sword +4 for the powered up skinny one. He moved slower so i stayed close and wailed on him two handed with my drake sword. Took him out, and literally yelled "F YOU" at the screen..hahahaha

All i had to do was change up my tactics, and they were easy to beat solo. This game rocks!!

2AdEPT

4 Demons though, scary!

I enjoy dropping right on top of the nearest demon at the bottom with weapon extended....takes off a good chunk of damage...you can run/roll back up to the ladder.....rinse repeat. WIth him out of the way there is more breathing room....but you will sustain damge from the fall so heal up each time. The snakes on the opposite ledge will have to be range killed with this method, but for me, its easier ot deal with one prowling demon than three retard snakes at once....doable each way...just saying there are options....as there always are with this game.

2AdEPT

This is why i love this game!!!

I was so pissed last nite....Ornstein and Smough had been destroying me left and right so i thought i would try to go human and then wait by the entrance of the boss fight and summon someone to help me. Each time i tried, (only twice since i only had 2 humanities) some prick would invade me and kill me before i could summon someone. I got pissed and went at them alone again, this time focusing on the fat one first with my lightning spear and stayed close the whole time and moving so he would block the skinny one from charging at me. I took him out and then switched to Drake Sword +4 for the powered up skinny one. He moved slower so i stayed close and wailed on him two handed with my drake sword. Took him out, and literally yelled "F YOU" at the screen..hahahaha

All i had to do was change up my tactics, and they were easy to beat solo. This game rocks!!

GReat work....getting this done with Drake sword is extremely commendable, particularly as skinny (Orn) armour is yours and most consider the opposite order the easier go if doing it solo....

RaginRoss

Hi guys,

First time through the game - Just made it to Anor Londo. I've not really had too much trouble so far, but just wanted to see if you guys had any recommendations before I go further?

My character is SL42 with the following stats;

Vitality: 18
Attunement: 14
Endurance: 22
Strength: 18
Dexterity: 18
Resistance: 10
Intelligence: 12
Faith: 11

I've currently got the following equipped;

Right Hand - Shortsword +8 / Pyromancy Flame +6 or a Longbow +3
Left Hand - Spider Shield +1

Elite Knight Helm +2
Chain Armor +2
Black Leather Gloves
Crimson Waistcloth

Havel's Ring
Ring of the Evil Eye (swap this for the Rusted Iron Ring depending on terrain)

I've rang both bells and finished Sen's Fortress, The Depths, Blighttown, Darkroot Garden/Basin, went back to the Undead Asylum and I think i've killed all the bosses available at the moment(except Sif, I think i'll go kill him next)

I spend most of my time Hollowed and haven't really been using the online features very much so far, the only boss i've needed help with was the Gargoyles, and Solaire distracting one of them was enough.

I'm guessing the game is about to get harder at this point though, so before I venture further into Anor Londo I just wanted you guys opinion on if i'm really underpowered for this point in the game. I really like having the light armor as moving quickly has been key to my playstyle so far.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Hi guys,

First time through the game - Just made it to Anor Londo. I've not really had too much trouble so far, but just wanted to see if you guys had any recommendations before I go further?

My character is SL42 with the following stats;

Vitality: 18
Attunement: 14
Endurance: 22
Strength: 18
Dexterity: 18
Resistance: 10
Intelligence: 12
Faith: 11

I've currently got the following equipped;

Right Hand - Shortsword +8 / Pyromancy Flame +6 or a Longbow +3
Left Hand - Spider Shield +1

Elite Knight Helm +2
Chain Armor +2
Black Leather Gloves
Crimson Waistcloth

Havel's Ring
Ring of the Evil Eye (swap this for the Rusted Iron Ring depending on terrain)

I've rang both bells and finished Sen's Fortress, The Depths, Blighttown, Darkroot Garden/Basin, went back to the Undead Asylum and I think i've killed all the bosses available at the moment(except Sif, I think i'll go kill him next)

I spend most of my time Hollowed and haven't really been using the online features very much so far, the only boss i've needed help with was the Gargoyles, and Solaire distracting one of them was enough.

I'm guessing the game is about to get harder at this point though, so before I venture further into Anor Londo I just wanted you guys opinion on if i'm really underpowered for this point in the game. I really like having the light armor as moving quickly has been key to my playstyle so far.

The hardest bosses yet in the game (for me at least) are at the end of Anor Londo and i just beat them last night solo. I found a lightning based weapon helped me alot with the enemies i faced here, and especially helped in the boss fight. The blacksmith that's here can make your weapons lightning or if you found that lightning spear back in Sens Fortress, you can use that one too.

joe2187

Banned
Seems like you're doing pretty well, if you havent beaten Ornstein and Smough yet you should definitely kill smough first, since you like light armour Ornsteins set becomes available from the weird looking dude living under the bridge near firelink shrine.

The giant blacksmith can upgrade any + 10 weapon into a special weapon with a Boss soul.

Dont forget to visit the painted world!

Soulhouf

If only there was some music at some times instead of just silence.

I disagree because the sound is very important when you explore. You identify enemies/invaders by the sound they make.
That's one of the big assets of this game and if they put music everywhere, it will ruin the experience.

Canova

Banned
Just started this last week. I decided to go for a sorcerer build. The last thing I did was beat the Capra Demon. I'm enjoying it so far but the game does get kind of unsettling. If only there was some music at some times instead of just silence. I think I'll have to try and do some co-op to ease my nerves. I've only become human once and died right away so that kind of soured me on that.

I find that I can only play it for an hour or two at a time but then when I'm away from it, all I do is read about it and think about it.

that's what so amazing about the game atmosphere. It puts you on edge at all times. In some parts, this game is scarier than survival horror games.

Play as human once in a while, and you'll see summon signs where you can summon people to accompany you

frequency

Going through
Tomb of the Giants in Human form without a light
(I never looked online and didn't figure it out myself) was one of the scariest moments in gaming for me. I literally had nightmares about it.

I was scared of the environment and monsters because I couldn't see. I was scared of being invaded. It felt like it took hours to get through that place, one slow step at a time.

I got past the snipers in Anor Londo, it all went quite smoothly actually. It helped watching a youtube let's play first so I knew to get the knight to fall off the ledge - like clockwork.

Also the
secret room with Havel's armour in is really evil because it's dark and you are expecting lots of enemies! I was really cautious walking around the room, securing the perimeter!

It was all going pretty well until I got invaded and they one-hit killed me before I could quit! - sorry for not being in the spirit of things, but I'd rather not deal with getting one-hit killed when I'm in an area for the first time - I was only human so I could kindle the bonfire :/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom