• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT4| Victory achieved for Scamco, text defeated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Booshka

Been gravelording dukes for about two hours now with a total of one invasion.

The execution on the Gravelord covenant is really disappointing, it's a great idea, but it just doesn't work. Most of the time when I am trying to Gravelord, I never get invaded through my Gravelord invasion sign, just by Darkwraiths, so I have to use up my Eyes of Death on them. And because I can't beat the boss of the area I am trying to Gravelord, it stunts game progression and I can't just warp around the world Gravelording as I please. Also, having Eyes of Death be a consumable that you use for PvP and to upgrade the Covenant is dumb, a lot of poor design in that Covenant.

Probably a stupid question, but have they patched in "normal" co-op yet? I put the game down a few months back and would love to come back, but would rather play steadily throughout with a buddy, than have to solo/plod and use the weird jank systems.

The Chef

Wait why? It takes considerable skill for me to pull off a backstab in PVP :(

Really? If your going for it you can get it. You can instantly tell when someone is banking on winning by a backstab. It's no longer and exchange of hits but rather a elaborate ballet or sidestepping around each other hitting R1 till the inevitable backstab happens.

When I win by sheer strength and effective blocking, holy crap I feel SO hyped.
If I win by getting a 1000 point damage hit with a backstab? There is no honor, I feel so guilty.

Clevinger

Probably a stupid question, but have they patched in "normal" co-op yet? I put the game down a few months back and would love to come back, but would rather play steadily throughout with a buddy, than have to solo/plod and use the weird jank systems.

I can't imagine that will ever be patched in. Sorry.

joelseph

Now that I am getting used to the system I have found that you tend to find the same people day in and day out for co-op. I know it is not the perfect system but I think it fits nicely with the theme of the game.

krakov

The execution on the Gravelord covenant is really disappointing, it's a great idea, but it just doesn't work. Most of the time when I am trying to Gravelord, I never get invaded through my Gravelord invasion sign, just by Darkwraiths, so I have to use up my Eyes of Death on them. And because I can't beat the boss of the area I am trying to Gravelord, it stunts game progression and I can't just warp around the world Gravelording as I please. Also, having Eyes of Death be a consumable that you use for PvP and to upgrade the Covenant is dumb, a lot of poor design in that Covenant.
Yeah, it's pretty much the same things as just standing around in human form. I wish you got at least a message whenever your infection caused a death.

It's ok, I'm not going to be irritated at the game for its choices. I enjoy the atmosphere and what they made. The multiplayer isn't for me and that's ok. I would enjoy easily matchmaking with a friend though; it's the best sword and board combat out there. =(

Booshka

No there is no Normal co op, but it is perfectly possible to co op through the whole game with a friend. You just have to be around the same level, and put your sign down until they see it and can summon you. Private Chat on 360 or Skype on PS3 to talk with them, or just send text messages back and forth. I've started new characters and beaten the whole game with three different friends, it's not too hard, it just takes some patience and know how.

Booshka

god damn bridge wyvern, i wanna join the sun bro covenant!

motherfucker gets me every time with it's bullshit 1 hit kill fire attack.

Put yourself in the side "pockets" of the bridge and run into the wall until he comes down. When he does, book it to the right side of the bridge and under his tail, you should survive. You can also attack his tail this way if you want the Drake Sword.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
I finally got past the boars guarding the entrance to the Duke's Archives. Found a corner in the room with the bonfire and poisoned them to death from afar. Now I have a new place to explore. The aesthetics alone make this place much more tolerable than the Tomb of the Giants.

I have no idea what covenants do though lol. Anything I should be watching out for? Because all of a sudden I have half a dozen covenants to join up with, but I have no idea which I should choose or why.

I can't wait to beat this game so I can go back and do Demon's Souls with a more open mind. Is the online in that game still functioning?

Some covenants grant additional spells and items as you rank them up. for instance the darkmoon convenant grants you the darkmoon blade miracle and gives you the darkmoon talisman at rank 1, rank 2 it powers up the darkmoon blade miracle. etc...

there's a covenant that gives you some of the powerful pyromancy in the game.

I'm currently fooling around in Lost Izalith. Gotta remember to grab that pyromancy spell before I move on. I just finished Siegmeyer's stuff, then I fell and died in a pit. But my gear was messed up from the big mushroom things anyway, so I warped back to repair. Next time...

If I'm not mistaken, when I get to level 2 with Chaos I'll get the last spell I need for the trophy. If not, I missed some in Ariamis.

So I am these weapons sort of platinum trophy:

Moonlight Greatsword
Stone Greatsword
Silver Knight Straight Sword:
Channeler's Trident
Tin Darkmoon Catalyst - Soul of Gwyndolin
Greatsword Of Artorias (Cursed)12

I am now grinding a Silver Knight to get the sword, I can by the Stone one from Shiva of the East, Moonlight GS is a Seath taildrop and the last two is just matter of finishing the game again. Channelers Trident I thought I had, but that's gonna be a pain in the ass.

Also, PVP in Undead Burg sucks so much. So many lamers around.

Sullichin

So I am these weapons sort of platinum trophy:

Moonlight Greatsword
Stone Greatsword
Silver Knight Straight Sword:
Channeler's Trident
Tin Darkmoon Catalyst - Soul of Gwyndolin
Greatsword Of Artorias (Cursed)12

I am now grinding a Silver Knight to get the sword, I can by the Stone one from Shiva of the East, Moonlight GS is a Seath taildrop and the last two is just matter of finishing the game again. Channelers Trident I thought I had, but that's gonna be a pain in the ass.

Also, PVP in Undead Burg sucks so much. So many lamers around.

Why don't you like it? It's definitely my favorite place for PVP. Fewer assholes than any other area in my experience. PS3 or 360?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
:O

I just remembered that Shiva will be back to life in NG+, which means I can buy my favorite weapon this time around. Screw farming for ghost blades, I want me some claws!

Now to check out the upgrade path for them...

Canova

Banned
:O

I just remembered that Shiva will be back to life in NG+, which means I can buy my favorite weapon this time around. Screw farming for ghost blades, I want me some claws!

Now to check out the upgrade path for them...

they're basically wolverine claws

Why don't you like it? It's definitely my favorite place for PVP. Fewer assholes than any other area in my experience. PS3 or 360?

I did about 10 fights today and every single one of the started with someone rushing towards me while I was bowing down or someone going to the bridge and waiting with full gear for me to come close so they can try using hmmm umit force to push me of the bridge.

Maybe I just ran into some bad apples. There was nice rate of invasions going on so I guess I'll stick there for a while, but in Kiln I did about 60 1v1 matches I had maybe one or two lamers. Heh.

Soulhouf

I hate hate hate selfish players who don't heal their phantoms during the 4K fight.
I tolerate when it's early in the game but at this point there is no excuse.

balddemon

Banned
man my plan was to 'rent' this game from gamestop, but it's looking more and more like a keeper. got the drake sword, but it barely outclasses my longsword +5. the longsword is 120 (+42) and the drake sword is 200. how do i upgrade the drake sword? i dont think titanite works, do i need dragon scales or something? or should i keep upgrading my longsword? it seems silly to keep using the first weapon i started with lol.

Booshka

man my plan was to 'rent' this game from gamestop, but it's looking more and more like a keeper. got the drake sword, but it barely outclasses my longsword +5. the longsword is 120 (+42) and the drake sword is 200. how do i upgrade the drake sword? i dont think titanite works, do i need dragon scales or something? or should i keep upgrading my longsword? it seems silly to keep using the first weapon i started with lol.

Don't upgrade the Drake Sword, the gains aren't worth it. I would look for a better weapon to upgrade past +5, but the Longsword isn't bad.

Buy some of Andrei's weapons and try them out, if one has a moveset you like, upgrade it. There are two very good weapons in tough to reach places. The Zweihander is a very large Greatsword you can find in the Cemetery right next to Firelink Shrine, and the Claymore is on a dead body on the bridge with the Hellkite Dragon on it. Both can be retrieved via suicide runs if you have to, or just fight your way to them/grab and run away.

Upgrading Drake Sword is really expensive if you are starting off. You need Dragon Scales and 10K souls per upgrade.

I just took out the four Titanite Demons at the bottom of Sen's Fortress, probably the most intense moment I've had yet.

I ended up down there because I came back from Anor Londo (boss not done yet) to the blacksmith under Undead Parish - well of course on my way back I get knocked off the bridge by swinging axes - doh! - and wasn't wearing the rusty ring, so I died pretty much straight after dropping since I couldn't get behind a pillar quick enough to heal. So I went back down to get my humanity more than anything - I took out the first demon by cheesing him in the alcove where the ladder is, took out the snake mages, then did the other 3 demons - I ran out of Estus, had to use a humanity to heal, and I was down to less than 10% of health on the last demon, but finally killed him, the sense of elation I felt is exactly why I play these games! It really feels like you achieved something through your own guile and skill.

Phew!

The
Scythe
down there, is it worth upgrading?

Booshka

I just took out the four Titanite Demons at the bottom of Sen's Fortress, probably the most intense moment I've had yet.

I ended up down there because I came back from Anor Londo (boss not done yet) to the blacksmith under Undead Parish - well of course on my way back I get knocked off the bridge by swinging axes - doh! - and wasn't wearing the rusty ring, so I died pretty much straight after dropping since I couldn't get behind a pillar quick enough to heal. So I went back down to get my humanity more than anything - I took out the first demon by cheesing him in the alcove where the ladder is, took out the snake mages, then did the other 3 demons - I ran out of Estus, had to use a humanity to heal, and I was down to less than 10% of health on the last demon, but finally killed him, the sense of elation I felt is exactly why I play these games! It really feels like you achieved something through your own guile and skill.

Phew!

The 2 in the other room are so much stronger and are a pain in the ass to beat. Not to mention you have to get creative so as not to aggro the one in the back while fighting the one in front. Worth it for all that Demon titanite though.

balddemon

Banned
Don't upgrade the Drake Sword, the gains aren't worth it. I would look for a better weapon to upgrade past +5, but the Longsword isn't bad.

Buy some of Andrei's weapons and try them out, if one has a moveset you like, upgrade it. There are two very good weapons in tough to reach places. The Zweihander is a very large Greatsword you can find in the Cemetery right next to Firelink Shrine, and the Claymore is on a dead body on the bridge with the Hellkite Dragon on it. Both can be retrieved via suicide runs if you have to, or just fight your way to them/grab and run away.

Upgrading Drake Sword is really expensive if you are starting off. You need Dragon Scales and 10K souls per upgrade.

loool ok i will not upgrade the drake sword.

as for the big swords, i have the zweihander, it's just so slow though. i assume all the greatswords are like that? but i'm pretty much pure strength at the moment, do those scale the best with strength?

edit: looking through the wiki, seems clubs have the best str scaling. time for blighttown for the great club i spose.

Booshka

loool ok i will not upgrade the drake sword.

as for the big swords, i have the zweihander, it's just so slow though. i assume all the greatswords are like that? but i'm pretty much pure strength at the moment, do those scale the best with strength?
edit: looking through the wiki, seems clubs have the best str scaling. time for blighttown for the great club i spose.

All of the Greatswords are slow like that, if you want something faster but still hits hard, try the Claymore, it's a good middle ground for power/speed. Both the Claymore and Zwei scale C in Dexterity and Strength, so unless you are committing a lot of points to both, they won't scale too well. They are best taken elemental, Lightning/Fire/Chaos or the Faith/Intelligence paths if you are going for high magic stats. The Zwei is slow, but if you 2 Hand it and use its range while learning the timing of your attack and the enemies attack, you can usually get the first hit off and either kill them in one hit, or stun them then kill them with subsequent attacks. It's the trade off of speed for damage and power.

Edit: Forgot to mention the Man-Serpent Greatsword, that has A Strength scaling and is pretty quick for its size and power, the Snake Men in Sen's Fortress drop it, you may have to farm for it, but it's a really good sword and will serve you well if you are going Strength.

TommyT

Anything new with Dark Souls? Got out of it after playing through it a couple of times, but I'd always come back if there were something new/interesting going on. Was a general soul level decided for pvp by the community yet?

Booshka

Anything new with Dark Souls? Got out of it after playing through it a couple of times, but I'd always come back if there were something new/interesting going on. Was a general soul level decided for pvp by the community yet?

120 for the most part.

Mike M

Nick N

Phew!

The
Scythe
down there, is it worth upgrading?

Crazy risk taking there, I made return trips to the bonfire between each demon to restock flasks since they didn't respawn.

The scythe can be two handed with practically no strength and does respectable damage, so it's a nice choice for INT/FAI builds

Error

it's a good weapon for the beginning of the game, as it outclasses any weapon you could get in that area. later it gets eclipsed by better equipment that offer stat scaling.

The Chef

Well this is odd. NG+ I head down to the Tomb of the Giants and get all the way to the boss area and its sealed off with the orange fog? I did this WAY before getting
the Lordvessel in Anor Londo
my first time through.

Edit: Mmm guess I was mistaken. Maybe I did go here later.

Mike M

Nick N
Well this is odd. NG+ I head down to the Tomb of the Giants and get all the way to the boss area and its sealed off with the orange fog? I did this WAY before getting
the Lordvessel in Anor Londo
my first time through.

Am I forgetting something?

Hrm.... Not sure how you could have... Unless you can attack Nito coming into his chamber through the casket from the Catacombs to start the fight?

Sajjaja

Can any of you guys give me a tip as to what I should build towards? I really don't have a focus as to what to do. Right now I guess I'm building a dex character. IIRC (I haven't played in a while), I have about 20 dex, 12 str, 18-19 endurance, 15 vit and everything else is default (Started Wanderer). Using default armor and doing my best to stay under the 15% equip burden to maintain most mobility. Using wanderer robes, Scimtar +1 and Rapier/Shortsword.

I'm used to being a more tanky character but I decided I wanted to be super mobile instead for Dark Souls. Should I allow myself to pass the 15% equip burden and roll slower at the cost of being tankier?

Roche

Can any of you guys give me a tip as to what I should build towards? I really don't have a focus as to what to do. Right now I guess I'm building a dex character. IIRC (I haven't played in a while), I have about 20 dex, 12 str, 18-19 endurance, 15 vit and everything else is default (Started Wanderer). Using default armor and doing my best to stay under the 15% equip burden to maintain most mobility. Using wanderer robes, Scimtar +1 and Rapier/Shortsword.

I'm used to being a more tanky character but I decided I wanted to be super mobile instead for Dark Souls. Should I allow myself to pass the 15% equip burden and roll slower at the cost of being tankier?

I recommend that you keep working up your dex, maybe up to around 40-45. I'd get the Balder Side Sword if I were you. It's like a Long Sword but it has better reach and a slightly different move set; great for Dexterity builds. With higher dex, you should level your Rapier and Balder Side Sword to +15 each for good stat scaling.

You're probably going to want to level up your endurance to the mid 30's and your vitality should be a good bit higher, just below 40 I'd say. The Wolf Ring is handy if you want a bit of poise and you're not interested in flipping about the place with the Dark Wood Grain Ring (It's just a bit silly in my opinion). But yeah, I'd fully recommend you stick to the fastest roll possible if you are going to be doing a fast build. I usually get the best results when fast rolling in and out of attacks to gradually drain health.

This is some of the stuff I've learned along the way, feel free to disregard any of this and go your own way. I find that's the most satisfying way to play Dark Souls.

Sullichin

Couple of things: the equip burden for fast roll is < 25%, not 15. And check out the dark wood grain ring. If you'ved play online, it's the ring a lot of people use to flip around. With it, you only have to be <=50% and you can run and flip really fast. It uses a ring slot, but you will be able to afford yourself better armor and move around really fast. There's lots of good dex weapons if you want to focus on that- balder side sword, uchigatana, iaito, etc. Find something you like and upgrade it. I see now someone else already responded to you with pretty much the same info. Oops

Roche

I also personally use the Ring of Favor and Protection. Iit can be a liability since you can't take it off without breaking it, leaving you with just one ring slot to work with while using it.

That said it offers some pretty nice benefits, giving you a 20% boost to HP, Stamina and equip load. Up to you to decide really.

Sullichin

I also personally use the Ring of Favor and Protection. Iit can be a liability since you can't take it off without breaking it, leaving you with just one ring slot to work with while using it.

That said it offers some pretty nice benefits, giving you a 20% boost to HP, Stamina and equip load.

I use the RoFaP on many of my characters. It's awesome. I like the RoFaP+dark wood grain ring combo as well.

Roche

I use the RoFaP on many of my characters. It's awesome. That being said I like the RoFaP+dark wood grain ring combo as well.

I've used the Dark Wood Grain Ring a couple of times in the past and it just kinda doesn't do it for me. The equipment burden being lessened is nice but it makes my normally bad ass warrior into a bit of a joke.

Really it's all just personal preference, I will admit the Dark Wood Ring has some awesome benefits if you're willing to put up with a bit of silliness.

Booshka

I use the RoFaP on many of my characters. It's awesome. I like the RoFaP+dark wood grain ring combo as well.

Do you like the Black Knight Greataxe and Giant's Armor with a Pinwheel mask? Shit's awesome.

/sarcasm

Just playing, but I've tried to shy away from the FaP ring for most of my builds, I still use flip ring almost all the time, but having another slot to mix up rings is very handy. For strength characters though, FaP ring is almost required.

Sullichin

I've used the Dark Wood Grain Ring a couple of times in the past and it just kinda doesn't do it for me. The equipment burden being lessened is nice but it makes my normally bad ass warrior into a bit of a joke.

Really it's all just personal preference, I will admit the Dark Wood Ring has some awesome benefits if you're willing to put up with a bit of silliness.

I wish DWGR wasn't in the game or was nerfed a bit. But after playing a lot of PVP i'd say it's almost necessary. Everyone is using it. If you're not, you're moving too slow or you don't have enough poise. I agree it looks ridiculous to be flipping around in heavy armor. Quick roll looks much better. I spent most of my SL1 run under 25% weight and it felt great, better than DWGR for sure. I'm stuck at four kings now though.. fuck

Do you like the Black Knight Greataxe and Giant's Armor with a Pinwheel mask? Shit's awesome.

/sarcasm

Just playing, but I've tried to shy away from the FaP ring for most of my builds, I still use flip ring almost all the time, but having another slot to mix up rings is very handy. For strength characters though, FaP ring is almost required.

Hey you helped me craft my BKGA build :p Love that weapon. I don't feel cheap using it, I fight fair. But of course I don't use pinwheel mask or giants chest piece, because they look stupid and I'd just feel less satisfied about a win if I used the most common setup ever. I do like the giant helm and leggings though. I also like armor of thorns head + dingy robe + havels leggings/gauntlets. Looks pretty cool too. And yeah most of my PVP characters use STR weapons, so fap ring definitely makes the most sense. Can't really think of another ring that would benefit me more than the ability to swing my weapon one more time, or let me eat a hit while I'm smashing someone with a demon's great machete.

Error

some people get really creative when you invade.

btw, can I get to painted world? already did the lordvessel crap and killed
nito

joe2187

Banned
the description basically tells you it's
Priscillas

A strange doll in strange dress.

There once was an abomination who had
no place in this world. She clutched this
doll tightly, and eventually was drawn into
a cold and lonely painted world.

Status