• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT4| Victory achieved for Scamco, text defeated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Booshka

you shoud have got a regular slab out of it...keep in mind its not the original boss there but later when you "revisit" the area that you get the tougher stray demon and the SLAB.

just kill lautrec and ignore the other shmucks..they don't drop stuff anyway.

I really liked the challenge of getting the blue slab despite never using it...the invisible walkway is tough to assess without using your brain....excellent brain teaser and they give a hint as to what will help earlier in DUkes.

Learn to multi-quote and edit in responses if your the last post. Double and Triple posts are poor forum etiquette.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
I've gotten better at the pvp now, before I just ninja flipped like crazy and drain stamina like a moran. Now I'm more careful with stamina and only flip if necessary, I've been winning more consistenly.

my god invading dark anor londo is such a pain when people start running away. I always forget to equip the black crystal to bail out, because I'm sure as fuck not playing cat/mouse.

any benefits to dual wielding weapons? I usually just use a msgs two handed.

Man, I really thought after Anor Londo id be depressed with the quality degradation, but Dukes and New Londo are still pretty good. I have finished neither yet and I'm taking my time because I know I'm going to hate what comes next.

The best thing was in both of my saves (I got past S&O on both, but lost my first save), is I always assumed that the door being the drakes in the Valley of Drakes was an unfinished area that didnt make the cut into the final game. So you can guess how big my smile was once it opened.

If a PC version comes out, my one hope is that someone extracts the whole game and makes maybe a lower res version that you can view the world and zoom in and out very fast (with clipping). It's hard to get an idea for me how everything is really laid out besides knowing this place has an entrance to that place ect.

Booshka

Balder Swag Sword has such amazing Thrust attacks, catch so many people with it. I've been throwing fireballs then doing the thrust attack right after, players almost always roll through the fireball but they have a Balder sword on the other end of it poking them in the gut. It usually does more damage that way too because they are hit shortly after a roll.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
I hate estus chuggers, seriously. Just lost 3 Darkmoon invasions in a row due to this. They start to fight honorably but once they start losing they run and chug estus.

joe2187

Banned
Spirit of vengence in the painted world guy, fuck you man. I was having some legit PVP sessions having a good time, fighting honorably but this spirit of vengence fucker invaded me six times in the span of twenty minutes, and was the cheapest motherfucker I've dealt with online.

1st invasion- Stand back and bow, crystal spear to the face + Homing soul mass = Death
2nd invasion - On guard, homing soul mass + Crystal spear + Moonlight sword projectile = Death
3rd Invasion - On Guard, same as the rest I dodge, all charges in w/ moonlight sword Wrath of god = Death
4th, 5th, and 6th Invasion same as the 3rd however the Wrath of God spam is nonstop, charge into me WOG, WOG WOG WOG WOG WOG death.
7th invasion - rolled out of all the WOG attacks, down to 25 HP, he runs at me swings and I parry that motherfucker, and slice him in two with my great-axe.

REVENEGENCE MOTHERFUCKER!

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
I hate estus chuggers, seriously. Just lost 3 Darkmoon invasions in a row due to this. They start to fight honorably but once they start losing they run and chug estus.

There's nothing wrong with somebody using Estus during an invasion. If you object to your opponents using Estus you should be engaging in duels, not invasions.

Booshka

This is why you need to keep constant pressure on weak opponents. If they go to heal you should be right next to them to punish with a backstab, after you backstab throw a Lloyd's talisman and keep on pressuring, maybe back up a little to see if they will foolishly try to heal, then punish that.

Spirit of vengence in the painted world guy, fuck you man. I was having some legit PVP sessions having a good time, fighting honorably but this spirit of vengence fucker invaded me six times in the span of twenty minutes, and was the cheapest motherfucker I've dealt with online.

1st invasion- Stand back and bow, crystal spear to the face + Homing soul mass = Death
2nd invasion - On guard, homing soul mass + Crystal spear + Moonlight sword projectile = Death
3rd Invasion - On Guard, same as the rest I dodge, all charges in w/ moonlight sword Wrath of god = Death
4th, 5th, and 6th Invasion same as the 3rd however the Wrath of God spam is nonstop, charge into me WOG, WOG WOG WOG WOG WOG death.
7th invasion - rolled out of all the WOG attacks, down to 25 HP, he runs at me swings and I parry that motherfucker, and slice him in two with my great-axe.

REVENEGENCE MOTHERFUCKER!
It's always interesting to fight high level Darkmoons that have maxed Faith and Intelligence with tons of health, flip rolling and strong weapons. But hey that's part of the covenant.
There's nothing wrong with somebody using Estus during an invasion. If you object to your opponents using Estus you should be engaging in duels, not invasions.
In a lot of places a Darkmoon invasion is usually an unofficial duel, I always bow to Darkmoons, they bow back, and we have a fair fight. Or if I am a Darkmoon I usually invade places where people want fair Duels, Kiln, Burg, and get fair duels. It depends on where you invade, but Estus chugging is always annoying, especially when you were having a good fight, then the host panics and goes to heal when he is about to lose.

Error

I'm ok with healing, what irks me is when they start running all over dark anor londo and you have to play cat/mouse. the level is huge and it's such a waste of time looking around, I use the black crystal because I'm not putting that much effort.

I never heal when I invade, unless it's a party. Honestly when it's against a party all bets are off, and I use every trick in the book.

Booshka

I'm ok with healing, what irks me is when they start running all over dark anor londo and you have to play cat/mouse. the level is huge and it's such a waste of time looking around, I use the black crystal because I'm not putting that much effort.

I never heal when I invade, unless it's a party. Honestly when it's against a party all bets are off, and I use every trick in the book.

Chasing people down in Dark Anor Londo is so annoying, I check the rotating staircase, if they aren't around there, I bail.

I just invaded two max level players, one was host and the other a sunbro, it was Undead Burg so I thought it would be a fair duel while the host watched but no, they enchant their weapons and start coming after me. So I go back up the stairs and cast Fire Tempest, they both try to roll through it (bad idea) and take 1200 damage, I cast it again and catch the sunbro with it. After that it's just the host, he is weak so I throw a fireball at him and do a Balder Swag Sword thrust attack for the kill. 1.7 Million souls, gave them the 'Look Skyward' gesture on the way out.

Vaporak

So I picket up this game a couple days ago and I'm really loving it so far, but I have to say, fuck Blighttown. If a PC version gets announced it'll be worth it just to fix the framerate. I did just manage to ring the second bell and finally get out, but I've lost about 40K souls doing so. ;_;
Oh and what happened to Solaire? He didn't show up as summon-able for the Blighttown boss, just this barbarian women that I killed earlier.

Booshka

So I picket up this game a couple days ago and I'm really loving it so far, but I have to say, fuck Blighttown. If a PC version gets announced it'll be worth it just to fix the framerate. I did just manage to ring the second bell and finally get out, but I've lost about 40K souls doing so. ;_;
Oh and what happened to Solaire? He didn't show up as summon-able for the Blighttown boss, just this barbarian women that I killed earlier.

He's not around for all of the boss fights, but he is available for the most notable ones. You get to see the glory of TARKUS in the next area.

ixix

In a lot of places a Darkmoon invasion is usually an unofficial duel, I always bow to Darkmoons, they bow back, and we have a fair fight. Or if I am a Darkmoon I usually invade places where people want fair Duels, Kiln, Burg, and get fair duels. It depends on where you invade, but Estus chugging is always annoying, especially when you were having a good fight, then the host panics and goes to heal when he is about to lose.

That some players use invasions for ad-hoc duels doesn't mean that any particular invasion victim is going to see it that way, or even be aware they're used as such. Expecting hosts to refrain from using one of the basic tools the game gives them and then getting upset when they fail to uphold some nebulously defined and inherently unenforceable code of invasion conduct doesn't accomplish anything. Dark Souls PvP is designed from stem to stern to be asymmetric; engaging in it while expecting fair one-on-one duels is doing nothing but setting yourself up for grief. When you invade, do so with the full understanding that the host has ready access to an easily-replenished supply of healing items and the ability to summon allies and that you, as an invader, have the ability to use enemies and environmental hazards against them. Performing Darkwraith and Darkmoon invasions expecting a fair duel when you've got no means of enforcing your limited ruleset on your opponent and the game itself actively dissuades using them as such is just going to be unpleasant for both parties.

Mike M

Nick N
Powered my way through Demon Ruins today. Kind of a weird area, seems to have a disproportionate concentration of bonfires and bosses, to say nothing of the ridiculous swarm of Taurus and Capra demons.

Then I got to Lost Izalith and thought, "Wiw, look at all the roots. Hey, those roots over there are moving!"

Only they weren't roots... : O

I haven't fought any of those... Things... On account they're huge, there's a million of them, and they're standing in lava. This far they've been easy to avoid, hope it stays that way.

Speaking of roots, I only today realized that there's a huge canopy of tree branches above Firelink Shrine. I'd seen all the roots below Blighttown, been through the Great Hollow and visited Ash Lake, but this was the first time it all clicked and realized that the landmass of Lordran is in the branches of a giant tree/series of trees.

Booshka

That some players use invasions for ad-hoc duels doesn't mean that any particular invasion victim is going to see it that way, or even be aware they're used as such. Expecting hosts to refrain from using one of the basic tools the game gives them and then getting upset when they fail to uphold some nebulously defined and inherently unenforceable code of invasion conduct doesn't accomplish anything. Dark Souls PvP is designed from stem to stern to be asymmetric; engaging in it while expecting fair one-on-one duels is doing nothing but setting yourself up for grief. When you invade, do so with the full understanding that the host has ready access to an easily-replenished supply of healing items and the ability to summon allies and that you, as an invader, have the ability to use enemies and environmental hazards against them. Performing Darkwraith and Darkmoon invasions expecting a fair duel when you've got no means of enforcing your limited ruleset on your opponent and the game itself actively dissuades using them as such is just going to be unpleasant for both parties.

This is all well and good if players are healing and summoning help to progress through the level and challenge the boss, but usually it's just people farming invaders as they chug and rush 2 and 3 vs 1. I don't have a problem with people chugging and doing whatever they got to do to progress through a level, I've said this before, but if you are farming invaders, fuck you.

Error

Powered my way through Demon Ruins today. Kind of a weird area, seems to have a disproportionate concentration of bonfires and bosses, to say nothing of the ridiculous swarm of Taurus and Capra demons.

Then I got to Lost Izalith and thought, "Wiw, look at all the roots. Hey, those roots over there are moving!"

Only they weren't roots... : O

I haven't fought any of those... Things... On account they're huge, there's a million of them, and they're standing in lava. This far they've been easy to avoid, hope it stays that way.

Speaking of roots, I only today realized that there's a huge canopy of tree branches above Firelink Shrine. I'd seen all the roots below Blighttown, been through the Great Hollow and visited Ash Lake, but this was the first time it all clicked and realized that the landmass of Lordran is in the branches of a giant tree/series of trees.
I'd ignore them too, it's pain to kill them and they drop 2k souls. not worth the trouble.

edit: unless you use long range weapons.

ixix

This is all well and good if players are healing and summoning help to progress through the level and challenge the boss, but usually it's just people farming invaders as they chug and rush 2 and 3 vs 1. I don't have a problem with people chugging and doing whatever they got to do to progress through a level, I've said this before, but if you are farming invaders, fuck you.

Honestly, I don't have any real objections to invader farming. I think it's boring and on the occasions when I've been summoned for co-op by someone looking to engage in it I've used my black stone to bail, but conceptually I really see nothing wrong with it. On the occasions that I have found the need to grind up my Darkmoon rank using the ring and stone it's happened to me a fair amount, but I've never seen any reason to be mad about it. I know what I'm getting into when I start invading, and it seems a little crass of me to get miffed about being ambushed when I'm entering people's games unsolicited to try to kill them. Getting spawn killed is just an occupational hazard.

Booshka

Honestly, I don't have any real objections to invader farming. I think it's boring and on the occasions when I've been summoned for co-op by someone looking to engage in it I've used my black stone to bail, but conceptually I really see nothing wrong with it. On the occasions that I have found the need to grind up my Darkmoon rank using the ring and stone it's happened to me a fair amount, but I've never seen any reason to be mad about it. I know what I'm getting into when I start invading, and it seems a little crass of me to get miffed about being ambushed when I'm entering people's games unsolicited to try to kill them. Getting spawn killed is just an occupational hazard.

The soul payout from hosting and farming invaders is way too high, I think you should get much less than you do. Invaders have a harder time getting kills and they get a fraction of the souls. The payout encourages people to just sit in one spot and farm invaders, instead of invading themselves. If more people were invading, it would make it so you were actually fighting people that are trying to get to the boss. If there was a way to decrease the amount of souls you get from sitting in one spot and farming invaders, then I would be okay with someone getting a lot of souls after killing an invader on their way to the boss.

I'm kind of bummed that I didnt throw down my summon sign ever so far. Now I'm level 60 and it seems like it'd be a waste of my time.

Would it be worth it to throw it down in New Londo or Duke's at this level? And where are the best places? I can still be summoned even if I killed the boss already in that area right, I just can't invade?

Error

I'm kind of bummed that I didnt throw down my summon sign ever so far. Now I'm level 60 and it seems like it'd be a waste of my time.

Would it be worth it to throw it down in New Londo or Duke's at this level? And where are the best places? I can still be summoned even if I killed the boss already in that area right, I just can't invade?
I got summoned at level 80 on duke archives.

you can invade even if you kill the area boss but only if you are darkmoon.

Booshka

Level 60 is actually pretty good for mid to late game areas. Try Painted World and Anor Londo, and any of the late game areas. You can invade after you beat the area boss.

I got summoned at level 80 on duke archives.

you can invade even if you kill the area boss but only if you are darkmoon.

This isn't true, Darkmoons can invade while Hollow, but Darkwraiths can invade after they beat the boss as well. I think only Gravelords have to keep the boss alive to do PvP by Gravelording.

I just started to read about covenants and forest hunter seems like fun. It's too bad I'm wearing the favor ring therefor unable to ninja flip. What are good levels for forest hunters? Does it matter since I can invade higher levels?

Edit: I guess I can just switch rings after being summoned?

Error

I haven't tried darkwraith yet.

and I still don't understand how gravelording works. seems like the most complicated out of all pvp covenants.

that's what I do.

watch out when invading as a forest hunter, people love to farm invaders in that area so be prepare for 2v1 or 3v1 most of the time.

I found a video on how to skip Ceaseless Discharge, likely showing what Miyazaki was talking about. The upload date? Jan 30, 2012.

Not a bug, just abusing roll immunity. Apparently in the original version of the game, you could use Great Magic Barrier to the same effect.

Booshka

I just started to read about covenants and forest hunter seems like fun. It's too bad I'm wearing the favor ring therefor unable to ninja flip. What are good levels for forest hunters? Does it matter since I can invade higher levels?

Forest Hunters isn't level restricted, and the people you will invade aren't level restricted either, so level all you want. And yes, you can change rings after getting summoned. Just leave the cat ring on until you see "Invading another world as dark spirit" then switch rings. You can do it before you even spawn in.

M.D

What!? LOL

99 Chuncks of every kind, 99 Humanity, Twin Humanities, 99 Homeward bones, 999 of every arrow type and bolt, Quelaag's Furysword +5, Iron Round Shield +5, Tons of Ring of Sacrifice & Rare Ring of Sacrifice and many other rings and items I forget lol

He gave me more stuff, but I just couldn't pick it because I had full inventory :)

Pretty crazy lol :p

I've rejoined Blade of the Dark Moon after getting all the covenant trophies. Man, this is the best covenant.

I always invade in the burg, near the bonfire. Always keep it honorable, unless someone is looking for a backstab or using some cheap tactic, then I WOTG their asses lol

Also got Darkmoon Blade which is a great addition to Sunlight Blade.
I've used mostly a Zweihander +14 yesterday, and while I won't use it for PVE, this is a great weapon for PVP.

Great damage and reach, and because of that reach, I can 2 hand without worrying. And smashing people down the floor never gets old :D
I still don't win most fights, but I'm getting better.

If anyone have a spare Soul of Gwyndolin/Darkmoon Bow, I could use it :) It's the only weapon I'm missing for the Rare Weapons trophy. I could give something in return, of course. I have plenty of resources now haha

Sucks that I need to join sundudes again to get all the miracles trophy :( If I want to join Blade of the Dark Moon again, I'll have to go to Anor Londo again, and I didn't plan on playing NG++. tho I could probably do it pretty fast.

Booshka

99 Chuncks of every kind, 99 Humanity, Twin Humanities, 99 Homeward bones, 999 of every arrow type and bolt, Quelaag's Furysword +5, Iron Round Shield +5, Tons of Ring of Sacrifice & Rare Ring of Sacrifice and many other rings and items I forget lol

He gave me more stuff, but I just couldn't pick it because I had full inventory :)

Pretty crazy lol :p

I've rejoined Blade of the Dark Moon after getting all the covenant trophies. Man, this is the best covenant.

I always invade in the burg, near the bonfire. Always keep it honorable, unless someone is looking for a backstab or using some cheap tactic, then I WOTG their asses lol

Also got Darkmoon Blade which is a great addition to Sunlight Blade.
I've used mostly a Zweihander +14 yesterday, and while I won't use it for PVE, this is a great weapon for PVP.

Great damage and reach, and because of that reach, I can 2 hand without worrying. And smashing people down the floor never gets old :D
I still don't win most fights, but I'm getting better.

If anyone have a spare Soul of Gwyndolin/Darkmoon Bow, I could use it :) It's the only weapon I'm missing for the Rare Weapons trophy. I could give something in return, of course. I have plenty of resources now haha

Sucks that I need to join sundudes again to get all the miracles trophy :( If I want to join Blade of the Dark Moon again, I'll have to go to Anor Londo again, and I didn't plan on playing NG++. tho I could probably do it pretty fast.
For the Zwei in PvP, abuse its amazing roll poke, you can catch a lot of players with it, and get used to not locking on and just manually aiming the swings/pokes.

If you really object to their using Estus you should be chucking a Lloyd's Talisman at 'em.

And yes, it's perfectly acceptable during an invasion. An invader is by definition, forcing their way into someone's game unwanted (in most cases) and trying to make their life harder. No one really cares about their rights. XD

For the Zwei in PvP, abuse its amazing roll poke, you can catch a lot of players with it, and get used to not locking on and just manually aiming the swings/pokes.

Also, for those backstab happy fighters, 2H the weapon, remove lock on and use pivot slashes (during the slash animation hit down on the stick and the character slashes behind them) then laugh as you stunlock kill them in 2-3 slashes because they walked right into your sword trying for your back.

If you really object to their using Estus you should be chucking a Lloyd's Talisman at 'em.

And yes, it's perfectly acceptable during an invasion. An invader is by definition, forcing their way into someone's game unwanted (in most cases) and trying to make their life harder. No one really cares about their rights. XD

What my brother said.

Gankers don't get to invade my world and go "wahhh he's using Estus Flasks, why isn't he fighting honorably, wahhh". Fuck you Mr. Random Darkwraith, you invaded me and I'll do whatever I want to do to eject your ass and go back to playing my game. No mercy. Don't invade if you don't like it, all of us who don't like getting randomly attacked by Darkwraiths will be happier and so will you.

Soulhouf

The most honorable fights I had were in Kiln using rather the red summon sign or the dragon eye.
When you do that, you're clearly asking for duel, so you'll likely have a fair fight.
But sometimes there are assholes who summon you and still don't give a fuck to respect duel fights.

Most of the time when I'm getting invaded, it's some asshole geared to the teeth with NG++++ stuff who kills me in a single sorcery blast. I have a hard time feeling sympathy for them. They're mostly running around Burg or Parish looking for newbies that need help on the bosses.

If you want a honourable fight, go to a PVP zone and stop bothering me. If there is any cheap tactic I can use to survive, I will use it.

Dresden

Only thing that pisses me off is people that pick up your red invasion sign and then gangbang you with two others at the Kiln.

RaginRoss

Thanks for all the suggestions a few pages back guys, i've changed some things around and feel a lot more powerful now.

I raised my Attunement, Vitality and Endurance a little bit more, killed Sif and Shiva's ninja to get the Dark Wood Grain Ring, and i'm now currently using;

Right Hand - Falchion +9 / Pyromancy Glove +11 - also the Lightning Spear +3
Left Hand - Eagle Shield +5

The full Gold-Hemmed armour set.

Dark Wood Grain Ring
Ring of the Evil Eye

Currently farming the humans in the forest near Alvina to get above SL50, then I think i'll head into Anor Londo properly and see how I get on. I've looked into the weapons available a little more now, and I really like the sound of Quelaag's Furysword, which I should be able to get on my way through Anor Londo.

Soulhouf

Thanks for all the suggestions a few pages back guys, i've changed some things around and feel a lot more powerful now.

I raised my Attunement, Vitality and Endurance a little bit more, killed Sif and Shiva's ninja to get the Dark Wood Grain Ring, and i'm now currently using;

Right Hand - Falchion +9 / Pyromancy Glove +11 - also the Lightning Spear +3
Left Hand - Eagle Shield +5

The full Gold-Hemmed armour set.

Dark Wood Grain Ring
Ring of the Evil Eye

Currently farming the humans in the forest near Alvina to get above SL50, then I think i'll head into Anor Londo properly and see how I get on. I've looked into the weapons available a little more now, and I really like the sound of Quelaag's Furysword, which I should be able to get on my way through Anor Londo.

Also I recommend you upgrade your Eagle shield to +10.
You can buy large titanite from the vendor in Sen's Fortress.
That will make your fight against Anor Londo's boss a lot easier.

Soulhouf

Ornstein and Smough are making me hate this game. Aghhhfgh.

The easiest way is to get the Eagle shield if you don't have it and upgrade it to +10.
Just pay attention to the impale attack
of Super Orstein
(you can't block it with a shield) and you'll be alright.
I also recommend you get summoned for the fight to practice and watch how the others handle it.

Ratrat

The easiest way is to get the Eagle shield if you don't have it and upgrade it to +10.
Just pay attention to the impale attack
of Super Orstein
(you can't block it with a shield) and you'll be alright.
I also recommend you get summoned for the fight to practice and watch how the others handle it.

Only been able to upgrade weapons to +5.
Havent summoned/been summoned once in the game yet so I'll try that.

chunk3rvd

I'm on PS3 at SL34 - can anyone spare me an unupgraded Pyromancy Flame? After seeing Epicnamebro's video I'd love to play around with Power Within on my current build but my +5 Queelana flame drains my health way too fast and I don't want to head into NG+ just to get one

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
I think he means he's going to expose hosts who sit there with 2 buddies waiting for fresh victims.

This is indeed what I mean. Tired of uploading videos of forest invaders, time to do it myself!

It's quite fun doing it as a Darkmoon Blade. Delicious rank 3 buff.

2v1 is more common in the forest but invading 3 of them is much more fun. They're so cocky!

Soulhouf

You can have a host with two white phantoms I'm pretty sure, it isn't as common but it happens.

You can only if the host is a forest hunter himself. Each session only allows 4 players and since 2 forest hunters can invade, it only leave 1 slot for the host and another for a phantom.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
While I rank up my darkmoon buff, I will invade anor londo instead. Hilarious how complete unwillingness to fight 1v1 turns into supreme confidence when a phantom is there to help them.

So any advice for PvP?

I played Demon Souls but barely had a few PvP encounters and since is more common now in Dark Souls since I got the game sooner I'm getting my ass kicked in the forest by blue phantoms...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom