• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT4| Victory achieved for Scamco, text defeated

Status
Not open for further replies.

soultron

Banned
Got this today. The Sauron dude in the Undead Burg can kiss my ass. I will destroy him eventually. Really enjoying it so far. It kind of turns into a speed run game when you die; "I wonder just how efficiently I can route and traverse the environment to return to my dead body in the shortest amount of time possible."

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
tomb of the giants is the only area I felt the game got unfair, but the atmosphere is amazing when it's all dark and you hear the skeleton dogs breathing holy shit :O

not even survival horror games put me in such tense mood.

soultron

Banned
tomb of the giants is the only area I felt the game got unfair, but the atmosphere is amazing when it's all dark and you hear the skeleton dogs breathing holy shit :O

not even survival horror games put me in such tense mood.

I'm exhausted from playing for 3 hours because my heartrate was elevated nearly the entire time. Haha.

Booshka

Got this today. The Sauron dude in the Undead Burg can kiss my ass. I will destroy him eventually. Really enjoying it so far. It kind of turns into a speed run game when you die; "I wonder just how efficiently I can route and traverse the environment to return to my dead body in the shortest amount of time possible."

When you first start playing it's best to take it slow back to your bloodstain, booking it to your bloodstain is effective but risky if you are new to the game. Just stay hollow form after you die so you don't get invaded on your way to your bloodstain.

Error

man serpent (lol) greatsword is beast at least on pve, A scaling on strength too at +11 :eek: doing 440 of damage.

soultron

Banned
When you first start playing it's best to take it slow back to your bloodstain, booking it to your bloodstain is effective but risky if you are new to the game. Just stay hollow form after you die so you don't get invaded on your way to your bloodstain.

I'm playing offline right now. I'd imagine the online components are a whole new world of hurt. Haha.

Clevinger

I'm playing offline right now. I'd imagine the online components are a whole new world of hurt. Haha.

You can only get invaded while in human form, so if you stay hollowed you won't ever be bothered. And some of the online messages on the ground can be really helpful. Especially for things like secret walls.

Error

some people also have no online etiquete, they invade and not even look for a fair fight. whenever I invade I try to give a fair chance. that is not leading people into monsters mob or surprising them. I try to bow to signal the beginning of the duel, some idiots attack while bowing though.

Crystal Cave can eat a dick. Got through it with some help from a sunbro. Not sure how you cut off Seath's tail without an ally to distract him.

Duke's Archives was pretty cool though, if a bit hard to navigate. Too many archers though...

Soulhouf

My current low level NG+2 character (16 str) became a beast since I switched to Chaos Zweihander+5 + power within. I didn't lose a single PvP since.
I beat NG+2 Super Orstein in like 6 or 7 hits.

I think I found the absolute strongest weapon for my level.

On a side note if I add my different characters counter I'm over 600 hours into this game.
This is crazy but it's Dark Souls, what else can I do? Game of the generation for me and I will still play it for additional hundreds of hours and the game still not looking repetitive.
Great job From Software.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
some people also have no online etiquete, they invade and not even look for a fair fight. whenever I invade I try to give a fair chance. that is not leading people into monsters mob or surprising them. I try to bow to signal the beginning of the duel, some idiots attack while bowing though.

I got invaded by a real class act yesterday. I was afk for a minute and I came back to see him just gesturing harmlessly, he hadn't touched me. When I reclaimed my controller and was obviously back he bowed and started fighting. Was a pretty evenly matched fight but I wasn't adequately equipped and didn't want to go into my inventory. I led him out onto the ramparts with the red dragon (pretty epic feeling) and got off a couple backstabs, but I ended up casting Iron Flesh in a panic, forgetting how much I relied on my rolling, and got stunlocked by his spear against the wall.

edit: Just wanted to mention, even though I lost that battle yesterday, the feeling of successfully defeating an invader has to be one of the most, if not the absolutely most triumphant feelings in all of gaming. The satisfaction of repelling someone who is encroaching on your world, knowing that it's a human being somewhere out there just like you who actually prepared for the invasion, getting to keep your humanity and continue onward... so fucking good.

Error

I got invaded by a real class act yesterday. I was afk for a minute and I came back to see him just gesturing harmlessly, he hadn't touched me. When I reclaimed my controller and was obviously back he bowed and started fighting. Was a pretty evenly matched fight but I wasn't adequately equipped and didn't want to go into my inventory. I led him out onto the ramparts with the red dragon (pretty epic feeling) and got off a couple backstabs, but I ended up casting Iron Flesh in a panic, forgetting how much I relied on my rolling, and got stunlocked by his spear against the wall.

I also hate when people run away to heal during pvp. I understand healing if you got invaded by an asshat that played it cheap but during a clean duel? fuck off. whenever someone heals during a fight I use the most shitty tactic imaginable, luring them into a narrow place that's easy to fall off and use wrath of the gods.

I was owning some dude and he ran away to the boss chamber :lol

edit: Just wanted to mention, even though I lost that battle yesterday, the feeling of successfully defeating an invader has to be one of the most, if not the absolutely most triumphant feelings in all of gaming. The satisfaction of repelling someone who is encroaching on your world, knowing that it's a human being somewhere out there just like you who actually prepared for the invasion, getting to keep your humanity and continue onward... so fucking good.
It's even more awesome when the invader uses underhand tactics and you pull off a victory somehow.

Mike M

Nick N
Finished looting the Duke's Archives last night. Once you learn the enemy positions (AND FINALLY FIGURE OUT HOW TO BACKSTAB CONSISTENTLY), it's not too much trouble outside of that *one* channeler in his little sniper best that takes a while to get to.

I had ample opportunity to memorize the positions, because I kept dying in my repeated attempts to get that chest I saw on top of the bookshelf (Awesome item though!). I figured out what to do almost instantly when I encountered the moving stairways, I just kept choking on the timing. Then I'd need to take the time to wipe out all the enemies in the chamber (And the enemies in the opposite chamber as I worked my way up the levels) before re-attempting. It didn't actually take that many tries, it just took a while to set up.

Then I plowed through Crystal Cave until a giant Crystal Golem batted me off the bridge just as I was about to kill it. *Sigh*

Frank

It's even more awesome when the invader uses underhand tactics and you pull off a victory somehow.

It's also awesome when you're the invader and you get into a 2vs1 or a 3vs1, and you somehow survive to be the last one bowing, with just a sliver of health and your heart all thumping.

krakov

In my experience, almost everyone will chug estus when you invade them, even NG+/BB glitchers and especially if it's a 2/3 on 1. My only active invader has 500 HP so I never find it especially useful to heal. Going in with the mentality that I have only one shot makes it more exciting for me. I feel overall the invader has the advantage anyways.

joelseph

Got a question on my Thief. I have heard that I should stick to upgrading the Bandit Knife. Will it only ever be crazy damage on backstabs?

krakov

Got a question on my Thief. I have heard that I should stick to upgrading the Bandit Knife. Will it only ever be crazy damage on backstabs?

It's good for backstab/riposte and not much else. I would recommending having a secondary weapon around.

Canova

Banned

NO. dont play offline. Play online as human form. summon people and be summoned.

yeah your heart will beat 10x faster the first few times you see invasion message pops up, but that's part and the beauty of the game. Eventually you'll get used to it and even you will even invade other players world

joelseph

It's good for backstab/riposte and not much else. I would recommending having a secondary weapon around.

I am going to farm titanite at the church until I get a balder side sword. Currently using a estoc. Is there anything else early game I can be going for as a DEX build? I have used balder's before and am looking to change it up.

Man, fuck the New Londo Ruins. I'm fine up until to the part where there's a million ghosts everywhere that I can't fight because they are inside the walls and also there's a million of them.

krakov

I am going to farm titanite at the church until I get a balder side sword. Currently using a estoc. Is there anything else early game I can be going for as a DEX build? I have used balder's before and am looking to change it up.

Uchigatana and Iaito is good. Rapiers could also be an alternative. Great scythe is good, but you must take a trip down the Catacombs to get it. That is all I can think of right now. Balder side sword is a good choice though, especially if you have low STR.

Soulhouf

In my experience, almost everyone will chug estus when you invade them, even NG+/BB glitchers and especially if it's a 2/3 on 1. My only active invader has 500 HP so I never find it especially useful to heal. Going in with the mentality that I have only one shot makes it more exciting for me. I feel overall the invader has the advantage anyways.

I would not blame them if they are struggling to reach the boss. After all you're another enemy in their game who try to kill them.
In the other hand, if they are camping there to do PvP, they are assholes if they chug estus.

Booshka

I would not blame them if they are struggling to reach the boss. After all you're another enemy in their game who try to kill them.
In the other hand, if they are camping there to do PvP, they are assholes if they chug estus.

I've gotten a few people with Lloyd's Talisman's during PvP, I usually throw it after a backstab/parry. It's awesome to see them run and try to heal then they end up scratching their head right before I backstab them.

Mike M

Nick N
I have no reservations about healing while being invaded. You invaded my world to disrupt my progress and kill me, fuck you, I'm chugging a gallon of Estus at the first opportunity.

Run past them. They're not worth the trouble.

They are pretty much the only enemies I wouldn't recommend running past by. They aren't hard when you can fight them one by one but they can be devastating if they surround you. There are two places where you get ambushed and I recommend backing off/luring them out for both rooms.

Booshka

I have no reservations about healing while being invaded. You invaded my world to disrupt my progress and kill me, fuck you, I'm chugging a gallon of Estus at the first opportunity.

I don't really mind this if you are trying to progress through the level, if you are farming invaders, then I get upset. I also don't like when a host lets me fight their phantom, but chugs in the background to heal them while we fight. Once again though, if you are trying to progress through the level, do what you gotta do. Even if I lose, if I made the host burn a dozen estus on me, their chances of success through the rest of the level and boss are diminished. Moral Victory Achieved.

Mike M

Nick N
I don't really mind this if you are trying to progress through the level, if you are farming invaders, then I get upset. I also don't like when a host lets me fight their phantom, but chugs in the background to heal them while we fight. Once again though, if you are trying to progress through the level, do what you gotta do. Even if I lose, if I made the host burn a dozen estus on me, their chances of success through the rest of the level and boss are diminished. Moral Victory Achieved.

I can agree with all this

M.D

Is anyone interested in doing CO-OP? I'm SL 136, still have Cata, TOG, Ash Lake and Great Hollow to do

Will be glad to help other people as well!
If you're interested PM your PSN ID

No one? :(

I really want to co-op the rest of the game. I want a fresh experience

oracrest

The art book came in today, it's really good stuff! There are some pretty good sections on the armor and weapons sets.

And look at that little guy!

3b14b248.jpg

Booshka

Funny timing how we're posting about this. I just invaded the worst pair of players, camping my spawn, both rush me, I get off a Fire Tempest and blast the phantom for 800 damage. As I'm chasing him down to try and finish, the host chugs in the background. They proceed to rush me and end up killing me with stunlock, awesome.

Soulhouf

I've gotten a few people with Lloyd's Talisman's during PvP, I usually throw it after a backstab/parry. It's awesome to see them run and try to heal then they end up scratching their head right before I backstab them.

That must be hilarious.
I always forget about the Lloyd's Talisman so thanks for the reminder.
It's a shame that you're on X360 Booshka. I would love to challenge you in PvP.

Canova

Banned
No one? :(

I really want to co-op the rest of the game. I want a fresh experience

your SL is too high for me.

Why can't you just be human and summon whoever from the campfire?

I never fail to find summon signs as a human, no matter what my level is

Mike M

Nick N
I'm at SL 78, and I haven't seen a summon sign in quite some time. Saw one in the Catacombs but couldn't connect, never saw any in ToG or Duke's Archives, despite being human almost the whole time.

Booshka

I'm at SL 78, and I haven't seen a summon sign in quite some time. Saw one in the Catacombs but couldn't connect, never saw any in ToG or Duke's Archives, despite being human almost the whole time.

Sometimes it's best to just stand around and wait for them to show up, or you can quit and re-load to refresh. You're a little high for those areas, but you should still see signs.

Frank

I never fail to find summon signs as a human, no matter what my level is

SL136 is a bit on the high side of things.

That's not to say he won't be finding anyone, just that it might take a while. And probably it's better if he plays during the playtime hours for his geographical area. Like this there are less chances for getting 'summoning failed' if he manages to see some signs.

Sullichin

It's a shame that you're on X360 Booshka. I would love to challenge you in PvP.

I agree!

Not healing at all in PVP has definitely made me a better player. It's way more satisfying. I'd much rather lose a fight than win one having resorted to cheapness. I summon a darkwaith with red stone, and they backstab me as I'm bowing (really dude?). I don't heal, I still win, they look like an asshole.

joe2187

Banned
I love it when I play in the forest, and I bow to them while they are standing still, they bow and then expect me to come charging into them like a fucking viking.

We have a stare off as I wait for him to come to me, minutes go by, he starts egging me on, urging me to come at him, I refuse to budge.

After seven whole minutes of our standoff a sunlight phantom who was hiding behind the large boulder to my left gets fed up and charges at me with a Dragon slayer spear, does the heavy attack I roll by and backstab him to death.

7011.png

He goes down like a bitch afterwards, gets all panicky as I assault him, he does WOG, rolls and falls off a cliff.

7005.png

Also, being indicted for backstabbing a guy trying to hide as a bush is glorious.

Booshka

I love it when I play in the forest, and I bow to them while they are standing still, they bow and then expect me to come charging into them like a fucking viking.

We have a stare off as I wait for him to come to me, minutes go by, he starts egging me on, urging me to come at him, I refuse to budge.

After seven whole minutes of our standoff a sunlight phantom who was hiding behind the large boulder to my left gets fed up and charges at me with a Dragon slayer spear, does the heavy attack I roll by and backstab him to death.

7011.png

He goes down like a bitch afterwards, gets all panicky as I assault him, he does WOG, rolls and falls off a cliff.

7005.png

Also, being indicted for backstabbing a guy trying to hide as a bush is glorious.

I've had minute long battles that come down to the wire, we are both weak and trying to finish it, then a phantom or host comes out of nowhere and backstabs me. Awesome, thanks for ruining a good fight, glad you won.

Frank

Went through the last third of the game a couple of weeks back, SL80-90. ToG & Duke's were quite active at this level range, same for Demon's Ruins & New Londo Ruins. And in this context, I would define 'quite active' as seeing a sign or two, after a bit of wait.

I guess it's just the ebb and flow of the players. Some days you're lucky, some days not so much.

Mike M

Nick N
The only invading I ever did was as a Forest Hunter so I could get the Ring of Fog. It mostly didn't go well. My third kill, another phantom killed the host just as I was spawning. I got credit even though I never actually moved.

My second kill, I maybe had an assist chucking fire orbs at the host and a partner while they were fighting another phantom. Not even sure I was in range and doing damage.

My first and only "solo" kill involved the host and his sunbro partner chasing me through the woods, only they hadn't killed the gaggle of demonic foliage over by the Eastern set, and soon they were overwhelmed by a horde of man-eating trees as I hurled fireballs at them.

Felt kinda bad about it. I'm just not cut out for PvP, I'm all about the coop.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
My opinion may change at some point, but so far i hate invaders with a passion. Always happens when im trying to do something important and really is just a nuisance. For the most part i play Hollow right now for that very reason.

Once i finish the main game im going to try spending some time not Hollow and do some invading, etc....but for now i couldnt be bothered with it.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I upgraded mine to a Lightning Knife, it's pretty darn effective.

That reminds me, how many times can Lightning weapons be upgraded?

I finally got past the boars guarding the entrance to the Duke's Archives. Found a corner in the room with the bonfire and poisoned them to death from afar. Now I have a new place to explore. The aesthetics alone make this place much more tolerable than the Tomb of the Giants.

I have no idea what covenants do though lol. Anything I should be watching out for? Because all of a sudden I have half a dozen covenants to join up with, but I have no idea which I should choose or why.

I can't wait to beat this game so I can go back and do Demon's Souls with a more open mind. Is the online in that game still functioning?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom