• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT4| Victory achieved for Scamco, text defeated

Status
Not open for further replies.
...So for the King's Field oldschoolers like myself out there, I just thought about the fact that the "Black Dragon" boss is very likely Guyra. They already have Seath, the Moonlight Sword and reference Lyn with Siegmeyer's nickname for his daughter Sieglinde.

I love you guys, From Soft. :D

Booshka

So in my first playthrough I only played offline. I was thinking about going through game+ doing all the covenant stuff. I'm about Soul Level 130.... Would it be more fun to start a new man and play online at weaker levels or play with higher level players?

Start a new character when you play online, you can try out a new build, experience all low level has to offer and you will get a lot more activity. You're first character probably has poorly allocated stats, so you can start anew and perfect the stats, you can turn it into a PvP character if you want. Starting new characters is always more fun than leveling one past 130, it gets tedious, the activity is markedly lower and the gains are minimal.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
the whole getting lifted by demons to anor londo, gives me such a "shit, we don't have time for an area that connects sen's fortress to anor londo". looks like such a cop out to me, those same guys attack you later in anor londo, so I don't really understand.

the whole getting lifted by demons to anor londo, gives me such a "shit, we don't have time for an area that connects sen's fortress to anor londo". looks like such a cop out to me, those same guys attack you later in anor londo, so I don't really understand.

might be a homage to Demon's Souls. Same thing happens.

genjiZERO

Start a new character when you play online, you can try out a new build, experience all low level has to offer and you will get a lot more activity. You're first character probably has poorly allocated stats, so you can start anew and perfect the stats, you can turn it into a PvP character if you want. Starting new characters is always more fun than leveling one past 130, it gets tedious, the activity is markedly lower and the gains are minimal.

Thanks a lot. The few matches I've played online I've done fairly well in with my character. I'd say I win about 50% if the time, but I'd like to play with more basic weapons. I know what you mean about levelling. I think my online stats may be ok though- I've got a Dex/End build - I can get a poise of over 100 and still be able to move fairly quickly. The one thing I've noticed about fighting online is that the Uchigatana I used as my main weapon throughout most of the game is a little too slow. I think I need to build up a rapier and use that. Something a bit more "jabbier". But I'll have to play through half the game again to get the embers so I can upgrade it all the way.... so it really might just be better to star over with a new character.

might be a homage to Demon's Souls. Same thing happens.

Yeah that's what I thought it was too.

Booshka

Thanks a lot. The few matches I've played online I've done fairly well in with my character. I'd say I win about 50% if the time, but I'd like to play with more basic weapons. I know what you mean about levelling. I think my online stats may be ok though- I've got a Dex/End build - I can get a poise of over 100 and still be able to move fairly quickly. The one thing I've noticed about fighting online is that the Uchigatana I used as my main weapon throughout most of the game is a little too slow. I think I need to build up a rapier and use that. Something a bit more "jabbier". But I'll have to play through half the game again to get the embers so I can upgrade it all the way.... so it really might just be better to star over with a new character.

Make a 40 Dex build for Scaling and use the Balder Side Sword and Ricard's Rapier, both weapons have great thrust attacks and excellent movesets. Estoc is good as well, but it doesn't scale too well.

LOZLINK

Can someone tell me how the fuck to beat ornstein and smough? I'm rocking a Dragon Crest +3 shield and Lightning Spear +3

Booshka

Can someone tell me how the fuck to beat ornstein and smough? I'm rocking a Dragon Crest +3 shield and Lightning Spear +3

You should have both the Eagle Shield and the Crystal Halberd, if you do switch to those two and block, then attack while using the pillars to separate you from there attacks. Only try to damage one at a time, while you avoid the other one. You can summon help from other players or Solaire, he is in the room right before the boss fight on one of the switchback staricases.

LOZLINK

You should have both the Eagle Shield and the Crystal Halberd, if you do switch to those two and block, then attack while using the pillars to separate you from there attacks. Only try to damage one at a time, while you avoid the other one. You can summon help from other players or Solaire, he is in the room right before the boss fight on one of the switchback staricases.

lmao summoned a player + solaire, both died leaving me for dead. Should I rock light, mid or heavy armor?

Zertez

Playing online with a new character isnt a lot of fun now, unless you are very experienced with the game or have most of the nice gear in game. I think out of the 30 plus times Ive been invaded now, only once did the person have on similar gear.(SL 53 atm) The rest of the time it is people with the best gear who played through the game without raising their stats. I get one shotted every time, not by a backstab either. My spells do little to them as well. Im use to dying playing the game, so I dont mind dying. Having next to no chance against a bunch of griefers is why I stay in hollow form. On the flip side, I have met a bunch of helpful people playing co-op. Sucks that you cant co-op unless you are in human form, but that opens you up to invasion.

2AdEPT

So in my first playthrough I only played offline. I was thinking about going through game+ doing all the covenant stuff. I'm about Soul Level 130.... Would it be more fun to start a new man and play online at weaker levels or play with higher level players?

defintely start over.

Beat the game. My final thoughts are that it's overall a better game than Demon's Souls, though I feel Demon's had better bosses. My problem with Dark's bosses was that many of them felt simply like oversized regular enemies, with some of them even becoming regular enemies later in the game. Demon's mixed it up with human-type bosses (Penetrator, Allant, Old Monk), environmental bosses (Adjudicator, Astrea, Tower Knight), and gimmick bosses (Dragon God, Storm King). Most of Dark's bosses were simply "you're in a big mostly flat room. there's a fatty over there. beat him up."

Dark Souls's bosses occasionally had their moments. Four Kings had a cool time-sensitive element that encouraged a specific playstyle (tanking) and Ornstein/Smough was an unexpected handicap encounter that was epic all around. Quelaag had a cool area denial aspect but like so many other bosses, it came down to just strafing behind her and beating her senseless. Same with Nito. His whole gimmick is negated with divine weapons so it turns into yet another circle strafe slugfest.

The bosses in Dark Souls were plenty fun to fight, they just didn't feel as varied or memorable as in Demon's. I consider Demon's to have one of, if not the best group of bosses in any game to date so I was pretty disappointed by Dark in this regard.

But enough about bosses. I feel that damn near everything else was greatly improved. The seamless world was brilliant and I felt the difficulty was better paced this time around. Capra was really the only exception to that, feeling out of place in an otherwise-smooth curve. The shortcuts were clever, along with the rest of the level design. Visuals are much improved from Demon's.

I have to talk about the audio. It's meaty. Like, real meaty. When something happens right in front of you, you hear it all around you. Shit booms. I was playing in Sen's Fortress near the boulder area with my room's window open. There was howling wind outside. I honestly had to get up and close my window because the sound of the wind, enemy noises, mechanical sounds, and of course the boulder's audio made the aural experience too oppressive. The audio team for this game deserves a ton of praise.

Great game overall. I still don't think it would have beaten Arkham City for my #1 last year, but it would have definitely been number 2. I'm in new game+ right now, played for about 2 hours and I already beat Stray Demon, Taurus, and the Gargoyles. The game is flying by. I only have the weapons and dark ending trophy to go I believe. Need to beat the game again then beat Sif in NG++ for the final boss soul.

Fun experience.

Soulhouf

...So for the King's Field oldschoolers like myself out there, I just thought about the fact that the "Black Dragon" boss is very likely Guyra. They already have Seath, the Moonlight Sword and reference Lyn with Siegmeyer's nickname for his daughter Sieglinde.

I love you guys, From Soft. :D
Wow you're right.
Please From, we need a console version as well T_T

soultron

Banned
This dude is like having a boxing match with someone 3 feet taller than you are.

titanite_demon.jpg

Dat reach. Destroyed him and got sweet crafting goods though.

I went back to the starting area (using the elavator in the Undead Parish) and thought I was in a brand new area... I was so spooked. Until I saw the guy who was all, "Stay away from me if you know what's good for you," and now since I'm a certified-BA, he's all, "Join my covenant, dude."

I don't use the magicz, dawg. Not yet, anyhow.

I explored around the graveyard in the starting area and those MFing skeletons (especially the HUGE ones) are tough mothers, mostly because of the tight quarters and the open cliffs. Do monsters in this game scale with your level?

I might see if I can bait one of those huge skeletons into jump-attacking off a cliff, but I don't want to lose the lewts they might drop.

I need to go back to the Undead Parish and kill that magic enemy with the big staff. His legion of weak trash mobs are proving to be quite the challenge in dealing with, however -- there are so many of them and I feel like he's giving them some kind of buff!

I fucking love this game.

I need to figure out how to lower my armour's weight. I'm wearing chain and plate stuff now, but I'm pushing well 60% of my equip load. I want to rework some leather armour pieces with titanite, so that I can move fast again, but I feel the trade off for their lower poise values means I'll be getting stunlocked more often. :c

This dude is like having a boxing match with someone 3 feet taller than you are.

titanite_demon.jpg

Dat reach. Destroyed him and got sweet crafting goods though.
I hate Titanite Demons. I grinded the spawning one later in the game and still got killed every now and then. There's one particular area with them that is just nightmare inducing.

I explored around the graveyard in the starting area and those MFing skeletons (especially the HUGE ones) are tough mothers, mostly because of the tight quarters and the open cliffs. Do monsters in this game scale with your level?

They don't, but most enemies except maybe regular hollow soldiers can be a threath all the way through the game if you aren't prepared

I need to figure out how to lower my armour's weight. I'm wearing chain and plate stuff now, but I'm pushing well 60% of my equip load. I want to rework some leather armour pieces with titanite, so that I can move fast again, but I feel the trade off for their lower poise values means I'll be getting stunlocked more often. :c

Definitely try to go under 50%. There are so small amount of events where a faster movement speed would be inferior to any amount of psychical defense / poise / etc. Rolling is pretty much always better choice than tanking damage from big enemies.

krakov

I wonder if the new bosses in the PC version will come with new areas. It would be kinda hard to just cram them into the world at it's current state I feel. Really hope they add this stuff to consoles as well.

soultron

Banned
I hate Titanite Demons. I grinded the spawning one later in the game and still got killed every now and then. There's one particular area with them that is just nightmare inducing.

The great thing about being in a boxing match with someone who's taller than you is that getting inside their reach usually means you can drop the hammer on them while they try to restore safe striking distance! :p

I find that if you get behind/between his non-staff (left) arm and his tail, you can safely lay a beatdown on him repeatedly, without getting hurt by any of his attacks. You just have to quickly close the gap, and return to that sweetspot, when he jumps backwards.

They don't, but most enemies except maybe regular hollow soldiers can be a threath all the way through the game if you aren't prepared

You're right! I find that most of the time it's the unfamiliarity with attack patterns that can kill you. I generally accept the fact that any unfamiliar enemy might be able to kill me in the first encounter if I don't take extra care to learn their patterns and how to bait them into either leaving their defense down or isolating their slowest attack that's able to be parried into a riposte.

Those large skeletons are hard to deal with mostly because there's no mobility afforded by the gravestones that crowd that area.

Definitely try to go under 50%. There are so small amount of events where a faster movement speed would be inferior to any amount of psychical defense / poise / etc. Rolling is pretty much always better choice than tanking damage from big enemies.

Great advice, thank you! I'll work on crafting my leather armour set to having base physical defense that's higher than the chain and plate stuff I have currently.
Thanks for the input!

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
I wonder if the new bosses in the PC version will come with new areas. It would be kinda hard to just cram them into the world at it's current state I feel. Really hope they add this stuff to consoles as well.

I don't recognize the area in the screenshots of the new bosses. I ain't exactly got a mind like a steel trap for that sort of thing, so I'm trotting around as one of my peeps right now to see if anyplace looks similar. None of the places I've checked have looked like the shots.

I don't recognize the area in the screenshots of the new bosses. I ain't exactly got a mind like a steel trap for that sort of thing, so I'm trotting around as one of my peeps right now to see if anyplace looks similar. None of the places I've checked have looked like the shots.

I am prettyyyy sure the black dragon is in the valley of drakes from the looks of it. The Lion must be in Darkroot.

I am prettyyyy sure the black dragon is in the valley of drakes from the looks of it. The Lion must be in Darkroot.

They both look to be in the same place (outdoor foresty area with yellow sky). Definitely not darkroot or valley. There's no room for anything in valley of drakes in the first place.

ixix

Neither the time of day or the style of tree matches Darkroot. That was the first area I checked. You can barely even see the sky from the Valley, let alone arrange a screenshot where it dominates the background. The closest existing skybox to the one in the shots seems to be in Anor Londo. None of my characters that I have at the moment have easy access to the garden in the Duke's Archive, and I haven't got the time to get one of them there today. Maybe somebody who can get there easier could check to see if any of the trees look similar to the ones in the shots. I doubt it, but leave no stone unturned and all.

Also worth noting that both the player character and the manticore guy are standing in water in one of the shots. Trees, collapsed masonry, water, and an orange skybox is the magic combo.

Yesterday I killed the Black Hydra, what a fight.

When you reach ash lake and you see it's frightening presence it's like:"OMG Why did I come here!?"

Just exploring the world is so much fun.

Is there any way to travel in the game?, some loctions are pretty far from each other.

soultron

Banned

When you reach ash lake and you see it's frightening presence it's like:"OMG Why did I come here!?"

Is there any way to travel in the game?, some loctions are pretty far from each other.

If it's the boss I think you're speaking of, it's so ominous when you first see the heads moving between the spaces in the treeline that surrounds the lake. That and all the crystal golems guarding the lake make it a zone you just don't want to enter!

They both look to be in the same place (outdoor foresty area with yellow sky). Definitely not darkroot or valley. There's no room for anything in valley of drakes in the first place.

Isn't there a huge ass door that can't be opened in VoD. Between the towers you get the Red Tearstone Ring or something.

ixix

My best guess about the location in the shots is that it's a reworked Darkroot. Everything fits except for the sky, even though there doesn't seem to be a direct analogue that I've found for the actual terrain. It's got the trees, the moss-covered stones, and it's a pretty wet place. This is assuming that early reports are accurate and we're not getting a whole new area, of course.

My best guess about the location in the shots is that it's a reworked Darkroot. Everything fits except for the sky, even though there doesn't seem to be a direct analogue that I've found for the actual terrain. It's got the trees, the moss-covered stones, and it's a pretty wet place. This is assuming that early reports are accurate and we're not getting a whole new area, of course.

It would also fit with the forest of darkness trademark.

ixix

It would also fit with the forest of darkness trademark.

There is that, amusing as it would be for the "Forest of Darkness" trademark to cover an expansion in which you can play Darkroot Forest during the day for once.

Mxrz

Surprised Demon's never gets enough credit for its level design. 2-2 and 4-2 are top notch.

Done Sen's so much I feel like i know the exact timing for running to the top without killing anything or stopping for more than a second. Running, running, roll, running, pause, block, running, Jump!

Not looked at the screenshots yet, but I could see them squeezing two bosses in here or there. Ashe Lake in particular could maybe use something beyond the Hydra and the Dragon God.

Canova

Banned

once you have
lordvessel
, you can warp between bonfires

MechaX

Blegh, can never connect with my friend and he has been playing the shit out of this game, so he's outpacing my new character. So bad to my NG+ INT Build I go.

But on that subject, for someone who decided to go for 50 INT (to use White Dragon Breath, which isn't that great), would it be better to use the Tin Crystallization Catalyst or just stick with Logan's Catalyst?

maomaoIYP

Blegh, can never connect with my friend and he has been playing the shit out of this game, so he's outpacing my new character. So bad to my NG+ INT Build I go.

But on that subject, for someone who decided to go for 50 INT (to use White Dragon Breath, which isn't that great), would it be better to use the Tin Crystallization Catalyst or just stick with Logan's Catalyst?

Are you a pure sorceror or doing a dex/str + int hybrid build?
If you're a hybrid and can afford to only rely on the occasional buff spell then tcc should suffice. The most powerful spells for pure sorcs have too little casts to rely on the tcc.

MechaX

Are you a pure sorceror or doing a dex/str + int hybrid build?
If you're a hybrid and can afford to only rely on the occasional buff spell then tcc should suffice. The most powerful spells for pure sorcs have too little casts to rely on the tcc.

I was rolling pure sorcerer with this character. With that in mind, I'll just stick to Logan's Catalyst for the cast amounts.

2AdEPT

I need to go back to the Undead Parish and kill that magic enemy with the big staff. His legion of weak trash mobs are proving to be quite the challenge in dealing with, however -- there are so many of them and I feel like he's giving them some kind of buff!
He is! NOt sure how you could have "sensed it" but when he dances with that trident it helps surounding enemies attack power iirc. You can get that shit later in Dukes archives and bring it to co-op fights....have tried it during a queelag co-op but couldn't be sure it worked. For the one in the PArish, just draw the mob down the stairs one at a time.
yeah most times its better to wear nothing than tank out with heavy armour. If you just consider a certain set unwearable until you can stay under 50% you will be better off. You can wear the wolf ring if you want a modest but noticeable increase in poise....you find it in the gardedn after that prowling demon. There is a free black leather set just before capra downstairs, and another free leather set in the garden so you can mix and match pieces to find the lightest combo; but by the time you ring the second bell there will be a tonne of light armour sets to choose from, most of which help with getting cursed or poisoned, and you will be constantly switching sets around as a result.

M.D

I think I'm going to start my new character tonight. At this point, I'm just doing PVP (Darkmoon) and can easily obtain the remaining trophies at any time with my current character.

I want to start a new character, and I'm pretty sure I want this to be a INT based character. I don't understand a whole lot about INT based characters in this game, so I want to know - Can there be an INT based character that is also suitable for PVP? I think most people would find using spells in PVP not so effective and also not an honorable fight.

There are probably buffs like Sunlight Blade or Darkmoon Blade for a sorcerer, and those I'm interested in for PVP. I also want to keep my SL ideal for PVPing, unlike this character which is SL136.

I would like help then to plan my INT+DEX/STR character. Being able to 1 hand almost any weapon in the game with 46 STR with this character, I would like to try out DEX.

Also, if someone is interested doing CO-OP, I would love to do the entire game as far as as I care! Love CO-OP :)

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
the moonlight sword scales with INT, so yeah I think an INT based chara is not bad for PVP.

Mike M

Nick N
There is that, amusing as it would be for the "Forest of Darkness" trademark to cover an expansion in which you can play Darkroot Forest during the day for once.

Darkroot already takes place during the day, you're just so deep down in a crevice and shrouded in mist that it's really dark. You can see the sun by looking up at the sky in several places.

M.D

the moonlight sword scales with INT, so yeah I think an INT based chara is not bad for PVP.

Yeah, I looked it up and there are a couple of weapons that scale pretty decently with INT plus I'll also DEX to fall on.

What is the recommended level for PVP? 80? 90? 100? I'm trying to make a build that will not get over that sweet spot where I can find plenty of PVP action, and I'm having a hard time.

I was thinking of doing something like this

SL97 - I hope this a good level for finding a lot of PVP action

VIT - 25 - Pretty low, I know.
ATT - 19 - 5 slots. I want more, but what can you do?
END - 30 - Seems pretty decent, and since this character will probably be lighter, I won't use my shield as much this time, and instead rely on rolling
STR - 16 for 2 handing heavy weapons in case I need to
DEX - 30 - I have no experience in this field, I hope this is enough for scaling.
INT - 40 - Seems like the sweet spot unless you rely more heavily on spells or want that Logan spell

I know END and especially VIT seem low, and more so when you consider I want this character for PVP as well, but I was thinking of having the Ring of Favor and Protection, that how I'll balance those lacking stats.

This build probably sucks, so I'd like your suggestions.

ixix

Darkroot already takes place during the day, you're just so deep down in a crevice and shrouded in mist that it's really dark. You can see the sun by looking up at the sky in several places.

I suppose I probably should have said "in the daylight" instead of "during the day" in that post, but the general point still stands. If that's Darkroot then the place has never looked cheerier.

Do I have to collect all the rare weapons in one character to get the trophy, or is it okay to use both ?

All the rare weapons need to have been held by a single character for the trophy. Getting half on one character and half on another doesn't cut it.

I got the Seath taildrop and Channelers Trident (!!!! took me 80 kills, ~25 runs). That means I am only missing Cursed Sword Of Astorias to get the rare weapons trophy. Next up running through TotG and NLR, then Lost Izalith. Ugh.

I also lost 15 humanities and 1,2 million souls second time this time by sommersaulting off the invisible bridge in Crystal Caves. Whoops.

Mxrz

Died to the Iron Golem on my low level character. I'm shamed. Glanced at Tarkus to see how he managed to get stuck, and the Golem knocked me off the ledge. Got 'em the 2nd time. Now its a question of what to do with the 40,000 souls. The Giant black smith isn't far off, but those asshole Knight archers and that ledge have habit of being dicks. Seems like I always get invaded there too.

No damage and no health makes for a different game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom