• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT4| Victory achieved for Scamco, text defeated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Booshka

I just upgraded my lightning spear from Sens to +5 for the lightning trophy

I'm thinking of making a Balder Straight Sword +15 because I love the move set; that would be the strongest weapon trophy

For a fire weapon I was planning on making something small, basically for sewer and/or corridor fights (those enemies tend to be weak to fire). I tried a fire long sword and it's fun, not sure if I'll take that to +5.

I also made a divine winged spear +5 which one-shots skeles; bit of a waste but another trophy

Raw and Crystal just seem like a total waste of materials to me so I'll probably do those last.

Raw is easy, you only have to use Large Shards. Crystal is a waste of a slab though, unless it's a Demon Great Machete or Demon Great Axe, but you can put the slab on it, then quit to XMB/Dashboard after you get the trophy/achievement, and you'll still have you're slab.

Get on my level (aka 80 souvenirs for +3 ;_;)

If you're on later / haven't already gotten the 5 we can maybe set something up, I don't mind giving you some.

I may have to, if I keep getting teleport-backstabbed by Japanese players.

My character is level 68. Are you in range?

Edit - Forgot to ask, but where are some good places to invade as a Darkmoon? I was mostly doing it in the Burg. Was thinking about maybe Darkroot Garden or the Catacombs.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)

Edit - Forgot to ask, but where are some good places to invade as a Darkmoon? I was mostly doing it in the Burg. Was thinking about maybe Darkroot Garden or the Catacombs.

You can invade any level up or down as a Darkmoon, so to answer your first question yes, and to answer your second, anywhere that's popular! I still get a lot of failures but it's easy enough to invade in Forest or Londo.

Guevara

If you're going for trophies, be sure to exit the game using the XMB right after a weapon trophy pops. Don't press any other button after you get a weapon to max level. When you reload you'll have the trophy and all of your upgrade catalysts intact. Especially the slab.

whoa if true. Does my weapon also stay upgraded or no?

Booshka

Kiln is great for Darkmoons because they can invade while Hollow, so in the Kiln, Darkmoon invasions take priority over Darkwraiths, unlike everywhere else.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
You can invade any level up or down as a Darkmoon, so to answer your first question yes, and to answer your second, anywhere that's popular! I still get a lot of failures but it's easy enough to invade in Forest or Londo.

duke archives too. you get mostly 1v1 there, sometimes a party but it's easy to deal with parties in that area.

I thought darkmoons only invaded people that were lower leveled?

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
I may try the Archives. Need to farm for a Channeller's Trident anyway.

the good thing about duke archives is that you can invade right next to the bonfire, and that's where most duels occur, too. no need to search all over the place.

Mxrz

I really don't like the keep in Anor Londo. It might be the dullest location in the game. Maybe if they had spruced the interior up a little.

Roche

Oh man, Artorias' Greatsword is incredible, seriously the thing is just ridiculously powerful. I just spent the day working on a build surrounding it and I've been beating groups of two consistently all night.

I sort of came up with an evil tactic to use with it, I start out with my Estoc and attack 'em for a bit with that. Once they get used to my moves and such with that weapon I switch out to the Greatsword for ridiculous damage. I don't know if I'm being too much of a dick right now.

Oh man, Artorias' Greatsword is incredible, seriously the thing is just ridiculously powerful. I just spent the day working on a build surrounding it and I've been beating groups of two consistently all night.

I sort of came up with an evil tactic to use with it, I start out with my Estoc and attack 'em for a bit with that. Once they get used to my moves and such with that weapon I switch out to the Greatsword for ridiculous damage. I don't know if I'm being too much of a dick right now.

I think it has been confirmed that the Claymore & Zweihandler are better weapons in both speed & damage.
Unless you maxed you stats at 99 for the scaling of Artorias Greatsword.

Roche

I think it has been confirmed that the Claymore & Zweihandler are better weapons in both speed & damage.

Really? I've used both and they're not nearly as effective for me as the Greatsword. Maybe I'm just better with the timing of this one or something. I can't really stand using a Zweihandler just don't really like the feel of it.

dosh

I really don't like the keep in Anor Londo. It might be the dullest location in the game. Maybe if they had spruced the interior up a little.

Ho absolutely. Despite the exterior being majestic, radiant and HUGE, the interior ended up being the most empty and flat location in the game. One of the shortest too.
Fighting S&O and finding Ariamis totally made up for the initial let down though.

2AdEPT

I'm going to make weapons to get all the weapon trophies - I need some advice for weapons beside normal and lighting

What are some good weapons to upgrade in each category? but what are some generally well-accepted weapons in each upgrade category?

I just upgraded my lightning spear from Sens to +5 for the lightning trophy

I'm thinking of making a Balder Straight Sword +15 because I love the move set; that would be the strongest weapon trophy

For a fire weapon I was planning on making something small, basically for sewer and/or corridor fights (those enemies tend to be weak to fire). I tried a fire long sword and it's fun, not sure if I'll take that to +5.

I also made a divine winged spear +5 which one-shots skeles; bit of a waste but another trophy

Raw and Crystal just seem like a total waste of materials to me so I'll probably do those last.

Some of the upgradable weapons I feel are best for usefulness are reach weapons....the Great Scythe for me is a cool weapon to have as fire.....grim reaper authentic. The gargoyle halbred is a rare drop but it also kicks ass....can't remember how it upgrades though.....iirc the demon's spear is a great overlooked weapon for certain situations as its r2 knocks people down and you "duck" where can't do this move with any other weapon.....unfortunately I think the demon spear requires demon titanite stone upgrades only. Another is the Shotel...cool looking and goes through shields.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Invading the forest again, let's go.

Edit: Wow, this gimmicky forest invasion build, lol. Traded my unused vow of silence for another stock of WoG. So lame, but so good.

Tonight has been a busy night

-Farmed for the Channeler's Trident. Son of a bitch.

-Got rank 1 in the Darkmoon covenant by killing harpies. Took almost no time at all.

-Killed Gwyndolin. Dark Wood Grain Ring was MVP,

-Am now able to join the Sunbros by helping a dude through the Catacombs. Pinwheel lasted maybe 3 seconds.

I think all I have to do on this playthrough is obtain 3 more red titanite chunks for the fire and chaos weapon trophies, join the Sunbros, coop once for the 10th sun medal, and dark hand/kill NPCs and kindle all bonfires. 35 hours in so far.

The gargoyle halbred is a rare drop but it also kicks ass....can't remember how it upgrades though.....

really nifty PvE weapon that. Upgrades like a regular weapon: I have a +10 Fire Gargloyle's Halberd on one character that saw me through to ng++. It's a liitle bit long in the tooth now so I'm probably going to replace it with a Chaos version since I have 3 or four of them.

soultron

Banned
Parried and riposted Black Knight Sauron to death. Victory is mine! Finally out of the Undead Burg!

The Taurus Demon was honestly easy after fighting the Black Knight. (I still freaked out when I found another BK at the top of a stair case in the Undead Parish, however!)

Explored to Dark Root Basin. This game is massive.

mxgt

Banned
really nifty PvE weapon that. Upgrades like a regular weapon: I have a +10 Fire Gargloyle's Halberd on one character that saw me through to ng++. It's a liitle bit long in the tooth now so I'm probably going to replace it with a Chaos version since I have 3 or four of them.

Yeah I used a fully upgraded Lightning Garg Halberd and it lasted me for ages. Really solid weapon.

PC version was apparently fully confirmed in PC Action magazine: titled Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition. Has new bosses according to the poster on GAF who leaked it.

Guess I'll be double dipping. XD

EDIT: EvilLore confirmed the poster, it's 100% official now. Good times. :D

Ratrat

Was running around in Blighttown when this weird growth thing appeared on my head. Its pretty horrifying, how do I get rid of it?

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
Was running around in Blighttown when this weird growth thing appeared on my head. Its pretty horrifying, how do I get rid of it?

You caught a case of the egghead. You need an Egg Vermifuge to cure it. You can get them
by talking to Eingyi (he's the dude who hangs out with Quelaag's sister if you haven't been formally introduced yet), killing the egg-covered dudes that infected you until one of them drops one, killing the two-headed lizard things that hang on to the trees in the area of Darkroot with the stone knights, or finding one in the Painted World.

Once you get one use it and enjoy your newly egghead-free existence.

krakov

The move set is similar to that of a Claymore, but the R2's are completely useless. However, at 40 STR/DEX/INT/FAI the damage rating is around 640, split up between magic and physical. If you want to be super high level it's probably ok. It gets really boring to level up at around 150 though.

Ratrat

You caught a case of the egghead. You need an Egg Vermifuge to cure it. You can get them
by talking to Eingyi (he's the dude who hangs out with Quelaag's sister if you haven't been formally introduced yet), killing the egg-covered dudes that infected you until one of them drops one, killing the two-headed lizard things that hang on to the trees in the area of Darkroot with the stone knights, or finding one in the Painted World.

Once you get one use it and enjoy your newly egghead-free existence.

that sucks. suppose I'll just keep it then.

ixix

that sucks. suppose I'll just keep it then.

Until you cure it it's going to be taking half your souls, so it's really in your best interests to be getting rid of it sooner rather than later. It's not really all that hard to get your hands on a vermifuge,
Eingyi
will just straight up give you one no prob if you talk to him with it on your head and none of the drop rates for it are onerously low.

Unless you just want to keep it as an avant-garde fashion statement. Fashion trends are nothing if not cyclical and inscrutable, after all. Hold onto it long enough and you'll no doubt find yourself the belle of the ball eventually.

Fought 2 bosses today. The buttefly boss in the forest was silly. Bosses in this game shouldn't give you such an obvious opportunity to attack. It would be okay if you have to attack the thing a bunch, then it roars in pain and crashes down in front of you, but instead it just randomly decides that landing next to you and not doing anything is a good idea.

Then fought Quelaag and that wasn't silly at all. That was pretty rough. The explosive attack it does was pretty much always a one hit kill. Then I got hit with it as I was about 3-4 hits away from winning. For some reason I survived the attack that time, with like half a millimeter of lifebar left. The "Ohshitohfuckpleasepleaseplease" moments that followed were amazing. Haven't experienced that level of tension in a game since...well, since Demon's Souls.

Also, I am still using the longsword I got in the beginning of the game. It's +8 now, but I don't like at all how some other weapons I randomly find in the environment have a higher attack power without any upgrades. I don't want to switch the longsword out because I am so used to the way it handles that losing the quick swings and the thrust attack is something I don't want to do if possible. Can someone point me towards a weapon that handles similiarly to the longsword, but the first blacksmith can upgrade it to be more powerful?

Ratrat

Until you cure it it's going to be taking half your souls, so it's really in your best interests to be getting rid of it sooner rather than later. It's not really all that hard to get your hands on a vermifuge,
Eingyi
will just straight up give you one no prob if you talk to him with it on your head and none of the drop rates for it are onerously low.

Unless you just want to keep it as an avant-garde fashion statement. Fashion trends are nothing if not cyclical and inscrutable, after all. Hold onto it long enough and you'll no doubt find yourself the belle of the ball eventually.

huh, didn't know about halving the souls thing. Hadn't actually met
Eingyi
yet but seems simple enough. Thanks for the advice!

ixix

huh, didn't know about halving the souls thing. Hadn't actually met
Eingyi
yet but seems simple enough. Thanks for the advice!

If you haven't found him yet he's
behind a secret wall in the room directly underneath the second bell. It's the same room that has the entrance to the Demon Ruins. Just start smacking walls and you'll find it in short order. Do note that Eingyi looks like an enemy, so don't attack him. When he asks you a question say yes, then talk to him again and he should tell you your head looks terrible and give you a vermifuge. Talking to him with an egg on your head will also cause him to expand his inventory of items to sell you, and he'll give you a Pyromancy Flame if you don't already have one. Or sometimes he'll give you a second one even if you already have one. He's unpredictable that way.

Since he looks like an enemy a lot of people kill him on their first playthrough. I'm pretty certain that either he or Laurentius is the most frequently killed NPC in the game.

Mike M

Nick N
Fought 2 bosses today. The buttefly boss in the forest was silly. Bosses in this game shouldn't give you such an obvious opportunity to attack. It would be okay if you have to attack the thing a bunch, then it roars in pain and crashes down in front of you, but instead it just randomly decides that landing next to you and not doing anything is a good idea.

Then fought Quelaag and that wasn't silly at all. That was pretty rough. The explosive attack it does was pretty much always a one hit kill. Then I got hit with it as I was about 3-4 hits away from winning. For some reason I survived the attack that time, with like half a millimeter of lifebar left. The "Ohshitohfuckpleasepleaseplease" moments that followed were amazing. Haven't experienced that level of tension in a game since...well, since Demon's Souls.

Also, I am still using the longsword I got in the beginning of the game. It's +8 now, but I don't like at all how some other weapons I randomly find in the environment have a higher attack power without any upgrades. I don't want to switch the longsword out because I am so used to the way it handles that losing the quick swings and the thrust attack is something I don't want to do if possible. Can someone point me towards a weapon that handles similiarly to the longsword, but the first blacksmith can upgrade it to be more powerful?

Eh, don't think there's any plain weapon that handles like a long sword that is more powerful upon picking it up. Maybe the Drake Sword, but that levels off right about where you're at, so why bother...

I would hang onto it a smidge longer, but upgrade it to level 10 and then take it over to lightning in Anor Londo, which it doesn't sound like you're two far away from.

Alternately, keep the lightning spear in Sen's Fortress as your primary lightning weapon, and perhaps bum rush the Catacombs (Unless you happen to have a divine weapon, that makes it considerably eadier) to try and make it to Vamos to upgrade your long sword to fire.

Tons of enemies vulnerable to lightning, and a fire weapon/fire attacks in general will be extremely helpful against one particular guy in Anor Londo. If you don't want to risk the catacombs, Queelag's Furysword is good too.

Soulhouf

I just noticed that the Server weapon changes it's HP drain depending on the upgrade.
Fire/Chaos: HP drained on foe death
Every other upgrade (I guess): HP drained on each swing.

2AdEPT

I have always enjoyed this weapon and MUST have a spearing jab attack in my moveset in both early demon's and early dark, but The spears being able to duck behind shields and still thrust is a great one for noobs and turtles like me alike!I believe the astora shortsword has a similar move set to longsword....this will be a great weapon for you if you decide ot go with faith later in the game into NG+'s, and at very least will be useful to you in the catacombs as it is divine and kills the skellies permanently right off thebat. However........

These weapons are smaller, so it makes sense that they don't pack a punch.....they are slower than katanas for speed, yet their power is much less and their reach is abysmal. I would suggest trying to get out of your comfort zone and try other weapons.... the furysword was mentioned, and it is decent....the rapiers have jab motions but almost rely soley on this motion which isn't great by me and the reach sucks....their backstab damage is hard ot beat though if you like dat. You would have ot go dex or elemental for the speed weapons to work for you though......the demon's spear is UBER what you get out of the r2 attack on longsword .....not only is the reach 3 to 4 times longer, but it knocks over any enemy without high poise....timed right, you can also DUCK under enemy swings. Highly underrated weapon and even comes with free lightning. The negatives of this weapon are teh fact that itis a chance drop to find, (white gargoyles) and upgrading is with demon titanite which is rare and competes with other weapons that require it, but each weapon has good and bad points.

I just noticed that the Server weapon changes it's HP drain depending on the upgrade.
Fire/Chaos: HP drained on foe death
Every other upgrade (I guess): HP drained on each swing.

learn something new everyday......incidentally this is a weapon that ventilator could try...doesn't have an R2 stab but the damage I imagine would be through the roof compared to longsowrd and still swings swiftly enough....also murakamo is a larger katana type. The only other middle of the road type weapon that might be similar to longsword movetype that I still see in later games is teh gravelord sword....you get it from the gravelord covenant and is accessible from the catacombs....it gives poison but isn't quite as powerful owing to that obviously beneficial side trait.

PC version was apparently fully confirmed in PC Action magazine: titled Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition. Has new bosses according to the poster on GAF who leaked it.

Guess I'll be double dipping. XD

EDIT: EvilLore confirmed the poster, it's 100% official now. Good times. :D

definitely a double dip....when will it likely be released?

edit: August

http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkai...pc-this-august-according-to-german-magazines/

I would suggest trying to get out of your comfort zone and try other weapons.....

I tried other weapons. I don't like them. I just came across the lightning spear and it's pretty much exactly what I wanted. I can do several quick jabs or a long-reaching thrust attack. It's also stronger than my longsword is, without even being upgraded yet. I'm kinda worried about it's lightningness though. Can't rely on it too much because what if I suddenly come across some lightning monster that renders it useless? I would have to switch to another weapon again, and we've established how much I'm not a fan of that :D

2AdEPT

I tried other weapons. I don't like them. I just came across the lightning spear and it's pretty much exactly what I wanted. I can do several quick jabs or a long-reaching thrust attack. It's also stronger than my longsword is, without even being upgraded yet. I'm kinda worried about it's lightningness though. Can't rely on it too much because what if I suddenly come across some lightning monster that renders it useless? I would have to switch to another weapon again, and we've established how much I'm not a fan of that :D

Nothing wrong with lightning spear...although I do suggest picking up a demon's spear as it is VERY similar to the regular spear....but has the benefits I mentioned above for certain situations....if you really don't like anything else, just get your longsword switched over to fire and you are set for the ONE creature/boss that is resistant to lightning. Lightning is OP in Dark PVE ...plain and simple....although +15 weapons with buffs will over power you for PVP.

Soulhouf

The negatives of this weapon are teh fact that itis a chance drop to find, (white gargoyles) and upgrading is with demon titanite which is rare and competes with other weapons that require it, but each weapon has good and bad points.

You can buy it from Shiva in Blighttown.
This was my favorite weapon in my first run and it was pretty powerful since I used all demon's titanite I found to upgrade it. It was stronger than the lightning spear when I found it and yet the demon spear has better reach, better move set and have a scaling in spite of the lightning damage.
Highly recommended weapon for new comers.

Mike M

Nick N

Spears and spear variants are a dime a dozen, grab one to upgrade to fire/chaos, and one for pure physical, and you're set for life.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Purposely cursed myself (I have 3 purging stones so i can uncurse myself later) and im now going through New Londo Ruins fighting the ghosts, etc...i just drained the water so now i get to proceed further down through this area. Im at over 50 hrs on my first playthrough and i still havent finished the main story. Just love this game to death!!!

Purposely cursed myself (I have 3 purging stones so i can uncurse myself later) and im now going through New Londo Ruins fighting the ghosts, etc...i just drained the water so now i get to proceed further down through this area. Im at over 50 hrs on my first playthrough and i still havent finished the main story. Just love this game to death!!!

Woah, I had no idea you could attack ghosts when cursed. New Londo has been stressing me out lately so I am gonna go get cursed before trying it again. Thanks!

Mike M

Nick N
Woah, I had no idea you could attack ghosts when cursed. New Londo has been stressing me out lately so I am gonna go get cursed before trying it again. Thanks!

Alternately, you can use a Transitive Curse for about 5 minutes of cursed status without the HP penalty (I think there are some before the ghosts, and it is occasionally dropped by ghosts), or use a cursed weapon like the Jagged Ghost Blade (Another ghost drop).

You can only *block* with a shield while using the Transitive Curse, otherwise you have to two hand and block with your cursed weapon

Yeah I spent quite awhile cursed without realizing this. I had made the female undead merchant mad so I couldn't buy the purging stone from her, and I hadn't realized that there was someone who had appeared at the first bell tower......which I also then found out that I had "sinned" by accidently attacking the aforementioned female mechant, and that this same dude could absolve my sins. During this process I did got back to New Londo cursed and got my ass kicked, haha. Still weighing whether I should be cursed the next time I go back, or just stock up on transitive curses.....

Definitely just stock up on Transitive Curses. You don't actually need that many of them as the ghosts tend to drop 2 of them all the time and you can find some them in chests there too.

Plus theres a merchant that sells them in the midpoint of NLR. You'd have to be nuts to actually get cursed while going down there. The ghosts will rip you to peaces.

Definitely just stock up on Transitive Curses. You don't actually need that many of them as the ghosts tend to drop 2 of them all the time and you can find some them in chests there too.

Plus theres a merchant that sells them in the midpoint of NLR. You'd have to be nuts to actually get cursed while going down there. The ghosts will rip you to peaces.

I've definitely been leaning towards following through with a decent stock of transitive curses. The reason I was considering just going in cursed was because I am a lot(like double) as powerful weapon-wise, as well as vit, end, etc. than I was the last time. Thanks for the tips about ghosts dropping them and the merchant, as I never made it that far in to know about those.

P.S. What episode of The Simpsons is your avatar pic from?

2AdEPT

You can buy it from Shiva in Blighttown.
This was my favorite weapon in my first run and it was pretty powerful since I used all demon's titanite I found to upgrade it. It was stronger than the lightning spear when I found it and yet the demon spear has better reach, better move set and have a scaling in spite of the lightning damage.
Highly recommended weapon for new comers.

Forgot about shiva!!! I never needed it there my first playthrough I guess, but other charcters have likely got it there for sure......I am going to have to stop giving advice, put witcher 2 on hold and get back into Dark to stay relevant. I have three differnt builds that are waiting for whatever i feel like past ringing the bells which I stopped working on to trySkyrim...not even halfway through skyrim I got the itch for something new and bought a new laptop and am doing withcher 2. I will stop playing witcher when I get to act three so perhaps more dark souls is imminent! Can't wait for the Dark PC though.

genjiZERO

So in my first playthrough I only played offline. I was thinking about going through game+ doing all the covenant stuff. I'm about Soul Level 130.... Would it be more fun to start a new man and play online at weaker levels or play with higher level players?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom