• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT4| Victory achieved for Scamco, text defeated

Status
Not open for further replies.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
So any advice for PvP?

I played Demon Souls but barely had a few PvP encounters and since is more common now in Dark Souls since I got the game sooner I'm getting my ass kicked in the forest by blue phantoms...

Avoid the forest is the best PvP tip. Unless you make a build specifically for killing forest farmers !

M.D

I'm on PS3 at SL34 - can anyone spare me an unupgraded Pyromancy Flame? After seeing Epicnamebro's video I'd love to play around with Power Within on my current build but my +5 Queelana flame drains my health way too fast and I don't want to head into NG+ just to get one

Where are you at the game? You can get one a couple of hours into the game

I could give you one, but I'm SL136, and I don't know of a way we can meet

maomaoIYP

Avoid the forest is the best PvP tip. Unless you make a build specifically for killing forest farmers !

Magic works great for that.
I started the evening with a few rounds in Undead Parish, people bowed, was 1 on 1 fights fair and square. Then I moved onto the forest, the very first match the host casted twop, then one shot backstabbed me. Fucking forest assholes.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Is there sa good place to farm large titanite shards?

Just farm souls and then buy them.

So I should complete the section going hollow?

I'll go later then.

If you don't require boss help then it's probably the best choice as the forest is probably the premier invading area at the moment.

I started the evening with a few rounds in Undead Parish, people bowed, was 1 on 1 fights fair and square. Then I moved onto the forest, the very first match the host casted twop, then one shot backstabbed me. Fucking forest assholes.

Yeah, mostly jerks, which is why it's so fun to invade them!

I found 2 places:

- Depths, the hallway right after the bonfire, kill the blobs.

- Lower Blightown, the swamp zone, look for the area that is filled with slugs.

Blightown is annoying because you have to deal with poison (no that bad if you have Miracle) and mosquitos, but I found that the drop rate seems higher.

Soulhouf

What's wrong with casting twop? Is that also banned in PvP?

M.D

Man, everytime someone asks a question and I know the answer I feel bad becuase I know I probably read it on wiki.

I've read so much about this game and even ruined entire areas for myself. I'm such an idiot. It blew my mind when someome a few pages back said he just discovred Ash Lake (Or Great Hollow?) on his second playthrough. But then again, I know there are tons of things I would probably have never found if I hadn't read about them.

I'm going to play Demon's Souls and whatever Souls game comes out after just reading the very basic, must-know things.

Soulhouf

I'm going to play Demon's Souls and whatever Souls game comes out after just reading the very basic, must-know things.

You don't need anything besides world/character tendency now that you played Dark Souls.
You're familiar with the mechanics so beat the game the 1st time without checking the wiki at all and come back after to check what you did miss.
If you read only the basics, you'll be tempted to read more. So, from the beginning avoid the wiki.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
He was camping right at the darkwraith spawn point. He was already halfway through the animation before I could even move. Does that sound like fun to you?

Well to be fair, not sure why you would go to the forest looking for legitimate PvP.

Soulhouf

He was camping right at the darkwraith spawn point. He was already halfway through the animation before I could even move. Does that sound like fun to you?

Of course not. So twop is not the problem, it's this player's asshole behavior witch is the problem.

joelseph

Just buy them, it's a whole lot easier and faster. The merchant on top of Sen's and the Anor Londo blacksmith sell them.

I will but I am not there yet. Just finished The Depths and have my side sword up to +6. Guess I will bite the bullet and move through Blightown. THanks again for the help.

M.D

You don't need anything besides world/character tendency now that you played Dark Souls.
You're familiar with the mechanics so beat the game the 1st time without checking the wiki at all and come back after to check what you did miss.
If you read only the basics, you'll be tempted to read more. So, from the beginning avoid the wiki.

I don't want to derail this thread, so I'll just ask about those things in the DS FAQ when I order the game. I'm not sure when I'll want to play it, since I'm 170 hours into Dark Souls and still enjoying the hell out of it, and I'm not planning to stop anytime soon.

16 souvenirs of reprisal so far this morning. Let us continue this exposé.

I wish I could get so many :p
I did plenty of invasions yesterday and only got 3. Still need to get better at PVP.

I'm thinking about what to do with my next char, which I'll start very soon. I thought I'll make a faith based charactr, but I just don't find most of the miracles useful except for the buff miracles

I'm sure healing comes in handy when you don't have 20 flasks at any time, but you can get that with just 12 faith. I think I'll invest in INT, but what about other stats? STR or DEX? I'm at 46 with this character, and it's awesome, but I only have 22 DEX, and I feel I'm missing out on most DEX scaling weapons.

How often do you usually use your spells with an INT build? I can't imagine you use a spell on every enemy, so you have to balance that with a weapon.

Canova

Banned
I don't want to derail this thread, so I'll just ask about those things in the DS FAQ when I order the game. I'm not sure when I'll want to play it, since I'm 170 hours into Dark Souls and still enjoying the hell out of it, and I'm not planning to stop anytime soon.

I did plenty of invasions yesterday and only got 3. Still need to get better at PVP.

I'm thinking about what to do with my next char, which I'll start very soon. I thought I'll make a faith based charactr, but I just don't find most of the miracles useful except for the buff miracles

I'm sure healing comes in handy when you don't have 20 flasks at any time, but you can get that with just 12 faith. I think I'll invest in INT, but what about other stats? STR or DEX? I'm at 46 with this character, and it's awesome, but I only have 22 DEX, and I feel I'm missing out on most DEX scaling weapons.

How often do you usually use your spells with an INT build? I can't imagine you use a spell on every enemy, so you have to balance that with a weapon.

DEX has a few S-Scaling weapons. But you really have to have melee-based character to appreciate Dark Souls beautiful combat mechanic.

You can even have 2 types melee character one with shield and one without shield. ONe with shield is DEX based, and one without shield is STR based for example, since most STR-based weapons are heavy so going shieldless makes more sense, you so only rely on rolling and step-backs

and don't forget to pad 99 humanities on your shield-less character, it increases your defense tremendously

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
What should I do with my Titanite Slab? Balder Side Sword +15?

If you use it enough, sure!

Meh, it's a total gimmick build specifically meant to invade people in the forest or anor londo trying to farm. Up to 22, lol.

Guevara

WA1A7.jpg

This is definitely the elite knight helm.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
There's nothing wrong with somebody using Estus during an invasion. If you object to your opponents using Estus you should be engaging in duels, not invasions.
You don't get souveniers of reprisal from duels otherwise I would.
This is why you need to keep constant pressure on weak opponents. If they go to heal you should be right next to them to punish with a backstab, after you backstab throw a Lloyd's talisman and keep on pressuring, maybe back up a little to see if they will foolishly try to heal, then punish that
Thank you for the advice. I had some good duels with a guy in Anor Londo the other day, lost twice but then won my third.

Trying to grind to get the Darkmoon Blade miracle feels like it takes forever.

Do you get the talisman at the same time?

That some players use invasions for ad-hoc duels doesn't mean that any particular invasion victim is going to see it that way
Another thing that you need to keep in mind that you didn't address is the fact that newbies and inexperienced players aren't the ones who are getting Darkmoon invaded. People who are darkwraithes and have engaged in player killing or sinning of their own accord are the ones who get slotted for invasions, thus they are putting themselves in that situation by choosing to attack other players. It isn't the same as a Darkwraith invading some poor unprepared soul. These are sinners that are being punished for their transgressions.

Mike M

Nick N
Darkmoon seems like a conceptual mess. Being under the Patronage of Gwyndolin, their mandate to hunt down people who made Anor Londo go dark makes perfect sense, basically analogous to the Forest Hunters.

But they also hunt down sinners and the indicted, despite every scrap of lore in the game saying that is the purview of Velka, the Goddess of Sin, whom we never really learn much about.

Between this, the really messed up implementation of the Gravelord Coveneant, and the absolutely useless Way of the White, the covenant system could really have used some more time in the oven...

Guevara

Darkmoon seems like a conceptual mess. Being under the Patronage of Gwyndolin, their mandate to hunt down people who made Anor Londo go dark makes perfect sense, basically analogous to the Forest Hunters.

But they also hunt down sinners and the indicted, despite every scrap of lore in the game saying that is the purview of Velka, the Goddess of Sin, whom we never really learn much about.

Between this, the really messed up implementation of the Gravelord Coveneant, and the absolutely useless Way of the White, the covenant system could really have used some more time in the oven...

Apparently Oswald of Carim (belltower guy) was supposed to have his own covenant based on killing sinner for Velka but it was cut. Would have made sense.

Mike M

Nick N
Apparently Oswald of Carim (belltower guy) was supposed to have his own covenant based on killing sinner for Velka but it was cut. Would have made sense.

That doesn't surprise me in the least, I actually quite suspected that.

It would be awesome if that was completed and put into the PC version/Potential DLC update. Which of course it wouldn't, since it would fracture the user base something crazy.

Soulhouf

They could release a Dark Souls Directors Cut or something with a massive gameplay balance and the original ideas that were cut/changed.

maomaoIYP

Of course not. So twop is not the problem, it's this player's asshole behavior witch is the problem.

I disagree. It's a combination of both, easily abusable mechanics will be abused. If twop only increased encumbrance it would already be incredibly powerful, by stripping victims of their ability to even turn to face their opponents is equivalent to a win button.

dosh

Between this, the really messed up implementation of the Gravelord Coveneant

If I remember correctly, some guys over at GF did a Gravelord event a few months ago: anybody interested had to join the covenant and drop eyes of death in the Depths at a certain time.
I went there hoping I would get a Gravelrod mark on the ground, but never saw anything. That showed how badly this covenant was implemented. Quite sad, because the concept behind it was really interesting.

2AdEPT

Learn to multi-quote and edit in responses if your the last post. Double and Triple posts are poor forum etiquette.

is there an easy way to do this? or are people just typing quote tags in themselves?

There's a Quote link under every's name, the plus sign allows you to quote multiple posts at once.

thanks....I couldn't get the order I wanted but I will get it eventually....

They are for sale at a vendor in sen's fortress, so put your sign down to help out on iron golem, while you wait, put on covetous ring and farm the large knight along the side wall just going up toward Ricard...you will get a few extra from him...fight golem spend all souls on goodies, rinse repeat. You will have more large shards than you will know what to do with!!

Man, everytime someone asks a question and I know the answer I feel bad becuase I know I probably read it on wiki. I'm going to play Demon's Souls and whatever Souls game comes out after just reading the very basic, must-know things.
yeah this is a tough balance....I refuse to ban wikis totally, as there is just too much information necessary to make the game smooth enough that its not frustrating...like how to upgrade and what the stats on weapopns are etc. For Demon's, you can sample each world without killing the boss, learn what items you want to bring to each fight and finish levels appropriately....but unlike Dark though you will be forced to kill preliminary bosses in each world to get to the end boss....something that was a HUGE improvement on Dark and hence the reason I will not use a wiki for stage progression decisions...these are obviously best reserved for one's self. Demon's ended up haviing a recommended level progression based on items....and it was pretty much the same for everyone, e.g. being able to use the 2.2 blacksmith to use boss souls for weapons is needed ASAP plus dragon sword from 2.2 was the best early game weapon to bring to
4.1 as the enemies are weak to fire,
and any magic user would best want to do 3.1 early to
get spices for mana
....and since almost everyone playing demon's used at least some magic/faith, this set at least an early game order that really was better for everyone.

I agree with those that say that FROM best have predicted this....the game is so hard to balance with so many covenants etc, but I want ALL those options...to me, I can suffer a bit with fog ring and TWOP type stuff that can be fixed with patches but do not wan tthem to decrease the magnitude and choices for covenants etc. I fathom the balance is the reason it would be hard to have too many DLC things added....but ironically if they did screw up perhaps a DLC that would fix the imbalance might be something to consider.

I thought it was pretty much a forgone conclusion that it was Dark Souls PC version?
I just got a laptop that can handle medium ratings for witcher 2.....Dark on PC would be just a amazing....I hope you are right....but where as cdproject red has been surprising me pleasantly. FROM, and more specifically Namco, has been upsetting me with their media relations.

Booshka

Meh, it's a total gimmick build specifically meant to invade people in the forest or anor londo trying to farm. Up to 22, lol.

I'm doing this as a Forest Hunter, leveling as much as I want, using gimmicky cheap shit (Great Lord Greatsword stunlock, WoG, 77 Poise, Mother Mask) I don't give a fuck, just breaking up high level parties of people farming. It's nice when I win 2v1 by running like crazy drawing them to enemies then going all battle royale. Also love seeing real low players that just stumbled into the covenant get carried to wins and get 40-100K souls because they just happened to be there when I was killing shit.

I invaded someone who had been Gravelorded, he had this one Black Phantom baby mushroom chasing him all over the level, it made it much easier for me to backstab him.

M.D

So, this is kind of dumb question....

I'm going to make weapons to get all the weapon trophies - I need some advice for weapons beside normal and lighting

I'm not sure if I'll really upgrade them (I have enough resources to actually make them), or use the very useful bug/glitch WOWbagger showed so you don't actually have to waste resources and still get the trophy

What are some good weapons to upgrade in each category? After playing 170 hours of this game I know there aren't "best" weapons, and it depends on many different factors, but what are some generally well-accepted weapons in each upgrade category?

And again, if someone has a spare Darkmoon Bow/Soul of Gwyndolin, I'll be glad to have it.
I can give something in return, if you need anything as well. Playing on PS3, SL136.

PvP just wasn't going well for me this morning. Got about 5 invasions in the Burg as a Darkmoon and only won one. I could only beat the non-Japanese guy who wasn't lagging so bad that he could walk directly through both my sword swing and me, and follow up with a backstab.

Still need 5 more wins as a Darkmoon. Don't really want to farm Harpies but it may come to that.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
PvP just wasn't going well for me this morning. Got about 5 invasions in the Burg as a Darkmoon and only won one. I could only beat the non-Japanese guy who wasn't lagging so bad that he could walk directly through both my sword swing and me, and follow up with a backstab.

Still need 5 more wins as a Darkmoon. Don't really want to farm Harpies but it may come to that.

5 more until what? +1?

Booshka

I'm going to make weapons to get all the weapon trophies - I need some advice for weapons beside normal and lighting

I'm not sure if I'll really upgrade them (I have enough resources to actually make them), or use the very useful bug/glitch WOWbagger showed so you don't actually have to waste resources and still get the trophy

What are some good weapons to upgrade in each category? After playing 170 hours of this game I know there aren't "best" weapons, and it depends on many different factors, but what are some generally well-accepted weapons in each upgrade category?

And again, if someone has a spare Darkmoon Bow/Soul of Gwyndolin, I'll be glad to have it.
I can give something in return, if you need anything as well. Playing on PS3, SL136.

Any weapon that doesn't have good Str/Dex scaling but has a good moveset and decent range is good to take elemental. Fire/Chaos/Lightning are good for any weapon with bad scaling. Divine/Occult are good for high Faith scaling, and Enchanted/Magic are good for high Intelligence scaling, make sure the weapon you upgrade has at least B scaling in the respective magic, if not A scaling. It's all about the moveset and range though, don't upgrade a Shortsword or Handaxe, upgrade weapons you would actually use outside of the starting areas.

5 more until what? +1?

Yeah, should have been more specific. I just have that covenant and the Sunbros left. And I already have 8 Sunlight Medals, so I should only need two more.

What's a good place for a level 68 character to engage in jolly cooperation? I need one coop victory to join the Sunbros.

Guevara

I just upgraded my lightning spear from Sens to +5 for the lightning trophy

I'm thinking of making a Balder Straight Sword +15 because I love the move set; that would be the strongest weapon trophy

For a fire weapon I was planning on making something small, basically for sewer and/or corridor fights (those enemies tend to be weak to fire). I tried a fire long sword and it's fun, not sure if I'll take that to +5.

I also made a divine winged spear +5 which one-shots skeles; bit of a waste but another trophy

Raw and Crystal just seem like a total waste of materials to me so I'll probably do those last.

I just upgraded my lightning spear from Sens to +5 for the lightning trophy

I'm thinking of making a Balder Straight Sword +15 because I love the move set; that would be the strongest weapon trophy

For a fire weapon I was planning on making something small, basically for sewer and/or corridor fights (those enemies tend to be weak to fire). I tried a fire long sword and it's fun, not sure if I'll take that to +5.

I also made a divine winged spear +5 which one-shots skeles; bit of a waste but another trophy

If you're going for trophies, be sure to exit the game using the XMB right after a weapon trophy pops. Don't press any other button after you get a weapon to max level. When you reload you'll have the trophy and all of your upgrade catalysts intact. Especially the slab.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom